Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/19/2006, 10:02 PM   #1
kris4647
Registered Member

My New 400 Gallon [Attention Equipment Junkies!]

Its been quite a journey. Early last year I started acquiring equipment for what for me would be the most up to date efficient tank I could possibly design arrange. Instead of trying to buy all the equipment at once and get divorce I picked up pieces of equipment here and there.

Tank 84x36x30
My tank was manufactured by Innovative Aquariums in Washington. The tricky part here was I wanted no streams or circ devices showing. Mojoreef helped me out with the early design. I came up with CL return ducts that surround both overflows. In theory they work just like A/C ducts to distribute CL suction and disch evenly. Down side here was they took up a lot of room.

Filtration

Well here is most of the cash...Some were bought on ebay some used someflown straight from Germany...

250 External BK skimmer
2-10m3 Red Dragon Pumps [one on a CL and one on sump water return]
1-Red Dragon 12m3 [main CL]
OM 4way
Deltec PF600 Ca Reactor
Deltec FR616 Fluidized Bed
Deltec KM500s Kalk Stirrer
Ozotech250
Aquatronica

Lights.....
Photon 4x250 8xT5 39w. The uber light straight from Germany.....

Rock
So far 450 of Totoka LR.

Preparations for the tank kinda drug along through 2005. The person who built the 2" tubular steel stand moved overseas so I had to find someone to finish the stand. Then in September Hurrican Rita completely took out all fish in my 215RR.

Its been a long journey. It became apparent early on that a fish room wasn't feasible so all the equipment is under the stand which was challenging to say the least.

I welcome your questions or comments.I will try to explain the plumbing/tank design as we go enjoy.....

First set of pictures is from around a month ago......

The BK working on the Live Rock

Plumbing nightmare, I'm kinda a control freak.I wanted valves on everything

Older Picture with old tank in backround

kris4647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2006, 10:09 PM   #2
kris4647
Registered Member

Overflow Box, Sump return in center CL Dishcarge on sides.

Top Down.

Dont have a good picture of the other end, same concept. Two side boxes for CL suction. One centered in front of sump return box is CL2. Can see a bit of it here

Old 03/19/2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Mr.Furious
Premium Member

wow definately an equipment junkies wet dream... So when do you plan on throwing some coral in there?

Mr.Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2006, 10:26 PM   #4
kris4647
Registered Member

Now updated pictures....

Tank is shown with T5's only. New ballast boxes being built by Icecap to arrive this week.

Cleaned up a bit in stand

Ca Reactor installed [not a great picture]

Other side of stand

Sump/CL2

Old 03/19/2006, 10:58 PM   #5
mako199
Tankless!

Awsome setup......What type of live rock is that?....Kaleani?

Click the Homepage link for my (just another) 120g in wall thread.

Current Tank Info: 40g Lizard tank
mako199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2006, 11:41 PM   #6
trmiv
Registered Member

Wow, I wish I had the patience to take that long to acquire equipment, I'd probably have the stuff I want not the stuff I settled for. Very nice setup!!

Old 03/20/2006, 01:38 AM   #7
dogstar74
Premium Member

Love the LR aquascaping and the towers and how you've hid them. BRAVO!!!

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon nano with ATS
dogstar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2006, 01:44 AM   #8
dustin Combs
Moved On

Awsome,

Just @ 4-5 thousand under the tank in filtration, reactors, and BK plus the ozone. What controller are your using or going to use with all that?

dustin Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2006, 01:45 AM   #9
dustin Combs
Moved On

oops I just finished reading your equipment list aquatronica controller.

dustin Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2006, 02:24 AM   #10
jun41
Registered Member

That is one CLEAN setup. I love your valvework.

jun41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2006, 02:31 PM   #11
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Looking good. How did you attach the rocks to the overflows? Or did you just stack them around them and hope they don't fall.

I had the same idea for doing my center overflow in my 400.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2006, 03:45 PM   #12
snowroach
Registered Member

Very impressive! Keep us updated with more pics when you can!

snowroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2006, 05:24 PM   #13
kris4647
Registered Member

Thanks for all the kind words.

Corals are about a month off, I want to cycle the rock completely siphon off detritus and add a substrate. Before that happens I'll also probably do a near 100% water change as well. Which will in a word, suck.

The rock was placed by me, by hand in the tank. I used a case of the Deltec epoxy. To be honest I wasnt impressed with it very much. I relocated some rock that was epoxied a month ago and the epoxy was the consistency of gum or clay. Not very hard at all. When I do the big water change I am going to try a German product I've been hearing about.

Also with good life rock like this is, you really can wedge it together. Which is scary but works. Scary because you actually
have to beat it into place and the rocks wedge together. Being coral skeletons it wedges together well. I just cant afford a landslide on the main CL tower. Acrylic doesnt forgive much.

Anyone doing a room divider or three side viewable should really consider turning the overflow to a diamond shape. I really like it.

The discharge ducts are designed around a 1.5" BH. I did this to be able to run a flow and not pressure pump in the application.
Downside to this was size, which really turned out okay considering what I was able to accomplish with the rock.

BTW two tips for anyone planning,plumbing a large tank.

1-Use the Savko BH's. Even the Haywards I have arent that impressive. IMO

2-Never ever ever silicone a BH gasket.

Old 03/20/2006, 08:45 PM   #14
pennyguy23
Premium Member

Where did you get your rock from?? I really like it.

Current Tank Info: 360gl inwall, reef , 40"Geo Skimmer, 4 Tunze 6100's w/ controllers 400watt Sfiligoi Lighting with 4 ACLS Units
pennyguy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2006, 08:49 PM   #15
Julio
Registered Member

Hey Kris,
Great Kick A.. equipment!!! how is that Kalk reacor working for you ia m conisdering getting oen myself?

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef w/ 250 watt SE XM10Ks and AP1003, 12 gallon reef, 40 gallon reef
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2006, 09:21 PM   #16
kris4647
Registered Member

The rock is from Fijian area called Totoka. Marine Center I believe carries it online.

Julio

Wish I could help you bro, get back to me this weekend. Really sound design though. I had no luck with the MRC/Stir bar version.

Old 03/20/2006, 09:23 PM   #17
Julio
Registered Member

Yeah, i heard a lot of people are not loving hte MRC kalk reactor.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef w/ 250 watt SE XM10Ks and AP1003, 12 gallon reef, 40 gallon reef
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2006, 10:16 PM   #18
Purple Haze
Registered Member

Once again, looks nice. Time for some frags! Tank tours, tank tours!

Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2006, 09:55 AM   #19
pennyguy23
Premium Member

Is that were you got your rock from?

Current Tank Info: 360gl inwall, reef , 40"Geo Skimmer, 4 Tunze 6100's w/ controllers 400watt Sfiligoi Lighting with 4 ACLS Units
Old 03/21/2006, 01:12 PM   #20
alien9168
Registered Member

Nice Job. I really like the lights. That looks like as really thin fixture to me. Very cool.
I also like the overflow with the return areas. Very neat.

-alien

Current Tank Info: I used to have a 30g custom acrylic cube sps, lps, zoos, mushrooms, leathers, 3" gigas+ anthias. 30Xg Sea Horse Tank...starting fresh...
alien9168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2006, 02:10 PM   #21
Ginzo
Registered Member

Incredible setup kris4647 !

I'm an equipement junkie so for me this setup is to drool for !

Wondering if you could comment on the Red Dragon pumps you use for your close-loop ? Are they strong enough, are they worth it ?

Also, just wondering if your happy with your BK 250..it seems to be performing wonderfully !

Ginzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2006, 04:05 PM   #22
AggieBrandon
Registered Member

Looking great Kris What sort of livestock plans do you have for this tank?

B

AggieBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2006, 05:44 PM   #23
kris4647
Registered Member

Ginzo.
The Dragons are really impressive. I really like the 10's they push a ton of water and are dead silent. The 12 is great but humms more than I thought it would. I am discussing this with Gary [at Captive Oceans] and Klaus to see if I may have an impeller issue. I was genuinely surprised but the amt of flow into the tank from both pumps. The draw is more like 170w for the 12 and around a 100w for the 10 btw.

The BK is as billed. The best skimmer I have owned or seen [pulls 40watts!]. I bought it used early last year when they were pretty hard to come by; hence the size is smaller than I would go for now, but I'm pretty confident it can handle the tank. I also couldn't really afford to use anything with a larger footprint in my stand.

The downside is there though. The parts for the BK are hard to come by, the folks at Captive Oceans have bent over backwards for me when something comes up, but at times the supply just isn't there. Even the piping is rough. All metric. The silicone adapters on the pumps help out here a bit. I personally screwed
up the drain piping on the BK and had to end up ordering fittings from Canada. You cant just go to Home Depot to fix a problem.

Brandon I have no clue . Probably sps but I cant make it without my anemones and clownfish. So pretty mixed.

Alien I was wondering if anyone would notice the lights. They are just like the BK. Very well engineered. I believe Photon made their stateside debut at the last Macna. Expensive though.

Old 03/21/2006, 05:54 PM   #24
alien9168
Registered Member

I bet they are exoensive...but what isnt lol. The lights themselves look great and make your tank even better. Great job kris. Im tagging along if you dont midn lol.

-alien

Current Tank Info: I used to have a 30g custom acrylic cube sps, lps, zoos, mushrooms, leathers, 3" gigas+ anthias. 30Xg Sea Horse Tank...starting fresh...
alien9168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2006, 06:33 PM   #25
pennyguy23
Premium Member

I am buying rock right now for my 360gl and I REALLY like your rock. IS MARINE CENTER WERE YOU BOUGHT YOURS FROM??? I didn't really get an answer from you. You answered everyone else but the easiest question. PLEASE let me know. Thanks