Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Elos USA
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/10/2007, 05:17 PM   #1
nanoguy
OG Member

Talking My Elos 70 Pics

Picked up the tank from Jesse last week and have been busting my butt trying to finish up the work on my DIY stand. It's pretty much complete. All I have to do is paint the inside and I'm done. Here are a few pics..........don't mind the wires hanging off the wall .

Current Tank Info: Elos Rimless, Custom Stand/Suspended Canopy, and a bunch of other stuff
Old 10/10/2007, 05:29 PM   #2
FUA
Registered Member

wow that is a diy stand. looks very modern and difficult to build. looks great though. can't wait to see water in that thing.

Old 10/10/2007, 07:07 PM   #3
dukecola
Registered Member

Awesome stand that goes perfect with the Elos. That corner of your house is perfect for a Elos too. Only change I would make is to move the picture of the woman (your wife??) closer to the tank. You'll get big time brownie points if you do that! She looks so lost in that corner. :-)

Current Tank Info: Elos System 70, 5G micro, shrooms and zenia
Old 10/10/2007, 07:21 PM   #4
fisheebill
Premium Member

You got it!
Awesome!
The stand you made it really, really nice.
Did you decide on a fixture yet?

Old 10/10/2007, 08:12 PM   #5
nanoguy
OG Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dukecola
Awesome stand that goes perfect with the Elos. That corner of your house is perfect for a Elos too. Only change I would make is to move the picture of the woman (your wife??) closer to the tank. You'll get big time brownie points if you do that! She looks so lost in that corner. :-)
Thanks for the kind words everyone !

The room in the pic is my downstairs family room. It's still pretty empty with the exception of the couch you see. I think I'm going to put the setup against the brown wall, but there are a couple of other spots I can put it. An inlay media center and plasma will go where the tank is sitting now so it will have to move. Yes, that is a picture of my wife...........brownie points with the wife is always good !

Current Tank Info: Elos Rimless, Custom Stand/Suspended Canopy, and a bunch of other stuff

Last edited by nanoguy; 10/10/2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10/10/2007, 08:16 PM   #6
nanoguy
OG Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fisheebill
You got it!
Awesome!
The stand you made it really, really nice.
Did you decide on a fixture yet?
My original plan was to purchase a Giesemann Infiniti but after talking to a few owners I decided not to go that route. I picked up a 24" Maristar 250 DE/ T5 combo unit from kinetic instead. It's a sweet looking unit. It looks much better in person then it does in pics. Kinetic just save me $750!

Old 10/10/2007, 08:20 PM   #7
nanoguy
OG Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUA
wow that is a diy stand. looks very modern and difficult to build. looks great though. can't wait to see water in that thing.
It wasn't too difficult to build. All you need is very basic wood working skills. I'm just glad I still have all my fingers after cutting all that plywood. A couple of RC members on gave me some really good info in the DIY forum on how to put it together.

Old 10/10/2007, 09:15 PM   #8
slovan
Gold Member

Wow, very nice! The stand looks awesome. How about the Elos gear? What else did you get aside from the tank and plumbing?

Old 10/10/2007, 09:53 PM   #9
Maximus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nanoguy
My original plan was to purchase a Giesemann Infiniti but after talking to a few owners I decided not to go that route. I picked up a 24" Maristar 250 DE/ T5 combo unit from kinetic instead. It's a sweet looking unit. It looks much better in person then it does in pics. Kinetic just save me $750!
Looks great! May I ask what your friends said about the Infinity? I am leaning toward the 48" 2x250 Inifinity.

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: Giesemann Spectra w/400w 20k Radium and 4x24" T5's. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: ATB 840. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Old 10/10/2007, 10:47 PM   #10
nanoguy
OG Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slovan
Wow, very nice! The stand looks awesome. How about the Elos gear? What else did you get aside from the tank and plumbing?
I just purchased the tank for Jesse. I didn't need the skimmer but I am considering purchasing the sump from him. I'm feeling a bit lazy to put one together.

Maximus........the thing that deterred me the most from making the Giesemann purchase was what I heard about the customer service. A local LFS had a couple of 48" units that went bad on them and the US distributor is not standing behind the product saying it was user error (that's what I was told). I'm not saying it's a bad product but if something were to go wrong then it would be a real pain to get it repaired or replaced since the US distributor is located in Canada. That just made me a little uncomfortable.

Old 10/10/2007, 11:18 PM   #11
Maximus
Registered Member

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. Time to look for another possible fixture.

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: Giesemann Spectra w/400w 20k Radium and 4x24" T5's. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: ATB 840. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Old 10/11/2007, 08:14 AM   #12
boozeman
Registered Member

Impressive woodworking skills !!!

Old 10/11/2007, 09:22 AM   #13
CamBarr
Registered Member

droollllll

Old 10/11/2007, 09:53 AM   #14
Ginzo
Registered Member

Very nice ! Looks like an IKEA cabinet

I like it !

Old 10/11/2007, 09:57 AM   #15
Ewan
Premium Member

Very impressive!! I wouldn't dream of putting a DIY stand under an Elos, until I saw yours. I thought it was made by Elos until I re-read your OP.

Great work. I really like where you've placed your junction box for the wiring too.

This is one of those threads I'll use to convince my wife that I need an upgrade.

-E.

Old 10/11/2007, 10:00 AM   #16
Ewan
Premium Member

under closer inspection, it appears that you have home theater wiring coming from that box... Out with the big TV and in with the reef.

Old 10/11/2007, 10:52 AM   #17
Texsun
Registered Member

Nice work and welcome to they System 70 club. Any concerns with the four feet supporting most of the weight?

Eat them up, yum!

Current Tank Info: Dipping my toes back with an Elos Mini...
Old 10/11/2007, 11:05 AM   #18
nanoguy
OG Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ewan
under closer inspection, it appears that you have home theater wiring coming from that box... Out with the big TV and in with the reef.
.....the entertainment system is still going in.....the tank is in a temporary location in the room.

Quote:
Originally posted by Texsun
Nice work and welcome to they System 70 club. Any concerns with the four feet supporting most of the weight?
Thanks! I have no concerns with the legs. They support up to 600lbs each according to the specs. The legs have a wide steel base that the stand sits on........it's just not visible. I made sure to mount them directly under the side/vertical pieces of the plywood so it will transfer all the weight to the floor plus I doubled up the top and bottom of the stand for extra support.

Old 10/11/2007, 01:22 PM   #19
Fliger
Premium Member

That is incredible work. I can't wait to see it filled, good luck!

When life hands you lemons, add vodka!

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Old 10/11/2007, 05:45 PM   #20
Kigs
Moved On

Nice DIY job! I'll be tagging along for ideas.

Old 10/13/2007, 11:00 AM   #21
hifoo
Registered Member

very nice stand, fits perfectly with the elos tank

Old 10/13/2007, 11:20 AM   #22
Nuuze
Registered Member

Looking good nanoguy!

Old 10/17/2007, 11:58 AM   #23
Solitaryensis
Registered Member

Great looking stand, Nanoguy. I will be building my stand very soon and will likely design something very similar to yours. Is that a matte black finish? Did you pot a polyurethane over it? Any details on the finish would be great. Very inspiring. Thanks!

Old 10/17/2007, 12:40 PM   #24
nanoguy
OG Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Soli......the stand is finished in a mocha brown stain and finished off with a satin clear poly. The pictures are not all that great that is why it may appear to be matte black. The staining process is pretty simple and fool proof. Just sand the ply along the grain with 220 grit sand paper prior to applying the stain. Make sure you don't sand too much or you'll thin the veneer and it will not take the stain well. After sanding, make sure it is dust free and start applying a good amount of stain, wait a couple of minutes and then wipe off the excess. You may want to apply a wood conditioner prior to staining so you don't get uneven/blotchy spots. Use oil based stains and clear coat.....they will not raise the grain like water based products. I used a spray on poly......the ones you buy in a can. A lot of people say you can't get good results with a spray can but I would have to disagree. The key is to apply very thin even mist coats. DO NOT STOP MIDWAY during your spraying. You will get wet spots if you do. Make one continous spray pattern across your stand and release the nozzle button only when you have completely passed the end of the project. By the way, spray the edges first. I did a total of 7 thin coats. Don't worry if you don't cover the project in one pass. You'll get the rest with the following coats. After I built up a decent layer of poly, I sanded it down with 220 grit sand paper. This sanding step requires very little pressure on the sanding paper.....it's more like wiping then sanding. Wipe off the dust and spray your final coats. If you decide to use a "brush on poly" then you will have to sand between every coat but only 3 coats is needed as the brush on stuff goes on a lot thicker.

Last edited by nanoguy; 10/17/2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10/17/2007, 01:48 PM   #25
Texsun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Solitaryensis
Great looking stand, Nanoguy. I will be building my stand very soon and will likely design something very similar to yours. Is that a matte black finish? Did you pot a polyurethane over it? Any details on the finish would be great. Very inspiring. Thanks!
TL, keep taking notes so you can build mine.

Eat them up, yum!

Current Tank Info: Dipping my toes back with an Elos Mini...