Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/23/2008, 08:05 PM   #1
dmorel
Can I borrow your towel

Big Old Reef or Super Sweet Nano?

So I find myself enjoying being back in the hobby.
My 58 is doing great, my corals are growing out and I'm pretty much leaving well enough alone with that tank. Sooner or later I'll get a better skimmer for it, but really it's doing well.

I've been thinking about either setting up a really big tank in my family room (which would probably mean the 58 in my bedroom comes down) or setting up a super sweet nano at the office.

I've been looking at AIO's from nano customs, some of the cool zero edge things, or even just doing my own thing with a crazy pico.

Or I could do a 200-300 gallon tank at home and get a tang back in my life...

I can't really decide which way to go, if any at all.
If you had the option between the big old tank or the sweet nano at work, which way would you go, and why?

Current Tank Info: round and shallow japanese spot light absurdity
dmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2008, 08:23 PM   #2
kirstenk
23.5 Degrees

Big Reef at home.

That way when people come over ya don't have to haul them back to your bedroom.

At work ya need to work. The reef will distract you and besides, something could go wrong over the weekends or the cleaning crew, employees that hate you.............etc.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

Reefer stabs Reefer in back over quarrel.

Current Tank Info: 150g, 58g
kirstenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2008, 08:29 PM   #3
dmorel
Can I borrow your towel

Didn't even consider that maybe I like bringing people back to my bedroom did ya?

Unread 12/23/2008, 09:34 PM   #4
chetm2
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dmorel
Didn't even consider that maybe I like bringing people back to my bedroom did ya?
Lol! I personally love the big tanks but with electricity going up and up I'm sticking with the nano. Seems easier to manage even though it needs more watching.

I do "ahem" happen to have a big tank for sale.

chetm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2008, 10:00 PM   #5
vanmle
Moved On

Get a big tank and then you can do whatever you want.

vanmle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2008, 10:11 PM   #6
ReefAA
Moved On

DM,

Funny Ive been thinking the same thing. Ive looked into both avenues, going larger than what I have now. As KirstenK said, a big reef at home is awesome and I do love mine. However, after having large reefs for several years, Ive lately been wanting a totally customized "semi-nano" that is turning out to be around 37 gallons. If I were you, I wouldnt do it at work though, for reasons already stated. Like you, my dilemmna is wanting to keep my Tangs.

I still dont know what Im gunna do

ReefAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2008, 10:45 PM   #7
Garage1217
GET OFF MY LAWN

I have owned a sweet nano, no thanks. I actually find upkeep was much harder with the nano for the corals I kept. Water perams had to be monitored daily as it was an alk and calcium black hole. & just overall it was so much more work it seemed.

Once I went to my larger setup "about 100G of total water volume" life has been oh so sweet. Do not think I will ever go nano again, or at least nothing smaller than a 50G setup. I am enjoying things so much with my current setup, I plan a 240 - 300 in the next house.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? ~ Albert Einstein

I'm just as bent as ever. Hellishly so ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

Current Tank Info: Systems and goodies by Lee-Mar / Coralvue / Neptune Systems / Jager / Spectrapure / Cree / Meanwell + more!
Garage1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2008, 10:58 PM   #8
dmorel
Can I borrow your towel

Well my wife has chimed in, guess I should have started with her... You will all be happy to know that she votes big tank too.

We have a perfect room for a big tank, not currently being used for anything, shares a wall with a pseudo garage which will hence forth be known as the fish (and bicycle storage) room.

Well I guess it's time to start a new thread about what giant tank to get.
Chet, compelling, very compelling.... There is also that waterfall tank that was on here a few times.... decisions decisions

Unread 12/23/2008, 11:47 PM   #9
vanmle
Moved On

Well, glad you got her approval.

She is going to have to approve the budget for a big tank, both in the start-up and maintenance. Good luck.

8'x3'x2' would be fantastic IMO. That would be my ideal size.

Unread 12/23/2008, 11:59 PM   #10
dmorel
Can I borrow your towel

Approval of the aesthetics is the only thing I have to worry about with her. What's going to be tricky is I don't want just a big tank. I want something with a little something... That's why Chet's cube is so interesting, or that awesome tank Ryan was selling.... Hmm, I have a PM to send...

Unread 12/24/2008, 10:10 AM   #11
vanmle
Moved On

I always thought what was on the inside of the tank makes the tank special more than the outside although that certainly helps a lot?

What awesome tank was Ryan selling in the 300+ gallon range? Are you talking about the waterfall? That would definitely be unique.

It's a good thing that your wife approves of all the expenses. In this economy, I make sure that my wife approves of the larger expenditures. Don't want to be in the dog house.

Unread 12/24/2008, 10:55 AM   #12
Che
Registered Member

I say you should have the best of both worlds. Build a big giant 300+ aquarium, but aquascape tiny islands of live rock dedicated to one coral on each island. This way you have many picos/nanos in one big giant tank.

Che

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. - Lloyd Dobler

Current Tank Info: Young 125g with 30g sump mixed reef - gieseman 3X250 MH + 156W T5 lighting, 160lbs. pukani live rock, 1-3" ssb, closed loop with OM 2way Squirt, 1/4 HP Arctica Chiller, kalk reactor, 2- Tunze 6100 stream with Multicontroller, Neptune AC III.
Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 11:52 AM   #13
usefulidiot213
Bryan H.

GO BIG... It's the American way..

Current Tank Info: 120 AGA- 4x2x2 Mixed Reef. 2 MP40s, Vertex IN-180 Skimmer, RKL Controller for temp control and light timing. 8x 54 Watt T5 lighting.
usefulidiot213 is offline   Reply With Quote