Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/19/2009, 11:13 PM   #1
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...0#post14437800

Unread 02/19/2009, 11:13 PM   #2
anin
Registered Member

So grim, i'm looking at from reefgeek
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_...Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap

you said before when i asked to get these bulbs
Front ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

I am guessing the 2 middle bulbs would be overdriven?

Unread 02/20/2009, 12:04 AM   #3
rldavisou
Moved On

Grats on another split, and thanks so much for your help, Grimm!

My question is this:

I'm replacing all six bulbs in my Solar Flare, which I bought with used bulbs about 3 months ago. What would you recommend to supercharge the growth on my SPS? I have lots of cool frags, but nothing's ever grown very well, I think in part because of my lights. I have heard that the pink bulbs will encourage lots of growth, is that true?

Also, where's the best place to buy bulbs? I would like a reliable shipper; I'm a student on a budget, so if the bulbs get busted in shipping, it'll be a loooonng time before I can get the dough to reorder.

Unread 02/20/2009, 12:29 AM   #4
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally posted by rldavisou

My question is this:

I'm replacing all six bulbs in my Solar Flare, which I bought with used bulbs about 3 months ago. What would you recommend to supercharge the growth on my SPS? I have lots of cool frags, but nothing's ever grown very well, I think in part because of my lights. I have heard that the pink bulbs will encourage lots of growth, is that true?

Also, where's the best place to buy bulbs? I would like a reliable shipper; I'm a student on a budget, so if the bulbs get busted in shipping, it'll be a loooonng time before I can get the dough to reorder.

Get them all from reefgeek.com. If you can get others to order with you it is free shipping.

ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
Unread 02/20/2009, 12:30 AM   #5
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally posted by anin

Front ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

Neither link works

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
Unread 02/20/2009, 06:22 AM   #6
daveonbass
Registered Member

Ok so I finally HAVE my ATI 36" 6 bulb Powermodule...and WOW...this is one NIIIIICE piece of hardware...worth every penny. The ATI guys know what they are doing. I ended up getting 4 Blue plus, 1 fiji purple, and 1 Aquablue.

I don't even have the tank up yet...but I did this:

Front
blue+
fiji purple
blue+
blue+
aquablue
blue+

I know it's all about my personal taste. and I like that all the blue+'s are on one plug and the other two are on the other plug...(dawn/dusk setting), but is there a better combination for that.
(read: better order) Already the fish colors pop, I can't wait to get it over the proper tank and stock it with corals. I'll post pics ASAP...but if there is a better order to place them in then I'm open to ideas...also I can't wait to give reefgeek more business and get different color bulbs and play around with it...I'll bug you guys about that later once the tank is up and running (hopefully this month)

thanks for all the help so far. This light is a beast, a sexy beast.

Current Tank Info: 58g reef, 60 total gallons including rocks and sand, 36" 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, DAS skimmer, Bio pellets, 2 MP10 vortechs
Unread 02/20/2009, 08:45 AM   #7
dahc1979
Registered Member

I am currently running 130 watts of pc's on my 35 gallon mixed tank with some softies and a few lps. I am in the process of buying equipment for a new 55 gallon tank I bought and want to put t-5 lights on the new tank. What light fixture would you recomend I go with. I would like to try some sort of sps in the future too. Thanks

Unread 02/20/2009, 09:39 AM   #8
harleyreefer
Registered Member

Ok, here is a question I havent really seen asked yet, though I must admit that I havent read the entire thread... But here goes nothing... I hope it dosent sound too stupid..

I have a 84 inch tank. I was considering getting a pair of 36x10 ATI fixtures to cover it with. That only comes out to 72 inches though. Even though I am sure that this would provide the light needed for pretty much whatever I want to keep (tank is 24 deep), I had the idea that a 36 inch fixture and a 48 inch fixture would cover the whole thing. 2 48 inchers would hang over by about 6 inces on each side... cant have that. The 2 36 inchers would lack coverage for about six inches on each side. Not sure how it would look also.
One question is, because the lights are different watts (39 watts vs 54 watts), would the difference be noticable to the eye, or would the longer leingth of the 48's account for the higher wattage. Would I see a difference, and would the corrals know the difference?
.... To be honest, I am not even sure what it would look like to have 2 different sized fixtures on the top of the tank, it might just look goofy. Then again, it might look ok too. The pair of 36's would give the tank a more symetric look, but I am also loking at light output.

It was just a thought. I guess that 36x2 at 10 lights each would put out enough light, especially if i centered them, but I thought I would ask about the light output differences anyway. Was thinking that with 54 watts spread out over 48 inches, just might be like 39 watts spread over 38 inches...

Just asking.... thanks

72" constalation t5 fixture
reefkeeper Elite, PC4x3,MLCx2(12 moon leds),SL1,Net

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon w/110 sump

Last edited by harleyreefer; 02/20/2009 at 09:44 AM.
Unread 02/20/2009, 12:42 PM   #9
Todd March
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyreefer
Ok, here is a question I havent really seen asked yet, though I must admit that I havent read the entire thread... But here goes nothing... I hope it dosent sound too stupid..

I have a 84 inch tank. I was considering getting a pair of 36x10 ATI fixtures to cover it with. That only comes out to 72 inches though. Even though I am sure that this would provide the light needed for pretty much whatever I want to keep (tank is 24 deep), I had the idea that a 36 inch fixture and a 48 inch fixture would cover the whole thing. 2 48 inchers would hang over by about 6 inces on each side... cant have that. The 2 36 inchers would lack coverage for about six inches on each side. Not sure how it would look also.
One question is, because the lights are different watts (39 watts vs 54 watts), would the difference be noticable to the eye, or would the longer leingth of the 48's account for the higher wattage. Would I see a difference, and would the corrals know the difference?
.... To be honest, I am not even sure what it would look like to have 2 different sized fixtures on the top of the tank, it might just look goofy. Then again, it might look ok too. The pair of 36's would give the tank a more symetric look, but I am also loking at light output.

It was just a thought. I guess that 36x2 at 10 lights each would put out enough light, especially if i centered them, but I thought I would ask about the light output differences anyway. Was thinking that with 54 watts spread out over 48 inches, just might be like 39 watts spread over 38 inches...

Just asking.... thanks
Yes, the longer length accounts for the higher wattage. Two odd sized fixtures would look fine to the eye...

However, unless you plan on keeping SPS corals right up the edge of your tank (which I am doing almost), after living with a Powermodule and T5's, I think a little less light on the ends of a tank, ideal for LPS and zoas/palys, is a great idea. It will allow you more bio-diversity of corals.

I have a Ponape Birdsnest SPS coral, which likes lower light for the best two tone green/purple coloration, and even partially shaded by a rock on the end of the tank, and ON THE SANDBED, it's still not coloring up after 5 months (though it grows well), and only has hints of green on its body and hints of purple on its tips. There is just too much light for it in my tank (and it came from a colorful colony in a tank lit by a 6 bulb TEK T5 fixture no less!) And I have palys that are doing fine under rocks in the shade; palys on the sandbed directly under a Blue+ bulb (followed by an Aquablue Special) won't fully extend...

I would do 2 x 36" on a 84", no doubt... Are you thinking of the 8 bulb models...?

Current Tank Info: Rimless Starfire 85g SPS (36" x 26" x 21"): ATI Powermodule 10 x 39W, ATB Small Cone, RK2, Vortech MP40W, 6025 Stream modded, MAG 9.5 return, Balling
Unread 02/20/2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Glennw
Registered Member

Does anybody know if Reefgeek ships to Winninpeg? If not does anybody know which fish/supplies stores sell and ship to Winnipeg besides J&L Aquatics?
Thanks

Unread 02/20/2009, 01:23 PM   #11
mikenjo
Registered Member

hi grim
what would you suggest for a 90 gallon with soft coral only
i have two lighting systems a retro 4 bulb or as 6 bulb extreme pro not sure which one i will use
what bulb configuration would you suggest for each fixture over a 90
to make the colors pop in the tank
thanks in advance

Unread 02/20/2009, 03:14 PM   #12
seanmc980
Registered Member

Hey Grim and anyone else who can help.

I am ordering a Retro setup from Reefgeek for a 72G BF. Its gonna be 5X54W with two Ballasts. One is going to be an Icecap 430 firing 3 bulbs and an advance ballast for the other 2 bulbs.
I am looking for alot of blue pop but need to be able to support SPS and softies! My questions are:

What 5 bulbs would you go with and how would you arrange them?

Also which 3 bulbs would you overdrive with the IC430?

Thanks for your help and the amount of time you have spent helping fellow reeferz!

Unread 02/20/2009, 03:24 PM   #13
JOESWOODWORKS
Registered Member

HI Grim ,

I ordered these bulbs from the ReefGeek, ATI blue plus, UVL 75/25, ATI Aqua sun and ATI Blue plus. What will be the over all color be? Also what is the difference between ATI Aquablue and ATI Aqua sun ?

Unread 02/20/2009, 03:41 PM   #14
johnfaas
Registered Member

t5

t5

I have SPS's on top and yumas,rics,shrooms and zoos lower .in a 120 with a tec 8 bulb setup.

First what light does coralline like ?

Also what bulb combo for some growth with lots of color.

Any of : ?

Front
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Actinic Blue
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Actinic blue
ATI Blue Plus

Front
Giesemann: PowerChrome Actinic Plus
Giesemann: PowerChrome Pure Actinic
ATI Procolor
UV Lighting Aquasun
Giesemann: PowerChrome Aqua Blue +

Current Tanks: 120 Gal, Tek T5 48" X 8 ,40 Gal sump,ASM G2, Mag 18
Interests: reef,21000 gal kio pond's and stream

Unread 02/20/2009, 03:46 PM   #15
jerome736
Registered Member

Hi Grim,

I'm running a setup that you suggested to me a while back and I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm looking for a little more "pop" in the coloration of corals. I also plan on overdriving my bulbs by switching over to IC ballasts.

I currently have:

(Front)
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Blueplus
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blueplus
UVL Aquablue
ATI Blueplus

Any suggestions in terms of bulb change/bulb placement? Thanks!

Unread 02/20/2009, 04:33 PM   #16
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally posted by jerome736
Hi Grim,

I'm running a setup that you suggested to me a while back and I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm looking for a little more "pop" in the coloration of corals. I also plan on overdriving my bulbs by switching over to IC ballasts.

I currently have:

(Front)
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Blueplus
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blueplus
UVL Aquablue
ATI Blueplus

Any suggestions in terms of bulb change/bulb placement? Thanks!

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun or GE 6500K
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

Unread 02/20/2009, 04:53 PM   #17
harleyreefer
Registered Member

Todd.

.... I was actually thinking of the ten bulb setup. Compaired to the expence of the AYI fixture, theprice of the 10 bulb setup is minimal vs the 8 bulb setup, so i figgured that I might as well get the extra 2 bulbs (4 bulbs with the both of them. The extra bulbs was one of the factore in deciding to go with 2x36" fixtures, instead of getting the 14 bulb, 72" constilation. I also like the lok of the ATI fixtures as well, but mainly, I hear the ATI is a higher quality fixture. i hope it is, since the ATI 36x10 bulb fixture is about the same price as a 72"x14 bulb constilation fixture. The 8 bulb ATI was not much less than the 10 bulb.

72" constalation t5 fixture
reefkeeper Elite, PC4x3,MLCx2(12 moon leds),SL1,Net

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon w/110 sump
Unread 02/20/2009, 09:42 PM   #18
Todd March
Premium Member

Harley, you are going for an SPS focus, correct? The ten bulb PM will fit over 24", but you are talking a lot of light...! My tank is 26", and my tank is lit front to back... If you want to keep zoas or a lot of LPS, I would plan on plenty of shaded areas, even caves... My best growing and happiest palys are in caves and get most of their light as reflection off of the sandbed...

Current Tank Info: Rimless Starfire 85g SPS (36" x 26" x 21"): ATI Powermodule 10 x 39W, ATB Small Cone, RK2, Vortech MP40W, 6025 Stream modded, MAG 9.5 return, Balling
Unread 02/20/2009, 10:26 PM   #19
louisvilleboy
Registered Member

grim i got my lights but no instructions we know how to hook the ballast up but putting the bulds in sockets and pins and all the other stuff do you know some place on the web that shows or something im stuck

Unread 02/20/2009, 10:48 PM   #20
LouDogDaddy
Registered Member

Nothing is easy

Hello to all... I read through the entire thread and did not see an example of what I am looking for... I did see the dedication of several individuals to this forum and I can't thank you enough for the knowledge that you are passing on to the masses...

I have a 36"x36"x26"H tank that I will like to have sps, lps and clams (clams in the sand). Tank will be viewable from all 4 sides. I have the tank set up in a location where I cannot support a fixture from the ceiling so it must be a tank mount. I also can not have a canopy so that the top remains open...

I assume that I would need a 36" T5 fizture with tank mounting brackets... Which fixture(s) are the best for my application and a recommendation on bullbs would be greatly appreciated...

See, nothing is easy...

Thanks so much in advanced...

Unread 02/21/2009, 12:40 AM   #21
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by anin

Front ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

I'd overdrive the Blue Plus and Aquablue

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
Unread 02/21/2009, 12:41 AM   #22
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rldavisou

My question is this:

Like RT said reefgeek.

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
Unread 02/21/2009, 12:43 AM   #23
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by daveonbass
Ok so I finally HAVE my ATI 36" 6 bulb Powermodule...and WOW...this is one NIIIIICE piece of hardware...worth every penny. The ATI guys know what they are doing. I ended up getting 4 Blue plus, 1 fiji purple, and 1 Aquablue.

I don't even have the tank up yet...but I did this:

Front
blue+
fiji purple
blue+
blue+
aquablue
blue+

I know it's all about my personal taste. and I like that all the blue+'s are on one plug and the other two are on the other plug...(dawn/dusk setting), but is there a better combination for that.
(read: better order) Already the fish colors pop, I can't wait to get it over the proper tank and stock it with corals. I'll post pics ASAP...but if there is a better order to place them in then I'm open to ideas...also I can't wait to give reefgeek more business and get different color bulbs and play around with it...I'll bug you guys about that later once the tank is up and running (hopefully this month)

thanks for all the help so far. This light is a beast, a sexy beast.
It's all about what looks good to you. I wouldn't worry about playing until you have the thing over corals, position will make a little more difference then.

Unread 02/21/2009, 12:47 AM   #24
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dahc1979
I am currently running 130 watts of pc's on my 35 gallon mixed tank with some softies and a few lps. I am in the process of buying equipment for a new 55 gallon tank I bought and want to put t-5 lights on the new tank. What light fixture would you recomend I go with. I would like to try some sort of sps in the future too. Thanks
Tek will work as long as you don't do a lot of SPS. Otherwise 4x54 ATI Sunpower.

Unread 02/21/2009, 12:51 AM   #25
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Glennw
Does anybody know if Reefgeek ships to Winninpeg? If not does anybody know which fish/supplies stores sell and ship to Winnipeg besides J&L Aquatics?
Thanks
You can check reefgeek and see. If not Aquarium Obsessed is in Canada but I don't know what equipment they are carrying.

Closed Thread