Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/01/2009, 06:44 PM   #151
2frosty4u
Registered Member

Have you plugged in a light or something else to confirm that the DC8 pug is actually de-energized? May be an ACIII issue. Just a thought.

Unread 03/01/2009, 07:16 PM   #152
Tswifty
Registered Member

The Reef Fanatic Solenoid is needed to allow CO2 to pass through. otherwise it's in a normally closed state. I plugged the solenoid into another outlet and the light indicator on the solenoid kicked on to show that the solenoid is "open" and allowing CO2 to flow. I then unplugged the solenoid, and the light kicked off again... however CO2 continued to flow, and the bubble count did not stop.

So something is wrong with the solenoid that it is not closing when the power is cut.

Unread 03/01/2009, 08:10 PM   #153
Padrino
Registered Member

you may still have CO2 in the line after the soleniod which is why you may see some co2 bubbles after it shut off. Please keep an eye on the zeomag. i bought a bag and then began reading the GEO thread once i ordered it. I know some people use zeomag on top of the ca media in their reactors, that was my initial plan but i have read that in order for Zeomag to be effective the ph in the reactor needs to be lower to disolve the media. lower than the ph needed for the ca media. Test the levels regularily and look to see if it is breaking down in your current ph level. Let me know what you find. It will still be a while before i need to bring mine online

Unread 03/01/2009, 08:15 PM   #154
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Padrino
you may still have CO2 in the line after the soleniod which is why you may see some co2 bubbles after it shut off.
I thought so at first as well, but it's been going all day.
Quote:
Please keep an eye on the zeomag. i bought a bag and then began reading the GEO thread once i ordered it. I know some people use zeomag on top of the ca media in their reactors, that was my initial plan but i have read that in order for Zeomag to be effective the ph in the reactor needs to be lower to disolve the media. lower than the ph needed for the ca media. Test the levels regularily and look to see if it is breaking down in your current ph level. Let me know what you find. It will still be a while before i need to bring mine online.
Will do. Although I'm planning on picking up a Peristaltic dosing pump for Magnesium that will keep my Mag level constant around 1440 ppm... instead of dosing it up each weekend like I'm currently doing.

Unread 03/02/2009, 08:52 AM   #155
Tswifty
Registered Member

Have some new additions coming my way...

Hopefully this guy will work for pest control:

a pair of these:

...and also a surprise from the Diver's Den. After that it'll be time to sit back and let my tank mature, as it will be basically stocked, and I don't plan on adding anything else (coral or fish-wise) for a while.

Unread 03/02/2009, 09:03 AM   #156
maroun.c
Registered Member

Looking nice TJ. Its good all your delayed fish and corals made it fine.
what type of wrass is this?

Current Tank Info: 390G mixed reef
Unread 03/02/2009, 09:49 AM   #157
PhilipOSU
Registered Member

TJ is that the Christmas Wrasse?

Unread 03/02/2009, 10:00 AM   #158
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilipOSU
TJ is that the Christmas Wrasse?
Yep.

The one in the picture is a female. I believe the male's coloration differs a little, and does not have the black dot on the dorsal fin. LiveAquaria didn't have an option to specifically choose a male or female, so I have no idea which will show up.
Quote:
Originally posted by maroun.c
Looking nice TJ. Its good all your delayed fish and corals made it fine.
what type of wrass is this?
Thanks. I was very surprised how well everything shipped and has responded up to this point.

The wrasse as Phil correctly pointed out, is a Christmas Wrasse.

Unread 03/02/2009, 12:15 PM   #159
PhilipOSU
Registered Member

All 3 will make very nice additions

Unread 03/02/2009, 07:04 PM   #160
Padrino
Registered Member

Sweet that will be nice in your tank! definately let me know what im up against with the magnesium and if you do decide to get a separate pump to dose mag.. let me knwo how that works!

Thanks

Unread 03/02/2009, 07:42 PM   #161
2frosty4u
Registered Member

Make sure that the tank is covered really well when you add the wrasse. I had one just like it for a short period of time....really short. He never survived the QT. I had him in a 35g Qt with an eggcrate cover on it because all my research showed that they are big time jumpers. There was a slight opening slightly less than the size of a quarter where the HOB entered the tank. After three weeks in Qt he must have made the most accurate thread the needle type leap straight up to have squeezed through the hole I thought no fish could get through. I'll never under estimate a fish's ability to jump again. When I found him the next morning, he was right below the small hole laying on the work bench.
I hope you have better luck than I did. Both you're choices are very great looking additions.

Unread 03/02/2009, 09:38 PM   #162
Tswifty
Registered Member

Picked up 5lbs of rubble for the refugium today:

Unread 03/02/2009, 09:43 PM   #163
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilipOSU
All 3 will make very nice additions
Thanks Phil.
Quote:
Sweet that will be nice in your tank! definately let me know what im up against with the magnesium and if you do decide to get a separate pump to dose mag.. let me knwo how that works!

Thanks
Thanks. I need to figure out what I'm going to do... I'm not sure if I want to spend the $100 it costs for one... I'll also need another dc4 or dc8 to control it as well. So it's more than likely going to go on the back burner for a while.
Quote:
Originally posted by 2frosty4u
Make sure that the tank is covered really well when you add the wrasse. I had one just like it for a short period of time....really short. He never survived the QT. I had him in a 35g Qt with an eggcrate cover on it because all my research showed that they are big time jumpers. There was a slight opening slightly less than the size of a quarter where the HOB entered the tank. After three weeks in Qt he must have made the most accurate thread the needle type leap straight up to have squeezed through the hole I thought no fish could get through. I'll never under estimate a fish's ability to jump again. When I found him the next morning, he was right below the small hole laying on the work bench.
I hope you have better luck than I did. Both you're choices are very great looking additions.
Thanks Harold, Yeah, it's going to go into QT which is fully covered. I'll be able to tell for sure if he's eating flatworms in there. Then once I get some type of top constructed for at night I'll move it to the display.

Unread 03/02/2009, 11:12 PM   #164
kudora
thread reader

just my 2 cents
i have rubble ontop of a 5 inch sand bed, with a ball of cheato with a decent amount of flow. i have to take a python to it every water change, i have so much detrius build up everymonth its crazy. dunno if i would do rubble again honestly, next decent sized serpent star i see will be going down there thats for sure. i prob have 20 of the little white ones working the rubble too.

pep shrimp and a cowrie keep the "intake" section super clean tho.

"Paul b"

Current Tank Info: 84 gallon(60x18x18) tank, 40 breeder frag, 30 gallon lps
Unread 03/03/2009, 12:01 AM   #165
OwNeD162
Registered Member

Man your sump is clean TJ!!!

Current Tank Info: 2 x 1 x 1ft + EcoSystem Pro 40 HOB + 1 x 150W DE MH, 2 x 24W Actinic, Hailea HC- 150A 1/10 HP Chiller, Vortech MP20
Unread 03/03/2009, 11:14 AM   #166
Tswifty
Registered Member

Everything is alive, and the Christmas Wrasse is a female, and only about 1-1/2." So should be a great size for my tank.

Unread 03/03/2009, 02:44 PM   #167
crvz
Team RC Member

Hey! I am currently waiting on a LA order myself, hoping to get it in the next couple minutes to meet the fedex 3pm quote. Whats even more coincidental is that I, too, am expecting a christmas wrasse.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
Unread 03/03/2009, 03:58 PM   #168
Tswifty
Registered Member

Delivery from Salty Critter. Some frozen food, filter socks, Seachem Reef Plus amino acid supplement, and an extra Spectrapure DI resin:

PE Mysis... have heard nothing but good things about it, and wanted to give it a shot.

Live Aquaria order:

Red Banded Hi-fin Gobies:

Female Christmas Wrasse:

Diver's Den Green Acropora Millepora:

Unread 03/03/2009, 04:08 PM   #169
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crvz
Hey! I am currently waiting on a LA order myself, hoping to get it in the next couple minutes to meet the fedex 3pm quote. Whats even more coincidental is that I, too, am expecting a christmas wrasse.

You'll have to post if you receive a male or female. I was wondering how they sorted it out since there isn't an option, or if it is just a random scoop and bag.

The one that showed up is tiny... maybe 1-1/2" I was planning on QT, but being that small it could shoot right through the mesh anyway... and I figured there would be a higher probability it would try and jump out of a 20 long rather than my display. So a FW dip, and into the tank it went.

Unread 03/03/2009, 04:18 PM   #170
tiffrobbins
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty
Diver's Den Green Acropora Millepora:

Absolutely Lovely! Your gobies are also inspiring

Current Tank Info: Starting Over w/ 25 Gal from Bare Basics
Unread 03/03/2009, 04:29 PM   #171
kudora
thread reader

wow that mille is awesome btw. i had one of those gobys awhile back they are great additions.

"Paul b"

Current Tank Info: 84 gallon(60x18x18) tank, 40 breeder frag, 30 gallon lps
Unread 03/03/2009, 04:31 PM   #172
PhilipOSU
Registered Member

TJ that Acro from LA is amazing. I can't believe how big it is.

Unread 03/03/2009, 05:01 PM   #173
OwNeD162
Registered Member

Fish look good TJ !
Are the gobies in a FW dip there?
And I have to agree, that Acro is amazing!!!

Current Tank Info: 2 x 1 x 1ft + EcoSystem Pro 40 HOB + 1 x 150W DE MH, 2 x 24W Actinic, Hailea HC- 150A 1/10 HP Chiller, Vortech MP20
Unread 03/03/2009, 06:20 PM   #174
crvz
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty

You'll have to post if you receive a male or female. I was wondering how they sorted it out since there isn't an option, or if it is just a random scoop and bag.

The one that showed up is tiny... maybe 1-1/2" I was planning on QT, but being that small it could shoot right through the mesh anyway... and I figured there would be a higher probability it would try and jump out of a 20 long rather than my display. So a FW dip, and into the tank it went.
Can you elaborate on how they're sexed? Is it as simple as that second spot on the dorsal? Mine looks pretty much the same as yours.

click for bigger, or visit my thread in the red house...

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
Unread 03/03/2009, 09:20 PM   #175
Tswifty
Registered Member

Nice.

The male doesn't have the spots on the dorsal fin. Here is a picture of a friend's adult male Christmas Wrasse.