Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/20/2009, 06:56 AM   #226
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dejavu
Not quite yet a baller. If i can get growth and color like you I might have a chance.
Brian I'm sure you have a whole lot of goodies from your old tank. You sure are going with top notch equipment. As far as my corals, selective picture posting...I don't post any of the slow growing browned out corals!

DanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2009, 07:26 PM   #227
mylittlejade
Registered Member

Need some more pictures Dan.

mylittlejade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2009, 10:57 PM   #228
Reefer08
Moved On

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice

Quote:
Originally posted by DanW
Ramzy, I admittedly am lazy. Shoot, I got tired just reading the Zeo schedule! So I went with something less demanding (on the advice of Ali from Amazing Aquariums) and went Prodibio. I dose Bio Digest and Reef Booster one capsule once a week. I used to also dose Bio Digest but was told that I could substitute Vodka as a cheaper alternative. For Vodka, I try remember to dose 2 ml twice a week (I usually only get one in). I am only dosing iron a few ml per week in the fuge as I read that it is good for the cheato (I believe Randy Holmes-Farley posted it). I really haven't noticed any difference in the greens though. How do you like the Zeo? How often do you have to dose? Like I said just reading what had to be done (at least for the full method) was just too much for me but I certainly admire those that can stick with it!
Hey Dan, Zeovit isn't too much dosing. The bacteria needs to be dosed 2 or 3 times per week. But the carbon source needs to be dosed twice per day, morning and night along with pumping of the zeovit reactor twice per day. Also I use zeovit salt which has a alkalinity of 7-7.5dkh with high potassium and magnesium.

So far I like the results that im getting from it. Yeah Ali recommended me to do prodibio also but after seeing a bunch of friends tanks in so-cal that run zeovit I decided to go with zeo, but now everyone stopped using zeovit lol

Reefer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2009, 08:58 AM   #229
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefer08
Hey Dan, Zeovit isn't too much dosing. The bacteria needs to be dosed 2 or 3 times per week. But the carbon source needs to be dosed twice per day, morning and night along with pumping of the zeovit reactor twice per day. Also I use zeovit salt which has a alkalinity of 7-7.5dkh with high potassium and magnesium.

So far I like the results that im getting from it. Yeah Ali recommended me to do prodibio also but after seeing a bunch of friends tanks in so-cal that run zeovit I decided to go with zeo, but now everyone stopped using zeovit lol
Whew too much work for me. I admire that you can keep up with the Zeo regiment. Curious, do you know why the other reefers are stopping? I’ve also heard good things about MB7 but I have not seen anyone’s tank that is doing it.

Unread 07/21/2009, 09:02 AM   #230
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice

Quote:
Whew too much work for me. I admire that you can keep up with the Zeo regiment. Curious, do you know why the other reefers are stopping? I’ve also heard good things about MB7 but I have not seen anyone’s tank that is doing it.
Too much work for me as well. Its not just the adding of supplements, I'm lazy and only test maybe once a month

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2009, 09:43 AM   #231
Dave's Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Sunny is using MB7 with great results...

I personally am using Zeovit for the first time with my new tank and I LOVE it! The results are just astounding and make it worth all the time and effort, which isn't too bad by the way for me.

I need to post some new pics in my thread, all of my brown outs are looking incredible and give evidence, I think, of Zeo's potential!

Current Tank Info: 150G Starphire Zeovit Reef 48x30x24
Dave's Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2009, 02:46 PM   #232
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by mpoletti
Too much work for me as well. Its not just the adding of supplements, I'm lazy and only test maybe once a month
I'm with you Mark. The Zeo method appears to have so many things that have to be done on a daily, twice daily basis that I know that I would get lazy, just forget or be busy doing something else.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave's Reef
Sunny is using MB7 with great results...

I personally am using Zeovit for the first time with my new tank and I LOVE it! The results are just astounding and make it worth all the time and effort, which isn't too bad by the way for me.

I need to post some new pics in my thread, all of my brown outs are looking incredible and give evidence, I think, of Zeo's potential!
There is no arguing that from the pictures that I've seen that the results can be stunning. I admire you Dave for being able to stick with the system. Post up some before and after picts on your thread. I'd love to see them.

Unread 07/21/2009, 02:48 PM   #233
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by mylittlejade
Need some more pictures Dan.
Here you go Bryan:

Unread 07/21/2009, 03:10 PM   #234
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

That picture makes me thirsty

c.) Why chase numbers?
Unread 07/21/2009, 05:08 PM   #235
mylittlejade
Registered Member

Quote:
Me too! lets head over to Dans house for lemonade mpoletti, looks like he has enough to go around

mylittlejade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2009, 08:20 PM   #236
Reefer08
Moved On

Quote:
Many stopped due to the tedious amounts of dosing and also the algae that appears if overdosed. Many have jumped onto the bandwagon of brightwells microbacteria7.

But what I like about Zeovit is that I can adjust my dosage by increasing or decreasing the amount of drops of bacteria or carbon source that I add to my tank easily. Im not sure how Prodibo works but I believe I would be wasting vials since they need to be used immediately after opening each vial?

Unread 07/21/2009, 08:26 PM   #237
Reefer08
Moved On

Quote:
Here you go Bryan:

Wow very nice! Im getting thirsty also hahaha.

Dan do you have the Atlantis Raspberry Lemonade Nasuta? Please post a pic if you do.

