Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2018, 08:42 PM   #1
myaquariumpro
Registered Member

So I killed my 2nd diamond goby...

Last year I got my first diamond goby. It was doing great in biocube lived their fro about 3 months. Then I decided to put it in my main display and next day found it dead on the carpet. Little did I know that they like to jump...

And so today I come from work and started moving some rock work in my frag tank. Few days ago I had couple of rocks crash down on the sand and I could figure out how that happened.

so I lift this big rock, about 10lbs and guess what I find under it...?!

yep my diamond goby was crushed right under it. I put it in the tank with deepsand bed three days ago without giving it a 2nd thought. Afterall, I did have good cover on top this time.

so there he was totally crushed under the rock. I’m guessing he was digging in the sand and made my rock structure collapse on him. But never have I experience or heard of such instance.

Leasson learned to secure rock work.

anyone experienced similar situation with fish getting crushed by the rock work ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myaquariumpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 08:51 PM   #2
Joe0813
Registered Member

guess he should have used support beams

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 09:55 PM   #3
rffanat1c
Registered Member

Never experienced it, but for sure have had close calls moving rock around. That's one way to get you to stop moving rock around in a tank with fish in it. I took all my rock out once to rearrange when I was new to the hobby and my Royal Gramma ended up in a rubbermaid bin in a rock hole for about 45 mins while I put the rock back in. Picked up the rock and saw a gold tail sticking out. That he lived through, but sadly died after hiding in a powerhead when the power was flipped back on....

rffanat1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 04:39 AM   #4
Dmoody
Artillery Drill

Yep diamonds will dig under a lot of the rock work. I have one in a 170 gallon tank and he has holes under most of the rock work. If the rock was big enough he may have not had enough time to get out from under it.

Nuvo 38: Radion GEN 3 w/ Reeflink, MP10w ES, Tunze 9004, Tunze 3152, InTank media basket, Eheim 2000+, Custom stand
Dmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 06:43 AM   #5
alton
Registered Member

I learned many years ago with two yellowhead goby's, if you are going to have sand dwellers gobys and jawfish rock goes in first and fill in substrate second. I will buy dry rock and place it first, which supports my good looking liverock.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 06:47 AM   #6
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
I learned many years ago with two yellowhead goby's, if you are going to have sand dwellers gobys and jawfish rock goes in first and fill in substrate second. I will buy dry rock and place it first, which supports my good looking liverock.
^^^This^^^

The base rock should always go in first. That way, when the diggers do what they do the chance of a rockslide is minimal.

Sorry for the loss of your fish. And good for you for using a screen top to prevent jumpers. FWIW - ALL fish can jump.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 08:37 AM   #7
nereefpat
Registered Member

Bummer.

Diamond gobies are famous for both, unfortunately.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 11:57 AM   #8
MurphyLong
HMFIC

I've lost 2 Diamond gobies lately. Once when I left the top open after feeding, and found him dried up the next day.
The most recent one, I noticed I hadn't seen him, but I found him behind the tank dried up. He had to have jumped while I was in the room, and I just didn't notice.

Unread 02/20/2018, 01:02 PM   #9
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Diamonds get startled very easily and they jump cause they get startled by others.
Had mine 16 months now and has never jumped once....

Sorry to hear of his engineering miscalculation...I love to watch these fish build their homes...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 07:25 PM   #10
Indymann99
Registered Member

So I have had 2 Diamonds and currently have a Goldenhead sleeper. My theory is that Goby's swim UP the side of the tank and end up carpet surfing :-( . I have lost 1 in QT even with eggcrate covering the ENTIRE TOP... I had to double up the eggcrate to get #2 through QT for 9weeks. That said once in the DT I had my Diamond for ~8yrs, and my new Goldenhead for 2mo. I think the 4in Eurobrace on my DT keeps the goby's from swimming up the sides and out of the tank.

just my 0.02

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:43 AM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

If you are going to keep any animals that burrow, it is well advised to place your rocks directly onto the glass or plastic tank bottom and then pile the sand up against it. Requires a bit more rock, obviously since some of it is hidden, but you will avoid these kinds of collapses. I've had my diamond goby for almost five years now and he (or she) has become extremely 'lazy'. No more digging or sand sifting; just sits under a rock overhang and waits for tasty morsels to drift by.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 11:16 AM   #12
biecacka
Registered Member

Please as mentioned above a few times. Rocks in first, then sand. This way hey cannot burrow under the rockwork.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 11:25 AM   #13
ClownNut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myaquariumpro View Post
Last year I got my first diamond goby. It was doing great in biocube lived their fro about 3 months. Then I decided to put it in my main display and next day found it dead on the carpet. Little did I know that they like to jump...

And so today I come from work and started moving some rock work in my frag tank. Few days ago I had couple of rocks crash down on the sand and I could figure out how that happened.

so I lift this big rock, about 10lbs and guess what I find under it...?!

yep my diamond goby was crushed right under it. I put it in the tank with deepsand bed three days ago without giving it a 2nd thought. Afterall, I did have good cover on top this time.

so there he was totally crushed under the rock. I’m guessing he was digging in the sand and made my rock structure collapse on him. But never have I experience or heard of such instance.

Leasson learned to secure rock work.

anyone experienced similar situation with fish getting crushed by the rock work ?

only when you dont think it through.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote