Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/10/2007, 01:23 PM   #1
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...78#post9692378

Unread 04/10/2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Yinepu
Registered Member

Has anyone tried using stucco? If so... what were the results? I would think it wouldn't be as porous.. but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I'm also not sure if it would need to be handled like the portland cement mixes for kuring times or not...

Unread 04/10/2007, 01:25 PM   #3
Azazael13
Registered Member

This makes split 3 does it not??

Go go fake rocks!

On a side note, if anyone wants to see (or wants more info on) how I make the fake tunnels during my next batch I will document the process and get details of the weed eater string size.

Current Tank Info: 2 foot cube (Salt) and 35G Hex (Fresh)
Unread 04/10/2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Travis L. Stevens
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, 2nd Split and three threads

Yinepu: Not sure. This is 100% my opinion, but I wouldn't use stucco.

Azazael13: Sure! Enlighten us!

Current Tank Info: Restarting 28g Bowfront
Unread 04/10/2007, 01:44 PM   #5
andrewsmart
Registered Member

made my first batch today.

was quite fun i have some ideas i am going to try and then post for tunnels etc.

Current Tank Info: FOWLR
Unread 04/10/2007, 01:45 PM   #6
Yinepu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazael13

Go go fake rocks!

On a side note, if anyone wants to see (or wants more info on) how I make the fake tunnels during my next batch I will document the process and get details of the weed eater string size.
well.. at least I didn't break the thread!

Unread 04/10/2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Travis L. Stevens
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Yinepu
well.. at least I didn't break the thread!
Ah, but you did This just means that there are about 2000 replies on this thread as a whole and over 110,000 views. Nice!

Unread 04/10/2007, 01:48 PM   #8
Yinepu
Registered Member

I am a little confused by something.. it was mentioned earlier on to leave the rocks out of water for the first few weeks to a month.. but the ones with salt need to soak to remove the salt crystals deep inside the rock..

Will the few weeks of soaking them remove most of the salt inside (assuming they are only soaked for aproximately two weeks)?

Or is it better to soak them longer just to be on the safe side?

Unread 04/10/2007, 01:49 PM   #9
Yinepu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
Ah, but you did This just means that there are about 2000 replies on this thread as a whole and over 110,000 views. Nice!
ouch... looks like I have a LOT of reading to catch up on!

Unread 04/10/2007, 01:56 PM   #10
goldmaniac
Registered Member

Yinepu:

go back to the page before this one. Then read Travis' summary, it's really good. THEN read Insane Reefer's thorough 'points and tips' that Travis suggests. If you can get thru all of it, there's lots of info on it.

This is 95% of what you need to know.

I like a 1:1:2 ratio of cement: tank sand : Mortons Water Softener salt found at Lowe's or Home Depot, blue bag.

Congrats Travis!

on a side note, our kid #2 is due on Thursday. I have some rock that's been curing in salt for 6 days. I'll be busy for a little while, obviously.

Opinions, please:

should i start to Kure the rock now, after 7 days, or should I just let it Cure in the salt for another two weeks, probably? Honestly, I don't know how often I'll be able to change water during these next couple of weeks.

Thanks everyone!

-G.

Unread 04/10/2007, 01:58 PM   #11
Yinepu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goldmaniac
Opinions, please:

should i start to Kure the rock now, after 7 days, or should I just let it Cure in the salt for another two weeks, probably? Honestly, I don't know how often I'll be able to change water during these next couple of weeks.

Thanks everyone!

-G. [/B]
wow.. you are going to have your hands full.. I would say to let it sit for the next two weeks... then worry about soaking it/water changes when you have more time...

btw.. congrats!

Unread 04/10/2007, 02:01 PM   #12
goldmaniac
Registered Member

thanks - yeah, busy. AND my 8.9 month pregnant wife is watching me make live rock in the garage, wondering when I'm going to get all preparations done for kid#2!!

talk about a peeved pregnant lady

Unread 04/10/2007, 02:01 PM   #13
Azazael13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Yinepu
I am a little confused by something.. it was mentioned earlier on to leave the rocks out of water for the first few weeks to a month.. but the ones with salt need to soak to remove the salt crystals deep inside the rock..

Will the few weeks of soaking them remove most of the salt inside (assuming they are only soaked for aproximately two weeks)?

Or is it better to soak them longer just to be on the safe side?
I may be wrong ( and I am sure TLS or IR will correct me ) but the shortest time that you can get away with is 3 weeks, and that is under optimal conditions. You let them soak to leech out the chemicals (can't recall exactly which ones).

A typical cycle is this (for me anywa)
1) Make rocks on a Saturday.
2) Have my wife slap me when I walk towards the mold to check on them for at least 5 days.
3) Thursday to Following Saturday: During this point I will take the rocks from mold (longer wait for bigger rocks) and then submerse them.
4) One week from first submerge change water.
5) One week later change again.
6) For the next two weeks I change every 3-4 days.
7) After one month check PH.
8 - ???) Not sure what goes here yet

Fin) Place rocks in tank and let the life grow.