Unread 07/21/2009, 10:40 PM   #238
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mylittlejade
Me too! lets head over to Dans house for lemonade mpoletti, looks like he has enough to go around
Quote:
Wow very nice! Im getting thirsty also hahaha.
Come on down fellas, a round of Pink Lemonade on me. Nothing better on a hot day!

Unread 07/21/2009, 10:47 PM   #239
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Many stopped due to the tedious amounts of dosing and also the algae that appears if overdosed. Many have jumped onto the bandwagon of brightwells microbacteria7.

But what I like about Zeovit is that I can adjust my dosage by increasing or decreasing the amount of drops of bacteria or carbon source that I add to my tank easily. Im not sure how Prodibo works but I believe I would be wasting vials since they need to be used immediately after opening each vial?
Ramzy, I can certainly see how the regiment can wear a person down, but from the pictures I’ve seen, the method can be rewarding. I’ve always used full vials of Prodibio at time but I’ve heard of people using a partial vial and covering it with something, I just don’t remember what it was. Anyway, let your corals be your guide.

Unread 07/21/2009, 10:50 PM   #240
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Dan do you have the Atlantis Raspberry Lemonade Nasuta? Please post a pic if you do.
Yes, I do but it is not picture worthy. I got it a little over a month ago and it's still a 1" brown stick. Starting to color but not enough to be able to see what it will evenutally look like.

Unread 07/21/2009, 11:36 PM   #241
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Ramzy, I can certainly see how the regiment can wear a person down, but from the pictures I’ve seen, the method can be rewarding. I’ve always used full vials of Prodibio at time but I’ve heard of people using a partial vial and covering it with something, I just don’t remember what it was. Anyway, let your corals be your guide.
I think they were covering it with wine corks. I'm with you on the Zeo's too much work.

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2009, 02:52 PM   #242
aquariumclown
Moved On

Quote:
Actually, I have a pretty good picture in my Photobucket. Forget the chalice and take a look at the frag rock that it is mounted on, is this what you have?

Anyone have any ideas how to eliminate it?

Dan, I think I have the same stuff. It's really hard to get rid of it, but I'm making progress on mine. I had it before I started dosing vodka, it helped but was VERY slow. Then I got 2 long spine urchins and they are chewing through the stuff. They chew an area each night, I usually see a white bare trail/spot where they have been. Then as long as my phos and trates are down, and other parameters are good, coraline is growing over the bare areas, this keeps the red stuff from growing back. The urchins have made a huge difference in the last 2 months, I'm hoping it will be completely gone in 3 more months. I hated that red stuff, makes the tank look dirty and dull.

aquariumclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2009, 04:40 PM   #243
rapture
Moved On

Lookkin good

rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2009, 08:54 PM   #244
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by aquariumclown
Dan, I think I have the same stuff. It's really hard to get rid of it, but I'm making progress on mine. I had it before I started dosing vodka, it helped but was VERY slow. Then I got 2 long spine urchins and they are chewing through the stuff. They chew an area each night, I usually see a white bare trail/spot where they have been. Then as long as my phos and trates are down, and other parameters are good, coraline is growing over the bare areas, this keeps the red stuff from growing back. The urchins have made a huge difference in the last 2 months, I'm hoping it will be completely gone in 3 more months. I hated that red stuff, makes the tank look dirty and dull.
I agree, it makes the tank look dark. This picture was when it was at it's worse. I think that it is slowly starting to clear but very slowly. I have thought about adding an urchin or two but have been hesitant because I heard that they can knock a lot of stuff over. How have your long spines been doing? Finding a lot of stuff knocked over?

Unread 07/23/2009, 08:55 PM   #245
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by rapture
Lookkin good
Thanks Rapture.

Unread 07/23/2009, 09:10 PM   #246
aquariumclown
Moved On

Quote:
I agree, it makes the tank look dark. This picture was when it was at it's worse. I think that it is slowly starting to clear but very slowly. I have thought about adding an urchin or two but have been hesitant because I heard that they can knock a lot of stuff over. How have your long spines been doing? Finding a lot of stuff knocked over?
They don't cause any problems at all in my tank. First of all, the 2 long spines I got are pretty small, I'd say 1 1/2" at the center. The spines are stretch about 3"+. The long spines dont knock anything over, they move around stuff and they eat around the frags I have, never seen them knock anything over. With that being said, I have like 4 super large turbo snails that do knock things over. Their size range from 2" to a monster 3 1/2" snail. I love them cause they take such good care of the algae in the tank, and they only come out at night. I don't know what kind of tubo snails these are, but they are not the typical dark swirly ones. Mine are white and light green, and I don't think they're very common.

aquariumclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2009, 10:08 AM   #247
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by aquariumclown
They don't cause any problems at all in my tank. First of all, the 2 long spines I got are pretty small, I'd say 1 1/2" at the center. The spines are stretch about 3"+. The long spines dont knock anything over, they move around stuff and they eat around the frags I have, never seen them knock anything over. With that being said, I have like 4 super large turbo snails that do knock things over. Their size range from 2" to a monster 3 1/2" snail. I love them cause they take such good care of the algae in the tank, and they only come out at night. I don't know what kind of tubo snails these are, but they are not the typical dark swirly ones. Mine are white and light green, and I don't think they're very common.
Thanks Leo, I might try to find some small ones this weekend.

Unread 07/24/2009, 10:09 AM   #248
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Unread 07/24/2009, 10:35 AM   #249
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Dan DA Man!!! Now get a few females to make a sweet harem

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Current Tank Info: What's that???
pookstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2009, 10:42 AM   #250
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Quote:
Baller

c.) Why chase numbers?