Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2005, 10:12 PM   #1
Lunchbucket
Premium Member

please review my interceptor treatment plan!

ok i have seen the threads!! lots of LONG threads and i have gotten through some of them...but too much for me to get through. could you guys please advise my plan so that i can make sure i am doing this right??

plan of action:

add 2-3 salifert test kit spoons of ground interceptor to tank
go to bed for 6hrs or so
do a 25gal water change and add a TON of carbon
leave the tank for the day.

i don't plan on doing the 2nd or 3rd doses as i have heard they are not needed.

have heard that the salifert spoon treats about 32gals or so. i will have about 60-70gal to treat and i have heard to overdose by a little. this has been seen with NO ill effects by many i know.

i will try to get my two emerald crabs out...but my cleaner i will not be able to catch. i have heard that SOMETIMES the cleaners or such should make it. the emeralds are toast i believe

i have 2 clams but they won't be harmed correct.

any advice words of wisdom??
thanks
Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-

Current Tank Info: 58gal Oceanic RR, 2x400w MH (20k XM and 10k XM), Deltec PF601 Ca Rx, Deltec AP701 skimmer, mag950 return, iwaki 55rlt w/ an Oceansmotions 4-way unit, Tunze 7300 and 6000 each w/ controller, fluidized po4 rx
Lunchbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2005, 10:18 PM   #2
SeanT
Premium Member

Re: please review my interceptor treatment plan!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket

add 2-3 salifert test kit spoons of ground interceptor to tank
go to bed for 6hrs or so
do a 25gal water change and add a TON of carbon
leave the tank for the day.
Looks good.
Quote:

i don't plan on doing the 2nd or 3rd doses as i have heard they are not needed.
BAD move.
Do them. If you don't kill all the bugs then they will just multiply and you will be back at square one.

Quote:

any advice words of wisdom??
thanks
Lunchbucket
Don't know how 'wise' they are but...
Be sure to remove all your carbon while treating.
Turn your skimmers air input off and just let the water run through it (need to treat it too).

After you run carbon for a day or so, throw old carbon out and put new in.

Repeat 2 more times.

hth,
Sean

Current Tank Info: Barebottom (the tank not me...at least not at the moment).
SeanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2005, 10:29 PM   #3
Lunchbucket
Premium Member

Sean - ok ok i will do repeat treatments. 2nd AND 3rd doses?? or ONLY 2nd dose??

yeah i meant to put "run skimmer w/ no air just water running through it" i will just stick my hose for air in my sump and let it run.

after 2 days i will change out carbon.

so what 2nd dose 7days later???

so how bad will my pods get wiped out?? i don't have any fish in there as they have been in teh QT tank for ICH hypo treatment for 6wks now. should i add them soon or give the pods more of a chance to populate? there are a LOT of pods running around. do mysis shrimp get nuked too???

thanks
Lunchbucket

- maxxII-

Current Tank Info: 58gal Oceanic RR, 2x400w MH (20k XM and 10k XM), Deltec PF601 Ca Rx, Deltec AP701 skimmer, mag950 return, iwaki 55rlt w/ an Oceansmotions 4-way unit, Tunze 7300 and 6000 each w/ controller, fluidized po4 rx
Unread 03/30/2005, 11:30 PM   #4
SeanT
Premium Member

Do 2nd and 3rd doses.
If I recall correctly you do the 2nd dose 7 days later and the 3rd 14 days after the 2nd.
Your pods are pretty much toast.
A few will survive and will replenish the supply.
Same for Mysid shrimp.

Current Tank Info: Barebottom (the tank not me...at least not at the moment).
SeanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2005, 06:50 AM   #5
MiddletonMark
Registered Member

I too agree with multiple doses. Do you want to have to do this again? How much can you pull out every colony + inspect? Just my take, but if you're bothering to do it once - while a second/third treatment might be unnecessary, I dislike `might'.

I would remove the shrimp [yeah, PITA] - as while mine `lived through it' it died within a month ... not exactly linked, except in my head Esp. as you already have a QT going ...

Sean has a good point on the skimmer too.

I would also suggest maybe a second 25% w/c 2 days after. I did a huge amount of water changes around my treatments - and think the tank responded pretty positively to it. Figured I'd try to get the lingering Interceptor/et.al. out of the tank best I could. After my final treatment I did a ton of w/c after - no idea if it `helped' but I blew through a salt bucket on my 58 that month I think. Just seemed wise to keep the large w/c thing going for a while after the last treatment.

Anyway - just my take on it. Sounds like you have a good handle on it already.

Current Tank Info: 58g stony reef [250w10k, 250w 20k MH, 2x vho act, Octopus150, 6060 + 6000] ; 60g mixed tub
MiddletonMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2005, 07:57 AM   #6
Haggisman14
Registered Member

I did the treatment once on a 50 gallon that had a pretty bad infestation about 3 months ago, and all is still well. I only treated once, upped the dosage a little bit, and let the treatment go for about 6 hours and 45 mins. Killed off all the red bugs, and hardly any pods. My blood shrimp lived threw it, but the one hermit i couldn't get out of the tank kicked the bucket. All the corals have been doing great, and color returned to the ones that were suffering badly.

I'm not an sps expert like Mark and SeanT, but just offering up my experiences...

Marc

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Biocube 29 Gallon, Kessil A160WE LED Light, inTank Media Basket w/Chemipure/Purigen combo
Haggisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2005, 08:02 AM   #7
MiddletonMark
Registered Member

Marc - don't mistake talking a lot for knowing a lot

I've got so much to learn yet too ...

Current Tank Info: 58g stony reef [250w10k, 250w 20k MH, 2x vho act, Octopus150, 6060 + 6000] ; 60g mixed tub
Unread 03/31/2005, 09:56 AM   #8
marinelife
Registered Member

Some info here http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...9&page=1&pp=15

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2005, 10:23 AM   #9
Unarce
Unshackled

The 2nd and 3rd treatment was a precautionary measure because Dustin didn't know if red bugs had a larval stage. During Borneman's study of red bugs, he determined that there wasn't and that the multiple treatments weren't necessary.

Personally, I've only treated once (practically zero impact on pods), and no red bugs after 2 months. There's nothing wrong with multiple treatments since the interceptor has no affect on corals. The only drawback is you'll risk killing all your pods.

Current Tank Info: starting to get that itch again
Unarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2005, 10:36 AM   #10
MiddletonMark
Registered Member

But after the first treatment IMO the pods are probably toast anyway ... if they're already dead, how will a second treatment change things?

Just my take - and I know about Eric's `no larval' post - but it seems like he even suggests they are very tough to spot, may live through a single treatment.

[maybe it's my experience with flatworms - but it's easy to kill all but one pest ... and a month later have to do it again IME]

But hey - your tank, your decision

Unread 03/31/2005, 10:37 AM   #11
marinelife
Registered Member

I lost very few pods after one treatement so I do not think that one would kill all the pods

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2005, 05:24 PM   #12
MIKE NY
Two Decade club

Quote:
have heard that the salifert spoon treats about 32gals or so.
thats using the large dog pill with 23 mg of Milbenycin Oxime right, so if have the med dog pill which only has 11.5mg of Milbenycin Oxime I would use two per 32 gals... I'm just trying to fiqure out an easier way to calculate dosage without screwing up.

TIA,
Mike

Current Tank Info: 170 gal Reef, 20 gal frag/reef,90 gal fuge, 65 gal sump, 2-250 Radiums on Hamilton M80 HQIs, T5 actincs, Vertex in280 skimmer, MRC-2 Cal Reactor, Reeflo return pump
MIKE NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2005, 06:30 PM   #13
one eye
Premium Member

A little off topic but.. last night I put 3 Salifert spoons into a small cup of tank water to do a strong dip on an infected coral I was putting in my tank. After the dip I put the coral into my tank without rinsing it. A scarlet hermit went right to the coral immediatly after I put it in the tank and began cleaning the coral. The hermit died within minutes...probably about 10 minutes.

Daddy,.. Why's your brain in the fish tank?
one eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2005, 07:49 PM   #14
Lunchbucket
Premium Member

reefnutz - so borneman did a study w/ NO reoccurance w/ one dose...i've heard MANY have done one w/ no more back

mike NY - not sure if these are the large pills i am geting one from a buddy. he has a fairly large dog so i am assuming it is the big pill

one eye - crazy about the hermit crab

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-

Unread 03/31/2005, 08:16 PM   #15
Ewan
Premium Member

Good posts above, Lunch. Do the 3 treatments. Learn from my mistakes.

Also, your clams will be fine. This was my major concern.

-Rob

Ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2005, 08:34 PM   #16
Lunchbucket
Premium Member

Ewan - buddy!!! thanks for the comments. my clams were a BIG concern of mine!

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-

Unread 03/31/2005, 09:16 PM   #17
Unarce
Unshackled

Quote:
reefnutz - so borneman did a study w/ NO reoccurance w/ one dose...i've heard MANY have done one w/ no more back
I figured what the heck, I gotta wait a whole week to do the 2nd treatment anyway, so I just played it by ear. In my case, there are no more red bugs after two months, so the 2nd and 3rd treatments would have just destroyed the fauna.

