Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2019, 12:48 PM   #10826
rrr0283
Registered Member

need help with cycle process.

Hi, my name is Romero.

Im new to the saltwater hobby. I have a 150G that I started the cycle with two 30g SUMPS that will be refugiums. The main display and the SUMPS have live sand and rock. I have 2 octopus reef skimmers (not in use yet). I have finished the plumbing of the SUMPS and it is running OK. I put a shrimp prong from deli into the tank for 2 weeks and the ammonia spiked as expected and I then removed the shrimp. I put microorganisms from Fluval into the tank and have lowered the ammonia to zero and nitrites and nitrates have spiked. it has been a bit over three weeks since I started and am waiting for the nitrites to fall to start a water change.

Is there something else that I should be doing to help complete the cycle in order to start adding fish?

Thank you

Romero

rrr0283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2019, 11:54 PM   #10827
ekgthe1st
Registered Member

Hi,
I am a total noob when it comes to saltwater and reefing. I had have freash water tanks in the past. Though I really want to get into live coral tanks and fragging. I want to know where to start and what supplies and tank will I need and what be good to start out with.

Though I find fruit loop zoa, mushroom heads, elegant coral, and bridnest really beutiful.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

ekgthe1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2019, 01:24 PM   #10828
Ezreal
Registered Member

Not new but returning after 4 years. Used to specalize in NPS inverts and corals and returning to my roots.

So hello again RC folks!

Ezreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 07:30 PM   #10829
Lylandria
Registered Member

Hello!

Hi everyone!

My name is Holly. I'm new to RC. Hope to meet new friends & get a little advice now & then. Have had a few marine tanks since my first one back in 1989. Have had to quit occasionally due to finances, ha ha! Currently I'm taking it slow with a 55 gallon acrylic tank. It has a 10 gallon trickle style filter/sump & I am running a hang-on-back protein skimmer. I use an in-line heater and a Current programmable LED light system. I started the tank back in May 2018 with cured live rock from Fiji and a bag of live sand. I had a Blue spotted Watchman Goby & a Randall's Pistol Shrimp up until the #Campfire on Nov 8th. My house didn't burn but we were evacuated for nearly 3 weeks and found out our power had been out for 6 days & came back on while we were still evacuated. Miraculously I didn't lose the whole tank. Shrimp & Goby didn't make it but much of the live rock & the Feather Duster worms did. I returned to Nitrates reading at 20 & a ton of algae but everything else 0 so I imagine the tank re- cycled itself while we were evacuated since power had come back on. Now I just have a big cleaning crew. They have done a great job of clearing up the algae & I'm about ready to get another Watchman Goby & shrimp. Next will be a Mandarin, followed by my ultimate goal species- Seahorses. I've kept them a couple times in years past.

Lylandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2019, 09:38 AM   #10830
MrTyler585
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsegrn View Post
Hello all, I'm new to this group. I have a 54 gal corner tank with 2 AI hydra 26 lights. I would like to set that up as a reef tank. The other tank is a 115 gal 4 ft wide but 32inch deep tank. That tank has a 4 bulb VHO T5 florescent fixture. Both tanks are plumbed together to a 55 gal sump in the garage. I am in the process of building a saltwater mixing station with an automatic water change setup where i have 2 30 gal drums (1 for rodi and 1 for saltwater). I have a Apex Neptune to monitor the tank and the heaters are inline to reduce the amount of hardware in the tank because the sump is approx 40 feet away for one of the tanks.

I am trying to get some ideas on a few things. I am tying to decide what to stock my tanks with. And second is what type of light to place over the 115 gal tank because I only have approx 8 inches of space above the waterline. And what are your ideas on Bare bottom tank vs a 1inch sand bed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Beautiful Setup ! Love the in wall design ! Post some more pictures !

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

MrTyler585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2019, 01:39 AM   #10831
MaximoKuo
Registered Member

Hello all! My name is Maximo and I live in Taiwan. I am new to RC but I’ve been reefing for about five years. I have a 20G LPS tank at home and a 30G SPS tank at work. I look forward to many discussions here.

MaximoKuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2019, 05:25 AM   #10832
Royden Church
Registered Member

New from Port Elizabeth South Africa

Hi All, I am Royden for Port Elizabeth South Africa, been in the aquarium hobby for about 24 years, switched to marine in the past 2 years, currently have 10 aquariums ranging from 1000L(busy completing build) all the way down to 20L nanos.

I DIY as much as I can from filters to LED Lighting, stands, tanks and anything else which pops to my head. Currently finished my DIY Orphek and ZETLight style LEDS which are working out well, been testing for past 6 months and have seen corals growing nicely.

I assist our LFS with bigger tank designs and of course receive nice discounted prices in return.

Anyway, happy fish keeping and hope to added some value to this forum.

Best regards

Royden

Royden Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2019, 05:58 PM   #10833
gromulin
Premium Member

Back again

Hey all, Not totally new - was an active member here when the spawn were little and reef keeping was a great way to stay sane with two toddlers. Now they are teenagers and one is taking marine ecology next year, so breaking out the reef stuff again! So much has changed in 15 years. Looking forward to learning it all over again. Still have my Anthony Calfo books somewhere...

Current Tank Info: Searching
gromulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2019, 10:42 PM   #10834
Noobcoral
Registered Member

Complete noob in propagation of corals

hey, noobcoral here. I'd like to learn how to produce high quality corals but have 0 experience in this field. Can anyone help?

Noobcoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2019, 07:16 PM   #10835
DangSoGood
Registered Member

Hello everyone. I’m new here. A buddy of mine got me hooked on the hobby. He hooked me up with a BioCube and stand. The trick worked.

Looking forward to learning from everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DangSoGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 06:11 PM   #10836
poseidon_88
Registered Member

New here, looking at your guys' awesome tanks I'm convinced I have no clue what I'm doing... Here's mine. This green wavy algae thing started growing out of nowhere!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

poseidon_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 04:32 PM   #10837
Willlb79
Registered Member

Not new to hobbie but newer to site

Hi will here, Just starting to set up my 150 gal biggest yet ! Very excited . Trying to take my time in this build to think my way into some of the struggle for room and filtration ,salt creep issues,ect Flow rate so far as I have not tested yet,Seems to be by numbers where Id like it to be,And from here I currently have a 55 gal running in my home and setting this one up at my girls place as am moving in soon. So the rock is "cooking" for new tank now (150lbs) and trying to get the 55 balanced and ready for is move in a month.So this week will be doing the floor bracing as I have checked and we feel it is needed as a comfort thing and to minimize bouncing from washer (front load) and kids playing ect.. Then the big one..Building a canopy.

Willlb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 10:23 AM   #10838
Garmoy76
Registered Member

Hello, My name is Mike, I am new to this site and forum. It was highly recommended to me by "Spanky", he is a personal friend of mine. he said to read everything possible and ask lots of questions and this is the best place to get the information. i am just starting out in the saltwater life. i am taking my time and gathering as much info possible. i have a 100 gallon tank to start at the moment and nothing else. if anyone has any helpful information it would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Garmoy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 01:18 PM   #10839
Ten Bears
Registered Member

Hello, I am new to reefing but have had an interest for many years. I have a 90 gallon tank that I just got done cycling. I hope to start putting livestock in it soon.

Ten Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 12:39 PM   #10840
Kriegad
Registered Member

Hi! I’m new to the forum, but have had my 40 breeder going for about 8 months. Had one tank crash already due to failed heater but learned from it and kept reefing! My kids love “helping” me with the tank, and I hope to learn from the pros on this site and maybe one day become a pro myself.

Kriegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2019, 10:29 PM   #10841
Mickey13
Registered Member

New from New Jersey

Hiya, they call me Mickey. I'm pretty much new to the salt game. Had a 120 fresh maybe 25 years ago so will be hoping to learn a lot here. Am starting with a fish only 54 tall (still patiently working on the cycle stage), looking to get into reefing for my next tank.

Mickey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2019, 08:01 PM   #10842
Reefkeepa1
Registered Member

Hey fellow reefers. I am Reefkeepa1. Back in the hobby again after a few pico tanks. You might remember me as the original REEFKEEPA. problem is I lost the e-mail address attached to that account and the Admins couldn't help me since I forgot my password.I have a lot of tank pics posted on here from that account that I wish you guys could see. Probably starting in 1999. Anyway I got my 50 cube up and running. It is bad to the bone. Hopefully all the coral I have been keeping alive for the past few years in my now gone 32 bio cube will start to thrive. Divorce is not a reef hobbiest's friend!

Reefkeepa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2019, 11:01 AM   #10843
vqreefer
Registered Member

Hello! I just began cycling my 5g Top Fin Retreat as a nano reef. I’ve done a lot of research but I still need to learn some more about corals and decide which type of goby and inverts I want. Any recommendations are apprecited!

vqreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2019, 08:57 PM   #10844
kartrsu
Registered Member

Hey everyone,

My name is Arthur and I'm completely new to the reefing hobby. I started out in the aquarium hobby a couple years back with a simple freshwater tank for a goldfish, which then transformed into an obsession with planted tanks. As I researched about freshwater tanks, I was impressed by the awesome aquascapes on the internet, and then the journey went from 0 to 60 real fast. After a couple of years in freshwater, I wanted to get into saltwater tanks and bought myself a Nuvo 20, but didn't get around to setting it up because I had to move. It's been two years since then, and I finally decided to take the plunge into saltwater this Christmas (perfect timing for spend big $$$?). Here's my current setup.

Tank: Nuvo 20
Light: AI Prime HD
Skimmer: Nuvo DC
Return: Sicce 1.5
Heater: Colbalt 75W
Filtration: 1 Nuvo filter sock, 1 AUQA custom caddy, Marine Pure bio media, De-nitrate
ATO: Smart ATO Micro with IM ATO reservoir

I'm really excited to get into the hobby. My tank was flooded 1/13/2018, and has been cycled. It's going through the nasties right now with diatoms and cyano, which will hopefully work their way through soon! I'm hoping to learn as much as I can from the community here!

kartrsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 08:33 AM   #10845
MarConiglioIta
Registered Member

Hi everyone, My name is Marco and I'm italian
so please forgive me if my english its not quite good, I hope I can say properly what I mean...

After my whole life (30 years) whit many kinds of freshwater aquariums, I had some medium-big sized tanks, I've started a 80 gallons saltwater tank (Elos 120), it works since december 2018 with 35-40 kg of live rocks... there arent any fish or corals yet
I'm planning a mixed reef with mainly lps/softies

can I open a dedicated thread?

MarConiglioIta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 10:41 PM   #10846
Gramma20
Registered Member

Hi all,
I’ve kept freshwater tanks a few years but I want to start saltwater. I have 3 freshwater tanks running and planning 2 saltwater tanks (20 gallon mixed reef and 29 gallon fowlr for a valentini puffer). I’ve been researching for about a few months already but haven’t done anything yet besides buying tanks. Hope to learn a lot on this forum.

Gramma20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 11:58 PM   #10847
Bary
Registered Member

Back to the scene after taking a break. Ready to start a Reefer 250 with as much automation as my wife lets me afford. Going for full SPS this time around!

Bary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2019, 09:56 AM   #10848
Doc Brown
Registered Member

Hello

Hello everyone,

I am new here but have saltwater tanks off and on for almost 40 years. Just purchased a Biocube 16. Excited to get it started.

Any suggestions for making the Biocube better are welcome.

Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2019, 10:02 PM   #10849
wweaver
Registered Member

Brand new to the hobby. The most experience I have is staring into the tanks at the LFS.

Getting mentally ready to donate my paycheck to the hobby.

wweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2019, 03:37 PM   #10850
chasejarvis0300
Registered Member

Hello all! I’m new to the whole saltwater community but everything in my 55 gal tank seems to be going amazing (: from SC so any aquarist near by let me know and maybe we can meet up to discuss tips!

chasejarvis0300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral