Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/09/2006, 02:35 PM   #76
RocketSeason
Registered Member

Wow. Please keep us up to date with what is going to happen from here.

I hope you can get your tank back up and going again real soon.

Good luck! I'm pulling for you!

Current Tank Info: 37 Gallon Oceanic Cube, Various softies, 95 lbs of LR, 6 gallon cryptic fuge. Planning my 75 gallon upgrade.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2006, 02:47 PM   #77
techrach
Premium Member

OMG sorry to here

Current Tank Info: 75 gal
techrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2006, 03:37 PM   #78
lfduty
Premium Member

That sucks it hapend to me 5mon's a go and this is all that lived i was out of town 3 days tho.

and this is the tank to day.

So stay with is it like a bike falloff and get back up and go good luck.

Current Tank Info: I have 150g mixreef 1-90 fishonley with a Oceanic trickle filter(M150) with a ehime6000 pump 40g breder zoa tank with 30g sump/fuge with mag7 pump 1-75g pipefish tank with 30g sump/fuge and 1-80g SH 1-40hex softy all run on a 250gal sump/50gfuge
lfduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2006, 09:00 PM   #79
55semireef
Moved On

This thread has amazed me. Two very rare things occured.

Finding an octopus in your tank

Tank crashing

55semireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2006, 10:52 PM   #80
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
This thread has amazed me. Two very rare things occured.

Tank crashing
This is not rare at all.

OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2006, 05:36 PM   #81
55semireef
Moved On

Haha...lets see the statistics on how often it happens then. If this wasn't a rare event...then we would be seeing a lot more threads stating "my tank crashed, now what?"

Its not just rare but ironic on how it all happened. Thats what I really meant.

Unread 08/11/2006, 03:14 AM   #82
melev
Moved On

I'm sorry to hear what happened. It sounds like it wasn't something you could have predicted at all.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2006, 08:45 AM   #83
zombiedust
Registered Member

Mega sweet you lucky northerner !

Current Tank Info: Tons of questions then I buy
zombiedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2006, 05:13 PM   #84
55semireef
Moved On

For some reason I predidcted it in the beginning. Somehow I knew something was going to go wrong. It was too good to be true.

Unread 08/11/2006, 06:27 PM   #85
anothermineral
Registered Member

Manny,

Sorry for your loss. When you're ready to start up again let me know and I'll send you a frag. I've always felt this hobby needs some type of "social security" system to help out in times such as these.

Unread 08/12/2006, 08:09 AM   #86
joe findell
Registered Member

Just a thought... For someone to take what many would call a risk and keep the octo instead of ridding the potential menace is commendable in itself. To plan the family vacation and take what sounds like great care and thought to maintain the system and have the results that happened here is just devastating. If everyone that posted on this site would do as anothermineral suggested and be willing to send a frag or 2 to restart this system, we could truly support our hobby and help rebuild this piece of the ocean. It would take some cordination and following this thread to make it work along with the willingness to set the system back up.

What do you guys think.

If this works out count me in!

"PAY IT FORWARD"

Unread 08/12/2006, 08:12 AM   #87
joe findell
Registered Member

I should have said posted on this thread. I dont think there is a home system big enough to handle a frag from everyone on this site.

Unread 08/12/2006, 09:48 PM   #88
SumpDiver
Registered Member

A sad, but well written story. Lesson learned, anything mechanical and automated, given enough time will surely fail.

Current Tank Info: Empty in storage: 200 gal glass, 100 gal glass 50 gal glass: Start new tanks on 04-16-06 Cycling with Live rock & Live Black sand Purchasing CPR BAK PAK2 skimmers For small tanks, large tank setup permission from Mrs. Sump is pending.
SumpDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2006, 09:27 PM   #89
TJcop
Throws Money Into Water

Wow...I was about to write a compliment on becoming the thread of the month...but then I saw the "crash". Geesh...what a bummer!

Sorry about the loss. Hopefully you're not out of the hobby.

Geesh, has a "thread of the month" ever been so depressing?

Current Tank Info: Starting over...again.
TJcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2006, 03:09 AM   #90
merseyman
Registered Member

... haven't read the whole thread, so maybe this was covered, but unless your tank has a virtually airtight lid, your octopus may end up outside your tank one day, unfortunately. There was an octopus at monterey bay aquarium that was discovered slipping out of his tank nightly and slipping into other tanks full of fish for a "late night snack" before returning to it's own tank. They're very intelligent.

Current Tank Info: 120g, 4-sided starphire, "island" overflow. Being built!
merseyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2006, 10:21 AM   #91
rich_tilbury
Premium Member

The Octopus was brilliant and it is sobering to hear that the nightmare that haunts us all, that of a malfunction while on holiday, crashed what looked an amazing tank.

I hope that you manage to get the tank running quickly and that your hitchhiker luck continues.

A bittersweet thread, but well deserving of thread of the month.

rich_tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2006, 02:10 PM   #92
speckled trout
Registered Member

55semireef ,

I was gone for two weeks this summer. During that time period my wife took care of my tanks. She was gone for 2 1/2 days out of the whole two weeks. Guess what happened? The fan went out on our central cooling unit and the temperature in the house rose to over 100.

