Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/30/2009, 11:34 PM   #1
jthomps123
Registered Member

JT's Oceanic Ultimate

Hello, this thread will chronicle my - Jason's - Oceanic 156 Ultimate build.

I feel a little apprehensive about starting a 156 in the 'large reef' forum but i've been lurking here for so long I feel obligated. Last summer I purchased a Starfire 225 that sat in my garage until 1 month ago (I sold it) - and I got the 'urge' to upgrade again right after I sold it. Right now I have a mixed 75. The 225 had 2 6" overflows which essentially reduced the 24" front-to-back depth to 18" - which I wasnt in love with. Which is why I had not reservations with letting it go.

My new Oceanic Ultimate 156 is virgin - no overflows or drills yet. I will be adding a possible 12" overflow with a Herbie drain, which will leave all my floor real estate free.

Equipment ready to deploy:
Alpha 250 Skimmer
3x Tunze powerheads
1x Vortech MP40
75 gal sump
Quite One 4000 x2 return pump(s)
1x Icecap 250 / Lumenbright, will add another most likely
IceCap 660

Equipment on my mind for future purchase:
Geo Calc RX
Ehiem 1262 for return
... and more I cant think of right now.

My setup is in its infancy and im open to suggestions on every aspect. Please chime in with any constructive criticisms!

Thanks!

jthomps123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2009, 11:52 PM   #2
jthomps123
Registered Member

The Stand

I used a simplified version of RocketEngineer's DIY Stand for the framework. I wanted to use 1x4's instead of 2x4's but when I started the stand I didnt not know the actual dimensions of the tank/trim. Only the rough dimensions so I used 2x4's as a cushion. I would surely have rather used 3/4" plywood to build the stand but my woodworking expertise or lack thereof was an impediment to that venture - while I have 'decent' wood working tools IMO I have neither the experience nor skill to build a plywood stand that I would have felt comfortable with.

The following is the build process

First off the Kreg Pocket Jig - I love this thing! Used it all over!

The top frame getting glued - I used 2x6's as I do not plan to use center supports.
BTW my tank dimensions are: L 60.5 x W 24.5 x H 25

The top frame done - dont worry, bubble distortion from the camera lens is making the lengths look bowed!

I need more room! How does anyone get buy with a single 'car' garage?! Just kidding, im lucky to have what I have!

Attaching the legs - the stand will be about 40.4" tall when all is said and done.

Have I said how much I liked the pocket jig?

Old 07/30/2009, 11:53 PM   #3
jthomps123
Registered Member

The horizontal anti-sway supports being installed.

The top joints after being planed and belt-sanded. I picked through the best dimensional lumber Lowes had (most was pretty good) but still had to work it.

Completed frame:

2 coats of primer and sealant on:

Top trim installed:

Top trim painted:

Thats as far as I have gotten - as a novice woodworker it has taken me 3 nights to get only this far. I hope to pick up the pace soon...

Old 07/31/2009, 01:05 AM   #4
sbanks78
Registered Member

cool man looking good so far! no center brace? any pics of current tank?

sbanks78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2009, 11:18 AM   #5
jtgrimes
Registered Member

Nice! I see you started your thread.

Current Tank Info: 20 Gallon Rimless - http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/360828-jtgrimes-20-gallon-long-rimless-build/
jtgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2009, 09:48 PM   #6
jthomps123
Registered Member

So I didnt like the first finish on the trim...

So off it came, sanded, and I repainted and used Min-Wax Poly Spray for the finish...

I added an extra layer of the laminate as a little extra insurance...

The only way I was moving the stand by myself:

And the stand in its new location:

So even though there are no baffles in it yet, I decided to test fit the sump - a 75 gallon Aqueon (which I think used to be All-Glass), plus I wanted to make some room in the garage

Test fitting the skimmer and trying out two new-to-me Tunze 6100's:

Started to cycle some rock I had lying around though I probably wont use much if any of it:

Well thats about it for now...

Next steps:
1- Drill the display after getting hole saws.
2- Pick up glass for overflow and install.
3- Move display into place and install plumbing. I will leak test from inside!

Question for the experts:
In lieu of installing an overflow, would a single herbie syphon stand-pipe drain be very detrimental as far as surface skimming goes. Plan to push maybe 800-1200 gph through the return, and have 3 tunze and 1 vortech for flow. I want to keep the display as clean as possible...

Old 08/11/2009, 07:15 PM   #7
billgraf
Registered Member

Bump. I am trying to get to 50 posts so I can break my tank down and sell it here, sorry i just don't have much to say

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon drilled tank, Aquacontroller Jr, 2-250 galaxy ballasts, Reef Optix Reflectors - 10,000k XM bulbs, PFO 4 bulb VHO Super Actinic, 30 gallon Sump, Octopus 200NW Skimmer
billgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2009, 10:40 AM   #8
jtgrimes
Registered Member

Really Billgraf? Really? Nice Tank dude. Gonna look really good once everything is up and running. Let me know if you need anymore help.

Current Tank Info: 20 Gallon Rimless - http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/360828-jtgrimes-20-gallon-long-rimless-build/
Old 08/26/2009, 09:11 PM   #9
jthomps123
Registered Member

OK, a little bit of progress (thanks to jtgrimes for the help!)

Plumbing came in...
1.5" bulkheads with street 90 standpipes installed.

So it came time to drill the tank... I had done it before, up to 2" holes but not a brand new tank this size. Nerves were running high but it proved no trouble at all...

Plumbers putty down and hole marked... time to roll.

I drilled a hole through a 2x4 (with a wood hole saw of course!) as a guide until the diamond bit made a good groove. Note that after I was about 2/3 drilled through the glass I clamped wood to the opposite side to reduce chipping.

It took a good 5 minutes or so to get through the 1/2" glass, although I think I probably could have use more pressure. I let the weight of the drill provide all the pressure. My 2500 RPM power drill proved a much better glass driller than my 1500 RPM drill.

Woohoo... tank has landed into its final resting place... and a little bit of water for the heck of it.

About 1/3 third full...

A couple pics of the holes... I used Ebay/Hong Kong diamond bits, with wood clamps on the reverse side to minimize chipping.

OK so I had to jump way ahead and throw some lights on! Old burnt out Giesseman Actinic T5... I will only be using the one branch rock on the left - great piece aint it!

Up next:
Get sump done - baffles installed. Finish plumbing.

Old 08/27/2009, 07:22 AM   #10
strout
Registered Member

It is a great piece, lol. I saw it in your first pic of your sump when you said you most likely wouldn't use any of that rock and I was fixing to PM you and say " I will buy that one piece off of you " Would be a nice piece to put some mushrooms and some Ricordeas on. Anyway, nice build and I will be tagging along for the ride, lots of pics please.

strout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2009, 08:17 AM   #11
jthomps123
Registered Member

Yeah, from another angle it looks like two giraffes having fun lol. I was thinking a tabling acro on top, and maybe and encrusting monti below it... but we'll see!

Old 08/27/2009, 12:19 PM   #12
Blinding Reef
Moved On

lmao..before i read your post..i was thinking that it looked like two giraffes plucking away..great build so far, liking the BB look. Congrats and keep us updated.

Blinding Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2009, 01:19 PM   #13
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Looking good so far. One observation though. If you are staying BB, get a sheet of starboard or PVC and put it at the bottom of your tank. If any of your rocks get knocked over or tumbles, they'll crack the bottom pane.

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Current Tank Info: What's that???
pookstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2009, 02:09 PM   #14
jthomps123
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments. BB is just temporary.

Old 08/30/2009, 06:39 PM   #15
jtgrimes
Registered Member

I told you about the giraffes! Lol.

Old 08/30/2009, 08:43 PM   #16
sean obergfell
Registered Member

What is the set up on the bulkheads? how for from the top and how big are the holes? how many are you using? I have been searching for answeres for this...I love what I see....I"m putting in a 120 and want to go bulkeads...Hope you dont mind me asking
thanks

Old 08/30/2009, 08:53 PM   #17
Shane Hoffman
Registered Member

Looks awesome!!!

One question though, do you intend on petting something over the overflow to stop fishies from taking a wild ride to the sump???

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon glass with 20 gallon sump, 175lbs of coraline covered live rock, EuroReef skimmer rated for 250gal, 25watt Aqua UV sterilizer, Fluval FX5, Hamilton 3x250watt MH, 160 watt Blue actinic....Mixed reef
Shane Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2009, 08:54 PM   #18
Shane Hoffman
Registered Member

*putting*

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon glass with 20 gallon sump, 175lbs of coraline covered live rock, EuroReef skimmer rated for 250gal, 25watt Aqua UV sterilizer, Fluval FX5, Hamilton 3x250watt MH, 160 watt Blue actinic....Mixed reef
Shane Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2009, 02:40 PM   #19
jthomps123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sean obergfell
What is the set up on the bulkheads? how for from the top and how big are the holes? how many are you using? I have been searching for answeres for this...I love what I see....I"m putting in a 120 and want to go bulkeads...Hope you dont mind me asking
thanks
Sorry for the delay, been on vacation.

The bulkheads are 1.5" x 2 for the drains. And a single 1" return. I think i drilled the drains 3" below the top, and the return about 2" below the rim, i'll double check when I can.

Quote:
Looks awesome!!!

One question though, do you intend on petting something over the overflow to stop fishies from taking a wild ride to the sump???
Thanks! I do plan on some sort of screen, havent figured that out yet since it will be a herbie/syphon drain, whatever it is will have to be submerged.

Old 09/08/2009, 03:04 PM   #20
slant77
Registered Member

Do you plan to have walls on your stand?

slant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2009, 09:33 AM   #21
Thomas Jones
Registered Member

Looking Good Jason. Drilling a tank is always nerve racking. I bet it will look amazing once your done. Keep up the good work.

Current Tank Info: 270 acrylic in wall
Thomas Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2009, 02:49 PM   #22
Lyfey
Registered Member

im def along for the ride! The Oceanic Ultimate 155 is my next tank upcoming and Im loving your build thread already! Great job and Good luck!

Think I would be able to get the stand build directions / equipment from you? Thanks!

-Chris

Lyfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2009, 09:01 PM   #23
s.reef
Registered Member

Looks good! Your going to love that Alpha skimmer

Current Tank Info: 500 FOWLR
s.reef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2009, 10:36 PM   #24
jthomps123
Registered Member

OK after much procrastination, other priorities, and general lack of time - i've gotten back on this tank!

Finally called and got the baffles cut and installed them.
My ghetto jigs...

Ugly and uneven seems. But they seem to be holding water, and since theyre internal im not too worried. 32 Degree weather will cause you to hurry.

Plumbing has now, for the most part, been installed. I kept it very simple.
The return:

And the main drain:

Next steps:
Figure out my what lighting i'll use.
Either 1x 250w MH on lightrail + 3x80w T5.
Or 3x80w T5 + 4x54w T5.
Any opinions? T5 only will let me make a much smaller hood. But I think the extra effort might be worth it to keep the MH on lightrail, i've liked that setup on my 75.

Old 12/13/2009, 10:41 PM   #25
Mikep503
Registered Member

Looking great! Do you have anything to prevent the supply from creating a siphon if there is a power outage or tank failure? Lesson learned the hard way.

Mikep503 is offline   Reply With Quote