Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/17/2008, 11:08 PM   #26
rachenbrazil
Registered Member

feed as much as possible ...
mine keeps begging for food and in this initial period , will offer as much as possible...
I would not treat it for anything else... just feed him well and don't forget to keep water at top condition (water change , clean skimmer and stable pH.. since installed small calcium reactor, fishes like flame angel and asfur become much more colorfull and active)

Good to know that your is improving fast !

Unread 12/17/2008, 11:37 PM   #27
LisaD
That's not a salmon

thanks, that is what I'll do. I'm feeding a lot, so upping the water changes (daily). the fish is not what I'd call ravenous, still kind of picky, but at least she's eating. I won't feel comfortable until she puts on some weight, though. does anyone know how long it takes to fatten up an angel? how long before I should expect to see some improvement?

Current Tank Info: tankless at the moment
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2008, 08:21 AM   #28
agreeive?fish
Registered Member

Lisa,

My scribbled angel went thru a bad period of geting one illness after another and was a swimming skeleton, she was/is a fighter and pulled thru and is now fattening up..it seems to me they are slow at getting fat.. she is the 1st to the dinner table and the last to leave and i feed heavy several times a day and she is fattening up but to me it seems painfully slow it might be my perception and my impatience i dont know but every day i say i wish she was fatter.... I see her every day all day long but due to her work hours my wife only sees her about once a week and comments every time she sees her that she is getting fatter..hope this helps you put it into some perspective

agreeive?fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2008, 08:55 AM   #29
LargeAngels
Premium Member

They fatten up quicker with flakes and pellets, if they'll eat it. Otherwise just up the feedings.

LargeAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2008, 03:30 PM   #30
LisaD
That's not a salmon

Thanks, guys. Mine is picking at flakes, ignores pellets, loves Sally's Angelfish & Butterfly diet, main ingredient, brine shrimp. Hoping she will take Ocean Nutrition Angel formula and/or enriched jumbo Hikari mysis.

I'm offering a little of everything every day, at least 3-4 times a day.

Unread 12/18/2008, 03:40 PM   #31
LargeAngels
Premium Member

Lisa, Do you have the regular Hikary enriched mysis? What ever it eats just keep feeding it. I also feed mine that spirulina enriched Hikari brine shrimp, for the fish that will only eat mysis.

LargeAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2008, 04:14 PM   #32
ccampbell57
Registered Member

I found that PE M.Y.S.I.S to be the best to feed my fish when I want to fatten them up.

They will go through hundreds of them in seconds.

Death, Taxes, and QT'g are the only things I am 100% certain on.

Rarity and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Don't ask "how much $" a fish costs but rather "how much enjoyment" will I receive from this animal.

Current Tank Info: 1000g Reef system
ccampbell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2008, 05:34 PM   #33
LisaD
That's not a salmon

The Sally's cubes, while brine shrimp based, also have a lot of other pretty good meaty and plant-based ingredients. They aren't the best, but since she is eating them, she will be offered them, and other foods, daily.

I usually feed PE mysis to all my fish, especially my seahorses. I agree, it's the best to fatten a fish. Unfortunately, my LFS no longer carries it, but I do have regular and jumbo Hikari mysis.

Unread 12/18/2008, 11:14 PM   #34
jnc914
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by agreeive?fish
Lisa,

My scribbled angel went thru a bad period of geting one illness after another and was a swimming skeleton, she was/is a fighter and pulled thru and is now fattening up..it seems to me they are slow at getting fat.. she is the 1st to the dinner table and the last to leave and i feed heavy several times a day and she is fattening up but to me it seems painfully slow it might be my perception and my impatience i dont know but every day i say i wish she was fatter.... I see her every day all day long but due to her work hours my wife only sees her about once a week and comments every time she sees her that she is getting fatter..hope this helps you put it into some perspective
I know what you mean about Scribbled Angels and trying to fatten them up, if that is even possible. I currently have a 6.5" Male Scribbled Angel and it has been tough getting it to eat. The first week I had it, he refused to eat any of the food I attempted to put in the tank. Right now I am feeding clams on the half shell and he seems to be picking at it consistently. Sorry to Hijack but your post it right on about these fish.

13 years strictly salty

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon FOWLR Angel dedicated tank
jnc914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2008, 08:46 AM   #35
flameangel88
Registered Member

Quote:
<>Originally posted by jnc914
[B]I know what you mean about Scribbled Angels and trying to fatten them up, if that is even possible. I currently have a 6.5" Male Scribbled Angel and it has been tough getting it to eat. The first week I had it, he refused to eat any of the food I attempted to put in the tank. Right now I am feeding clams on the half shell and he seems to be picking at it consistently. Sorry to Hijack but your post it right on about these fish.
It took my 8" Blue Line 7.5 weeks to eat prepared food. I just kept feeding it live clams on the half-shell till it was eat other food.

flameangel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2008, 08:51 AM   #36
scchase
Premium Member

I just picked up a 3" Blue Spot last night seems really outgoing compared to the rest of the genus I have tried so far. Not eating anything yet but wish me luck.

scchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2008, 08:51 AM   #37
DFS
RC Sponsor

Lisa,
I am sorry to read about the problems you are having with your new Chaetodontoplus caeruleopunctatus , and I apologize for the delay in responding to this thread. Once fully established these fish are normally hardy and do very well.

I will say that Angelfish of the genus Chaetodontoplus spp. can be very difficult to start feeding again quickly when they are transferred to different aquariums, and oftentimes appear to suffer more “psychological trauma†than most other marine aquarium fish, suffering from shipping trauma, and even from being captured and transferred into a new setting or environment.

I see this often in our facility with Chaetodontoplus spp.when they first arrive, as it takes much longer for them to settle in and start feeding well. Additionally, it is not uncommon to observe this behavior even when we move these types of fish into a different holding tank on the same system when they are exposed to different fish and a different physical environment. This behavior is most prevalent when Chaetodontoplus spp. are moved to a different system in our facility that has slightly different water chemistry. As you already know when you had the opportunity to visit our facility in Rhinelander Wisconsin, we normally move fish from a dedicated medication/treatment system, to an extended quarantine system, then finally to a system where they are ready to be sold.

It is not uncommon to see this exact same behavior with most members of the genus Chaetodontoplus spp., but is especially common with C. septentrionalis, (we currently have three in stock) C. chrysocephalus (we currently have 3 of these in stock as well, 1- Orange Face and 2- Maze variants), C. conspicillatus (we currently have one small 4-5" and one 7" fish that have both been through this refuse to eat period), as well as C. caeruleopunctatus which all have, at one point or another, stopped feeding for different lengths of time directly after being handled or transferred.

I have found the best thing to do in this situation is to make sure these angelfish are housed with some smaller conspecific species that do not pose a threat to the angel, but will show these fish how to begin feeding on prepared foods that are offered. Fish of the genus Chaetodontoplus spp. are normally shy fish for an Angelfish, especially when people are standing in front of the aquarium where the fish is housed. These fish will normally get accustomed to people after a few weeks. During this time when the Angelfish is skittish, we normally feed the holding tank, and step back to the side to observe their behavior and feeding response, as it is far more common to not see us as a threat, and they will be more inclined to feel comfortable and start searching for food.

The fish that you received was with us for over two months, as it did refuse to eat every single time it was moved. I found that while in our hands, the best scenario was to maintain the fish with passive fish that were bold feeders. Your fish was best housed in a 4 foot long holding tank with 15 tiny Borbonius Anthias, a few tiny Rabbitfish, and a few tiny Cirrhilabrus wrasse. This allowed the Blue Spotted Angel to be the dominant fish in the tank, where there were plenty of active feeders who could show the Angelfish how to start eating the food that was introduced.

Your Blue Spotted Angelfish was eating very well when it left, and I am very confident that in no time it will start to aggressively feed very soon if it has not started to already. The fish was fed a variety of foods while in our care, including Hikari Mysis (which is much smaller than PE Mysis), Hikari Spirulina Sprayed Frozen Brine Shrimp, and well rinsed PE Mysis Shrimp. All of these frozen foods are first prepared by completely thawing, and were soaked in Selcon and Stabilized Vitamin C for 30 minutes every day prior to feeding.

Best of luck with your fish, and as you know, if you have any issues whatsoever down the road with this fish please feel free to contact me directly, and I will replace the fish for you at our expense. I sincerely apologize for the problems you are experiencing, and we appreciate your support.

Sincerely,
Kevin Kohen
Director of LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith

Last edited by DFS; 12/20/2008 at 08:57 AM.
DFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2008, 10:48 AM   #38
LisaD
That's not a salmon

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to write that thoughtful and detailed response. It's very useful to have some history on the fish. The angel is still looking thin, but is eating well in a cycled 29 gallon QT with one other small fish (Plesiops, got it from you). Right now, it is still chowing on Sally's Frozen Angel and Butterfly Diet. I'm offering other foods, but that is its preferred food. It is eating Hikari mysis now, as well.

Do you feel confident it does not have internal parasites? I treated prophylactically with PraziPro. If the angel being on the thin side is just because it has a history of hunger strikes, I won't worry about any further treatment. Fins and body look perfect, no sign of external parasites or disease.

If the angel can make it over the next few weeks, I'm confident it will be fine, long term. I do understand that it can be challenging to acclimate Chaetodontoplus angels to captivity. I'd only attempt this fish mailorder from Diver's Den because I have seen that you have an extensive fish health program, the best in the industry, greatly increasing the chances of survival of delicate fish.

This angel is psychologically very solid. It has no problem dealing with other fish, and isn't shy at all around people or fish. You did a great job of conditioning it to captivity.

I could move the angel to a 4 foot tank (my 55) with fairly passive fish (seahorses, marine betta - from DD, reticulate boxfish - also one of yours, and a wolf eel - unusually passive for the species). Would you recommend I do this, or just add it back to the DT? The 210 DT has a lot of rock cover, and I feed often. The only fish that might bother it is the emperor angel, but he is leaving the blueface angel - another DD purchase - alone.

The only issue I had with any DD order for a long time, besides feeling that the angel was on the thin side, was a squamosa clam that came in bad shape and almost immediately died after acclimation. I've already called in about that one. I also lost the beautiful Cuban hog from a previous order - no fault of F&S - it jumped out of the tank, through a 2" gap. That may sound like a lot of problems, but given the volume of business I do with LA, it's really nothing.

Reading over this post, I realized how many of my fish come from LA Diver's Den (went back and marked them as such). I have other fish from other sources, but over the last few years, the majority of my purchases have been made either from liveaquaria, or from one small LFS that keeps fish for a long time before sale. As I've often said, I'm very happy with your quality and service, and will continue to do business with your company.

Thanks again for the personal response.

Lisa

Last edited by LisaD; 12/20/2008 at 11:01 AM.
Unread 12/20/2008, 06:34 PM   #39
agreeive?fish
Registered Member

Kevins post is exactly why i buy from Live aquaria.. even though this is not my fish I thank kevin for posting the detailed information as it goes to show how much attention is actually paid to the fish in care of the divers den fish.. i have always had good luck with divers den fish as i have never had a doa and every fish i have bought from divers den is still thriving in my tanks and i just ordered a few fish from the "standard" stock today for the 1st time...

Lisa iam hopping all goes well for you and your blue spooted angel.. sorry to hear about the cuban hogfish

agreeive?fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2008, 08:11 PM   #40
DFS
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Lisa wrote: Do you feel confident it does not have internal parasites? I treated prophylactically with PraziPro. If the angel being on the thin side is just because it has a history of hunger strikes, I won't worry about any further treatment. Fins and body look perfect, no sign of external parasites or disease.
Lisa,
I want to apologize again for the problems with last order, and we appreciate your continued support. Your Blue Spotted Angelfish upon arrival was first housed in a medicated in a system and treated with API's General Cure (250 mg Metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquantel). During this time the fish was fed Spirulina Brine Shrimp and Hikari Mysis that was also soaked in General cure.

When the fish was transferred to our larger quarantine system, the angel was give a freshwater bath which was pH and temperature adjusted. I am confident that this fish does not have internal parasites.

As long as the water conditions are stable, and you’re performing frequent water changes, I would leave the Blue Spotted Angelfish in QT if the fish is still feeding more and more each day. Feeding the fish very small quantities of food very frequently (up to 6 times per day) is ideal if you can.

Once the fish has been through QT, I would add the Angelfish to your large display and make sure you have the appropriate amount of time set aside to observe the fish and see how the Imperator and Blue Face react to the new addition. Mixing different Genera of Angelfish is normally not too big of an issue in such a large display, as long as the new addition is conditioned well prior to its introduction. It is still very important to keep a close eye on things after the new fish is introduced into the main display.

Please keep us updated on the progress and best of luck.

Regards,
Kevin Kohen
Director of LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith

Last edited by DFS; 12/20/2008 at 08:23 PM.
DFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2008, 08:03 AM   #41
rachenbrazil
Registered Member

any updates and pics ?

Unread 12/23/2008, 09:34 AM   #42
michael_cb_125
Registered Member

Just a little info.
When I first got my Regal Angel she was not skin and bones, but was not fat either.
I feed several times per day, using the following foods:
Hikari Mega-Marine Aglae
Hikari Mega-Marine Angel
Hikari Mega-Marine
Hikari Mysis
Chopped Clam
Homemade Mash (Tuna, Salmon, Scallop, Oyster, Clam, Prawns, Grouper)
Chopped Squid
Frozen Spirulina Gel Diet

My fish eat a different food at each feeding. And I typically feed 5 times per day. It took about a month for my Regal to really fatten up, but I have had great results with this feeding regimen.
All of my fish gain weight very quickly with this diet. It is something that you may want to consider
~Michael

The more I learn, the less I know.

Current Tank Info: Elos Mini and 120
michael_cb_125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2008, 10:32 AM   #43
LisaD
That's not a salmon

Michael, thanks for the information, will pick up this food. I already have Hikari mysis, chopped clam and oyster, scallops, shrimp, several types of Ocean Nutrition gel cubes, including angel and herbivore.

Unfortunately, I can't feed throughout the day. I feed in the morning, when I get home, then later in the evening, most days. What do you think of an automatic feeder for mid-day? I can pick one up today. Most of my fish will take flake (not the BSA at this time). There is a lot of competition for food, so I want to be sure the BSA will get enough by feeding the other pigs to satiety.

Rachenbrazil, the angel is doing well. Sorry, no pics yet. I put it back in the DT today. Timing is really bad, as I am going out of town tomorrow until 12/30. I have a good pet-sitter, and she will feed twice a day - Hikari, Sally's angel/butterfly cubes, flakes, algae, whatever I ask. I put food in daily packets for different tanks with detailed instructions on feeding. I have asked her to watch for aggression and to make sure especially that the blue spotted angel is eating. I'm going to touch base with her daily.

The angel is doing well in the DT and ate well this morning in the QT before being transferred, then again after being added to the DT. I acclimated an hour, even though the water in the two tanks should be about the same. When I left, it was picking at the rock and food on the sand. The emperor and blueface did a little chasing, but the BSA stood up to them pretty well, and found some good swimming spots among the rock. I'll update again after I get home tonight.

I HATE leaving my fish, don't have any choice about it. I knew this would be an issue when I bought the angel, but when I saw this fish on DD, I had to jump on it. Keep fingers crossed for me over the next week or so.

Unread 12/23/2008, 10:37 AM   #44
michael_cb_125
Registered Member

Hopefully everything will go well!!
I think that the feeder is a good idea. Even if she will not currently eat flake food, maybe seeing the others pig out will entice her
Good luck, and I would love to see a few Pictures
~Michael

Unread 12/23/2008, 11:20 AM   #45
LisaD
That's not a salmon

Thanks, Michael!

I've had the fish for 11 days, and it's doing better than when I got it. Hopefully, it will not be harassed and will eat enough when I am not around.

I will check Petsmart here locally, someone told me they got an Eheim feeder at Petsmart. I'd prefer to order online, but since I'll be out of town, I think it would be good to have in place.

Once I get back in town, assuming the fish is doing fine, I will make the effort to take and post some pictures.

Last edited by LisaD; 12/23/2008 at 11:42 AM.
Unread 12/23/2008, 03:28 PM   #46
LisaD
That's not a salmon

update:

The blue spotted angel is eating great. Not really intimidated by the emp - just casually ducks into the rocks when he gets chased, thn pops right back out. It's even been tail fanning the Brazilian dragon moray. I love this angel's attitude. It's all over the tank, alert, curious. It picks at the rock and sand, doesn't seem at all intimidated.

The blueface is a little more of a lurker, not completely comfortable yet. the emp patrols the tank, front and center. He owns the real estate, tolerates all others.

So far, so good with this mix. Just hope everything stays good when I'm out of town.

Unread 12/23/2008, 03:36 PM   #47
michael_cb_125
Registered Member

Great News~!!
~Michael

Unread 12/23/2008, 04:23 PM   #48
NuTom
Registered Member

LisaD

Any Pictures of the Blueface and Bluespot?

I just bought a 2.5" Blueface Angel. He's currently in QT and will be in there for 2 months. I already have a Koran Angel and I'm kinda scare to put the Blueface with him. Would love to see all your angels together.

NuTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2008, 06:58 PM   #49
scchase
Premium Member

Got a picture of my bluespot today not a very good one but its out and about and eating well at this point. Hard to get the blue spots to show up especailly since its still camaera shy

scchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 02:12 PM   #50
NuTom
Registered Member

scchase

Nice fish. How long have you the angels together for? Any aggression?

NuTom is offline   Reply With Quote