Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2018, 09:21 PM   #51
bidny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
should look into seeing if your local club has some suction cups and about 8 strong guys and try to move it by yourself.
sorry to hear about the incident too, that really sucks man

corey

I think I've found a good company to move it this time around. I wanted to try to move it with some friends and family, but there are two problems. 1) If we drop it, there's no insurance to cover it. 2) If someone gets hurt, I'd feel really awful about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use your reef to educate others on the fragility of the world's oceans. By saving the oceans, we can save the planet.

Current Tank Info: 90g Oceanic Tech Tank, 2x Ecotech Vortech MP40wES, Reef Octopus Extreme 160, 2x Deluxe BRS Reactor, 2x Laguna Max-Flo 900, 2x 250w Eheim Jager Heater, 29g Sump/Refugium, 2x Ecotech Radion XR30w Pro G3, Reef Angel Plus Controller
bidny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 09:04 AM   #52
Northsidereef
Registered Member

I can’t even imagine the difficulty of getting 800 pounds of glass down a staircase without incident. Even with 8 people there is no way they would all have hands on it going down the stairs

Northsidereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 11:07 PM   #53
bidny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsidereef View Post
I can’t even imagine the difficulty of getting 800 pounds of glass down a staircase without incident. Even with 8 people there is no way they would all have hands on it going down the stairs

My thought would be to slide the tank down the stairs onto a furniture dolly. Could cover the stairs with a piece of plywood. Biggest thing would be to not scratch the tank.

Use your reef to educate others on the fragility of the world's oceans. By saving the oceans, we can save the planet.

Current Tank Info: 90g Oceanic Tech Tank, 2x Ecotech Vortech MP40wES, Reef Octopus Extreme 160, 2x Deluxe BRS Reactor, 2x Laguna Max-Flo 900, 2x 250w Eheim Jager Heater, 29g Sump/Refugium, 2x Ecotech Radion XR30w Pro G3, Reef Angel Plus Controller
Unread 02/16/2018, 06:57 AM   #54
Mknuwet
Registered Member

That’s good although stressful

Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 09:00 AM   #55
mcreefster
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your setback but on the bright side you have the makings of an amazing build under way and it will all be worthwhile when it's full of coral and fish. At least this gives you the opportunity to really take your time plumbing the sump.

Your stand, sump and tiling look sweet and I look forward to seeing this build progress.

mcreefster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 08:23 PM   #56
Northsidereef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidny View Post
My thought would be to slide the tank down the stairs onto a furniture dolly. Could cover the stairs with a piece of plywood. Biggest thing would be to not scratch the tank.

I would see if it's possible to rent something like this from somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHzjDBkKcec

Unread 02/20/2018, 08:38 PM   #57
Northsidereef
Registered Member

I just did a quick google search and sunbelt rentals rents those stair lifts. According to the website they have one with a 650 pound capacity and a 1500 pound capacity. Doesn’t say the price though

Unread 01/25/2019, 08:52 AM   #58
bps619
Registered Member

Any updates?

bps619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2019, 03:04 PM   #59
bidny
Registered Member

Actually, I have quite a few updates. I’ll try to pull together a post shortly.

Unread 02/05/2019, 10:40 PM   #60
bidny
Registered Member

So, way back in December 2017, I received the following update from Miracles regarding tank number two:

I sold off the damaged tank to make room for the new one in the garage. I only charged the cost of the insurance deductible ($250) for the tank, hoping someone could find a way to use or repair it. It sold in a flash, and I hope it’s out there living its best life

Then, finally in late April 2018, I had the new tank back in the garage where we started...

Unread 02/05/2019, 10:59 PM   #61
bidny
Registered Member

In mid May, the very generous Tom Honeycutt at Tank It Easy in Chicago put me in touch with a great moving crew at Aaron’s Reliable Movers. These guys were fantastic. Before they even touched the tank, they spent a couple of hours planning the move and building the necessary ramps, etc. It paid off.

It was one of the most stressful days of my life, but in the end, we were able to get the tank in its final resting place. I was so worked up that day that I didn’t really feel right until after a good night’s sleep.

Huge shout out to Ron, Cyrus, Jacob, Rene, Malcolm, and Rudy for their professionalism, strength, and intelligence in approaching this problem.

These guys had moved a lot of tanks in their days, but they said that this move may have been their most difficult ever.

Two years after placing my first order for the tank, it was finally in place.

Unread 02/06/2019, 10:43 PM   #62
bidny
Registered Member

Level! Always nice when a plan starts coming together.

Unread 02/06/2019, 10:46 PM   #63
bidny
Registered Member

Since I had been pre-curing my rock, I couldn’t go the traditional rock -> sand -> water route. I just wouldn’t have enough water on hand to get the rock submerged in reasonable time. So I opted to go water -> rock -> sand.

Filling the tank was a bit scary. Even though the stand was very hefty, it was still an unconventional design. There were no supports across the floor. There were no center supports. The stand itself and the legs on the ends were designed to extend well past the end of the tank.

I decided to use a dial indicator at the bottom center of the tank to measure the deflection as I added water. By the time the tank was full, I was still measuring less than half the deflection I considered acceptable. I left the dial indicator in place for a few days just to see if the stand would continue to settle, before I was comfortable with the results. Water!

Unread 02/07/2019, 07:11 AM   #64
McPuff
Registered Member

Just added water and already have a Tunze care magnet in the tank. :0)

I assume it was to remove the bubble on the glass? Either way, I like it.

Super awesome deflector measurement tool!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2019, 08:33 AM   #65
bidny
Registered Member

Bidny's "Coral Prism" 300-gallon Rimless Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Just added water and already have a Tunze care magnet in the tank. :0)

I assume it was to remove the bubble on the glass? Either way, I like it.

Super awesome deflector measurement tool!

Yep, got to knock off those pesky bubbles somehow

Last edited by bidny; 02/07/2019 at 08:43 AM.
Unread 02/07/2019, 07:12 PM   #66
bidny
Registered Member

Then came aquascaping. I knew what I wanted to do going in, so I just had to execute my vision.

The rock is a mix of old rock from my 90 gallon (mostly Fiji and Tampa Bay Saltwater) and CaribSea LifeRock.

Unread 02/08/2019, 08:44 PM   #67
moondoggy4
Registered Member

The tank looks great, I love the aqua scaping. I am thinking about getting a larger tank something in the 84 x 30 x24 and after helping a friend move a slighty smaller tank, with 13 great guys who came to help I was thinking about going with acrylic I swore that stuff off 13 years ago.

Did you consider Acrylic? I guess the I know the answer. Was there a reason?

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2019, 12:24 AM   #68
bidny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
The tank looks great, I love the aqua scaping. I am thinking about getting a larger tank something in the 84 x 30 x24 and after helping a friend move a slighty smaller tank, with 13 great guys who came to help I was thinking about going with acrylic I swore that stuff off 13 years ago.

Did you consider Acrylic? I guess the I know the answer. Was there a reason?

Thanks! I only briefly considered acrylic. Of course, acrylic is clearer, lighter, better insulated, and stronger than glass. But it’s always a matter when (not if) acrylic is going to become scratched. That was not something I wanted from the tank. I wanted to be able to have substrate and to clean the glass without too much fear of scratching.

Acrylic can also yellow/discolor over time, and I didn’t want to take that risk.

Additionally, glass tends to bow less at long distances (although it’s more likely to break than bow), so glass was a better option for my rimless tank.

But, perhaps most important was the fact that I simply like the look and feel of glass tanks more. There’s something to be said about a 3/4” thick piece of glass that acrylic fails to replicate for me.

Unread 02/10/2019, 08:24 AM   #69
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidny View Post
Thanks! I only briefly considered acrylic. Of course, acrylic is clearer, lighter, better insulated, and stronger than glass. But it’s always a matter when (not if) acrylic is going to become scratched. That was not something I wanted from the tank. I wanted to be able to have substrate and to clean the glass without too much fear of scratching.

Acrylic can also yellow/discolor over time, and I didn’t want to take that risk.

Additionally, glass tends to bow less at long distances (although it’s more likely to break than bow), so glass was a better option for my rimless tank.

But, perhaps most important was the fact that I simply like the look and feel of glass tanks more. There’s something to be said about a 3/4” thick piece of glass that acrylic fails to replicate for me.
These are really good points. For me, it's the scratch factor. I had a 180 acrylic a while back and it was great... but it seemed that it would scratch just from looking at it. You have to be EXTRA careful to keep the glass clean because once coralline algae starts to grow, it's BIG trouble. Because one seldom moves a tank, the weight savings is not really that important to me. The clarity is certainly a bonus, but starphire glass is close. Nothing beats a top-down view regardless. My opinion is that glass is better for a saltwater tank, particularly a reef. Acrylic works well for freshwater, especially if you're not doing a toothy predator tank. The light is generally lower, and you don't get coralline algae growing on the panes.

My current tank is a 300DD glass. The next tank would [obviously] be bigger and the only way to do this is to build in place. So it has to be plywood and I'd probably use a pane or two from my current tank, as it'll never leave the basement in one piece.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote