Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/14/2009, 06:13 PM   #1
jvdb
Registered Member

My new tank build/upgrade from GHA pit of doom

I built a 20 long nano reef a little over two years ago. Everything was going great for about a year, at that point I bought a suicidal firefish and had to put a mesh cover over the tank to prevent him from jumping. I couldn't keep my HOB skimmer with the tank cover and my nano reef slowly devolved into 20 gallons of hair algae.

Originally I was going to drill my 20L and use a second 20L I had as a sump. I had to build a new stand to accomodate the sump, and decided to upgrade to a 29G in the move. Since the build took so long, I just kept doing more and more upgrades along the way.

Old tank right before hair algae took over.

Sump running w/ Ehiem 1048 for circulation.

New tank w/ back painted and bulkheads installed.

Stand frame built. The legs are 1/4" thick angle iron, shelves are 1/8" thick angle iron. I was originally going to powder coat the frame, but went with herculiner instead (heard it was more rust-proof).

Stand w/ painted shelves (1/2" baltic birch, 2 coats of primer, 3 coats paint, 3 coats clear).

You can see the tank cycling with new rock in the background. Circulation was just the BRS reactor w/ carbon at that point.

Made some custom brackets out of extra 1/2" acrylic I had laying around.

These ones are for heaters and drains.

Sump complete. Ranco and BRS Reactor are hanging on more custom 1/2" acrylic brackets.

(cont.)

Last edited by jvdb; 06/14/2009 at 06:44 PM.
jvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 06:15 PM   #2
jvdb
Registered Member

The stand panels are made out of 1/4" baltic birch ply. Stained with midnight blue stain, and semi-gloss clear coat.

Panels sit flush with stand legs (both 1/4")

The panels attach via rare earth magnets epoxied in.

The two 1" drains are PVC street elbows painted black with krylon fusion. I cut teeth into them with a dremel. The return is: Eheim 1260 -> OM Squirt -> Pacific Coast flow accelerators. I had to throttle the pump way back with the accelerators on.

I still have lots of tinkering/upgrades. I would like to replace my PCs with a custom LED setup, upgrade my ATO and maybe do a custom Arduino based controller for data logging/monitoring/notification.

Last edited by jvdb; 06/14/2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06/14/2009, 06:34 PM   #3
bigmatt1992
Registered Member

thats a pretty cool piece of rock in the middle

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon ,20 gallon long sump/fuge,marineland skimmer rated 125 gallons,TEK 8 bulb 48", sps,lps,softie,zoa
bigmatt1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 06:40 PM   #4
jvdb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmatt1992
thats a pretty cool piece of rock in the middle
Thanks. I had a friend that downgraded from a 72G Bowfront to a 39G CadLights, and he gave me a bunch of his rock (some of the best rock I have ever seen). I spent a lot of time dry arranging those rocks until they fit solidly, then used a bunch of epoxy to glue them that way. I'm still crossing my fingers it will hold longterm.