Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/11/2009, 11:47 PM   #951
dzhuo
Registered Member

that's a lot. do you think this is too much for a 150g? is there a way to dial down the flow but still silent?

Unread 03/12/2009, 06:14 AM   #952
GlassReef
Got Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by dzhuo
... do you think this is too much for a 150g? is there a way to dial down the flow but still silent?
Yes, that would be too much, IMHO, for a 150gal. I used 1-1/2" pipe. You can go down to 1". Most commonly used return motors can be throttled back quite a bit. I know the Reeflo Darts, that I use, can be dialed back 60% or 70% (and more) without any problem. It's the way they're designed - watts used even goes down the less you pump.

No matter how much you try to push the envelope, it remains stationary.
Unread 03/12/2009, 07:20 AM   #953
mflamb
Registered Member

Quote:
that's a lot. do you think this is too much for a 150g? is there a way to dial down the flow but still silent?
On a 150, I would use 1 inch pipe and a Reeflo Snapper for return. You could "T" off of the return side for reactors, chiller, etc... and have plenty of sump turnover, and could still throttle it back if necessary.

Click on my red house to see my 390 and 300 build thread. Those are my last 2 tanks in Tampa. Now in Pasadena waiting to buy a house to set up my next tank....anemones and clowns...probably a 3x3 150 gallon.
Unread 03/12/2009, 01:53 PM   #954
dzhuo
Registered Member

crap, i already have the external box drilled for 3 1.5". what about the following:

Would this give me lower turnaround? (I also asked Bean about this in another thread so hopefully someone can help me out here)

I don't have a reactors (not planning to use one at this stage, thinking about dosing pump intead) or chiller so I have nothing to T off. I can probably T off a little to the fuge but that's not much...

Unread 03/12/2009, 02:14 PM   #955
brucem
Registered Member

I think you could use a dart and still have it silent. I like a lot of turn over in my tank. Mine is barebottom so I like to get the detritus out and into the sock if possible. on my 240 I use 2" drain and have the main one half open

Unread 03/12/2009, 02:15 PM   #956
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

I don't know what Tom would suggest but I believe that you should tie the two emergencies together and separate the primaries (open and syphon), (this is what BeanAnimal told me).
Also I believe that the gate valve should be on the open drain and let the syphon run without restriction -- at least that's my understanding of his design from his web site.

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. "
Sir Winston Churchill praising those young RAF pilots.
August 20th 1940
Click on my name for drop down list and select "Visit EnglishRebels Home Page" for my build thread.

Current Tank Info: 60x30x24 200G AO custom glass tank, basement equipment room, 30G and 55G Fuges, LifeReef sump & 30" skimmer.
Unread 03/12/2009, 02:20 PM   #957
dzhuo
Registered Member

Alan,
The reason why I have 3 1.5" holes drilled is because I was planning to use BeanAnimal's design but since I am pretty new to plumbing, I am worrying that I might not be able to set up Bean's design properly. This design I posted above isn't the same as Bean, it's a herbie design with a couple emergency drains.

I would still go with Bean's design but the huge turnover seems unnecessary because my tank is only 150g.

Unread 03/12/2009, 02:26 PM   #958
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

Quote:
Alan,
The reason why I have 3 1.5" holes drilled is because I was planning to use BeanAnimal's design but since I am pretty new to plumbing, I am worrying that I might not be able to set up Bean's design properly. This design I posted above isn't the same as Bean, it's a herbie design with a couple emergency drains.

I would still go with Bean's design but the huge turnover seems unnecessary because my tank is only 150g.
Oh -- okay now I understand what you're doing. I already ran a 1-1/2" drain to my basement equipment room so that pretty much rules out a BA system. I'm going with two Dursos and two emergencies but will see what you end up with before I commit.

August 20th 1940
Click on my name for drop down list and select "Visit EnglishRebels Home Page" for my build thread.

Current Tank Info: 60x30x24 200G AO custom glass tank, basement equipment room, 30G and 55G Fuges, LifeReef sump & 30" skimmer.
Unread 03/12/2009, 04:04 PM   #959
GlassReef
Got Reef

The fact that you have already drilled for 1-1/2" pipes doesn't preclude using Bean's design. The turnover through your overflow is going to be based on how much water you are pumping. If I was in your situation I would probably just add 1" > 1-1/2" adapters above the floor of your overflow box. You said you already drilled for three 1-1/2" drains. That makes:

1. syphon drain - this should have a valve, be it ball or gate. I have a ball on mine, but if I had it to do over again I'd install a gate valve - much easier to fine tune. The valve allows you to tune the drain (within reason) to the size of your pipe and the flow of your pump.

2. open channel drain - this is there any surplus water is accepted that the syphon drain can't handle. Ideally, you would adjust the valve on the syphon drain so that a little water is diverted to the open channel drain.

3. backup/failsafe drain - as the name suggests, this is for situations where one of the other drains clogs, etc.

I guess my point is - even if you have already drilled for 1-1/2" pipes - you can still use the BA design. It's just a matter of adjustment.

Mike, Alan, (or anyone else, for that matter) jump in here if you see points where I have gone wrong.

Unread 03/12/2009, 04:12 PM   #960
mflamb
Registered Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. I have 2" bulkheads with 2" 90s and 1.5 inch drain pipe, so 1.5" down to 1" should be ok.

Click on my red house to see my 390 and 300 build thread. Those are my last 2 tanks in Tampa. Now in Pasadena waiting to buy a house to set up my next tank....anemones and clowns...probably a 3x3 150 gallon.
Unread 03/12/2009, 06:09 PM   #961
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

Tom
You got it right. and gate valves are much better than ball valves for controlling flow.

