Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/26/2008, 08:46 PM   #226
Tswifty
Registered Member

Here's some pics of some small modifications I made today...

Needed a grate to keep the macro out of the fuge drain.

Used some silicon pads I made and some eggcrate to silence the return pump... it actually worked great.

Here's half of the silicon pad I had left... I used a cardboard mold and filled it... let the silcon cure for 24hours then peeled away the cardboard.

Unread 03/26/2008, 08:49 PM   #227
Tswifty
Registered Member

Stock tank pics... I hooked up my phosban reactor that was on the sump onto the tank and filled it halfway with the hydrocarbon to help keep the water clear. The sump is no longer running on it. Also stuck in some PVC fittings and a small egg crate hideout.

Full

Left

Right

Unread 03/27/2008, 01:50 PM   #228
Tswifty
Registered Member

Great News!!! I was able to resolve the matter with the seller regarding the lighting situation, and had my money refunded. Now I can move forward and purchase some new lighting!

Unread 03/27/2008, 02:01 PM   #229
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty8
Great News!!! I was able to resolve the matter with the seller regarding the lighting situation, and had my money refunded. Now I can move forward and purchase some new lighting!
that is great news

where is the rest of your live rock?

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 03/27/2008, 02:06 PM   #230
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
that is great news

where is the rest of your live rock?
It was a pretty rough process but it all worked out in the end, and that's all that matters.

I don't exactly understand what you mean...?

The pics of the tank with the PVC and trigger in it are of my 55 gallon, which is stripped down to a minimum to serve as a stocking tank for my 90.

I left a few pieces of rock in there, because 2 pieces have mushrooms on them, and the other piece is large and has some green moss type algea on it. I was nervous about transfering it so I figured I'd leave it in there as a hideout for the new additions.

Unread 03/27/2008, 05:25 PM   #231
tony45power
Registered Member

sweet tank. i love the plumbing setup i am going to do the exact same this weekend.!!!

Unread 03/27/2008, 06:09 PM   #232
Tswifty
Registered Member

Wanted to post this here... a fellow member posted this on the plumbing thread:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by H20ENG
Twisty,
Nice plumbing there. I see one thing that could cause catastrophic failure- NO plumbing support. All that plumbing hanging by a bulkhead has the leverage of a crowbar. If you simply bump it, it'll blow the back out of the tank.

Please dont take offense, I see this all the time and am just trying to help avoid a failure.

I like these clamps a lot for strut:

These 2 hole clamps are cheap but effective if you have something solid to mount against. Found in the electrical aisle.:

Unread 03/27/2008, 06:10 PM   #233
Tswifty
Registered Member

looks like I have my project for the weekend

Unread 03/27/2008, 06:14 PM   #234
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tony45power
sweet tank. i love the plumbing setup i am going to do the exact same this weekend.!!!
Thanks... after getting it all hooked up, and witnessing how silent it is, I will definately be plumbing all my future tanks this way!!!

I'd advise looking into what H20ENG posted, as I will be doing that this weekend, mounting it in similiar style to his first pic. I wish I would have already had this in place before I added the water. Space is cramped behind the tank, and I think this is going to be extremely difficult.

Unread 03/27/2008, 06:26 PM   #235
fishkid6692
Registered Member

what kind of macro algae are you growing?

Current Tank Info: 180g - 4' by 3' by 2'. bubbleking mini 180, apex controller, (2) vortech mp40's, phosban reactor, geissmen moonlight fixture
Unread 03/27/2008, 07:51 PM   #236
Tswifty
Registered Member

I bought it from the LFS here... they told me it was cheato, but I think it is some type of Caulerpa

Unread 03/27/2008, 09:20 PM   #237
LoganTidwell
Registered Member

great build and great thread, but as i like people to criticize for me so i can fix things, i will do for you. everything looks great, the only thing i would change if it were me, would be to change the white 90's in the display for returns to black 90's...they really stick out and i find myself looking at them first before i look at anything else in the tank. i know its little and its picky, but i think it would be much more pleasing to the eye. overall great job thought.

Unread 03/27/2008, 09:23 PM   #238
Tswifty
Registered Member

yep... I agree and I already have a website lined up to order a black piece of acrylic to cover the calfo... As for the 45 from the return... it's not in the viewing area when looking head on.

Unread 03/27/2008, 09:25 PM   #239
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
It was a pretty rough process but it all worked out in the end, and that's all that matters.

I don't exactly understand what you mean...?

The pics of the tank with the PVC and trigger in it are of my 55 gallon, which is stripped down to a minimum to serve as a stocking tank for my 90.

I left a few pieces of rock in there, because 2 pieces have mushrooms on them, and the other piece is large and has some green moss type algea on it. I was nervous about transfering it so I figured I'd leave it in there as a hideout for the new additions.
bad post--pass--I hate when you can't remove your own mistakes

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 03/27/2008, 09:26 PM   #240
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
gotcha this time-- hook line and sinker

Unread 03/27/2008, 09:29 PM   #241
Tswifty
Registered Member

haha... how large of water changes, and how often should I be doing them on my 90...

I think I've seen some dead or dying bristleworms in my cheatolerpa...

Unread 03/27/2008, 09:57 PM   #242
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
haha... how large of water changes, and how often should I be doing them on my 90...

I think I've seen some dead or dying bristleworms in my cheatolerpa...
water change only if you notice a spike in ammonia--which I don't think you will get--due to the rock being taken directly from one tank to the next

keep the light off on the chaeto--you may be frying the bristle worms

Unread 03/27/2008, 09:58 PM   #243
Aquarist007
Registered Member

BTW--hope you don't mind but I used this picture in a couple of posts(giving you credit)

Unread 03/27/2008, 10:05 PM   #244
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
water change only if you notice a spike in ammonia--which I don't think you will get--due to the rock being taken directly from one tank to the next

keep the light off on the chaeto--you may be frying the bristle worms
Yeah I haven't had it on yet... I think I may need to add a small fan though, because it is enclosed inside the stand now... I upped the wattage, and think it gets too hot... so I am going to be switching back down to my old unit.

Def don't mind... That's what they're there for

Unread 03/27/2008, 10:40 PM   #245
Tswifty
Registered Member

I need to stay off LiveAquaria's Diver's Den page... I want everything, and my tank is to small for most of it...

Unread 03/28/2008, 08:01 AM   #246
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah I haven't had it on yet... I think I may need to add a small fan though, because it is enclosed inside the stand now... I upped the wattage, and think it gets too hot... so I am going to be switching back down to my old unit.

Def don't mind... That's what they're there for
I like your attitude--you would have made a great teacher

Unread 03/28/2008, 12:06 PM   #247
Tswifty
Registered Member

haha... thanks

Unread 03/28/2008, 02:35 PM   #248
Tswifty
Registered Member

Heading out to pick up the plumbing supports and an Ammonia test kit now... This is why it won't be fun installing them. I left very little space behind the tank, just enough to access the valves

Unread 03/28/2008, 02:38 PM   #249
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Heading out to pick up the plumbing supports and an Ammonia test kit now... This is why it won't be fun installing them. I left very little space behind the tank, just enough to access the valves

what kind of supports did you get?

Unread 03/28/2008, 06:29 PM   #250
Tswifty
Registered Member

Here is the support unit I will be using that I picked up today from Home Depot...

I believe the parts are:
(1) 4' Section of Galvanized Channel Steel
(3) 1/4" Spring Nuts
(3) 1/4" x 1"
(3) 1-1/2" Conduit Holders
(3) 1/4" Washers
(4) 1/4" x 2" Heavy Duty Hex Screws

I found everything in the Electrical section... the bolts and washers in the Hardware section.

Here's some pics: