Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/31/2009, 12:34 PM   #426
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
TJ---do you think this will work as an overflow for my 40 gal.?
I have an hob filter--I was going to drill a hole in the bottom -add a bulkhead and 4 inch line and let that drain the water into the sump. The pump is still functional in it so it should suck in a constant supply of water from the display tank.
I have a mag in the sump to return the water and could control the flow by use of a ball valve?
I'm trying to cut corners here and can't drill that tank--will this work?
thanks
Scott
I honestly couldn't tell ya, but I would imagine the flow rate would be very very low, and trying to match that with a Mag pump would be rather difficult.

If it were me, and drilling was not an option, I would look into some type of U-tube hang-on overflow box... or maybe try to construct a weir like Marc had on his small tank.

A lot of guys usually have Hang-On overflows collecting dust in their basements. I would ask around some clubs, or stores to see if anyone has a used one you could pick up, or potentially trade some frags for.

Unread 03/31/2009, 12:39 PM   #427
HumanIMDB
Premium Member

We really like the HOB Overflow that we got from Lifereef.

I tried everything I could think of to make it fail and we never lost the syphon.

Will do computer support for frags. :)

Click on the Red House to see our AGA92 Corner Reef Tank Build thread.

Current Tank Info: 10 Gal (Aqualight 96W Quad 50/50, AquaClear Power Filter 70 with Chaeto lit by 6500K Bulb, AquaClear Power Head 20, 50w Tronic Heater), 92 Gal All-Glass Corner (Cycling)
Unread 03/31/2009, 12:45 PM   #428
Kreeger1
KING LEAR

wow, what bulb was giving you the low par? Good thing you borrowed a meter!

Current Tank Info: Dsa 135
Unread 03/31/2009, 01:34 PM   #429
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HumanIMDB
We really like the HOB Overflow that we got from Lifereef.

I tried everything I could think of to make it fail and we never lost the syphon.
can you give me the link to it Chris?

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 03/31/2009, 01:48 PM   #430
HumanIMDB
Premium Member

http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html - we went with the Single Prefilter Box. Jeff is great to work with too. Great customer service is always a nice bonus.

Current Tank Info: 10 Gal (Aqualight 96W Quad 50/50, AquaClear Power Filter 70 with Chaeto lit by 6500K Bulb, AquaClear Power Head 20, 50w Tronic Heater), 92 Gal All-Glass Corner (Cycling)
Unread 03/31/2009, 02:11 PM   #431
kudora
thread reader

i think a member here in my area has one for sale capn give me a pm for info

"Paul b"

Current Tank Info: 84 gallon(60x18x18) tank, 40 breeder frag, 30 gallon lps
Unread 03/31/2009, 02:15 PM   #432
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeger1
wow, what bulb was giving you the low par? Good thing you borrowed a meter!
It was a used bulb... so my fault for not checking it in the first place. The odd thing, which another local guy and I were talking about, is that the spectrum looked fine.

No kidding... I'm just kicking myself for not picking it up 2 weeks ago when I originally had asked about it.

Hopefully my reef will start to turn the corner now, and I can start getting colors out of my corals that I was used to. Although, I think all the Digi's will be a lost cause. In my experience with them, once their color goes, it never comes back.

Unread 03/31/2009, 04:43 PM   #433
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HumanIMDB
http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html - we went with the Single Prefilter Box. Jeff is great to work with too. Great customer service is always a nice bonus.
thanks Chris---but I really can't spend that kind of money right now on an overflow box

Kudora--I just pm'ed you--thanks

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 03/31/2009, 04:46 PM   #434
OwNeD162
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty
It was a used bulb... so my fault for not checking it in the first place. The odd thing, which another local guy and I were talking about, is that the spectrum looked fine.

No kidding... I'm just kicking myself for not picking it up 2 weeks ago when I originally had asked about it.

Hopefully my reef will start to turn the corner now, and I can start getting colors out of my corals that I was used to. Although, I think all the Digi's will be a lost cause. In my experience with them, once their color goes, it never comes back.
I'm glad you sorted the problem out TJ, but that sucks that it happened... That's weird that the spectrum could stay looking normal but the PAR drop so low... Makes me wonder how we really know if the new bulbs we purchase are like that? Especially for those who can't get a hold of a PAR meter to test...

Current Tank Info: 2 x 1 x 1ft + EcoSystem Pro 40 HOB + 1 x 150W DE MH, 2 x 24W Actinic, Hailea HC- 150A 1/10 HP Chiller, Vortech MP20
Unread 03/31/2009, 09:19 PM   #435
Tswifty
Registered Member

Yeah I'm pretty ticked off at myself over the whole situation. Luckily I got it figured out though. I have a surprise coming tomorrow, which has an origin all the way back in my 90g build.

Unread 03/31/2009, 09:23 PM   #436
Tswifty
Registered Member

Also, my macro algae problems seem to already be starting.

Laura picked up rock tonight for her tank, and I stuck the larger pieces in my sump. In order to do so, I needed to move the macro... which literally crumbled apart in my hands and was promptly shot through all my plumbing and display. So I ended up having to throw out 3/4 of it.

I can't wait to see the mess it made in the display when the lights come on tomorrow.

Unread 03/31/2009, 10:05 PM   #437
OwNeD162
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah I'm pretty ticked off at myself over the whole situation. Luckily I got it figured out though. I have a surprise coming tomorrow, which has an origin all the way back in my 90g build.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I'm EXCITED !!!!
What is it ?

Quote:
Also, my macro algae problems seem to already be starting.

Laura picked up rock tonight for her tank, and I stuck the larger pieces in my sump. In order to do so, I needed to move the macro... which literally crumbled apart in my hands and was promptly shot through all my plumbing and display. So I ended up having to throw out 3/4 of it.

I can't wait to see the mess it made in the display when the lights come on tomorrow.
Snap
I hope it hasn't made to much of a mess... What do you reckon cause it to do that?

Current Tank Info: 2 x 1 x 1ft + EcoSystem Pro 40 HOB + 1 x 150W DE MH, 2 x 24W Actinic, Hailea HC- 150A 1/10 HP Chiller, Vortech MP20
Unread 03/31/2009, 10:24 PM   #438
Tswifty
Registered Member

Haha... well it wouldn't be a surprise if I told now would it? Honestly though it's going to shock everyone. The whole situation is still shocking to me, and I even know what happened!

I bet only a few guys will remember, as this goes WAY back... near the very beginning of my 90g build thread.

Also, Reef Hot Spot has been working with me over the past few weeks. There are a few specific items I am looking for, and they've been scavenging their suppliers for them. So far no luck yet, but hopefully they will come through. Regardless, I'll have some new fish arriving probably sometime early next week (since I'll be at the Cleveland Frag Swap this weekend). One of which will require some QT time.

btw... I've said it a bunch of times, but a serious to them! They are a great company to deal with, and have bent over backwards trying to help me out. Top notch guys.

Unread 04/01/2009, 05:10 AM   #439
OwNeD162
Registered Member

Haha,
KK, i'll wait like everyone else

Good to hear Reef Hot Spot doesn't mess their customers about
If I lived in the states I would definitely order from them

Also, was bored tonight at home, so I decided to setup my lights so I could take a photo to show the clubhouse
It's very close to me needing to start a thread, lol...
But here it is (P.S. I've got the glass lids in the bottom of the tank, hence the weird look in the bottom)

What do you think?

Unread 04/01/2009, 05:17 AM   #440
Goodwin9
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OwNeD162
Also, was bored tonight at home, so I decided to setup my lights so I could take a photo to show the clubhouse
It's very close to me needing to start a thread, lol...
So what are you wating for? You shouldn't wait till it's all done

-----------------------------------------------

Current Tank Info: 470 Gallon tank
Unread 04/01/2009, 06:58 AM   #441
2frosty4u
Registered Member

After gettin caught up on unread posts this morning I was starting to get confused by all the Garden gnomes and christmas tree stand comments in this thread and I thought I missed a Clubhouse meeting on terminology until I saw that RC is now Wreath central. Happy April fools day all.

Unread 04/01/2009, 07:18 AM   #442
Tswifty
Registered Member

Delivery:

Unread 04/01/2009, 07:32 AM   #443
crvz
Team RC Member

A tease! What's in the box?

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
Unread 04/01/2009, 07:42 AM   #444
LAK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 2frosty4u
After gettin caught up on unread posts this morning I was starting to get confused by all the Garden gnomes and christmas tree stand comments in this thread and I thought I missed a Clubhouse meeting on terminology until I saw that RC is now Wreath central. Happy April fools day all.
I just spent about 10 minutes wondering what the heck is wrong with everyone on here today. Then I saw the RC logo. Blonde moment.

Unread 04/01/2009, 08:06 AM   #445
Tswifty
Registered Member

Well you would have to remember back to my clean up crew order on my 90g tank. I ordered a bunch of Nassarius Snails from Blue Zoo Aquatics, but was shipped a different type of "non reef safe" predatory snail. They promptly took out a Crocea clam overnight. I contacted the company, we had a disagreement, and I was extremely unsatisfied with the experience. To the point where I decided I would never order from them again.

Anyway, that was about a year ago...

A few weeks ago, I was contacted by Blue Zoo about the situation. Apparently they have gone through some ownership changes, and upgrades to their facilities. They wanted to hear about my experience again, and after explaining what had happened, they offered to ship me a replacement clam.

That's what was in the box... However, the bag burst in transit... so I don't think it's going to make it. Regardless it was a very nice gesture on their part, and caught me completely off guard.

Unread 04/01/2009, 08:09 AM   #446
DiscoReefRover
Registered Member

That sux

New ohio DUI law..1st. OFF get 2 Browns TICs 2nd OFF you have to use them !!!

Current Tank Info: Divorced ....looking for my next hole to fill!!
Unread 04/01/2009, 08:13 AM   #447
OwNeD162
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Goodwin9
So what are you wating for? You shouldn't wait till it's all done
Haha, yer, just waiting till I can afford put water in it before I start the thread
Maybe I'll start one up this weekend !
I'll be sure to let the clubhouse know though !

Quote:
Well you would have to remember back to my clean up crew order on my 90g tank....
Wow, that was really nice of them! It's good to see that new ownership doesn't always mean completely new customers... Sucks that the clam probably won't make it, but at least they finally took a step in the right direction in terms of getting you back as a customer, even if it doesn't work

Unread 04/01/2009, 08:13 AM   #448
kudora
thread reader

Quote:
Well you would have to remember back to my clean up crew order on my 90g tank. I ordered a bunch of Nassarius Snails from Blue Zoo Aquatics, but was shipped a different type of "non reef safe" predatory snail. They promptly took out a Crocea clam overnight. I contacted the company, we had a disagreement, and I was extremely unsatisfied with the experience. To the point where I decided I would never order from them again.

Anyway, that was about a year ago...

A few weeks ago, I was contacted by Blue Zoo about the situation. Apparently they have gone through some ownership changes, and upgrades to their facilities. They wanted to hear about my experience again, and after explaining what had happened, they offered to ship me a replacement clam.

That's what was in the box... However, the bag burst in transit... so I don't think it's going to make it. Regardless it was a very nice gesture on their part, and caught me completely off guard.
ugh a sweet and sour situation for sure

"Paul b"

Current Tank Info: 84 gallon(60x18x18) tank, 40 breeder frag, 30 gallon lps
Unread 04/01/2009, 08:14 AM   #449
HumanIMDB
Premium Member

Hrm...that's too bad. Perhaps they will send you another one. But yes, very nice gesture.

In these tough economic times it's nice to see that companies will go the extra mile to keep their customers happy.

Unread 04/01/2009, 08:33 AM   #450
Amoore311
Registered Member

Blue Zoo Aquatics just signed Kris Wray on to there facility as well. You might remember him from ReeferMadness, before they were sold and turned to crap.

I'm pretty sure they acquired ReeferMadness' old warehouse coral facility, and all of the coral stock as well.

I'm going to be doing a lot of ordering through them for my new 180. Kris is the nicest guy I've ever dealt with in this industry, and was the first vendor I ordered from as a newbie who was willing to talk to me and help me out. Not just sell me a bunch of stuff I didn't need or couldn't keep alive.

Kris is also very close to Walt Smith, which gives him dibs on some of the best stuff coming out of Walt's holding facilities.

100 Gallon Custom Rimless Mixed Reef 2012-2014
29 Gallon Biocube Reef! Current

Current Tank Info: 29 Gallon Biocube, StevesLED Upgrade, Neptune Apex
Closed Thread