I was in out of state so my wife got to do her first (and last) water change. She changed out 75g out of my 105g. I lost 5 species of lps and sps, 2 toadstools, tons of ricordia, 2 gorgonians and a flame angel. A black percula, 1 oscellaris, one maroon clown, all my zoos, a galaxia, a cup coral, a small patch of star polyps out of a huge isolated colony and a few ricordias are all that remains. Only one small green monti surived while two large orange montis bleached out immediately.

The summer before, when I was gone for approximately the same amount of time, the power went of and my return pump from my sump didn't kick back on. Neither did some of the pumps that circulated my water in the display tank. End result, 2 dead tangs, 3 clowns, 3 damsals, 1 firefish, 1 foxface, 2 angels, 2 wrasse, 5 cleaner shrimp, one flame shrimp, 1 sargent major. Again, the tank was only left unchecked for 2 consecutive days out of the whole time period. That time my all my corals survived with the exception of a large orange monti. Luckily, I had fragged it and had a small colony in one of my school tanks. I fragged it again and started it all over.

Long story short, I've experienced 2 major crashes in approx. 30 years of keeping tanks and they both happened when I was gone. Bottom line, it does happen.

Buddy Pine, I really feel for you. I know what it's like and it sucks unbelieveably. You face a huge amount of work ahead of you. I almost gave up on the whole mess when it happened the second time to me. I really came close to giving up the hobby. I was utterly depressed for several days as I sat out of state knowing my tank was a disaster. Thank God my wife was beyond patient and did what she could to save what she was able to. She had never used a refractometer or "played" with skimmers before this. Imagine trying to explain how to do this over a cell phone that kept dropping your calls! Dang Cingular! Fewest dropped calls my buttocks!

That was amost two months ago. I finally talked myself into going back to one of my regular lfs and purchased some new corals to "replace" some of the ones that I wasn't able to salvage just yesterday. I'm now glad I stuck with it and saved what I could. It would have been extremelly easy to just take it down and call it quits. Adding a couple of new corals back to the tank raised my enthusiasm quite a bit. In a few weeks I'll be getting frags of some of my corals that I had fragged and given away over the last couple of years. It feels pretty good to know that "part" of them survived and will once again be back in my tanks.

Good Luck and stick with it and let us know how it turns out.-Mike

speckled trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2006, 02:19 PM   #93
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
For some reason I predidcted it in the beginning. Somehow I knew something was going to go wrong. It was too good to be true.
What a stange thing to say?
Buddy Pine,
Best of luck in get your tank restart.
BTW, donating local frags is great but send them overnight mail is just too costly and much of a hassel to make it worth while. When I was selling frag online, I have to take off an afternoon everytime I send a package. The money I got from the frag did not even cover the lost in income for the time off.

Unread 08/16/2006, 03:52 PM   #94
jay24k
Registered Member

55semireef,

That was pretty rude to say imo. It wasn't his fault because of the octopus. To me it seems like maybe you were a little envious and hoping something WOULD happen badly.

I'm in for sending frags. I'd like to see the tank back up and running. You only learn from your mistakes.

jay24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2006, 08:15 PM   #95
Buddy Pine
Registered Member

Much obliged everyone, for all your support which always leads me to positive direction. For the love my "Reef".... still feeling so numb...nodding... seven years of enjoyment with this tank almost everyday, now to come home and look at....

Buddy Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2006, 08:25 PM   #96
OrionN
Moved on

Cheer up. Think of it like this:
The smelly stuff is out of the house. It is much easier now. Wait for the rock to recycle (in the yard I hope). Water, salt, and you are back in business. The hard work is over. I know because I clean up a huge mess before too. My tank was bigger than yours with a thicker sand bed. I have to climb into that smelly mess to scoop it out.
The fishes lost were sad but all the other animals did not have enough awareness to feel anything.

Let the fun of restocking begin and the satisfaction in seeing these tiny corals grows and grows. You know much more about your tank now and you will put in just the right animals this time.
Good luck.

Unread 08/17/2006, 10:58 AM   #97
pi
Premium Member

Damn! That middle pic is tough to look at.

pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2006, 02:13 PM   #98
zuzecawi
Registered Member

Buddy, I've read this top to bottom... and I can't convey my sympathy well enough for you. Good luck with the rebuild... don't give up.
M'kee

zuzecawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2006, 06:42 PM   #99
Ciarán
Registered Member

Wow, horrible man! And to think i got away with 14 days and no sitter. Some things just dont seem fair. I would gladly send you many frags, unfortunately i live in Ireland so that's probably out of the question, but yeah, anything i can do...

All the best
Ciaran.

Saying in Ireland basically meaning - Once a hick always a hick!!

Current Tank Info: 20g anemone species tank with some zoos, LPS, SPS, Ocellaris and Flameback Angel - 275 gal empy due to study!
Ciarán is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2006, 12:14 PM   #100
Bas Arentz
Registered Member

very, very sad!!! will you start over?

Current Tank Info: 35 fish, 100+ corals
Bas Arentz is offline   Reply With Quote