Current Tank Info: starting to get that itch again
Unarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2005, 06:22 AM   #18
MiddletonMark
Registered Member

No clam issue here, nor with serpent stars.

Good luck with it, Lunch.

Unread 04/02/2005, 04:11 AM   #19
Leviathan
Registered Member

Lunch,

So you know you are NOT alone, I just got a tablet today and am planning on treating the system sunday night or possibly monday.

Even with all the support from thoses who have had great sucess with this treatment, its still a nail-biter for me also.

I wish you luck when you do it, and hope that the outcome is positive. I know that the look on the Vets face when I told him what it was for was a priceless moment at best.

I am glad to here that clams are not damaged, as I have 2 one of which is 5 years old.

Anyhow,

I have one question, and please excuse me if this is hijacking. I figured since you were in a similar situation to me ( about to dose ) it would be silly to start a new thread on it.

Lets say that all goes well with the treatment, I would like to avoid this from happening again. I cant get a straight answer as to any Dip treatments dip time/doseage/etc... for new additions? I realize a QT tank would be best here,,but at this point in time thats just not an option for me. It will be at some point after all this though!

Any ideas, or experiences?

Also,,
I have seen that the effects on crabs/shrimp are fatal, But have seen a few ( not many, but enough to concern me ) that suggest snail being affected by the treatment. Is this been a problem in anyones experiences or just rumor?

Current Tank Info: 25Gallon AGA-Mixed reef system, 25lbs LR Mix-Kalieni & Carib., Hydor 2 Pump, 175watt ARO Pro Series M57 ballast-20KXM, 1" SSB, CSS65 Skimmer
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2005, 08:26 AM   #20
geshields
Premium Member

Quote:

mike NY - not sure if these are the large pills i am geting one from a buddy. he has a fairly large dog so i am assuming it is the big pill

one eye - crazy about the hermit crab

Lunchbucket
Lunch,

The tablet I sent you is for large dogs...

Also, do the 3 treatments. In the beginning, some of us here just did the 1 dose and they DID come back after 2-3 months...

Better to be safe than sorry...

And to quote a famous shoe manufacturer: JUST DO IT!!!!

Greg

geshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2005, 01:04 PM   #21
Lunchbucket
Premium Member

MiddletonMark -thanks!!

Leviathan - thanks man! no problem on the question..i was wondering the same. saves room here on RC and it fits in w/ the thread so ask away we will make it through and have nice bug free corals SOON! Good luck w/ your dosing

geshields - thanks for some help here. i just got it yesterday (friday) and i noticed it was the 23g dose which i THOUGHT was the large pill now i know. thanks for the suggestions on teh 2nd and 3rd doses also.

guess i will start draining water for a LOT of water changes soon. doing 3-6changes on the tank in the next 3wks for the interceptor treatments and i have to get the QT tank back up to normals SG also. i better order a bucket of salt ASAP!!

thanks everyone. treatment will go in wed night!!!!
Lunchhbucket

- maxxII-

Unread 04/03/2005, 01:32 AM   #22
Leviathan
Registered Member

Well I decided not to wait and started the 1st treatment this evening at 11pm.

So far all is well and I am at the 2 1/2 hour mark. Only noticable difference so far is slowed pod movement. But everything I have read points to the 4-5 hour mark as the point where the bugs start to give in. There is a noticable increase ( minimal though ) in slime around the frags, but dosent seem to be more than if I did a water change etc...

Current Tank Info: 25Gallon AGA-Mixed reef system, 25lbs LR Mix-Kalieni & Carib., Hydor 2 Pump, 175watt ARO Pro Series M57 ballast-20KXM, 1" SSB, CSS65 Skimmer
Unread 04/03/2005, 06:46 AM   #23
MH MN
Registered Member

after the treatment and you bring the skimmer back online be ready to dump it frequently, because it will go nuts for a couple hours.

MH MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2005, 01:11 PM   #24
Leviathan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikehuinker
after the treatment and you bring the skimmer back online be ready to dump it frequently, because it will go nuts for a couple hours.
If this isnt the truth!!

I have seen the skimmer go crazy before but never like this. It has now calmed down ( several hour post treatment )

Unread 04/03/2005, 01:37 PM   #25
otolith
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by geshields
Also, do the 3 treatments. In the beginning, some of us here just did the 1 dose and they DID come back after 2-3 months...

Better to be safe than sorry...

And to quote a famous shoe manufacturer: JUST DO IT!!!!

Greg
I'm one of the "some of us" who only did one treatment at a larger than recommended dose. They came back. Did the 3 treatments, and haven't seen one since.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." --John Muir

Current Tank Info: 210g in the works :)
otolith is offline   Reply With Quote