Now I open this up to TLS or IR to point out the error in my ways.

Oh something else I am doing, after the 3 week point I am separating out my rocks into separate containers. I would like to think that small rocks will be ready before the big ones, so this way I can tell individual rocks and know when they are ready.

All of my water changes are in normal water as well, don't have my RO/DI yet, however my final water soak will be in store bought RO/DI I think.

Unread 04/10/2007, 02:11 PM   #14
Travis L. Stevens
Registered Member

Yinepu: It's your personal preference. I would suggest longer, but it will take some trial and error to get right to find out how long it will take for the salt to completely come out of the rocks.

goldmaniac: Congratualtions and Good Luck! I would pull the rock from the salt mold and let it stand for another week or so before soaking to bring the pH down.

Azazael13: There are so many variances that it is difficul to tell how long it will take. As far as your procedures, you're right on except one thing. Since there is ample amount of Ca(OH)2 with newly made rocks, you're better off changing the water more often at first and less often towards the end. In fact, this could theoretically speed up your specific process.

Unread 04/10/2007, 02:14 PM   #15
Azazael13
Registered Member

Quote:

Azazael13: There are so many variances that it is difficul to tell how long it will take. As far as your procedures, you're right on except one thing. Since there is ample amount of Ca(OH)2 with newly made rocks, you're better off changing the water more often at first and less often towards the end. In fact, this could theoretically speed up your specific process.
I kinda thought that when I was typing it out, but I could have sworn I read it differently.

However I know my rocks are getting close because the water is looking less and less 'yucky'

Unread 04/10/2007, 02:17 PM   #16
Barto
Alleged Lounge Moron

Wow, this has been quite a busy day for the DIY rock thread!

I should be chiming in shortly with some of my own results & the weather is getting good enough to start making some more

AUGUST 2009 TOTM!

Current Tank Info: no more fish tanks, nothing, nada, gone!
Unread 04/10/2007, 02:32 PM   #17
Yinepu
Registered Member

Quote:
[B]Yinepu: It's your personal preference. I would suggest longer, but it will take some trial and error to get right to find out how long it will take for the salt to completely come out of the rocks.
ok thanks, everyone..

I will be making some rocks this weekend.. so I'll be sure to post my recipe and what all I do as well as any results!

I already have the portland cement type I/II
play sand
crushed oyster shell
crushed coral

still need to get some salt...

Unread 04/10/2007, 02:37 PM   #18
Yinepu
Registered Member

I have another question... for those who make caves using the rubber glove/balloon method; have you noticed the insides of the caves being very smooth?... or does the salt manage to give them some texture?

I am guessing the amount of smoothness would depend on the wetness of the mix... but rocks I have seen using the balloon/glove for making the caves all look fake when you look inside the caves... (outside = rough... inside = too smooth and man made). Granted the rocks I have seen in person didn't appear to have salt in the mix... so that may have had something to do with it...

Unread 04/10/2007, 02:41 PM   #19
Travis L. Stevens
Registered Member

No salt in the mix has a large portion of what happens with smooth ness, but gloves and balloons will always look manmade when you pull them out. No real way around that except to use a sand or salt mold to make the caves out of.

Unread 04/10/2007, 02:54 PM   #20
Yinepu
Registered Member

ah... gotcha!

Thanks again!

Unread 04/10/2007, 04:22 PM   #21
Azazael13
Registered Member

Quote:
No real way around that except to use a sand or salt mold to make the caves out of.
This is what I do. Take a heap of salt and then build the rest of the rock from there. Earlier in the thread (second half around page 36) I should have some pictures there of a cave I did, if not pm me and I can send you a link.

Unread 04/10/2007, 05:45 PM   #22
Insane Reefer
Registered Member

MDMS The info you want about hydraulics is here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=993625
Disregard the thread title

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Biocube 8
Unread 04/10/2007, 05:46 PM   #23
Insane Reefer
Registered Member

Travis,
Glad the move went well, sorry it had to happen though - sudden moves stink.
Nice write-up - covers the basics pretty concisely.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Biocube 8
Unread 04/10/2007, 07:03 PM   #24
L98-Z
Registered Member

I have a question regarding DIY Rock. If you wanted all your rock to be DIY rock, would there be a way to seed it? Is there a site that sells the typical creatures you'd get with live rock, but without having to buy live rock?

Unread 04/10/2007, 07:13 PM   #25
silverwolf72
Registered Member

You could get someone that has DIY rock thats already established and get some from them. At some point it has to be started with already live rock. Your wanting the coralline algae more than the critters the critters usually come with things you pick up along the way.

Closed Thread