Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2007, 12:42 AM   #1
LarryW
Premium Member

LarryW's 120G Oceanic Tech Series with Starphire Glass

Ok, so after a few years out of the hobby, and a move to Colorado, I have decided to setup another reef tank. I am planning on putting this on the main level of our house, and I have the perfect spot picked out. I am planning on some SPS, Clams, and softies, as well as a few fish. So anyway, here is the plan, and whats been ordered to date.

Ordered
120G RR Oceanic Tech Tank Series. 3 panels of starphire glass.
120g Tech Tank Stand
The tank and Stand cost me about $1100 with tax. They should be at my LFS on Friday or Saturday. Depending on the weather this weekend(it was almost 60 today) and how much snow we get I plan on picking it up.

Equipment List ~ items to order/Buy
Lighting ~ Coralife AquaLightPro 48" Fixture ~ 2X96W Compact Fluorescent Actinics, 2X250W HQI Metal Halide
Sump ~ My LFS has a sump/fuge combo unit with light. the X-large with is 36X16X18 is about $300. the fuge area is huge.
Skimmer ~ EuroReef RS180
Flow ~ 2 or 3 Tunze Nano Stream 6045's
LR ~ 80lb Kaelini uncured
DSB
Return pump ~ havent decided yet.
RO/DI ~ Kent Marine Deluxe Hi-S Maxxima 60 GPD System
Heater ~ Don't know yet...
Misc Items.... Several 5G buckets, Rubbermaid Brute 44g for RODI water, Rubbermaid Brute 20G for mixing SW.

I think thats it for now. I am planning on using my garden hose from out back, run a 100' hose into the garage, and hook it up my RODI unit to process my water. I will use the 44g trash can to hold the water, and the 20g can to mix my salt water in. I will setup a frag tank in the basement, and possibly another display tank, but that will be a while from now. As far as aquascaping, I have been inspired over the last few days to really do something different. I am planning two or three islands, which are shaped like coves, and have tons of small caves. Then connecting them with sky bridge, and have the islands go up and out towards the front of the tank like shelves. It looks like the drill will be getting alot of use drilling holes for the acrylic rods to secure what I have in my head.... that and a few tubes of epoxy. All of this is in the planning phase, so comments are more then welcome.... I will post pics as soon as the tank arrives, and then continue with the build process....

Last edited by LarryW; 02/22/2007 at 12:54 AM.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2007, 01:26 AM   #2
Hop
Carpe Noctem!!!

Sounds like a nice project. I'll be keeping tabs as things progress

Current Tank Info: 300-gallon in-wall system (mixed reef)
Hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2007, 08:12 AM   #3
reefkoi
Premium Member

yeah sounds nice, your scaping ideas sound great i'm glad to see you are going to be creative with that part.
Chris

Current Tank Info: A 600gal. on Zeovit & a 240gal.
reefkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2007, 09:14 AM   #4
LarryW
Premium Member

thanks. Yeah I was inspired by some of the aquascaping I saw over the past week or so.

Unread 02/22/2007, 09:36 AM   #5
OGReef
Registered Member

Why not go with the Tunze 6055's and a controller for flow?

OGReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2007, 11:17 AM   #6
LarryW
Premium Member

Well I briefly looked at the 6055, but saw the price tag, and decided to go with the 6045's. But after seeing the the 6045's aren't controllable, I might go with the 6055 for that flexability dow the road.

Thanks!

Unread 02/22/2007, 11:22 AM   #7
LarryW
Premium Member

UPDATED list...

Equipment List
120G Oceanic Tech Series Tank and Stand ~ Ordered

Items to buy still....
Lighting ~ Coralife AquaLightPro 48" Fixture ~ 2X96W Compact Fluorescent Actinics, 2X250W HQI Metal Halide
Sump ~ 36X16X18 Sump/Fuge combo unit
Skimmer ~ EuroReef RS180
Flow ~ 2 or Tunze Nano Stream 6055's
Flow Controller ~ Tunze MultiContoller 7095
LR ~ 80lb Kaelini uncured
DSB ~ anyone still use southdown?
Return pump ~ havent decided yet.
RO/DI ~ Kent Marine Deluxe Hi-S Maxxima 60 GPD System
Heater ~ Don't know yet...
Misc Items.... Several 5G buckets, 2 Rubbermaid Brute 44g for RODI water, 2 Rubbermaid Brute 20G for mixing SW.

Unread 02/22/2007, 11:57 AM   #8
murfman
Registered Member

Larry, sounds nice. Have you considered making your rock out of the Portland cement, in the shapes you want? Why not tap your RO/DI to pipes in the house vs. the back yard? That will keep it from freezing up on you. I used my sprinkler system pipes in the garage. I now have it in my utility room, in the basement.

murfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2007, 12:02 PM   #9
OGReef
Registered Member

The other option to look at for flow (the one that I am taking) is a Wavysea in each corner with the return pump feeding them.

OGReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2007, 12:07 PM   #10
LarryW
Premium Member

well I acutally have pipes for a slop sink in the laundry room, which is between the garage, and where the tank will be. I eventually want to put the sink in and use that to fill. Right now though I have an XL dog cage in there. I am hoping to put the sink in to place before september, so that I don't have to worry about the freezing issues. I might just run the garden hose from another sink in the house to my RODI, then the RODI out into the garage and into a container, I just don't trust it when I am away the unit is spec'd at 60GPD, and the brute is 44g. When they say 60GPD, what do they consider a day? 24 hrs? just curious, because I would prefer to start it at 8am, go to work, and not have a flooded garage @ 6pm.

