Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/28/2006, 08:16 PM   #1
ReeferAl
Premium Member

Anyone have experience with Bermuda Aquatics skimmers?

Like the title says. I can't find many posts by people who actually have one of their skimmers. It sounds like they are new to the home aquarium market. The design sounds like it has some potential but I want real life experiences before considering their skimmers.

Allen

ReeferAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 09:04 AM   #2
geckofrog
Registered Member.

I saw them at Macna in Houston, I almost bought one. Looks good.

Current Tank Info: 75G,
geckofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 09:37 AM   #3
E-A-G-L-E-S
Registered Member

i recently got back into the game with a 58g. ...... i am sumpless until spring so i bought the B.A.A.(the hang-on) and let me tell ya, this pulls out more skimmate, more consistently, and darker than the two previous hang-ons i used when i first got into reef keeping a few years ago(CPR Bak-Pak/C.S.S.125) by more than 100%.

So if the in-sump models are of any comparison i would think they are very good.

I will be buying one when i get my sump set-up in the spring that's for sure.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
E-A-G-L-E-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 09:42 AM   #4
taekim78
Registered Member

using one right now - bps-8c - had it for about 3 weeks. took about a week to break in. i had some issues with water level in my sump so I could not really adjust the water level correctly on the skimmer. did a inital review - doing a full review here in about two weeks.

post # 1161

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...hread-117.html

taekim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 10:20 AM   #5
ReeferAl
Premium Member

taekim78
I'll be anxious to see what you think in another couple of weeks. That skimmer is close to the one I would get- the BPS-K10, the next step larger. What skimmers have you used in the past? I'm particularly curious how these stack up the skimmers like ER, ASM, H&S and Deltec.

Allen

Old 11/29/2006, 10:55 AM   #6
Driftwood
Registered Member

Does anyone know how these make foam? Is it a spray nozzle?

Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 11:09 AM   #7
geckofrog
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by ReeferAl
taekim78
I'll be anxious to see what you think in another couple of weeks. That skimmer is close to the one I would get- the BPS-K10, the next step larger. What skimmers have you used in the past? I'm particularly curious how these stack up the skimmers like ER, ASM, H&S and Deltec.

Allen
I wouldn't compare them to ER H&S and Deltec just yet. They haven't been on the market long enough.

Current Tank Info: 75G,
geckofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 11:23 AM   #8
taekim78
Registered Member

Quote:
What skimmers have you used in the past
I have used a aqua-c ev120 (not too great) and the remora. this is my first 100+ gallon size tank (its on a 180 G). The skimmer is made like a tank and customer service has been great.

This is a venturi skimmer.

Right now I am using a mag 18 on to drive it. more details later must get back to work.

Old 11/29/2006, 11:59 AM   #9
gcarroll
Registered Member

I myself am looking forward to trying one out. I myself would not compare this skimmer with any needle wheel skimmer because no injection style skimmer that requires a large pump to operate will compare in the electrical efficincy department. This seems to be the only area where needlwheels outperform their competitors. In my experience injection style skimmers offer better organic removal. I will say that the Bermuda skimmer appears to use much smaller pumps than competing skimmer companies.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 07:11 PM   #10
ReeferAl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Driftwood
Does anyone know how these make foam? Is it a spray nozzle?
It appears to me from their pictures and description that they are a venturi skimmer with a design modification. The water-air mixture is injected into a small compartment within the main skimmer body. It swirls around that "vortex chamber" which has "blades" projecting from its walls. The blades presumably act to further break up the bubbles into smaller bubbles- kind of like the needle wheel concept except the blades are after the pump itself. Anyone who has seen one in person is free to correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the "vortex chamber" with the "blades":

Allen

Old 11/29/2006, 08:52 PM   #11
gcarroll
Registered Member

I will take a look at one this weekend to confirm

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2006, 07:12 PM   #12
law086
Premium Member

I've been strongly considering one of these skimmers. The owner of Something Fishy (http://www.toofishy.com) sells them, uses them and highly recommends them. They showed me the 8C in action (has it on a 600 gallon system) and it looked good. Sort of did have a swirling action at the bottom. He loves them due to the basic pump requirements and says they're very easy to clean and maintain.

Ron

Current Tank Info: 180 RR ~ 150g sump ~ 100g fuge ~ 30g frag tank ~ Bermuda Aquatics 8C on Mag18~ GenX 55 return ~ 3 SureFlow MaxiMods, Tunze 6000 ~ 40w Gamma UV ~ 175w x 3 MH ~ 160w x 2 VHO
law086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2006, 06:58 PM   #13
E-A-G-L-E-S
Registered Member

I just fired up a 5C with mag 12....replacing a B.A. hang-on
First impressions.....i love the fact that it utilizes the entire cyclinder, unlike say an asm, it will be very easy to clean, and it seems to make some nice, fine bubbles....i'll give it a week and report back after it's tweaked to suit my system and has been running.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 12/07/2006, 07:37 PM   #14
law086
Premium Member

Matt - please do. I'm about 95% set on one of these... although I'm not sure if I'll go the 5C or 8C. I have either a Mag18 or Gen-X 55.

Do you have direct experience with ASM skimmers? If so, I'd like to hear how you'd compare them... as I'm running a G3 now.

P.S. - operating pics would be cool too.

Ron

Current Tank Info: 180 RR ~ 150g sump ~ 100g fuge ~ 30g frag tank ~ Bermuda Aquatics 8C on Mag18~ GenX 55 return ~ 3 SureFlow MaxiMods, Tunze 6000 ~ 40w Gamma UV ~ 175w x 3 MH ~ 160w x 2 VHO
Old 12/07/2006, 07:40 PM   #15
E-A-G-L-E-S
Registered Member

no, i was trying to say that i don't like how the condensed bubbles don't start on an asm until 5-6" up from base, thus eliminating alot of potential.

i believe this will outskim a modded G3, time will tell.....now the 8C with mag 18 or gen-X would simply blow away a G3 modded, for that matter a G4X modded.(granted using more power, but not too much to keep me from using)

i will let you know as soon as results are evident

Old 12/07/2006, 07:44 PM   #16
E-A-G-L-E-S
Registered Member

this is actually replacing the B.A. hang-on, which put the other hang-ons i used when i first got into reefing a while ago, to shame....so i have high hopes.

I also was sold by watching the 8C working on a 600g commercial set-up at Something Fishy(that skimmer is amazing).

Now i do have past skimmers to reference, such as a Downdraft ALS skimmer and a Schuran Jetskim 200(which was a beast w/ Eheim 1260).

Old 12/23/2006, 08:25 AM   #17
law086
Premium Member

Matt - any updates? How's the skimmer doing? Any pictures?

Thanks,
Ron

Old 02/04/2007, 01:05 PM   #18
taekim78
Registered Member

Hey guys sorry for taking so long to post pics.

so far...

1. took about a month of fiddling to set it to get it to skim how I like it.

2. as of now its kicking some serious booty.

the picture below is about 1 week of skimming. It is pulling 1.5 gallon of nasty skimmate. it can set more if I skimm a little wetter but I liek it were it is. The stocking list of fishes are

2 - hippo tangs 6", 3"
1 - barred rabbitfish 6"
1 - yellow tang 5"
1- spotted mandarin 3"
4 - lyre tail anthias 3"
1 - copper band butterfly 5"
1 - blond naso tang 3"
1 - green chromis 2.5"
1 - clown fish 2.5"

Old 03/10/2007, 05:49 AM   #19
hulley
Registered Member

E-A-G-L-E-S, hows that 5C working with that mag 12? I'm considering the same set up for my 180g. I'm putting water in this tank very soon so I'll be ording a skimmer any day now!

hulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2007, 06:35 AM   #20
Rwinfrey
Registered Member

bump

Rwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote