Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2017, 03:59 PM   #1
Jamesjugs
Registered Member

Question Diseases

Hi Guys,

I've had my tank for just over 3 months; 90L Fluval with the Partition at the back for filtration, I've just added a Oase 800Lph and Oase 7w UVC. I've also got a protein skimmer and 'wavemaker'. The first filter is at 1200LPH and the oase is turned to min to allow max exposure in the UVC.

The water parameters are all good except the nitrates around 20. I've got balance balls and carbon chemical filtration.

The fish are all good except my two clowns which have got white spot which seems to be getting worse; both are still very active and have a varacious appetite. I've tried Octazin by water life but that hasn't done much.

Should I just wait to see if they develop a resistance? I don't have room for a QT and have got £112 of live rock a hermit and turbo snail. So copper isn't a option.
In the tank with them is a Lemon Peel cleaner wrasse humbug and yellowtail damsel. I'm not looking to add any more fish going forward.

The rest of the fish have no signs so would it be worth giving them a dip in Paraguard for an hour to help them along or should I give them more time?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Jamesjugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 10:39 PM   #2
Jdub968
Registered Member

A dip in paraguard will not kill the ick! If one fish in your tank has ick they all have it, a qt and a treatment of cp or cu is required with a fallow period of 76 days in the DT. Fish can build an immunity to ick but it will always be present in the DT if you do not treat. Some so claimed reef safe treatments can help manage ick but that's about it.

Jdub968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 01:45 PM   #3
SAT
Registered Member

Jamesjugs,

To Reef Central
My experience is that about 50% of fish will develop temporary immunity before the parasites kill them. As Jdub said, Ich will likely persist indefinitely in the DT if you don't let it go fallow. Until then, addition of any new fish will likely trigger a new round of infections.

Current Tank Info: 300G Caribbean biotype reef set up in 2003.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clownfish, disease, medication, white spot