Unread 02/22/2007, 12:09 PM   #11
LarryW
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OGReef
The other option to look at for flow (the one that I am taking) is a Wavysea in each corner with the return pump feeding them.

I had though about seaswirls prior to seeing the tunze nano streams. I just like the magnet flexability to easily move the powerhead whenever I want to.

Unread 02/22/2007, 01:14 PM   #12
LarryW
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by murfman
Larry, sounds nice. Have you considered making your rock out of the Portland cement, in the shapes you want? Why not tap your RO/DI to pipes in the house vs. the back yard? That will keep it from freezing up on you. I used my sprinkler system pipes in the garage. I now have it in my utility room, in the basement.
I have been thinking about starting with base rock and getting my foundation created for my islands. This will let me set them up outside the tank and really take my time creating them.

Unread 02/23/2007, 12:30 AM   #13
LarryW
Premium Member

well I will be picking the tank and stand up tomorrow... I'll post some pics tomorrow night.

Unread 02/23/2007, 12:44 AM   #14
LarryW
Premium Member

double post

Unread 02/23/2007, 03:24 AM   #15
Reet15
Registered Member

Sounds like it'll be a nice set up. Why not put in a closed loop instead of the powerheads? (How does it feel to be landlocked after living in MD? I'm from PA)

Unread 02/23/2007, 10:05 AM   #16
murfman
Registered Member

I agree with Rita, I had a 125 with two returns and two seio 8200s and now that I have a CLM with Dart, the flow is incredible. If you need any help with it, LMK and I can help out. I am of work today and tomorrow.

murfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2007, 11:16 AM   #17
LarryW
Premium Member

Thanks guys. I have though about a CL, I just don't know if I can get past drilling the tank. I guess I could run PVC over the back for now... I might start with the PH's when I add the base rock and then decide which one to go with before I cycle the tank. It's a hard sell to the wife... " yes I am drilling holes in the 800$ tank I just bought"

We prefer the altitude, and weather, but I do miss being so close to Dr. Mac and Sons. Oh well I don't miss the humidity, and population density of the Baltimore/Washington area. we lived in the middle of both, and close to Annapolis, and traffic was really really bad. but buying a 1600sqft townhouse in 2000 for 135k and selling it in 2005 for 325k worked out to our benefit. We bought a sweet ranch out in Meridian Ranch, and are extremely happy with the move.

Unread 02/23/2007, 11:56 AM   #18
newreefman31
Registered Member

sweet setup

Sounds like your going to have one kick *** tank. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress.

newreefman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2007, 12:43 PM   #19
Reet15
Registered Member

Its definitely something you should seriously consider Larry. I don't think I ever want to put a power head in my tank again - looks soooo much nicer without. And I have to agree with you on the crowds, humidity, etc. If it weren't for the family and the ocean, I'm not sure I'd ever go back to Philly.

Unread 02/23/2007, 02:44 PM   #20
LarryW
Premium Member

ok, maybe she won't notice the extra holes or the glass cutting drill bit

Unread 02/23/2007, 05:12 PM   #21
Reet15
Registered Member

LOL tell her its supposed to be that way.

Unread 02/23/2007, 11:56 PM   #22
LarryW
Premium Member

well....

unfortunatly my pick-up was to small to grab the tank and stand tonight, so I picked up the stand, and I will pickup the tank tomorrow. I have pics of the stand on the back of my truck after I carefully un-boxed it. I will move it into the house tomorrow. I will have pics of the tank tomorrow as well, but I will tell you this, It's freakin awsome. The euro-bracing is really sweet, is 3/4" Thanks to Jim @ Seascape Aquatics for tracking this tank down for me. now on to the pics.....

Unread 02/25/2007, 03:28 PM   #23
purebullet417
Rimless Reef Club

looks good dont you just love the tech series with the 3 opening sides i think its the best idea ever i use them all the time

Current Tank Info: 57 Gallon Rimless
purebullet417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2007, 03:37 PM   #24
d4a2n0k
Registered Member

If you are going with SPS then 2 x 6055 streams will not be nearly enough flow for the 120. I used to have an AGA 120 with 2 x 6000 streams on the multicontroller and wished I had more flow.

You really need at least a pair of the 6000's, preferably the 6100's.

d4a2n0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2007, 04:40 PM   #25
CeeGee
Registered Member

Are you planning on keeping SPS? If so I would go ahead and get the Tunze 6100 streams. I am using a pair of 6000's in my 37 gallon on a multicontroller. When I upgrade to a 120 gallon I am going to upgrade them to 6100's.

I would also highly highly recommend getting a aquacontroller jr or something comparable. I couldn't live without one now that I am the owner of one.

Good luck on your tank. Can't wait to see it.

P.S. there is no way in he** I would drill that tank. There are too many other options to risk it.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon display, 40 gallon breeder sump, RLSS R6i, ATI Powermodule, Apex, Ecotech MP40's
CeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote