Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/09/2008, 08:42 PM   #1
mille239
Premium Member

Project: transforming an AGA 120g in-wall, into a room divider, viewable on 3-sides

Well it's winter here in Michigan, and that means time for a new indoor project!

I've had this 120 in-wall (one of two in the house) set up for about 4 years, during witch the vast majority of the time it housed only a Tessalata eel which has grown to about 26".

I finally decided I wanted to make it into another reef tank, and with a little pursuasion from my fiance, I took Tessy to the LFS on Monday to be sold on consignment. It was a sad day, but I know I couldn't expect him to spend the rest of his growing days in a 120 gallon, and being a reputable LFS, I know they will make sure it gets sold to someone with the proper set up to make him happy.

Eel Video

So begins the planning stages, and I thought it would be nice to move the tank out of the corner facing our dining room table, to face the rest of the room, thereby creating:
A) a tank viewable on three sides;
B) more room (approximately 3 ft) for the dining room table area;
C) a more definitive devider between the living room and the dining room; and
D) get rid of a never-used little bar area the previous house owners had built into the wall.

So onto MS paint I went with the idea to sketch something up. (I haven't been schooled in CAD programs yet, so please don't be too critical on the drawing)

Basically I'm moving the tank out of the wall, rotating it 90 degrees, and moving it over about 4 feet.

Once the project is done, the entire room will be finished off with wood floors and new oak trim. So over the next few weeks I''ll be posting here the progress; feel free to critique, and give any advice you like. This will basically be my build log for this project, much like my other 120 gallon project 2 years ago (click on my red house for that project)

Disclaimer:

No trees were harmed in the creation of this post, though a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Current Tank Info: 120 SPS reef in progress, 120 mixed reef, currently being completely rebuilt)
mille239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2008, 01:40 PM   #2
mille239
Premium Member

The de(con)struction has begun...

Disclaimer:

No trees were harmed in the creation of this post, though a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Current Tank Info: 120 SPS reef in progress, 120 mixed reef, currently being completely rebuilt)

Last edited by mille239; 01/11/2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:19 PM   #3
animaladam
Registered Member

dude that is going to look so sweet when its done!!!!!

animaladam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2008, 06:15 AM   #4
mille239
Premium Member

A little more progress this weekend...
I got the tank drained and removed, ( I couldn't believe how many thousands of bristle worms had colonized the gravel since I hadn't vacuumed it in over a year) I saved a ton of them and placed them in my SPS tank's 30 gal refugium

I started framing the walls back in, and got the stand in it's new position.

Disclaimer:

Old 01/14/2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Dustin1231
Registered Member

thats alot of work...

Current Tank Info: a 12 nano and 120 mixed started on June 16 2007
Dustin1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2008, 01:04 PM   #6
mille239
Premium Member

Yeah, it is a lot of work, but I enjoy it! Once it's framed in, and the stand is painted and waterproofed, all I have to do is put the drywall up and the hard part is over. Then I can begin to get the tank rolling again and let it start cycling new rocks while I work on the details like trim, lighting, filtration, etc...

On a plus side, when I tore out that bar-area shown in the second picture at the top of this thread, I found a TON of wasted space behind it! It must go back another 3 feet. I don't know why the previous owner of the house didint' want to use this space. I will be able to make a small fish room behind the tank, hidden from view for all the sumps, refugiums, frag tanks I desire, and no-one will be the wiser!

I'll snap some pictures of it this evening after work.

oh, and thanks for checking out my thread ANIMALADAM and DUSTIN1231. I was getting lonely

Disclaimer:

Old 01/16/2008, 01:39 AM   #7
Ed Ricketts
Registered Member

mille239,
Great to find "a small fish room" in your house without too much remodelling. Saw your location, wife grew up in St. Clair Shores. Based on your drawings, this will be a sweet build.

Current Tank Info: 3x33 gal, and a 40 breeder mixed reef system, total system volume 240 gallons, in a greenhouse
Ed Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2008, 06:57 AM   #8
lilchris
Premium Member

I am subscribed. This is going to be cool. I am going to get somw pointers from you since this is what I what to have one day

lilchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2008, 08:18 AM   #9
mille239
Premium Member

Thanks Ed, yeah St. Clair Shores is right next door. I actually grew up on the other side of SCS, in Grosse Pointe.
A lot of this tank build will be trial and error, but hopefully I'll be able to help someone out from my experience, thanks for tagging along lilchris.

Finished up the framing yesterday, I just have to put the plywood floor in the stand, then paint it and seal it. would like to get around to the drywall this weekend.

you can see how much newly-discovered room I have in the 'tank closet' behind the stand. I just need to find a way to hide/protect those copper pipes running across the middle near the floor. I will prob. insulate them as well so they don't add a lot of heat to the tank.

Disclaimer:

Old 01/16/2008, 10:14 AM   #10
LisaD
That's not a salmon

Looks like a great project. I'm eager to see how it turns out.

Current Tank Info: tankless at the moment
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2008, 07:35 AM   #11
mille239
Premium Member

A little update... I've got the sheet rock up, and I've starded the mudding. (please don't be too critical, I've only done this twice before in my life, so I'm no professional drywall installer.

I hope to have the sanding and priming all done this weekend so I can get the tank back into place (and off of our dining room table )

Disclaimer:

Old 01/22/2008, 11:49 AM   #12
jjakes24
Registered Member

I was following your build too. Drywall is never fun but at least you have a power sander to do the work. It doesn't look like it has an outlet to a wet/dry vac as I can see dust all over the chair. The dust from sanding is the worst part. Good job so far though.

jjakes24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2008, 12:32 PM   #13
DawnOctopus
Octopus in Training

Good find with the lil fish room! I'm watching too

DawnOctopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2008, 12:47 PM   #14
osprey3883
Registered Member

Great thread, thanks for sharing!

osprey3883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2008, 02:13 PM   #15
Toledofishguy
Registered Member

taggin along

Current Tank Info: 120 under t-5 lighting
Toledofishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2008, 02:28 PM   #16
marlin_dory
Registered Member

where do u live in michigan i live in saginaw so if u need help i could come over and help im going to be starting a 120 as well 48"x24"x24"

Old 01/22/2008, 03:16 PM   #17
peanut95
Registered Member

For that not being done by a pro it looks [email protected] good.

peanut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2008, 03:30 PM   #18
Chef Reef
Moved On

damn, im tagging. looks like it will be great! GL.

Chef Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2008, 03:34 PM   #19
chrismunn
Registered Member

whats happening with the space behind the tank?

Austin Reef Club

PBITAWA...

Current Tank Info: 14g bio cube
chrismunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2008, 07:51 AM   #20
mille239
Premium Member

Quote:
jjakes24 I was following your build too. Drywall is never fun but at least you have a power sander to do the work. It doesn't look like it has an outlet to a wet/dry vac as I can see dust all over the chair. The dust from sanding is the worst part. Good job so far though.
The power sander does have a outlet to a wet/dry vac, but that is one piece of equipment I do not have. (I may have to pick one up, but in the mean time I am going to do as much wet sanding as AI can to keep the dust to a minimum. Thanks for the kuddos!

Quote:
DawnOctopus Good find with the lil fish room! I'm watching too
Thanks! I was fortunate to find that extra little bit of room back there. We all know, every little bit helps! thanks for tagging along.

Quote:
osprey3883 Great thread, thanks for sharing!
Thank you!

Quote:
Toledofishguy taggin along
Excellent! welcome aboard.

Quote:
marlin_dory where do u live in michigan i live in saginaw so if u need help i could come over and help im going to be starting a 120 as well 48"x24"x24"
I'm in SE Michigan, about 20 miles north east of Detroit. Thanks for the offer, I will definately let you know if I get hung up. Hopefully we can gain some useful insight from each others projects and come up with two great 120's.

Quote:
peanut95 For that not being done by a pro it looks [email protected] good.
Thank you very much, that means alot!

Quote:
Chef Reef damn, im tagging. looks like it will be great! GL.
Thank you, and welcome aboard!

Quote:
chrismunn whats happening with the space behind the tank?
That space is going to be used to keep reef-related equipment which won't fit under the stand, such as a 30 gallon refugium, a big skimmer (when I upgrade down the road, right now I plan on using my old turboflotor which I am going to mod, and also use a remora pro simultaneously. These I think I will be able to fit with the sump under the tank, depending on what size sump I go with. I'm thinking a standard 30 gallon should suffice) Possibly further down the road, if I decide to go SPS, I can place the reactors and maybe a frag tank back there as well. Its not a huge area, but if properly planned out, can be put to good use.

Disclaimer:

Old 01/23/2008, 08:50 AM   #21
new_world_disor
Registered Member

looking good u work preety fast :P

new_world_disor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2008, 10:21 AM   #22
rlxwcapt
Registered Member

Is that door to the fish room to code. It looks like it is about 16" wide. How will you get equipment in there. You have done a great job so far. Keep up the great work.

rlxwcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2008, 10:39 AM   #23
mille239
Premium Member

Quote:
rlxwcapt Is that door to the fish room to code. It looks like it is about 16" wide. How will you get equipment in there. You have done a great job so far. Keep up the great work.
Code???? doh! I didn't know storage closets had to be sized to a certain code!! oh well, I guess the fish room police will have to come after me. You have a good eye, it is exactly 16 inches wide. (I'm using half of a 32" folding closet door from Lowes, which you might be able to see leaning against the wall in the picture). I can't imagine any equipment I'd be putting in there to be wider than 16", or at least be able to be turned on it's end to get it through there.

Thanks for the compliments!

Disclaimer:

Old 01/23/2008, 03:57 PM   #24
chrismunn
Registered Member

i must not have been paying close enough attention. for some reason i thought you were going to close off the space behind the tank.
keep up the good work!

Austin Reef Club

PBITAWA...

Current Tank Info: 14g bio cube
chrismunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2008, 08:35 PM   #25
mille239
Premium Member

Well originally, I was goiong to close it off, but once I tore out that bar, I realized just how much room I really had back there, and to waste it just seems silly to me.

Got the rest of the mudding finshed up toinight, as well as calking all the joints in the stand and headder, to prepare for final sanding and priming tomorrow. Pictures will follow thereafter!

Disclaimer: