Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 01/15/2009, 07:41 AM   #601
GlassReef
Got Reef

LobsterMan - thanks and welcome aboard.

EnglishRebel - I've only got a Grizzly 2HP - but it does suck!

tanya72806 - that Fritz stuff is expensive! - but I will look in to it.

No matter how much you try to push the envelope, it remains stationary.
Unread 01/15/2009, 07:49 AM   #602
GlassReef
Got Reef

OK - so I started setting up the rock. I immediately found out that it's not as easy as I thought to man handle rocks the size of the ones I ordered - so I decided to go minimalist. Actually I think it's probably not a bad idea. It will give the corals a lot more room to grow.

Here's a couple of pics of what I've done so far - just the right half of the tank. Remember there will be a 1" layer of sand added. It's all still subject to change, but as a start - what do you all think?

It all looks pretty flat in the pics. Actually, there is 20" from front to back.

The highest rock is about 17". I didn't want to go too high - being the optimist that I am - I expect the corals to add quite a bit to the hight.

Unread 01/15/2009, 08:16 AM   #603
mflamb
Registered Member

I like it. I took the "minimalist" approach this time also. Just make sure you put in enough rock for adequate surface area for bacterial growth.

If you have a large piece that you're not going to use, I'll purchase it from you. I need one more piece of rock.

Click on my red house to see my 390 and 300 build thread. Those are my last 2 tanks in Tampa. Now in Pasadena waiting to buy a house to set up my next tank....anemones and clowns...probably a 3x3 150 gallon.
Unread 01/15/2009, 08:21 AM   #604
Elliott
Registered Member

great idea with the acrylic stands, I suppose you made those too, Tom you are killing me with your talent

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Unread 01/15/2009, 08:26 AM   #605
GlassReef
Got Reef

Hey, Mike. When I ordered the rock I had lots plans going through my head - caves and outcrops, etc. When your talking 20lbs chunks of rock, reality (and physics) quickly sets in. To be honest though, the more I look at it the more I like it. Out to be nice for fish too - lots of room to swim.

Unread 01/15/2009, 08:32 AM   #606
GlassReef
Got Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by Elliott
great idea with the acrylic stands ...
Hey, Elliott - yes, but it wasn't mine. Don't really remember where I saw it first, but thanks to whoever it was.

As far as talent is concerned - there's a difference between cutting pieces of acrylic and, well ... ah you know ...

Unread 01/15/2009, 08:58 AM   #607
Leonardo_
TRC

I'm a great fan of the minimalist approach. It looks great!

Leonardo

Unread 01/15/2009, 09:17 AM   #608
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

Looks good Tom I was going to order some 1/2" acrylic rod and 1/8" sheet to make up rock stands. I thought it was a great idea -- but not mine. I also thought about using football tees but not having played American football (I played English football aka soccer ) I didn't know how big or suitable they would be. While I'm out today I'll check them out.

That's good looking rock. Did you get it from Bulk Reef Supply? I have 50lb of their Fiji Acro Rox coming today. I wouldn't worry about not having enough in the DT for efficient biological filtration as I believe that you have a large sump and refugium where you can add more.
I too like a more open look -- it leaves lots of swimming room. I see some tanks that have the entire back covered in a rock wall.
Keep up the good work.

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. "
Sir Winston Churchill praising those young RAF pilots.
August 20th 1940
Click on my name for drop down list and select "Visit EnglishRebels Home Page" for my build thread.

Current Tank Info: 60x30x24 200G AO custom glass tank, basement equipment room, 30G and 55G Fuges, LifeReef sump & 30" skimmer.
Unread 01/15/2009, 09:28 AM   #609
mcrist
Premium Member

I really like the way you raised your rock of the bottom of the tank. Nice job. I can't wait to see it in your tank.

Current Tank Info: 450 Gallon Peninsula
Unread 01/15/2009, 09:30 AM   #610
GlassReef
Got Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonardo_
I'm a great fan of the minimalist approach. It looks great!
Quite a compliment, considering it's comming from the creator of the Formosa Forest! Thanks so much!

Unread 01/15/2009, 09:34 AM   #611
Oldtimer
Registered Member

I agree with the minimalist approach. I plan to take a similar approach in my 240 so the SPS can really take off and have room to grow. I thought about 150 lbs max. Did you end up using all 150 lbs that you ordered? If not, how much?

Great work so far. I wish I had your workshop and skills!! Just getting by with my Grizzly G0444, Kreg jig and mostly Dewalt hand tools. One of these days, I'll find room for a jointer and pick up a nice planer. I also want to stick a Grizzly dust collector in the corner of my work room.

Building the Reef, One piece at a time.

Current Tank Info: 240 g Display, 450 g total system SPS dominated Reef.
Unread 01/15/2009, 09:39 AM   #612
GlassReef
Got Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by EnglishRebel
... thought about using football tees but not having played American football (I played English football aka soccer ) I didn't know how big or suitable they would be. While I'm out today I'll check them out.

That's good looking rock. Did you get it from Bulk Reef Supply? I have 50lb of their Fiji Acro Rox coming today. I wouldn't worry about not having enough in the DT for efficient biological filtration as I believe that you have a large sump and refugium where you can add more.
I too like a more open look -- it leaves lots of swimming room. I see some tanks that have the entire back covered in a rock wall.
Keep up the good work.
Hey, Alan. Thanks! Football Tees - now that's original. If you decide to go the acrylic rod route, I'd suggest going a little thicker than 1/8" - the rods need quite a bit of hold.

I got the rocks at MarcoRocks.com. They're the same as EcoRox Pukani.

Unread 01/15/2009, 09:42 AM   #613
GlassReef
Got Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrist
I really like the way you raised your rock of the bottom of the tank. Nice job.
Thank you, Mark. I appreciate your comments.

Unread 01/15/2009, 09:44 AM   #614
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by GlassReef Hey, Alan. Thanks! Football Tees - now that's original. If you decide to go the acrylic rod route, I'd suggest going a little thicker than 1/8" - the rods need quite a bit of hold.
Okay I'll go 1/4".

Quote:
Originally posted by GlassReef
I got the rocks at MarcoRocks.com. They're the same as EcoRox Pukani.
I thought MarcoRocks were not entirely dead (I read it here on RC). The Eco Rox are guaranteed not to have any life at all.

August 20th 1940
Click on my name for drop down list and select "Visit EnglishRebels Home Page" for my build thread.

Current Tank Info: 60x30x24 200G AO custom glass tank, basement equipment room, 30G and 55G Fuges, LifeReef sump & 30" skimmer.
Unread 01/15/2009, 09:49 AM   #615
GlassReef
Got Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldtimer
I agree with the minimalist approach. I plan to take a similar approach in my 240 so the SPS can really take off and have room to grow. I thought about 150 lbs max. Did you end up using all 150 lbs that you ordered? If not, how much?

Great work so far. I wish I had your workshop and skills!! Just getting by with my Grizzly G0444, Kreg jig and mostly Dewalt hand tools. One of these days, I'll find room for a jointer and pick up a nice planer. I also want to stick a Grizzly dust collector in the corner of my work room.
Thanks for your comments, OldTimer (I told you before, I love saying that ).

I used about 140lbs and my space is 94.5" X 34.5"

Nothing wrong with a Grizz G0444 - one of the best contractor saws around! I don't build anything without a Kreg Jig. Get a jointer and planer and your skill level automatically jumps by several magnitudes.

Unread 01/15/2009, 10:01 AM   #616
GlassReef
Got Reef

Quote:
I thought MarcoRocks were not entirely dead (I read it here on RC). The Eco Rox are guaranteed not to have any life at all.
I ordered some from BRS, before they ran out - must of been 3-4 months ago. It's the same rock I received from MarcoRocks. That said - maybe BRS is putting their latest rock through some kind of cleaning process - although I don't see how they could do that.

This type of rock (what I have) was taken out of the reef and laid in the sun to bleach. There is nothing "alive" on or in it, but it definitely needs to be "cured" or cleaned - whatever you want to call it. I'll be leaving mine in the tank for about 2 months with no lights, full skimming, GFO and carbon, and daily blasts with a strong pump to loosen/remove detritus.

Unread 01/15/2009, 11:18 AM   #617
Typhon
Force of Nature

I picked up about 300 lbs of Marco rock for my system. I had very dead matter on the it.

Great stuff!! Good choice!

Current Tank Info: Tank Broken Down
Unread 01/15/2009, 02:59 PM   #618
TandN
Registered Member.

looks good how about a nice piece in front of them on the right not touching them of course like 4-5" away from then make a raceway sort of. I also went with flat pieces. Heres a few pics of what I did with my Marco

Unread 01/15/2009, 03:06 PM   #619
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by GlassReef
I ordered some from BRS, before they ran out - must of been 3-4 months ago. It's the same rock I received from MarcoRocks. That said - maybe BRS is putting their latest rock through some kind of cleaning process - although I don't see how they could do that.

This type of rock (what I have) was taken out of the reef and laid in the sun to bleach. There is nothing "alive" on or in it, but it definitely needs to be "cured" or cleaned - whatever you want to call it. I'll be leaving mine in the tank for about 2 months with no lights, full skimming, GFO and carbon, and daily blasts with a strong pump to loosen/remove detritus.
Tom
If there is nothing alive on it or in it, why do you need to clean?. BRS guarantee that there is nothing on or in their rock. I checked mine today and it's as clean as a whistle -- no detritus, no smell, but a little color here and there.
Having said that I haven't used it so I will see what happens when it goes in my refugium along with cured LR to seed it. I will have my skimmer hooked up so we will see what happens.
I'm waiting on my sand and some acrylic to make up little "chairs" to sit the rock 3" off the bottom of the tank.

August 20th 1940

Unread 01/15/2009, 03:18 PM   #620
GlassReef
Got Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by tanya72806
[B]... how about a nice piece in front of them on the right not touching them of course like 4-5" away from then make a raceway sort of.
I put a piece there - looks good - thanks.

I like what you did with yours - gives you plenty of overhangs, and such. Your fish are going to love it.

Unread 01/15/2009, 03:24 PM   #621
GlassReef
Got Reef

Quote:
If there is nothing alive on it or in it, why do you need to clean?. BRS guarantee that there is nothing on or in their rock. I checked mine today and it's as clean as a whistle -- no detritus, no smell, but a little color here and there.

I'm waiting on my sand and some acrylic to make up little "chairs" to sit the rock 3" off the bottom of the tank.
Mine has pieces of dead sponges, etc. - not a lot, but it's there. It doesn't smell, but I definitely wouldn't try to use it "as is". I guess BRS has figured out a way to clean theirs before they sell it.

Your acrylic chair idea sounds interesting - I'll be watching for your description and pics.

Unread 01/15/2009, 04:00 PM   #622
TandN
Registered Member.

English it is a MUST to cycle this rock. Everything that dried up on it and in it it just lurking in it waiting to be released once its in water. It seems fine now but when the water gets in it and the rock starts to absorb the water it will expell all the crude that was on it that dried out and died

Unread 01/15/2009, 04:03 PM   #623
TandN
Registered Member.

Tom thank you for the nice remark. I have 9 Bartletts a mated pair of Bangii's a trio of blue chromis a F.Perc a pair of grade A Picasso's a mystery wrasse a sohal tang a pair of twin spot gobies and a CBB and they love swimming around in and out of the holes

Unread 01/15/2009, 04:07 PM   #624
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by tanya72806
English it is a MUST to cycle this rock. Everything that dried up on it and in it it just lurking in it waiting to be released once its in water. It seems fine now but when the water gets in it and the rock starts to absorb the water it will expell all the crude that was on it that dried out and died
Tanya
Thanks for that advice. I'm going to put it in my fuge with a sand bed and some of the cured LR that is currently in my QT tank. That way my fuge is connected to my sump which has a skimmer and heater (but no display -- yet). So when my DT arrives in about 5 weeks and it goes "online" the rock will have a good start with seeding.

August 20th 1940

Unread 01/15/2009, 04:42 PM   #625
TandN
Registered Member.

No prob.

Closed Thread