Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2009, 01:15 PM   #1
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Finally a Tank Thread: Pics of my 33g from the beginning until now

I decided to put everything into one thread instead of having several tank threads scattered through the board. I'm doing it partially because I was going through some of my old pics, and also because we have a few new tanks around this size. I hope mine can serve as a bit of inspiration by giving "I like that" and "I'd like to avoid that" ideas for the new tanks.

So, a bit of background;
The first tank went up in Jan of 08. It was actually a 25g tank for the first few months. I bought the current 33g and transferred everything straight over to the 33g. The original tank was an Eclipse 25g with upgraded lighting and a slightly modded hood. I didn't add any new sand or rock, so I still see it as the same tank, just different glass.

This was the initial 25g layout on Day One, 18 Jan 08

This was probably around March or April

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2009, 01:22 PM   #2
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Now we're on to the 33g stage.

this is everything in the 33g, on 12 May 08.

This is a FTS on 27 Aug 08

14 October 08

22 Dec 08

19 Feb 09

27 Feb 09

Unread 02/28/2009, 01:31 PM   #3
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Here's the sump. It's a 10g with a Coralife Super Skimmer 65, a small refugeum and an Ocean Runner 2500 for the return. ATO is covered by a system from autotopoff.com and a 2.5g reservoir.

the skimmer was modded by adding a pump and airstone inside the skimmer body. It made a big difference in the skimmate I collect.

This is the whole sump area. There's a T fitting on the return line that allows me to close off the return to the tank and drain the return section of the sump for easy water changes.

Unread 02/28/2009, 01:37 PM   #4
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Here's a small bit on the corals and other animals in the tank and some pics that show the details of the rock layout. It's basically a wall, but has lots of projections, including the 3 that reach out into the sandbed .

Unread 02/28/2009, 01:41 PM   #5
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Unread 02/28/2009, 09:32 PM   #6
magellan007
Registered Member

wow..awesome progression. Thanks for the thread.

Unread 03/01/2009, 01:04 PM   #7
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Thanks a lot!

I guess I forgot to mention lighting in the first few posts. The tank started off with 2x 24" T5s when it was a 25g. It then went to a 250w SE MH retro for a while.

Now I"m running the 2 T5's about 10 or 11hrs a day. I have Gueissman bulbs, Actinic+ in the back and AquaBlue in the front. Between them is a 20k 175w MH rerofit.

Unread 06/22/2009, 05:57 PM   #8
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

How about an update? It's been a while and the tank has been through a lot since the last update.

It went through its first crash a few months ago when I introduced a bit of copper into the system through a water change. I lost all my SPS except a scroll coral, the clam and a few others.

Everything was recovering well in my 14g BioCube and I moved everything back to the 33g when I got married and moved in with my wife and didn't check the heater knob. The 90* mistake cost me my clown pair, my angel, all of my newly acquired SPS, my anemone and every LPS except my candycane corals and what I think is a favites colony.

The zoas, rics candy canes, and other shrooms recovered and my YWG made it through too.

I thought I lost a smaller BTA I had, but I found a nickle sized survivor yesterday. The favites colony was also a newly discovered survivor. Anyway, here are some pics of the the corals that hung on through the storm.

Recovering BTA

Zoas and Rics

And the small Scopas Tang that I'm hoping will take care of some algae issues in the tank. He won't be stuck in there for long. I will re-home him in November.

I wont' be adding much over the summer since I will be moving in November. All of this will be back in the 14g BioCube at that time. I may look for a few LPS to fill some of the voids after the big loss, but that will come when I'm a little less strapped for cash.

Anyway, more pics will come if anything cool happens

Unread 06/24/2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Very nice, Cody.

Good job, Cody... Beautiful specimens in there...I feel for your SPS losses. I am having some tissue necrosis on my SPS, and will be fragging all the colonies in hopes of having a good startup for the new tank. Will frag, treat, QT. and treat some more... If I don't kill them all, they'll be clean going into the new tank...

Hope you don't have any more issues this Summer. Very noce Scopas tang...

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2009, 11:28 PM   #10
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I don't anticipate any chances for problems. The tank is well enough established that it almost runs on autopilot. Since I have all beginner level corals I could probably just make sure the ATO reservoir is full, the fish get fed and the skimer cup emptied and not touch the tank for 2 months and not have a single issue.

Despite the die off I saw, my water conditions are nearly perfect and the corals are all happy and puffy. The Scopas and YWG are eating like piggs and the CUC is filling in where they miss. i'm pretty much on cruise control now

Unread 06/25/2009, 07:05 AM   #11
Reef Happy
Registered Member

Really nice set up Cody. Nice pics. What camera do you use? Love the zoas. You are loaded down with frags and coral for just a 33g, but I must say you have selected some nice ones..

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone"
Ronald Reagan

(Eagles) LIFE'S BEEN GOOD

Current Tank Info: 300 Gal starfire Reef Tank, SPS, LPS and zoas, 3-LumenMax MH fixtures driven by 250 watt icecap's and Radium bulbs, 2-Tunze 6105 controllable pumps with 7095 multi controller, 100 gal sump/refugium... 100 gal tank with T-5's
Reef Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2009, 09:09 AM   #12
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

The pics starting in Feb 09 were shot with a Nikon d40 and the 'stock' lens. The last set, the post crash pics, were shot with my new Cannon Rebel XTi, again with the stock lens.

Unread 07/03/2009, 11:09 PM   #13
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Here's a FTS from a few days ago.

I've also been pleasantly surprised to find a plating acro, and a scroll coral that are still hanging on. I thought they were dead so I tossed the behind the LR. Luckily they stuck right side up, near the top and I happened to notice them over the last few days. There are only a few polyps alive on each piece, but they're polyped out like crazy and are coloring up nice. I'll post pics as they grow.

Unread 07/04/2009, 08:16 PM   #14
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

here are some of the survivors. They're a little out of focus, but they show the damage and beginnings of regrowth.

Unread 07/05/2009, 05:24 AM   #15
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

It's like Christmas to find those tough little guys that survived...

How's the temp in your tank with the 175W MH?

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Unread 07/05/2009, 08:33 AM   #16
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

it's a rock solid 78-79* at all times. I don't need a fan either. This is in an enclosed canopy at that. I ran a fan with th e250w and it kept it the same temp. the light was just a little too much IMO.

It definitely is like christmas. My wife got a kick when I got excited about little yellow and purple dots in the tank, haha!

Unread 11/19/2009, 11:44 PM   #17
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Alrighty, it's update time. I got some new gems over the last month or 2, so I thought I'd share

My new lobo

My newest lobo

Tyree green monti when I first got it and after a couple weeks of growth. There's also a nice orange in there

A really nice staghorn. I couldn't capture the teals and blues in this coral. It's stunning

Green/teal mili

Right to left: Green birdsnest, Tyree Blue Chalice, Chips Acro

Some sort of people eater...it's not quite red, not quite purple, but does have hints of green on the skirt. Not bad for $5

Neon green plate

Nukes

Unread 11/19/2009, 11:45 PM   #18
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

And the fish

A YWG that I"ve had for about a year and a half

and a pair of small clarkii clowns

And the FTS. The tank is in "frag mode" so I can tear it down and move it easily. i'll be doing that in january, so I'll detail that process for both tanks and post results.

lastly, I wanted to pass along a bit thanks to those of you who sold me coral along the way. I'm looking forward to seeing them grow and flourish.

Unread 11/20/2009, 05:04 AM   #19
Pudge957
Registered Member

Looks real good. I'm digging your rock work. How do you have your frag rack mounted? Is it just sitting on the rocks?

Current Tank Info: 34g Solana, 250w Sunpod, VorTech MP20, JBJ ATO, RK2
Pudge957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2009, 08:57 AM   #20
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Thanks!
It's more or less just propped up on the rocks. There is a cheap magnetic glass cleaner on the back right that gives that side support, but the front and left are just sitting on the rock. It was a quick job that seems to work really well for now.

There isn't anything really hard mounted to the rock aside from the newest acros. I'm leaving it this way because I'll be moving the tank soon and don't want to have to break the rocks or risk damaging the coral in a rock bucket. Instead, I'm going to build a layered frag rack into a 5g bucket and just drop everything in the rack for the move. I'll put a heater and small pump in the bottom to keep the water moving along the way. It should be a pretty seamless transition

Unread 11/22/2009, 07:12 PM   #21
Reef Happy
Registered Member

Cody, your tank is looking nice. Looking for to seeing the grow out.

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone"
Ronald Reagan

(Eagles) LIFE'S BEEN GOOD

Current Tank Info: 300 Gal starfire Reef Tank, SPS, LPS and zoas, 3-LumenMax MH fixtures driven by 250 watt icecap's and Radium bulbs, 2-Tunze 6105 controllable pumps with 7095 multi controller, 100 gal sump/refugium... 100 gal tank with T-5's
Reef Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2009, 09:36 PM   #22
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I can't wait to see it take off myself. I'm seeing a lot of growth in the two monti caps that have been in the tank a few weeks, as well as the chalice. Hopefully these acros (now on frag plugs) will show some good growth too. The water parameters are all within the ideal range, so it's up to them now. I have some new pics that I"ll post shortly. I got some better ones of the lobo and the people eaters I have in there.

Unread 11/23/2009, 03:17 AM   #23
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Alright, some new pics are finally up. Here's one of the new lobo that shows off its colors much better

a better pic of the Nukes

Can anyone ID this people eater? This is a shot that shows its color better than the other. it's almost rainbowish with the blues, reds, and greens

and finally a good one of the cyphastrea

Unread 11/23/2009, 04:56 AM   #24
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

I don't see any algae, cyano or diatoms! That's some great work in a nano... Looks like you're getting good growth, too. Congrats, Cody.

LL

Unread 11/23/2009, 09:15 AM   #25
Lytehouse
seeker of knowledge

Awesome pics Cody. Great color in the corals apparently nice growth.

Haven't seen that PE, sorry, but it's wonderful. Is it on CORALPEDIA ?

As I looked at your pics again, wow you are packed with flow..... sps must love your little tank !!!!

The challenge is the fun.
Lytehouse is offline   Reply With Quote