August 20th 1940

Unread 03/12/2009, 06:29 PM   #962
nivenethan
Registered Member

What are you doing for humidity & temperature control? I'm setting up a 600 gallon system in a room sealed off from the rest of house in basement. Really struggling with this.

Any advice would be awesome?

Current Tank Info: 300 gal *******, 8 AI Sol White, 100 g lps tank tied to main system w/ 2 Radions,BK SM300, Apex, Geo 624 Ca, Avast kalk stirrer, BRS jumbo GFO, BRS Jumbo Carbon, lots of ColeParmer peristaltic pumps, 2MP60ES, 2MP40ES, 250 gal MRC custom sump
Unread 03/12/2009, 08:10 PM   #963
dzhuo
Registered Member

sounds good so basically do a 1" adapter to the 1-1/2" to the primary syphon drain? and leave the rest as 1-1/2"?

if i put a 1" adapter to the 1-1/2" how much flow reduction are we talking about here? you mention a full 1-1/2" syphon will give me more than 2000gph, how much would a 1" syphon be then?

Thx for taking the time to help me out!

Unread 03/12/2009, 10:11 PM   #964
GlassReef
Got Reef

You should have no problem draining 1500gph with 1" syphon.

Unread 03/13/2009, 09:50 AM   #965
bbehring
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nivenethan
What are you doing for humidity & temperature control? I'm setting up a 600 gallon system in a room sealed off from the rest of house in basement. Really struggling with this.

Nivenethan, take a look at this thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=917188

Cato built in his basement and had to address humidity and temp control. Plus it's a great thread!

Unread 03/13/2009, 03:32 PM   #966
GlassReef
Got Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by nivenethan

Sorry for being so late in answering. I installed a FanTech inline fan attached to a humidistat. Air from the fishroom is evacuted to the outside. The model, specs, etc. are all a few pages back in the thread. Seems to handle my system easily. In addition, I agree with bbehring, take a look at the thread he referenced. Well worth it.

Last edited by GlassReef; 03/13/2009 at 03:46 PM.
Unread 03/13/2009, 03:38 PM   #967
nivenethan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GlassReef
Sorry for being so late in answering. I installed a FanTech inline fan attached to a humidistat. Air from the fishroom is evacuted to the outside. The model, specs, etc. are all a few pages back in the thread. Seems to handle my system easily. In addition, agree with bbehring, take a look at the thread he referenced. Well worth it.
Excellent...thanks guys!

Current Tank Info: 300 gal *******, 8 AI Sol White, 100 g lps tank tied to main system w/ 2 Radions,BK SM300, Apex, Geo 624 Ca, Avast kalk stirrer, BRS jumbo GFO, BRS Jumbo Carbon, lots of ColeParmer peristaltic pumps, 2MP60ES, 2MP40ES, 250 gal MRC custom sump
Unread 03/13/2009, 05:00 PM   #968
bbehring
Registered Member

Tom, wasn't trying to hi jack your thread! I think it's the best one on here! Cato's runs a close second though!

Unread 03/13/2009, 06:09 PM   #969
GlassReef
Got Reef

Always glad to see that you have posted on my thread! You always add something of value. Thanks!

Unread 03/15/2009, 12:22 PM   #970
GlassReef
Got Reef

Gonna start gluing up the refugium today. I figured I can't put it off any longer. I'll take a lot of pics during the process. I know it's been done, many times, before - but I thought I'd do a little "how to" series on gluing up an acrylic tank. Might help someone out there with the itch to put together a sump, fuge, or frag tank.

Also, there is some life in the display now. I'll be taking some pics later on, today. Probably post them tomorrow.

Unread 03/15/2009, 05:11 PM   #971
uncleof6
Registered Member

I smell a thread split comming real soon......I refer others to your build thread.

Jim

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
Unread 03/15/2009, 06:59 PM   #972
GlassReef
Got Reef

Thanks, Jim. I can use every referral I can get!

Unread 03/15/2009, 07:31 PM   #973
Jhardain
Registered Member

Too bad I don't live down there any more, I could just drop by and see your tank. I used to live in Springhill. About 12 yrs ago, I lived in FL for around 14-15 yrs. When I first got into fish I could buy Neon's 4 for $1.00 LOL now they are $2+ a piece. I guess that shows my age..... but still one of the best hobbies around!!

Current Tank Info: 220G Reef System 125G Display, 55G Frag Tank, Several Smaller Separate tanks and Phyto station in garage.
Unread 03/16/2009, 10:14 AM   #974
GlassReef
Got Reef

Yeah, I know what you mean. I had most of my saltwater tanks while I lived in Europe. I can remember when I could get really beautiful large Acropora colonies for the equivalent of $25. Of course, those days are long gone.

Unread 03/16/2009, 10:33 AM   #975
GlassReef
Got Reef

Well, I managed to get a little DIY done over the weekend. I've been trying to decide, for weeks, where to place my AC-III probes. I didn't want them in the sump because I hate bending down all the time to get at them. I thought I might put them in the Fuge, but then thought better of it since the Fuge will be quite a distance from the display. Finally the the light went on - why not put them in the overflow box? I thought that would work out pretty well because I could put the controller itself, on the back of the display tank - directly below the box.

So I put together a little probe holder out of spare 3/8" black acrylic. It holds 3 probes: temp, pH, and ORP.

I placed it in the left end of the overflow box:

This pic shows it from outside the box, but not very well, due to all the reflections:

I used Velcro to attach the AC-III and the LinkSys controller (connects the AC-III to my wireless network) to the back of the display tank, just under the OF box:

Works out real well there because the OF box protects the controller from being bumped, etc.

Please excuse all the extra wires laying around - I haven't yet sorted them out.

BTW: should anyone have a good reason not to leave the probes on the overflow, please let me know - but break it to me gently.

Closed Thread