Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2006, 04:27 PM   #1
mrcrab
Moved On

It begins... 345 gal Starphire in-wall

Started a thread on this on 8/23/06 but moved some pictures around in photobucket which aren't showing up in the old one so...I'll start again.

Here it is ladies and gentlemen. The build began Monday. Here's the first pics. I'll keep you updated. I'll have lots of questions as this goes along so I appreciate any and all feedback.

I'd like to thank everyone that's answered questions so far and the folks that I've been following over the last year especially Melev, Sanjay, jnarowe and more.

Tank Dimensions:
96" X 30" X 30"
Front Panel, Eurobracing and Cross Bracing: Starphire

And so it begins...

Full length, outside overflow 96" X 5" X 8" with 4 X 1 1/2" bulkheads

Side View

Front View

mrcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2006, 04:34 PM   #2
mrcrab
Moved On

For all the experts out there...

This is the back of the wall that the tank is going into. It's in the garage.

Opinions please. Do you thing I can start the build as is or do you think maybe it could be a bit more organized?

If more organized...what would you suggest?

I'm thinkin' front end loader and 60 yard dumpster here!

Unread 11/12/2006, 04:38 PM   #3
mrcrab
Moved On

originally posted by FishyBiz 8/25/06:

Quote:
Did you build the tank yourself?
reply:
FishyBiz

No. I like working with my hands but find it's much easier, faster and less frustrating hiring professionals. The money I would save doing it myself is not worth my time or my sanity.

originally posted by mcox 8/26/05:

Quote:
What glass thickness was used for the sides and bottom panels? Thanks mc
reply:
Bottom is 3/4" sides are 1/2"

Last edited by mrcrab; 11/12/2006 at 05:01 PM.
Unread 11/12/2006, 04:52 PM   #4
mrcrab
Moved On

originally posted 8/26/06:

Well since the tank won't be here for at least a week I'll post where this came from, is now and then we'll get on to where it's going. I know you voyeurs love pics, so here goes.

My current tank is an all glass 120 RR. I bought this used about 6 years ago and it was a FO tank until September of '05. I was having lots of stability problems mainly my fault as I would get into it and take good care of it and then I'd get po'd with it and let it lapse. During the lax times fish would perish and I would get frustrated. Then I found this site and started doing research.

I also started to spend more time at my LFS talking with them. They sell saltwater stuff but are honest when they don't know the answer and try to find out. They also introduced me to a local reefer CR0220. Chris has been great with all my questions and has helped me tremendously on this journey. This is what the tank looked like when I put the lighting on to start the conversion to reef tank.

Stunning isn't it?

As time has progressed I've bought up a few setups from other Reef Central members that were breaking down and had equipment and/or livestock I was interested in.

A shot of the tank in February of this year.

And finally shots of where we're at today. Everything is stable and the inhabitants are fat and happy with not a lot of intervention from me.

I realize that it's not the best aquascaping or anything else, things have just been added willy nilly as acquired. That's one of the reasons for the new tank.

The current tank was an experiment to make sure I would be able to care for a larger system without having to spend a great deal of my life maintaining it but much time enjoying the view.

Front Left

Front Right

Center

Left View

Right View

Next entry... philosphy of the new tank as well as equipment.

Unread 11/12/2006, 04:59 PM   #5
mrcrab
Moved On

originally posted by steve the plumb 8/26/06:
Quote:
Doesn't the koran angel nip at your corals
reply:
It's actually a juvenile emperor that's in the process of changing to it's adult coloration and no I've never seen it touch the corals

originally posted by Shnabbles 8/26/06:
Quote:
That's 30 inches wide? From the side it looks about 8 inches wide... unless im missing something.... but really nice frontal shots
reply:
No, those are pics of my current tank a 120 which is 18" wide. It's got corner overflows which makes it look less wide. New tank, pics at top is 30" wide.

Last edited by mrcrab; 11/12/2006 at 05:12 PM.
Unread 11/12/2006, 05:16 PM   #6
mrcrab
Moved On

originally posted 8/30/06:

Tank's done and curing. Pickup the end of next week. Hopefully no more storms between now and then!

Here's some new pics of the completed build. Still needs to be cleaned up. And yes the cross bracing is not evenly spaced, that's by design. I'm putting my 6' Marisatr unit over it and didn't want the halides over the glass.

Tank Done Rear

Tank Done Front

Unread 11/12/2006, 05:22 PM   #7
mrcrab
Moved On

originally posted 9/9/06:

Since I'm heading south tomorrow to pickup the tank, I'll post some pics of the equipment I've been collecting over the past year and using on the new system. As usual... all constructive comments are appreciated.

Skimmer. I'll be using a ASM G4X that's been modded with an extra Sedra 9000 recirc pump

Lighting: Sunlight Supply 6' Maristar unit. I'm running Ushio 14K 250W DE's and I'll be swapping out the actinincs in the unit for more white lights and adding 4 X 54W T-5's for my actinic. The T-5 retros will be 2 on the front and 2 on the back of the main unit. And no...it's not that blue actually a very crisp white. That pic was taken when the actinincs only were on.

I probably have nearly 400lbs of LR that's been cooking for at least 6 months. Mixed stuff I bought from reefers breaking down their setups. I plan on doing pillers of rock that will have shelves sticking out for putting corals on. I want to keep the system as open as possible. No rock walls here.

I didn't want to drill the tank for a CL because the guts of the tank will be in that garage and I didn't want my 9 year old banging into plumbing. Flow will be generated by 2 X Ecotech Marine Vortechs and the returns of 2 X 1262 Eheims connected to 2 X 1" Seaswirls that will be in the rear corners. I'm also thinking of using some modded MJ's to blow from back to front on a wavemaker.

This should alow not only for plenty of flow but should be very economical power usage wise.

Flow will be going through 3 X 40 Gal breeders. 1 will be the skimmer the next will be a frag growout tank also lit by T-5's and the last will have the return pumps.

Last but not least an ER RS8-2 will run the 120 while the new tank is getting ready.

Unread 11/12/2006, 05:58 PM   #8
alien9168
Registered Member

looks cool

Cant wait to follow the brogress...nice lighting on the 120 btw

Current Tank Info: I used to have a 30g custom acrylic cube sps, lps, zoos, mushrooms, leathers, 3" gigas+ anthias. 30Xg Sea Horse Tank...starting fresh...
alien9168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2006, 10:46 PM   #9
mrcrab
Moved On

I picked up the tank on 9/10 as scheduled and it had been sitting on furniture dollies in the garage for the past 2 months.

The problem was, I was going to have a steel stand made like Sanjay's, the cost of the steel wasn't a problem it was the welders. I called and got a number of quotes and they wanted a ridiculous amount of money, $1200 for 2 days work and I was supplying the steel as well as cutting it for them.

I've got a buddy about 4 hours away who's an engineer and a pretty darn good carpenter who agreeed to help design and build it. We were going to build it onsite but he was having a problem with a rotator cuff and at 72 years old I wasn't going to ask him to pack up his tools, come to me and build the stand. I finally dragged the wood to his shop and we got to work.

I wanted the openess of the steel stand as I only had the one wall to work with. He decided the best course of action was to manufacture a beam that we wouldn't have to support in the center. We took 2 2 x 6's and sandwiched a 3/4" piece of plywood together using fiberglass mat, resin then finally through bolting it with 5/8' carriage bolts every 18"

Here's the build:

I missed a couple of the initial pictures so I'll try and fill in the blanks. First we checked the 2 X 6's with a straight edge and got our best true edge. Then we ripped the other edges down so we had good straight edges to work with. Then we ripped the 3/4" plywood to the same width as the 2 X 6's. We laid one 2 x 6 on it's side and cut the fiberglass mat to size. We mixed the epoxy resin with hardener and coated the 2 x 6 put down the fg mat coated again with resin, placed the 3/4" ply on top, made sure the edges were lined up, put a few screw in to hold it and clamped it up to cure. Then we did the same with the second 2 X 6 after first was cured sandwiching the plywood between the 2 X 6's.

While the beam cured we made a 10' catwalk to go along the back of the tank that will be hinged to the stand and fold up behind the tank as well as 2 X 2' catwalks that will be attached on the sides as the tank sits nearly 46" above the garage floor. Catwalks are 12" wide.

Unread 11/12/2006, 11:01 PM   #10
mrcrab
Moved On

After the beams were cured it was back to the table saw to trim everything down to the same size.

One down...3 to go.

Unread 11/12/2006, 11:13 PM   #11
mrcrab
Moved On

Once the beams were all cut to size we clamped them together to make sure everything was square and true.

We took it apart, drilled pocket holes then glued and pocket screwed the top of the framework together and clamped it all together.

When it dried we screwed the top, a 3/4" piece of marine ply to the top of the frame, flipped it over and pocket screwed the bottom of the frame.

All together we put the stand together in a day and a half.

Unread 11/13/2006, 06:37 AM   #12
jmccown
Registered Member

Looks heavy duty for sure.

Former member of the "Huge tank club"

Current Tank Info: 300 Deep Dimension FOWLR
jmccown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2006, 04:06 PM   #13
jnarowe
Registered Member

stand looks great. I had the same problem with welders for a loadinig ramp at my store and I ended up building it myself like a very over-built deck. Just rolled 2900 lbs. plus pallet jack on it and not even one creak! yay for me!

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2006, 05:12 PM   #14
alien9168
Registered Member

WOW. Nice work

how are you going to move that piece?... it must be very heavy.

Also...paying that much for 2 days of welding labor is ridiculous. Nice move doing it yourself...even though steal stands are nice.

Nonetheless...that is one serious stand top!

Current Tank Info: I used to have a 30g custom acrylic cube sps, lps, zoos, mushrooms, leathers, 3" gigas+ anthias. 30Xg Sea Horse Tank...starting fresh...
alien9168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2006, 09:57 PM   #15
mrcrab
Moved On

Quote:
how are you going to move that piece?... it must be very heavy.
Actually it's not too bad. I could flip it by myself to paint it...needed 1 helper to move it around.

Unread 11/14/2006, 09:50 AM   #16
lusenut2
Registered Member

that stand is serious. you could hold your house up with that. lol

lusenut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2006, 12:00 PM   #17
Alphabet
Registered Member

I sympathize with picture of your garage ( first pic ) . Nice to have a garage setup for some woodworking!! Nice stand too!!

Current Tank Info: downsized to 75g
Alphabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2006, 09:57 PM   #18
mrcrab
Moved On

All this work has been done in the past 8 days...we're moving along nicely. Tank is nearly full I just need to get the thread caught up, so here we go.

11/6/06 the hole was outlined on the wall and the boys cut out the drywall in the garage getting ready to make the header. They stopped there as we weren't sure where we were going to run the electrical panel.

To give you some perspective, the inside dimesions of the tape are 7' X 2'2". The concept of the tank is a living picture.

The tank itself is 96" X 30". I didn't want to see the sides or the top of the water line. I also didn't want light hitting the glass on the sides so those areas will be darker and should give it more depth, like looking through a window at the sea. It should also help with coraline growth on the tank. The front panel is starphire.

I will be building pillars like Sanjay's though at least one or two of mine will actually break the surface of the water.

This is the garage side.

Unread 11/14/2006, 10:02 PM   #19
mrcrab
Moved On

No work done on the 7th.

On the 8th the header was installed and the stand fitted and legs measured. The stand was then painted with 3 coats of polyeurathane.

The boys hard at work leveling making legs etc.

Unread 11/14/2006, 10:32 PM   #20
jnarowe
Registered Member

alright! moving ahead. very cool.

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2006, 10:46 PM   #21
mrcrab
Moved On

Thursday the 9th was a HUGE day. Major accomplishments and cudos to the crew.

Viewing hole cut

We painted the header and drywall with a paint on shower pan liner to act as a vapor barrier.

Final leveling

The stand legs are notched 6 x 6's that have been through bolted onto the stand base. I'm thinking if catastophe strikes the house will collapse around the tank.

Cleaning crew (frag) hard at work

Everything ready...foam in place

Unread 11/14/2006, 10:53 PM   #22
mrcrab
Moved On

Contemplating the lift

HEAVE HO!!!

We actually heaved a bit too much ho! We thought the drywall would hold the front of the styrofoam in place but the tank pushed it forward bowing the drywall and rolling it under the tank. We had to do a bit of adjusting.

Unread 11/14/2006, 11:05 PM   #23
mrcrab
Moved On

Tank in Place

BTW that's a 55 gallon drum under the stand. Do you think I'll have enough room to navigate under there?

Viewing Side

Tank has been filling since 9:00pm on Thursday night and it's almost full now. I'm running an air, water & ice 75 gal/day unit with a pump.

It absolutely amazes me what can be accomplished with a few pizzas and a couple of cases of beer.

Overall a top day with no casualties.

Unread 11/14/2006, 11:36 PM   #24
mrcrab
Moved On

Well the boys took a well deserved break and started again on Monday. As I said my goal is to create a living picture. The viewing hole was lined with a 45 degee piece of wood that will act as the edge of the matt for our framed picture. Couple of coats of mud to smooth the matt out.

I called a local picture framing company with regards to the size the matt and a frame should be for a picture of this size. We settled on a 5" matt and a 5" frame. We had toyed with the idea of using crown moulding as the frame but decided it would stick out from the wall too much and settled on three pieces of trim moulding glued together to get some depth and the width we wanted.

Installing the hinges on the catwalk

And this is were we are at as of about 15 minutes ago. Catwalk in place and almost full. Guess I better get started on the plumbing.

The sump will be a 120 aga tank that arrived at my LFS today. Baffles should be in place within the next day or two.

Salt arrives tomorrow, today actually, and I will rig a temorary sump so we can get some circulation going and salt mixed.

Unread 11/15/2006, 07:35 AM   #25
Bax
Premium Member

Great progress!

Love the catwalks, very good idea!

The framing and finish on the viewing panel is really nice too!

Current Tank Info: 150 DT/ 40B fuge/ 75g frag/ 40 g sump/ SRO XP 3000 Ext/ TUNZEs & VorTechs circulation/Dart return/ MTC Pro Cal/ UV & Oz
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote