Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/16/2008, 07:11 PM   #1
aaron1987
Registered Member

Talking BC29 to 47G Column Upgrade!

Figured I'd make a build thread for this since I never had one for my biocube... Saw a 47gal column as a display tank in a semi-LFS and fell in love with the idea. It was just wishful thinking until my roommate told me he wanted to start a 29gal Biocube up. What better excuse to upgrade?!

Water test: No leaks, thank God! I was terrified of having one since I picked the tank up 2 hours from home and it's a discontinued model. Here it is in all its non-leaking glory in the room I'll be in for 2 more days!

And here's the FTS of my BC29 I'll be tearing down tomorrow:

My 250w Outer Orbit with 4 24w T5's should be shipping out some time this week, two K3's are on their way as well as a Aqua C Remora with MJ1200 . The build is sump-less and fuge-less with the Remora and a Fluval 404 canister running carbon and phosban for phosphate export.

aaron1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Ratpack
Registered Member

I have that same tank running right now, same stand and everything. Can't wait to see how yours turns out. Mine is coming down and moving into a 75g in the next month or so.

Ratpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2008, 09:30 PM   #3
goodtimes
Nothin but

I also have the same tank and stand, but mine is the 37 gallon. I like the look because its different but its hard to work with. The depth that is. Good Luck, I look forward to seeing how you aquascape.

goodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2008, 09:33 PM   #4
goodtimes
Nothin but

Your BC looks great. Its funny, we not only have the same tank, but the same fish also.

goodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2008, 09:55 PM   #5
aaron1987
Registered Member

Well as long as we don't have the same coral too... Then I'd start to wonder There's also a sixline that's not pictured. The column is going to be wrasse heavy in its stocking, I hope to try a leopard after I get a sizable pod population going. Waiting on an order from Marco rocks before I'll be able to finish up my aquascape... I'm going to be doing something stylistically similar to Crazy4acros and Mattnano.

I have to break the tank down and move it 2-3x a year, I figure 47gal is about the most I could possibly do with that in mind, God bless living in a fraternity. This also means I'll have to be able to easily disassemble and reassemble the aquascape.

The maintenance doesn't have me too worried, I'm tall and don't mind soaking my arms -- made sure I could reach the bottom

Old 12/16/2008, 11:55 PM   #6
THolleyH46
Registered Member

Looks good, but deeper tank = need for brighter lights in a reef!

"No, I didn't spill any water on the floor near any electrical cords!"

Current Tank Info: 120 Tall reef tank
THolleyH46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2008, 02:30 AM   #7
Chihuahua6
Premium Member

I had the same tank and stand running for about two years. I made a rock column by attaching a piece of pvc pipe to a plastic cutting board base. I drilled holes all around the pvc and attached the rock to it with zip ties. I still have the column but it's now in my 280.

Here's a pic of the column. I have since added more rock to it and you can't see the pvc at all.

Current Tank Info: First salt tank 1985, current tank 150 g acrylic
Chihuahua6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2008, 10:47 AM   #8
aaron1987
Registered Member

THolleyH46 - I'm relatively certain the outer orbit will be sufficient for my purposes. I thought about going with a 400w but in reality, I don't think I'll be growing any SPS at the bottom of the tank so it should be just fine for a mixed reef application. Since the tank's dimensions are so small in terms of length and width, the halide will fill it well.

Chihuahua6 - a column of some sorts is exactly what I'll be doing; always cool to see another way of constructing one!

Old 12/17/2008, 11:36 AM   #9
Chihuahua6
Premium Member

Good choice on the light. The light is focused and reflected down in the narrow confines of the tank. 400 watts would be extreme overkill and wasteful.

I had a 250 watt halide 10000k with two pc actinics and man was it bright. I could have gone with a much higher kelvin rating and been fine with the softies I was growing or I could have grown high light sps if I wanted to.

The only challenge with the column is to make it wider at the bottom and gradually narrow it as you go up. Otherwise the lower areas will be shaded and make coral placement difficult. That's why I like attaching with the zip ties. It's easier to get the shape you want than if you drilled the rocks and stacked them.
Another bonus is if you need to remove a rock for any reason (pests, fragging, etc.)

Current Tank Info: First salt tank 1985, current tank 150 g acrylic
Chihuahua6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2009, 07:20 PM   #10
aaron1987
Registered Member

It's been awhile since I last updated and now that I've been back from my semester break for a few weeks I figured it's about time for one!

My rock from Marcorocks took significantly longer to arrive than I had expected, but when it did arrive I was pleased with the results! Nice, big chunks of Fiji with shelf-like tops, perfect for the type of aquascaping I've got planned! The rock has required a slight change in plans, due to how finger-like and porous it is, I will be opting for a stairs-like effect with epoxy, zipties and some acrylic rod to support the base pieces because I can't see the rocks not shattering if I tried to drill them. Here it is, tossed into the tank to cure:

Also got my 250w Outer Orbit fixture in, I'm exceedingly pleased with it but will be replacing the 10k bulb with a 14k Phoenix so I get a bluer spectrum near the bottom of the tank.

Also had an unfortunate mishap when the canister filter I was using sprung a leak and caused some damage to the base of the stand as the wet particle board cracked a bit at the base under the tank's weight. I'm hoping it isn't enough to cause failure in the stand but have marked the top of the crack anyway to monitor whether it's spreading any higher or not.

Cycle is progressing far more quickly than I expected, 0 ammonia, .5ppm nitrite and 40ppm nitrate as of last night -- just over a week after putting the rock in to cure!

Last edited by aaron1987; 01/26/2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04/29/2009, 05:17 PM   #11
aaron1987
Registered Member

Not that anyone is actively following this thread but I figured it was about time I posted an update anyway. The tank is chugging along nicely and the stand damage hasn't spread or caused it to give way, thank god .

I'm now running a 14k Phoenix bulb with 2x Blue+ and 2x KZ Fiji purple T5's which have really increased the coloration of the coral.

I've picked up a substantial amount of SPS from Double_J, a past TOTM winner and it's all doing fantastically! Anyway, on with the pictures:

FTS

LPS zone

SPS - not pictured is a 1.5" purple monster frag that has since been added

Monti row

I'll be breaking the tank down and moving it 3 hours for an internship this summer and am not looking forward to it at all. My plan is to pick up some large plastic tubs and leave as many of the encrusting monti's attached the the rocks as I can and match water conditions when adding them back. The rest of the coral will be in a large shallow bin with gutter guard segregating them so I don't have issue with them stinging eachother. The worst part will be getting the rockwork back in a similar fashion to how it is now. I ended up attaching it with nothing but epoxy previously. Wish me luck, it's sure to be a looong day.

Last edited by aaron1987; 04/29/2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04/29/2009, 06:39 PM   #12
kingsland
Registered Member

Very nice looking tank!

Current Tank Info: 220 in wall, 60 frag and 75, Reeflo 250, Vortech 4x, 100 gal sump, MRC CR2
kingsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2009, 08:42 PM   #13
GLino
Registered Member

Fantastic tank you dont see very many tall tanks like that

GLino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2009, 08:52 PM   #14
aaron1987
Registered Member

That's the truth. I fell in love with how different it was from most and what that would allow me to do for aquascaping. What I didn't appropriately appreciate was how much of a PITA getting good flow throughout the tank would be. 3 days ago I got an MP20 to replace the Koralias and have it running on 100% in reefcrest mode. To be completely honest it's not as much flow as I was expecting, but I'm noticing excellent PE with it in both the SPS and LPS so thus far I'm happy. I might upgrade it to an MP40 for a bit more flow but we'll see -- the checkbook is still hurting from it.

I'm also thinking about whether to upgrade the skimmer from the Remora Pro with MJ1200 I'm running currently. I'm looking at the Octopus 800 s or the Warner Marine H2/HX2 primarily. I've thought about Deltec MCE600's since I can find them used for the price of the WM HX2 but the proprietary parts worry me in terms of long term upkeep cost. I've also struggled to find a decent number of objective reviews on the H2 so I'm not entirely sure how to proceed. Any thoughts?

Old 05/02/2009, 10:54 PM   #15
angelo99
Registered Member

Great Tank!
Awesome aquascaping job, I definitely like the vertical length and shape. Any reasons for the upgrade bug on skimmer? I didn't see any algae problems in pics. definitely tagging along

angelo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2009, 10:58 PM   #16
aaron1987
Registered Member

I run GFO so the algae has never really been a problem. Things are going fine but the Remora I'm running currently isn't pulling a ton of skimmate. My stocking is fairly light but I feel like a more powerful and efficient skimmer might be able to eek a bit more growth and coloration out of my SPS.

Old 05/02/2009, 11:01 PM   #17
SlukBunWalla
Registered Member

Great job with what can be a very awkward tank to scape! I set one of those exact tanks up at the store I work in as a display. It took a lot of time to get an aquascape that was visually appealing, but also allowed light to get to the bottom. You've done a fantastic job with both. Your creativity payed off. Well done.

**The display I did is at the Petland in Iowa City, come check us out of you're ever in this neck of the woods. I'm actually from Ankeny, just south of you, originally.

Click the red house for my 65 Gallon Build Thread

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump/refugium, 2x250 halides, and a craaaaapy skimmer...and a 20H BTA/black occelaris tank with 4x24 T5HO...and a 15 gallon FOWLR with green spotted puffer.
SlukBunWalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2009, 11:09 PM   #18
aaron1987
Registered Member

Your 47 column was actually the tank that gave me the idea for this one. I picked it up from your store

The rocks I ended up with from Marco made the aquascape possible. I had intended to do columns originally, it was like the rocks were made for the current aquascape. I just hope I can duplicate it when I move it in a week.

Old 05/03/2009, 12:30 PM   #19
SlukBunWalla
Registered Member

OH wow! Well that's a compliment. That tank has given us fits for a while so I've continued tweaking it and it's finally starting to come along nicely.

Good luck with the move!!

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump/refugium, 2x250 halides, and a craaaaapy skimmer...and a 20H BTA/black occelaris tank with 4x24 T5HO...and a 15 gallon FOWLR with green spotted puffer.
Old 05/03/2009, 01:04 PM   #20
vetdog
Space cadet

tank looks awesome. Its really come a long way.

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon DD reef tank, RedSea MaxE260
vetdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2009, 01:40 PM   #21
SlukBunWalla
Registered Member

How 'bout an update??? I can't wait to see what that tank has grown into!

Old 06/24/2009, 03:19 PM   #22
aaron1987
Registered Member

I was just thinking about doing one earlier today. The move went off without a hitch; didn't lose a single piece other than a couple accidental fraggings. I haven't gotten the chance to pay as much attention to it as I would like in terms of feeding or water changes to growth hasn't been as rapid as before. Such is the disadvantage of working constantly . I'll make an effort to snap some pictures and give a fuller update in the next couple days.

One fun thing that happened was my Pocillopora spawning. I now have little green poci's sprouting up everywhere in my tank. It's going to become an issue when they get larger. Why couldn't something a bit more valuable have decided to take over?!

I think JJ had his Poci spawn as well and since mine came from him, perhaps it's just prone to doing it. I'm sure his conditions were far more conducive to causing this sort of thing than mine.

Does Petland have anything exciting in? I was thinking about making a trip up that way to hit up you guys and Hung's now that I'm only 30 min away instead of 2 hours.

Old 06/24/2009, 07:08 PM   #23
tipmoff
Registered Member

I'm tagging along on this thread. I just happen to run into it tonight while roaming around. I too have the same exact set up and love what you did with it. I have to admit it is a pain to to anything past the 20" mark but for where I needed to put it it works. Other than the skimmer and phos reactor what are you doing for other filtration if anything?

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Mixed Reef
tipmoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2009, 08:19 PM   #24
aaron1987
Registered Member

I'm just running the skimmer and the BRS media reactor that I run GFO and carbon in. I'll be upgrading the skimmer to a Deltec MCE-600 or Warner Marine HX2 within the month. So far I haven't had any issues with the filtration whatsoever.

Old 08/30/2009, 06:03 PM   #25
aaron1987
Registered Member

I've finally gotten settled in back on campus and it's time for a long overdue update. This time, pictures will be courtesy of my new toy: a Nikon D-40! Bear with me as I get the hang of the camera; hopefully this also means I'll be able to update more often now that I don't have to borrow a camera.

First, my two new fish additions:

Getting an in-focus picture of the wrasse when it's display is a challenge to say the least.

And a couple quick pics I snapped of a few corals. I'll upload some FTS later tonight.

I'm trying to nurse back the blasto in the pic, saved it from a LFS about a week ago. I'm not holding my breath.