Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2005, 05:59 PM   #1
gregt
Premium Member

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...84#post5960384

gregt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2005, 05:59 PM   #2
tgreene
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtyreefer
Go with the 220 for the few extra bucks. You're almost getting twice the capability for a fraction of the cost. Of course, CSS skimmers are overrated, so I would not put a 220 on anything over 90 gallons IMO.
I run the 220 on my 125 w/ 30g sump, and you've seen the pics...

tgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Deuce67
Registered Member

Woohoo! Another thread split!

Deuce67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2005, 06:23 PM   #4
Pufferpunk
Moved On

So I guess I have to post here, to get email replys?

Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2005, 12:39 AM   #5
Jiggz
Registered Member

hey guys i have a 50gallon tank and was thinking of getting the CSS125 but heard it runs on a rio pump and also read that rio pump suck so i was thinking of getting the 220 model, would this be way too much for a 50gallon? and one more thing i dont have a sump so its gonna be hot setup, how big is the pump on the 220?

Current Tank Info: 90gallon FOWLR Tank upgrading to 250gals in the nxt couple of months
Jiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2005, 01:15 AM   #6
tripstank
Registered Member.

Ok, my adjustment knob started leaking, who do I e-mail? Are the replacement parts free? Or is there a better rig than the red flow control? Ball Valve?

Current Tank Info: Coral Prop troughs
tripstank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2005, 05:24 AM   #7
wentreefgirl
Registered Member

Jiggz-go with the 220. More skim, more livestock.
Tripstank. I left rolands email just a page or 2 ago. He usually replaces for free.

wentreefgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2005, 07:16 PM   #8
AW2
Moved On

I'm getting in on this late, but I just had to give me opinion, after reading this whole post.

I've had my CSS 220 for over 2 months now and have been nothing but VERY happy with it. I've had no overflows or any of the other problems you guys have mentioned. I get great, brown, sticky goo, great bubble action and have only had to adjust a few times in the entire time I've had it.

I hard plumbed the return with 1" PVC, minus the glue and that's the only mod I've done to it. One thing I've noticed about my mod is that the return outlet is BELOW the water line, by about 2". I dont remember if other guys had theirs below the water line or not. Any time I move the return ABOVE the water line, then the skimmer starts going nuts and overflows.

I do agree that it goes a little nuts when I feed, especially oily foods, to my predators, such as salmon. But, other than that, I'm extremely, extremely happy with this product.

AW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2005, 11:50 PM   #9
rogersauburn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AW2
I'm getting in on this late, but I just had to give me opinion, after reading this whole post.

I've had my CSS 220 for over 2 months now and have been nothing but VERY happy with it. I've had no overflows or any of the other problems you guys have mentioned. I get great, brown, sticky goo, great bubble action and have only had to adjust a few times in the entire time I've had it.

I hard plumbed the return with 1" PVC, minus the glue and that's the only mod I've done to it. One thing I've noticed about my mod is that the return outlet is BELOW the water line, by about 2". I dont remember if other guys had theirs below the water line or not. Any time I move the return ABOVE the water line, then the skimmer starts going nuts and overflows.

I do agree that it goes a little nuts when I feed, especially oily foods, to my predators, such as salmon. But, other than that, I'm extremely, extremely happy with this product.
I've been wondering about changing my setup around a bit could the other people chime in that use the css in sump if you have the output above or a bit under the water. I currently have it inside the bubble trap, that is mounted on the side of the sump but it is way above my sump water line actually the bottom of the thing is out of the water. It hasn't went nuts in few weeks but I have never gotten the nice dark skimmate some of the other has got from the css.
Thanks
Stuart

rogersauburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2005, 12:26 AM   #10
AW2
Moved On

I have mine in the 60gal. sump of my 200gal. tank, BUT...it's hanging on the side of the sump.

I'll try to get some new pics, since I've changed things around, to show you, so that you can get a clear idea of what I mean.

AW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2005, 12:48 AM   #11
Jiggz
Registered Member

o man i just read another thread where a rio ph or pump destroyed a tank by shorting out. the 65 and 125 models come with rio pumps right? i think i will go with the 220 model but just a couple questions. is anyone having any problems with the pump that the 220 came with? and i dont have a sump and will be setting it up as a hang on, but my tank is only 18" tall and the 220 is around 24" would this cause any problems? any one running the 220 model as a hang on on a 50gal or smaller tank? thanks guys for all the info in advance, im tryin to repalce my seaclone with something a lot better, but im just scared of all the stuff i read about floods and such with this skimmer. i live in an apartment and i dont think i could afford a flood.

Current Tank Info: 90gallon FOWLR Tank upgrading to 250gals in the nxt couple of months

Last edited by Jiggz; 10/27/2005 at 01:06 AM.
Jiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2005, 01:08 AM   #12
tripstank
Registered Member.

I have been running my return below the water line with the air inlet on the output tube plugged. It has run flawlessly since day one in this configuration. I have read in recent posts the concern for the so-called back pressure and belive this to be a myth. Any back pressure that is created may be so minute that is not even worth the type on this response. The slower the water moves through the skimmer the more contact time the bubbles have with the water, hence creating better skimmate. I don't belive a larger faster pump should be the recommendation for anyone with this skimmer, the needle wheel is what makes this skimmer great.

Unread 10/27/2005, 05:05 PM   #13
Blazer88
Premium Member

Is it better to add a gate valve and adjust the water level with rather than the red dial? The red dial just seems really inaccurate and difficult to adjust.

Blazer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2005, 06:22 PM   #14
tripstank
Registered Member.

In response to my own response, if a larger/ higher output pump is added, I do suggest a gate or ball valve between the pump and skimmer's intake and one on the output so that the skimmer does not get too much flow.

Unread 10/27/2005, 06:38 PM   #15
tgreene
Registered Member.

Ths thread is becomming redundantly redundant...

Unread 10/27/2005, 08:47 PM   #16
wentreefgirl
Registered Member

Hey T-greene, hows it going. Do you have a tank running again. Are you back home yet? Hope all is well with you.

Unread 10/27/2005, 08:55 PM   #17
tgreene
Registered Member.

Went back, tore down the tank, packed up the house, and moved to Jonesboro, Arkansas... Jonesboro is the town we evacuated to and fell in love with.

I set my tank back up last week, and it's already thriving. Now I just need to convince some of you exceptionally kind & loving folks to send me enough frags to re-populate my system.

Current Tank Info: 157g custom Starphire display, 450g frag system, 285g fish QT system, 400g Shark tank
Unread 10/27/2005, 08:58 PM   #18
sherm71tank
Premium Member

So do you guys think the 220 is a good skimmer? J/K!

sherm71tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2005, 02:19 PM   #19
pelochas
Registered Member

can someone PLEASE tell me how this CCS skimmer compares to a AquaC EV-120 that i may get locally for $150

Current Tank Info: working on diy led lighting and finishing a sump refuge relocated outside the house
pelochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2005, 03:35 PM   #20
dsquared
Registered Member

tgreene,
You got PM.
Dave

dsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2005, 04:10 PM   #21
wentreefgirl
Registered Member

Dont know, I never had one of those. I can tell you I love my 22o.

T-Greene you have pm.

Unread 10/28/2005, 04:12 PM   #22
tgreene
Registered Member.

Thanks so much you two...

Current Tank Info: 157g custom Starphire display, 450g frag system, 285g fish QT system, 400g Shark tank
Unread 10/28/2005, 04:25 PM   #23
brad23
Registered Member

Almost had my first spill the other day, it was 2/3 full on my 220 and the next day I look it has a half inch unitl it overflows. I quickly cleaned it up and turned down the water level.

Current Tank Info: 75g reef
brad23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2005, 05:00 PM   #24
00nothing
Registered Member

Just wanted to say how valuable this thread really is last night i grabbed a used css 65 to run hot on my 40 gallon breeder but it didn't have the pump control valve. Well today when i was hooking it up i kept having serious issues the water level in the skimmer was way to high causing the collection cup to fill in 5 mins after staring at it for along time and going thru this thread i finally found it, if i give the skimmer more air the water level will drop. All i did was cut the hose some more gut the pump higher in the tank allowing the venturi to get more air and voila she works like a champ, now i have to get rid of a small micro bubble issue and this will be one of the best skimmers i ahve ever owned

THANKS to everyone who has contributed to this post

NOW a ? for the ozone guys how are u guys runnning your ozone in do u run the hose from it into that little muffler canister thing i noticed that if thats not there u get a serious back siphon when the pump is shut off last thing i want is it backflowing into my ozone and and pouring out all over the floor

00nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2005, 06:14 PM   #25
tgreene
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by 00nothing
NOW a ? for the ozone guys how are u guys runnning your ozone in do u run the hose from it into that little muffler canister thing i noticed that if thats not there u get a serious back siphon when the pump is shut off last thing i want is it backflowing into my ozone and and pouring out all over the floor
I can easily answer that, but in all honesty, I really too damn drunk to have to be typing everything, so just call me, cause I'm in a real chatty mode and my wife is out of town and I'm bored as hell and so on and so forth --- WHEW, that was the run on sentance from hell!---

Anyways, I can easily answer all your questions, as well as provide VALUABLE info in regards to Ozone that I'm not willing to post here!

Tim Greene
870-627-0594