Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 01/15/2009, 07:37 PM   #976
o0jmadr0x0o
Registered Member

i saw that sunlight supply sells replacement tek reflectors, does anyone know the dimensions of these reflectors?

Current Tank Info: 75g
Unread 01/15/2009, 08:16 PM   #977
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

They are sections for 2 and 4 lamps. About 2" wide per lamp.

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
Unread 01/15/2009, 10:24 PM   #978
rstriby
Registered Member

hey Grim

the tank I am setting up is 60L x 18Wx 24. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to keep but I want clams to be an option. I have been looking at reef geeks for retro kits. due to space limitations I can only have 6 lights.

My question is do I need to get 60'' bulbs or can I use 48''

I have been looking at the icecap retro's. Do I have to overdrive them or is HO enough.

If I have to overdrive them I have a question about the cooling. would 2 4inch icecap fans blowing from the back of the canopy in (down the caps) be enough. or do i need more than that. The back of the canopy will be open.

last question
can you give me the best bulb config. I would like it to look bright with a blue tint. enough to make the fish and corals pop. as well as healthy for sps corals and possibly a clam

Thanks for all your time and info. This is a great thread

Unread 01/15/2009, 10:59 PM   #979
o0jmadr0x0o
Registered Member

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/index...OD&ProdID=2808

how are those reflectors?
i am trying to replace the reflector that came with my light, it is one large reflector that is bent around each bulb so i guess it is "individual" reflectors but i just dont think its rely working that great. will this be a good upgrade or should i focus on getting quality bulbs?
what first...... bulbs or reflectors(if the ones i listed would even work)?

Unread 01/15/2009, 11:52 PM   #980
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rstriby
hey Grim

the tank I am setting up is 60L x 18Wx 24. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to keep but I want clams to be an option. I have been looking at reef geeks for retro kits. due to space limitations I can only have 6 lights.

I have been looking at the icecap retro's. Do I have to overdrive them or is HO enough.

If I have to overdrive them I have a question about the cooling. would 2 4inch icecap fans blowing from the back of the canopy in (down the caps) be enough. or do i need more than that. The back of the canopy will be open.

last question
can you give me the best bulb config. I would like it to look bright with a blue tint. enough to make the fish and corals pop. as well as healthy for sps corals and possibly a clam

I'd do 4 lamps overdriven and 2 normally driven The IC fans at each end are fine

Front
ATI Blue Plus Normally driven
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
Unread 01/16/2009, 12:02 AM   #981
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by o0jmadr0x0o
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/index...OD&ProdID=2808

how are those reflectors?
i am trying to replace the reflector that came with my light, it is one large reflector that is bent around each bulb so i guess it is "individual" reflectors but i just dont think its rely working that great. will this be a good upgrade or should i focus on getting quality bulbs?
what first...... bulbs or reflectors(if the ones i listed would even work)?

It is a good reflector unit but you need to check your lamp spacing.

That reflector is made for lamp spacing of about 2 3/8 inches apart.

If the lamps are less than 2" apart the only option I know of is a guy was able to mount one Ice Cap reflector for two lamps on a Catalina fixture.

Unread 01/16/2009, 12:41 AM   #982
o0jmadr0x0o
Registered Member

well the stock "individual reflectors" are 2" wide each, and i emailed hellolights and they said i have 2" above each bulb if i remove the stock reflector. would i be able to squeeze the tek reflectors in there?
is it worth it? or would i be better of getting some ati bulbs?

Unread 01/16/2009, 02:53 AM   #983
jc16
Registered Member

hello just need some advice here, i have a fixture with 3 400w and 12 39w t5s. For the mh i will be using aquaconnect 14k jsut wondering what would be the best t5 combination for those halides, i was thinking 10 ati 22k blue plus and 2 fiji purples? there are 6 t5s on each side of the 400w halides in 3 rows, thanks!

Unread 01/16/2009, 05:02 AM   #984
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

Grim, thanks for the advice on the T5s for my tank. Here's the result:

4 80w Aquamedic Sunbeams with individual Tek Reflectors staggered over my 8ft tank:

Left to Right, and front to back:

Aquamedic OceanBlue(Similar to ATI Blue +)
Giesemann Pure Actinic
Koralen Zurcht Fiji Purple
ATI Aquablue

Unread 01/16/2009, 01:18 PM   #985
atlfishes
Registered Member

I have an acrylic tank and part of the tank top is enclosed by 3/8 inch acrylic. I have 4 x54w T5s over the opening, but if I added two more they would be over the acrylic. Any idea of how much light I would lose? I don't want to throw away money.

Unread 01/16/2009, 01:56 PM   #986
ernordstrom
Registered Member

WOW! The staggering of the bulbs has a great effect on the tank lighting...nice job!!

Quote:
Originally posted by InsaneClownFish

4 80w Aquamedic Sunbeams with individual Tek Reflectors staggered over my 8ft tank:

Giesemann Pure Actinic
ATI Aquablue

Unread 01/16/2009, 02:28 PM   #987
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by o0jmadr0x0o
well the stock "individual reflectors" are 2" wide each, and i emailed hellolights and they said i have 2" above each bulb if i remove the stock reflector. would i be able to squeeze the tek reflectors in there?
is it worth it? or would i be better of getting some ati bulbs?
If the stock reflectors are 2" wide use Aquactinics retro reflectors. They are 2" wide.

Unread 01/16/2009, 02:29 PM   #988
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jc16
hello just need some advice here, i have a fixture with 3 400w and 12 39w t5s. For the mh i will be using aquaconnect 14k jsut wondering what would be the best t5 combination for those halides, i was thinking 10 ati 22k blue plus and 2 fiji purples? there are 6 t5s on each side of the 400w halides in 3 rows, thanks!
That would be good.

Unread 01/16/2009, 02:31 PM   #989
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by InsaneClownFish

Giesemann Pure Actinic
ATI Aquablue

Nice

Unread 01/16/2009, 02:33 PM   #990
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by atlfishes
I have an acrylic tank and part of the tank top is enclosed by 3/8 inch acrylic. I have 4 x54w T5s over the opening, but if I added two more they would be over the acrylic. Any idea of how much light I would lose? I don't want to throw away money.
Clean acrylic doesn't cut a lot of light. If its grungy with salt creep or whatever you waste a lot of light

Unread 01/16/2009, 02:37 PM   #991
atlfishes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Clean acrylic doesn't cut a lot of light. If its grungy with salt creep or whatever you waste a lot of light
Are there any good 1 bulb retro kits?

Unread 01/16/2009, 02:54 PM   #992
Big Brother
Registered Member

Grim, thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions. Here's a two part.

Part 1:
I am going to be running 8 x 24" HO T5 bulbs in my new 90 gallon cube (30x30x24), and was planning on buying 2 IceCap 4 bulb retro kits, priced at around $ 600. Then I was looking around on MD, and I saw that Giesemann 2 x 54 HO T5 retro kits are under $ 100. So to get a total of 8 bulbs I would buy 4 kits, which is under $ 400.

What is the difference between the manufaturers? Does anyone see an issue with going with the Guisemanns?

Part 2:
What bulbs do you recommend to get the best growth to color pop ratio? I don't want the tank to look too blue, just probably like a 12k. A really crisp white with a tint of blue, but as much coral color as possible. Maybe I'm too demanding .

The tank will be a completely mixed reef, of course that includes SPS.

Thanks in advance.
Blake

Unread 01/16/2009, 03:34 PM   #993
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Brother
Grim, thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions. Here's a two part.

Part 1:
I am going to be running 8 x 24" HO T5 bulbs in my new 90 gallon cube (30x30x24), and was planning on buying 2 IceCap 4 bulb retro kits, priced at around $ 600. Then I was looking around on MD, and I saw that Giesemann 2 x 54 HO T5 retro kits are under $ 100. So to get a total of 8 bulbs I would buy 4 kits, which is under $ 400.

What is the difference between the manufaturers? Does anyone see an issue with going with the Guisemanns?

Part 2:
What bulbs do you recommend to get the best growth to color pop ratio? I don't want the tank to look too blue, just probably like a 12k. A really crisp white with a tint of blue, but as much coral color as possible. Maybe I'm too demanding .

Thanks in advance.
Blake

You just missed Reefgeek's sale they had on the retro kits. I would call them and see if they can work something out.

Look into the Reefgeek brand reflectors. They are the same price as the IceCap but have better performance. Maybe reefgeek can get you a deal on their products?

The Geisemann brand reflectors aren't as good as the IC or RG.

As for bulbs:

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL 75/25 or GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus or ATI Aquablue

You could try that

Unread 01/16/2009, 04:47 PM   #994
rstriby
Registered Member

sorry quick question

was that 48 inch or 60 inch bulbs.

hey Grim

last question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd do 4 lamps overdriven and 2 normally driven The IC fans at each end are fine

Front
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

Unread 01/16/2009, 05:39 PM   #995
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by atlfishes
Are there any good 1 bulb retro kits?

You can check and see if reefgeek or Hellolights can put one together for you/

Unread 01/16/2009, 06:16 PM   #996
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Brother

Part 1:

Part 2:

Thanks in advance.
Blake
I really don't know anything about the Giesemann retros. The description on the website doesnt really help. There is no 99.8% reflective material as they claim, I've never seen or ever heard of their ballast that has been on the market for years etc. Also when you are pricing the kits make sure you consider that reefgeek's include lamps, Giesemanns doesn't

Unread 01/16/2009, 06:20 PM   #997
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

I'd do the 48" lamps. Better lamp selection and the shipping cost for replacement lamps is a lot better.

Quote:
Originally posted by rstriby
sorry quick question

was that 48 inch or 60 inch bulbs.

hey Grim

last question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Front
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

Unread 01/16/2009, 07:58 PM   #998
Crustman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Whats the old saying about teaching a fish to man and he could walk to MacDonald's....

Think about how your lamps are grouped.

The Blues are at one area, The white w blue tit are in the back and your off color (Fiji and Midday) are clumped in the center.

You want to have the spectrum blended and spread out as much as possible. You also want the unique lamps about midway or toward in the tank so the light strikes the viewing side of the corals.

front

Blue Plus
Aquablue
Fiji Purple
Blue Plus
Midday
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Hey Grim,

Thanks for all your help. Here are the bulbs in the above order for my first reef tank. Everything is doing great. I can even keep croceas!

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon reef with 8 T-5's, ATI Blue Plus, Blue Special, KZ Fiji Purple, Vertex IN 100, phosphate and carbon reactor Coralife Turbo Sea Pump
Unread 01/16/2009, 10:19 PM   #999
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Crustman
Hey Grim,

Thanks for all your help. Here are the bulbs in the above order for my first reef tank. Everything is doing great. I can even keep croceas!

Looks good.

Unread 01/16/2009, 10:19 PM   #1000
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1553614

Closed Thread