Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 05/30/2008, 01:42 PM   #176
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Al Bendiksen
Thats a pretty good "quick" sketch. I think i would have just taken a picture Paint and i dont get along that well. lol
Haha... When I was in high school I wanted to be an Architectual Engineer, and used to be pretty good with Auto CAD...

I ended up accepting a baseball scholarship instead, so now I do what I can with paint

Unread 05/30/2008, 01:53 PM   #177
Tswifty
Registered Member

For anyone who is interested, here is an issue I ran into last night with my RO/DI unit:

TDS in reading LOWER than TDS out

Unread 05/30/2008, 03:24 PM   #178
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty8
For anyone who is interested, here is an issue I ran into last night with my RO/DI unit:

TDS in reading LOWER than TDS out
I read all that thread thanks T.J.
It sounds like an expensive problem---maybe time to upgrade the complete unit. I am going to test mine and do that if getting high tds readings

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 05/30/2008, 03:41 PM   #179
Tswifty
Registered Member

Actually it's not going to be that bad. I think it will only end up costing around $50-$60.

I think the problem is, that the units are generically made to fit the majority of customers needs. I have no knowledge regarding water quality and therefore just called up and purchased the "over the counter" model.

There's nothing wrong with the actual RO/DI unit, I just need a few different cartritdges, because of my tap water. I'm sure that if I had known the composition of my tap water up front, the filter guys would have made this recommendation initially.

It looks like all I will need to get back on track is an extra housing, which comes with a new DI cartridge and resin, and a Silica Buster cartridge.

The layout will be as follows:

TAP WATER IN - - RO Membranes - - Silica Buster - - DI - - WATER OUT

The Anion Silica Buster from what I understand will protect and extend the life of the DI resin.

Unread 05/30/2008, 05:17 PM   #180
shadylady
Registered Member

Wow your thread just keeps getting better and better and you keep solving all of my problems

I recently exhausted my DI resin after 2 months and while TDS did not rise yet because I changed it, I suspect the cause may be the same. Did you figure out if you have a lot of CO2 in your tap water or are you just assuming so because of your tap water TDS?

Hopefully you will keep posting pics once you have the second DI so we can see how it goes in.

Thanks again for documenting all these important issues, I agree with Cap'n for thread of the month

Unread 05/30/2008, 06:04 PM   #181
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shadylady
Wow your thread just keeps getting better and better and you keep solving all of my problems

I recently exhausted my DI resin after 2 months and while TDS did not rise yet because I changed it, I suspect the cause may be the same. Did you figure out if you have a lot of CO2 in your tap water or are you just assuming so because of your tap water TDS?

Hopefully you will keep posting pics once you have the second DI so we can see how it goes in.

Thanks again for documenting all these important issues, I agree with Cap'n for thread of the month
If you agree then nominate the thread like I did for thread of the month

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 05/30/2008, 06:21 PM   #182
shadylady
Registered Member

I'd love to Capn but as you can see from my post count I am pretty newb to RC (but not to saltwater tanks)--how do I do that?

Unread 05/30/2008, 08:34 PM   #183
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:

Haha... well I'm glad it's doing more than just documenting all my headaches

In all seriousness, I'm glad it helps though. That's why I wanted document everything that went into the startup of my reef tank, and first year establishing it... ALL the ups and downs, so others would have a thread to go to when they run into problems, and say... "hey look, this is normal."

As for your question... Yes, I am assuming it is the CO2 based on AJ's and Jdieck's feedback. I actually received a water report from the water company yesterday, but I accidently spilled a drink on it and pitched it before I could read it... Figures... huh

I'll have to call them for another copy next week.

Anyway, right now I am running just the RO unit, and the water is coming out with a TDS of 8ppm. I figure it's still has to be better than tap water with conditioner, and I'm going to use it for top off purposes until my new membranes get here.

When I pulled out the DI housing, the color had changed and the unit was definately exhausted. I may need to even replace all the RO membranes also, but I'm going to do it a little at a time.

Unread 05/30/2008, 08:46 PM   #184
Tswifty
Registered Member

PBT update... He got his first freshwater dip today, and it lasted for 5 heartstopping minutes. About 3 minutes in I thought I killed him for sure, but he made it. He's back in the 55g tank right now, and I'll check on him in the morning. I wanted to get the first dip out of the way, even though I was returning him to the same tank. The next dip will be in 3 days if he needs it.

Unread 05/30/2008, 09:16 PM   #185
Aquarist007
Registered Member

hows your third week stats on the two part dosing?

Unread 05/30/2008, 09:17 PM   #186
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:

I'd love to Capn but as you can see from my post count I am pretty newb to RC (but not to saltwater tanks)--how do I do that?
tell you the truth I forgot how---I know someone stated how to nominate a thread before , actually on this thread--I'm still looking

Unread 05/30/2008, 09:35 PM   #187
Tswifty
Registered Member

Figured I would post a picture of what I am currently feeding my tank. I just picked up some Red Algae today, and am going to try it out for the PBT.

I have no real pattern for feeding. Kind of just whatever I feel like on any given day, and I try to rotate it so I don't feed the same thing twice in a day.

Unread 05/30/2008, 09:39 PM   #188
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
hows your third week stats on the two part dosing?
I'll let you know tomorrow...

I plan on testing either early in the morning before I head out, or after I get back from the Cleveland Zoo and Salty Critter fish store.

I'm going to be interested to see if the Ca level changes, because I picked up a Salifert Ca test kit today, and I had been using API.

Unread 05/30/2008, 09:55 PM   #189
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty8
I'll let you know tomorrow...

I plan on testing either early in the morning before I head out, or after I get back from the Cleveland Zoo and Salty Critter fish store.

I'm going to be interested to see if the Ca level changes, because I picked up a Salifert Ca test kit today, and I had been using API.
I wasn't aware of that --the salifert is a much more accurate method of testing
you probably will already but make sure you take the reading from both for this week.
I compare using the two like the difference between a swing arm and a refractometer

Unread 05/31/2008, 03:04 AM   #190
Tswifty
Registered Member

Here's the video of the first FW dip for the PBT. It lasted 5 minutes, and like I said... I thought he kicked the bucket at 3 minutes.

Specs on the FW setup:

15g BareBottom Tank
Dual Output Air Pump w/ Airstones
AquaClear 20 Powerhead
Heater

15 Gallons RO/DI Water
Temperature matched within 1 degree
pH matched (used 1-1/2 tsp of baking soda to bring up pH to 8.0)

Discarded water after use.

**Now I have to warn you... This gets a little rough to watch around 4 minutes in... So keep in mind that this is "helping" him**

Last edited by Tswifty; 05/31/2008 at 03:12 AM.
Unread 05/31/2008, 06:38 PM   #191
Tswifty
Registered Member

Picked up a free 30g tank, stand, and supplies today from someone cleaning out there garage. The majority of it will be pitched, but it came with an unopened 200g bucket of Tropic Marin salt mix, and VHO lighting that I think I can hijak the 3 ballasts from to run T5's. Also there were 2 Mini-Jet 1200's and a busted SeaClone 150 skimmer.

Unread 05/31/2008, 06:56 PM   #192
Tswifty
Registered Member

Some pictures I snapped from today's trip to the Cleveland Zoo that I thought I would share with everyone:

Unread 05/31/2008, 06:57 PM   #193
Tswifty
Registered Member

Unread 05/31/2008, 06:59 PM   #194
Tswifty
Registered Member

Unread 05/31/2008, 08:39 PM   #195
SulfurAcid
Registered Member

Wow, I just joined Reef Central, and i am for sure going to be watching this thread.

I am currently, believe it or not, in the process of setting up a 90 gallon reef as well, and this build has helped me a ton with the plumbing, lighting, and pretty much everything. Im gonna be doing a HQI/T5 Hybrid, and I will follow your T5 lighting scheme.

Nice build by the way, now following it religiously

Unread 05/31/2008, 08:52 PM   #196
Tswifty
Registered Member

New Additions

Green Open Brain Coral

3 Head Neon Green Trumpet Coral Frag (in background)

Purple Acropora

Larger Orange Monti Cap Frag

Green Monti Cap Frag

Purple Chalice Coral Frag

Right Side Shot

Unread 05/31/2008, 08:55 PM   #197
Tswifty
Registered Member

Some other goodies I picked up:

Supplies to attach the corals

They were out of Phosban, so I'm going to try this GFO media

Auto Top Off

Unread 05/31/2008, 09:54 PM   #198
SCIFI_3D_zoo
Registered Member

Kinda cool in way but I think this one is just too much softies over grown. Now I'm more educated about this stuff I know why I see what I see at aquariums. Stuff like this, light on SPS, and if any usually a monti or something. I always wondered why I don't see something that could compete with some of the TOTM we see here. Maybe it's the extra costs associated with the high calcium damands? Or maybe they're not as good as some of the people here. I've been to a lot of aquariums and have not seen anything as good as some of the TOTM's here... even the Georgia Aq.
Quote:

Current Tank Info: 90g Reef(no SPS b/c of AquaC skimmer) Pacific Blue Tang, Maroon Clown(hosting Finger Leather), Mystery Wrasse(who's location is a mystery), Coral Beauty, Mandarin. AquaC EV240, JBJ ATO, KALK top-off, *Prodibio*
Unread 06/01/2008, 09:48 AM   #199
Tswifty
Registered Member

New Water Parameters:

Unread 06/01/2008, 10:40 AM   #200
new2sw776784
Registered Member

Those are some nice frags you picked up.
Also some very nice pics of the zoo.
that fresh water dip was scary.
how is the PBT?

Closed Thread