Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/10/2018, 01:02 AM   #1
johnfallon135
Registered Member

why isn't any live rock used when raising clownfish fry?

is it because they're blind?

johnfallon135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 09:22 PM   #2
kizanne
Registered Member

I"m not sure. I know lots of breeders like sterile blank tanks but then ammonia is harder to control with just a sponge filter. Or you need lots of volume or water changes. I like a smaller volume but use chaeto for ammonia control.

I would assume live rock would have to be originally dead live rock that was cycled for bacteria usage. Real live rock would have lots of things that would eat your babies, rotifers, and bbs. Which would make it not very productive in the raising fish criteria.

I have never done clowns. People say they are pretty easy with the 'current' method so maybe why mess with something that works?

I think you should try your own thing and report back how it went. There is always the way everyone knows until something better comes along

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2018, 03:41 PM   #3
Planetmacro
Registered Member

I'm trying to solve the deformed CB clownfish problem. The sterile tank method does not produce perfect WC looking fish. Using live rock and live sand in a small tank should produce stable water parameters. I agree with kizanne that well cycled dead rock is best.

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2018, 07:05 PM   #4
kizanne
Registered Member

if you want to decrease deformity. I'd suggest using copepods as first foods. It is way better nutrition than rotifers or bbs.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
Unread 12/31/2018, 03:10 PM   #5
carrots
Registered Member

Most baby clown fish deformities are due to poor diet within the first couple of weeks.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2019, 03:43 PM   #6
Lou Young
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizanne View Post
if you want to decrease deformity. I'd suggest using copepods as first foods. It is way better nutrition than rotifers or bbs.
I’m interested in what you said about copepods. Can you direct me to where I can find more info on them being better first foods for clowns than rotifers? Thanks!

Lou Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2019, 04:48 PM   #7
kizanne
Registered Member

I encourage you to use google. It is widely known that copepod have better nutritional profiles for fatty acids and proteins. Try typing copepods sudden death syndrome. Or fish larva nutrition. or fish larva fatty acids. You'll get lots and lots of reference material.

It should be a clue that if you raise rotifers they recommend using reeds RGcomplete because makes the rotifers closer to the nutritional profile of a copepod.

Here are just two of the links found about fish and copepods one specific to clowns and another about cod but most of the scientific papers that compare copepods to something else find copepods to be better.

NOW can you grow clownfish without them absolutely people do it all the time. Can you use rots and bbs Absolutely people do it all the time. But copepods are the best for the first nutrition for pretty much all the fish I've bothered to research.

The reason many breeder don't use them are they are a pain in the butt. I will mix them in with other foods if I don't have enough for copepods to be an only food. My fish generally don't die from nutritional problems. I still have fish die though.... but from ammonia, hydroids, etc...

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....my-baby-clowns

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4451035/

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...in_aquaculture

BELOW is an excerpt of the above.
[B]In these systems, Artemia nauplii seem to meet energy requirements, while the copepods supplement the diet with essential nutrients for improved growth, survival or higher proportion of normally developed fry.[/B] Preserved copepods were also shown to be benefi-cial as a supplement to traditional live prey for an ornamental fish Amphip-rion clarkia using frozen preserved copepods harvested the wild (Olivotto

Unread 02/24/2019, 01:38 PM   #8
Lou Young
Registered Member

Thank you for the information. The links you provided were very informative so I will be trying out copepods next time around and see if I notice a different than with using rotifers.

Lou Young is offline   Reply With Quote