Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 10/16/2008, 10:05 PM   #1
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...7#post13562507

Unread 10/16/2008, 10:05 PM   #2
mr_cali
Registered Member

So after some thought, I decided to just modify my CPR Skimmer (that is currently running fantastically on my JBJ 28HQI) instead of buying an entirely new fuge.

First, I cut up and re-glued together an old breeder trap that I had for my clowns
Photobucket

I then added the net and the chaeto
Photobucket

I velcroed on a coralife PC to the left chamber of my skimmer, secured with a zip tie
Photobucket

And there you go....it's running really nicely
Photobucket
Photobucket

Here's 1 day build up of skimmate
Photobucket

A full tank shot (with skmmer/fuge in the back)
Photobucket

Unread 10/17/2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Jasonanatal
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Does anyone have an issue with maintaining their pH. I seem to have an issue with my pH dropping to extremely low levels of 7.75 at the lowest measurement.

Unread 10/17/2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Owen28GT
Registered Member

YEY SPLIT!!! Post up your pictures!

My JBJ 28 =)

VIDEO RIGHT CLICK SAVE AS
http://www.nokeo.com/1.wmv

Unread 10/17/2008, 08:27 AM   #5
Jasonanatal

Reply to Owen28GT.

Quote:
Originally posted by Owen28GT
YEY SPLIT!!! Post up your pictures!

My JBJ 28 =)

VIDEO RIGHT CLICK SAVE AS
http://www.nokeo.com/1.wmv
Owen28GT, looks like someone is running a Vortech!!!

Unread 10/17/2008, 08:54 AM   #6
Jasonanatal

Good News Everyone, I know their was some debate on another Forum that people were affriaf that my Tiger Tail Cucumber would whipe out my aquarium but guess what after a period of about 3 months seeing him grow at an incredible rate my little guy decided it was time to split in two! Score 1 for the little guy

Unread 10/17/2008, 09:43 AM   #7
breeze
Premium Member

Quote:
Also the wavemaker unit on these things will turn to both on if you loose power. So i picker up a cheap no brand computer UPS from geeks.com (20-30 dollars i think), so know whenever the power goes out and comes back on , the wavemaker doesn't kick both rear pumps on. This can be an issue as the left and right rear chambers loose level first, which gets really low if both pumps turn on, so you end up with microbubbles and chance of runnig th pumps dry and burning them out.
Be careful with this. I had the same setup, no problem for when the power was off for 1-2 minutes. But a few months ago when a hurricane was coming, I decided to test out how long the pumps would run on the battery backup. They did fine for about 20 minutes then the wavemaker stopped working. When I plugged back in the battery backup, it still wouldn't work and it smelled like burnt out electronics (if you have ever smelled that, you know what I'm talking about). Luckily, JBJ sent me a new wavemaker (I didn't give the whole story to them )

I now have my RK2 as the wavemaker for the rear pumps and use the JBJ waveaker for the 2 Koralia nanos in the display. This way if the power goes out, it's ok for the koralias to run at the same time. I also have a Koralia 1 in the display on the battery backup to keep flow if the power goes out.

Unread 10/17/2008, 09:55 AM   #8
breeze
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasonanatal
Does anyone have an issue with maintaining their pH. I seem to have an issue with my pH dropping to extremely low levels of 7.75 at the lowest measurement.
Yes, my pH was dropping to about 7.75 during the night and back up to about 8.0 during the day. Its most likely due to excess CO2 in the air in your home if its happening at night. To test this, take a cup of tank water and aerate it indoors with an airstone for 30min then test pH. If pH goes up, then you have poor gas exchange (unlikely with your skimmer running). If pH stays the same or goes up very little, take a new cup of tank water outside and aerate for 30 min. If pH goes up, then it is due to excess CO2 in the tank water which cannot be blown off due to excess CO2 also in the house (common problem in newer houses with little ventilation).
The remedy for this would be opening a window, (doesn't work well for you in the winter) or dripping Kalk at night, which is what I do. My pH now drops to 7.9 at night and goes to about 8.1 during the day. I am going to add a HOB refugium with opposite lighting schedule to try to help further.

This is a good article on the topic:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

Unread 10/17/2008, 06:02 PM   #9
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasonanatal
I don't have any problems with my ph. My ph is 8.0-8.2

Unread 10/22/2008, 07:14 PM   #10
hppd432
Registered Member

Pearl Berry Acro :-)

Current Tank Info: 28G HQI JBJ Saltwater Reef Tank. Added actinic lighting from nano customs and 2 Hydor Koralia Nano Powerheads plus replaced stock pumps with maxi jet 900s. Still using stock skimmer. Middle compartment Fuge with chaeto :-)
Unread 10/22/2008, 11:16 PM   #11
SlvrSurfRidr
aka: coraltopia

very nice, thx for the pic!

Unread 10/23/2008, 11:36 AM   #12
hppd432
Registered Member

top of tank pic

Current Tank Info: 28G HQI JBJ Saltwater Reef Tank. Added actinic lighting from nano customs and 2 Hydor Koralia Nano Powerheads plus replaced stock pumps with maxi jet 900s. Still using stock skimmer. Middle compartment Fuge with chaeto :-)
Unread 10/23/2008, 11:57 PM   #13
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

Re: top of tank pic

Quote:
Originally posted by hppd432
Very nice tank! You have the 150 watt MH over it right? What brand bulb are you using?

Unread 10/24/2008, 09:16 AM   #14
hppd432
Registered Member

Western Reefer thanks for the comp.
Yes have the 150HQI and the actnics from nano customs.
Still using stock bulb but when 6 months is up going to the Phoenix

Unread 10/24/2008, 02:28 PM   #15
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

Quote:
Originally posted by hppd432
Western Reefer thanks for the comp.
Yes have the 150HQI and the actnics from nano customs.
Still using stock bulb but when 6 months is up going to the Phoenix
Nice! Are you going to get a 14k or a 20k Phoenix? Are the actinics PCs, VHOs, or T-5s? Your SPS look so nice!

Unread 10/24/2008, 07:50 PM   #16
hppd432
Registered Member

Going with the 14k Phoenix. PC's are 2 x 18w Actinic Blue PC Bulbs from nano customs.

I am so happy with the sps corals. I was worried at first but they have grown like crazy. The pearl berry simply glows when the mh goes out and its just the actinics.

The one thing I learned from years ago when I was doing this was to be very picky about what I put in the tank. The only thing I would change now would be getting rid of one fish that was suppose to be reef safe but he seems to have a taste for escargot (snails) :-)

Hoping to get a reefkeeper 2 for Christmas to make life a little easier.

Unread 10/25/2008, 07:15 AM   #17
bkelley02
Premium Member

What is everyone using for a heater?

Unread 10/25/2008, 08:36 AM   #18
hppd432
Registered Member

I am using a ViaAqua 100w titanium tube heater. Got it from Dr. Fosters site.

Unread 10/25/2008, 09:11 AM   #19
breeze
Premium Member

I use an azoo 50W titanium heater, however, I dont think it ever actually turns on. My chiller is set to 77 degrees and the tank never gets below that. Not even at night

Unread 10/27/2008, 07:58 AM   #20
jwheeler
Registered Member

Can you guys post some pictures of how you have fans setup to cool this tank? Would like to try fans before I spend so much on a chiller.
Thanks

Unread 10/27/2008, 09:02 AM   #21
hppd432
Registered Member

jwheeler, hey man just get a Azoo fan. I got one with the two fans and is has worked great. It just clips on to back and blows across water in back of tank. I have mine setup to come on when the MH comes on the goes off at same time. It works great and a lot cheaper!

I will add pic when I get home.

Unread 10/27/2008, 09:25 AM   #22
hppd432
Registered Member

jwheeler, here is pic of fan.

Unread 10/27/2008, 11:29 AM   #23
jwheeler
Registered Member

Thanks! There is room there for your skimmer collection cup?

Unread 10/27/2008, 02:08 PM   #24
hppd432
Registered Member

yes there is room :-)

Unread 10/27/2008, 04:04 PM   #25
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

At what temp is the tank normally at when the MH is on? Do you have any heat problems hppd432? I raised my MH about 2.5 inches from the water surface on my tank. If you don't have any heating problems I'm probably going to take the legs off of my light and just turn on the fan when the lights go on. Right now, I hardly ever turn on my fan during the winter and my water temp is 80F-82F.

Closed Thread