Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2005, 10:21 AM   #1
backlash
Registered Member

Question help or suggestions with gracilaria?

Hi ,
I'm in the process of getting a HOB refugium set up, and I just ordered some gracilaria from ebay. Does anyone have suggestions on lighting and flow requirements? Also, would it be a good idea to add some chateo in the same refugium? All responses and help are appreciated.
Thanks,
Backlash

backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2005, 08:43 PM   #2
Triterium
Registered Member

Gracillaria is very hard to keep. Id do the chaeto.

Triterium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2005, 08:58 PM   #3
Samala
Registered Member

Sheesh yeah.. I cant find a good environment for gracilaira.. it doesnt like low light (2wpg of 6700K PC) or medium light (5wpg) or high light (10wpg).. nor does it seem to like low medium or high current particularly. And.. I cant get to seem to make it not stink to high heaven when I collect it or have it shipped to me. Ehhh... gracilaria is not my first choice for a fuge macro. Go with Triterium's suggestion.. and if you're brave you could try some Ulva or the Caulerpas (which I happen to adore).

>Sarah

Unread 07/30/2005, 09:09 PM   #4
backlash
Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up; I'll try the chaeto.
Backlash

backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2005, 08:31 AM   #5
bluenassarius
retired algae slanger

i agree, graciliara is very difficult to keep. i've had it under low light, high light even shaded areas and it doesn't grow.

Current Tank Info: tankless, on hiatus until further notice
bluenassarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2005, 08:36 AM   #6
Me No Nemo
Premium Member

ORA might be a good source for info about Gracillaria since they sell it. I recently bought some for my lfs and it's doing okay so far...been about weeks. I have red and green gracillaria, ulva, agar and chaeto in the same refugium. At the SRC conference last month. Eric Borneman, I believe it was, said it was okay to keep various types together.

“Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest...” ( Dr. Lloyd Biggle Jr.)

"In among the branches of the corals, like birds among trees, floated many beautiful fish, radiant with metallic greens or crimsons...."
J. Beete Jukes 1842-46

Current Tank Info: 215 Oceanic, Dart Pump, Vortech MP 40's, ATI Powermodule 10x80 watts, 46 gallon freshwater planted tank, 3,500+ gallon backyard pond, 12 gallon mantis tank
Me No Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2005, 08:50 AM   #7
Samala
Registered Member

Agar?? Do you have a pic of this macro? I find it interesting its being called agar... I use the purified stuff from algae cells to make my petri plates! Or even vegan jello!

>Sarah

Unread 08/01/2005, 09:15 AM   #8
Me No Nemo
Premium Member

This is from the ORA website...I don't have a pic of it, but here is their description and the website where they have a pic:
http://www.orafarm.com/algae.html
Agar Seaweed - Agardheilla sp.
Agar grows in a very similar bushy pattern to Gracillaria. It is close in appearance to Red Gracillaria, except the branches are somewhat translucent and rubbery. Fish love it as food. This is the algae from which agar is derived for bacterial culturing.

“Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest...” ( Dr. Lloyd Biggle Jr.)

"In among the branches of the corals, like birds among trees, floated many beautiful fish, radiant with metallic greens or crimsons...."
J. Beete Jukes 1842-46

Current Tank Info: 215 Oceanic, Dart Pump, Vortech MP 40's, ATI Powermodule 10x80 watts, 46 gallon freshwater planted tank, 3,500+ gallon backyard pond, 12 gallon mantis tank
Unread 08/01/2005, 12:15 PM   #9
moonpod
Premium Member

Gracilleria can be grown, but the key is to tumble it. It seems for whatever reason to do best in an environment where it gets tumbled gently. There's a LFS out here that grows it like it's going out of style and that's their secret. Regardless, personally for a fuge I prefer chaeto b/c it's easier.

Current Tank Info: 32" Leemar starfire cube now empty and not quite so stinky
moonpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2005, 11:47 AM   #10
yardboy
Advanced Bewilderment

Tumble it? Hmmm, maybe what I have isn't Gracillaria then. I collected it in Panama City Beach and it was attached to the rocks. Any ideas? It's been in the fuge for two months and is doing fine, not growing fast but the system is low nutrient

Current Tank Info: 200g shallow cube, prop tank
yardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2005, 11:52 AM   #11
Me No Nemo
Premium Member

Not gracillaria, I don't think...it is thinner branched. Maybe agar...is it rubbery?

J. Beete Jukes 1842-46

Unread 08/03/2005, 02:08 PM   #12
Samala
Registered Member

No it looks like it could be a Gracilaria form to me.. a close second would be one of the Hypneas. These two arent that far apart evolutionarily..

>Sarah

Unread 08/03/2005, 04:45 PM   #13
yardboy
Advanced Bewilderment

It's not stiff, rubbery limp. But, but, but it's Red!

Current Tank Info: 200g shallow cube, prop tank
yardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2006, 09:45 AM   #14
TXLewis
Premium Member

I have tried tumbling, not tumbling, high light, low light, nutrient-enriched, nutrient limited (nitrate and phosphate) and have failed miserably at growing Gracillaria parvispora. The end result is always the same - the algae turns from a rubbery red to a pulpy pale green and disintegrates.

Now for some totally unknown reason, I am not losing and actually may be growing a small batch - what didn't die from my most recent order from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms. I have it floating in a collander in my sump under 12 hours of 50/50 96W power compact. The sump water level keeps the algae about 8" from the light. There is very little water flow in/through the collanders. As an experiment, my Calcium Reactor drip is into one of the collanders (to see if higher CO2 content may affect it). No difference.

Anyway, there is no sign of decline on the remaining batch and there appear to be growth tips. The only thing that is different is that I have recently given up on nutrient limiting and focused more on nutrient balancing. I have to feed very heavily to keep my caulerpa from going sexual. Even with heavy feeding I have never been able to measure nitrates in the system (attributed to DSB in both the display tank and fuge and the caulerpy). I can measure phosphates. If I attempt no phosphate control, I get some cyano growth on my substrate. If I overcontrol (via a small fluidized bed reactor filled with ROWAphos), my caulerpa goes sexual. I am at a happy balance right now and the Caulerpa is growing and it seems so is the Gracillaria. I'm not sure how fast - or if it will stay this way or decline.

-Unknown

Current Tank Info: 220g in-wall reef (400g total water)
TXLewis is offline   Reply With Quote