Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/06/2008, 11:41 PM   #76
JCTewks
Moved On

So, lets send some PM's to Mhurley and explain what we all saw and try and get Bean reinstated. IMo, I saw bean do no wrong in that thread or this one....in fact, in all of the "arguments" I've seen bean in, He has been the peaceful one, sticking with facts instead of being reduced to flaming or personal attacks. If anyone should have been banned on that thread it should NOT have been Bean IMO.

Unread 02/07/2008, 01:33 AM   #77
GuySmilie
Premium Member

This is just not right!

Count me in as well.
I am almost speechless in learning that BeanAnimal has been deep-sixed.
It's for guys like him that I even came back to RC, let alone contribute my funds as a Supporting Member.

I've been in and out of this hobby for more than 30 years, and it is rare than I happen upon someone with Beans breadth and depth of knowledge regarding most things reef. Larry Jackson from the old CompuServe days comes to mind, as well as a few others, but not many.

Moderators, I submit that you carefully reconsider this injustice to BeanAnimal. I feel that he is provoked more than anyone else that I see posting in these forums; mainly by those who can not accept that there is someone who speaks their educated mind and is mostly right in his challenges.

You are doing this community a great disservice by taking this ill-though course of action!

Bean, if you are reading this, and it turns out that you are not coming back to RC, please contact me at iamguysmilie@hotmail.com to let me know where it is that you eventually land.

Thanks to all for tolerating my soapbox moment.

Unread 02/07/2008, 05:32 AM   #78
shyland83
Registered Member

After reading the last few post before and after bean was moved on, it seems to me that mhurley has every intention of letting him come back. He says "For the time being, i will relieve them of that concern" I hope so anyway

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon mixed reef
Unread 02/07/2008, 07:49 AM   #79
MeuserReef
Welcome to the next level

Quote:
Originally posted by shyland83
After reading the last few post before and after bean was moved on, it seems to me that mhurley has every intention of letting him come back. He says "For the time being, i will relieve them of that concern" I hope so anyway
But the point is that why should we have to be "relieved" of the "concern", when infact the only concern that I see is the inevitable increase in false, mis-stated, crooked logic that will fill this forum in Bean's abscence. (aka "look at my chiller I made from an icecube and a Maxijet.... " etc)

Bean has helped alot of us out, myself included. I personally appreciate the amount of time that he invests on this forum to try and help clean up the crap and to attempt to present the real-world facts of how things work/dont work (as previously noted by liveforphysics).

mhurley, give the man his membership back. We all would appreciate it.

Current Tank Info: tankless
Unread 02/07/2008, 08:16 AM   #80
hebygb
Registered Member

BRING BEAN BACK!
BRING BEAN BACK!

EVERYBODY... CMON...

BRING BEAN BACK!

Unread 02/07/2008, 08:24 AM   #81
hebygb
Registered Member

One of the fundamental failures of this medium is that conversational tone, inflection and even vocabulary suffer. All of our posts are subject to the interpretation by the rest of the members as well as the moderators. What may have been inquisitiveness by a member to capture the facts, could have been misconstrued as malicious.

The point that many of us would like to make to the moderators is that this thread began as a VERY informative version of a DIY project. As for other threads, I cannot speak to.

I think we all have walked away from a conversation, or had someone walk away on us in the real world. But that didnt mean that our right to speech was removed. Perhaps the first step is to remove a member from the thread where there was contention... but respect the fact that perhaps he/she is still being productive in another thread.

Just my two cents.

Unread 02/07/2008, 09:33 AM   #82
GuySmilie
Premium Member

One of the things I've noticed about these 'dust-ups' that have involved BeanAnimal is that most (if not all) of the other participants are allowed to carry on and continue posting. While Bean is the one who is publicly admonished.
I do find that peculiar.

Unread 02/07/2008, 10:51 AM   #83
otto486
Registered Member

Is all I can say about the standpipe design is... wow. Keep pics coming, I wanna see what this one ends up lookin like.

Just tryin to keep the rats from knawing my toes off...

Current Tank Info: 50 Custom build in progress (click on the red house)
Unread 02/07/2008, 04:23 PM   #84
GuySmilie
Premium Member

WYSIWYG.
That is the end product.
No more pix as the OP has been banned.

Unread 02/07/2008, 06:02 PM   #85
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Darn! I just discovered this thread! I guess I was just a little late.

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube
Unread 02/07/2008, 06:40 PM   #86
LoneRanger
Registered Member

this sucks.

I reeeeealy wanted to see some pics from a running setup (preferably Beans)

L.R.

Current Tank Info: 300+ Room Divider
Unread 02/07/2008, 11:05 PM   #87
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Just click on his gallery!

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
Unread 02/07/2008, 11:13 PM   #88
reefnewbie54321
Moved On

sucks bean got banned ... anyone know how to contact him? He didnt list his email in his profile and doesnt have a homepage.

Heres beans setup ... it was in his gallery

Unread 02/07/2008, 11:41 PM   #89
GuySmilie
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefnewbie54321
sucks bean got banned ... anyone know how to contact him? He didnt list his email in his profile and doesnt have a homepage.
Huh?!
Of course he has a home page.

Unread 02/09/2008, 02:02 AM   #90
pescadero
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by GuySmilie
One of the things I've noticed about these 'dust-ups' that have involved BeanAnimal is that most (if not all) of the other participants are allowed to carry on and continue posting. While Bean is the one who is publicly admonished.
I do find that peculiar.
Its madness. Sheer madness.

Its a good thing that I walked away from a technical disagreement with one of the staff in the $1 PVC Bulkhead thread, or I may have suffered a similar fate.

Unread 02/09/2008, 09:34 AM   #91
daleKW
Registered Member

Mods will be mods.. They are people too..

If anyone else is running this design and has anything to add please do..

I am planning a 40g breeder project and was planning to use this design. The 40g will be veiwable on both long sides and one end so I was thinking this design would save me some space in the tank

Unread 02/09/2008, 02:24 PM   #92
activecactus
Registered Member

Man, that really sucks. I've always found threads with a little "miscommunication" make for a better read. Doesn't mean that someone should be banned for trying to explain something.

Guysmilie, PM me if you find out where he goes as I have a question for him. Now I know why his PM doesn't work.

BTW I'm using dual siphon drains w/ no emergency drains for almost 2 years now. They tend to balance out somewhat but, leave much to be desired.

Unread 02/09/2008, 08:03 PM   #93
Herbie
Yep,that one

Hmmm..............

Wow...........This thread got out of hand pretty fast!

Yes I am still around guys, mostly lurking in the backround, choosing NOT to get involved in the everyday bickering that goes on here. Ego's do tend to flair out of control when "some" assume that there is only ONE way to do something!

kimoyo........ THANKS for sticking up and trying to give credit to the original thread. I appreciate the fact that you put in the link for that "old" original thread. I lost track of how many views/ responces it has generated over the years. Which BTW........is still in the top 10 threads in the Lighting/Filtration forum AND has been nominated for Thread of the month 2 times already.......and lost..........to "eye candy" threads..........so what. My original intentions were just to post an idea, so as to help anyone who was having a hard time quieting down there tank.........like I was.

H20ENG.........Sorry, but I dont really go for the sarcasm bit. So lets just drop it. I have never even replied to any posts you have contributed towards, but you felt the need to personally attack me ???? I guess you thought I just wasnt around anymore, because I choose to stay out of the BS that goes on here........And yes.............."a true hobbyist, he tried to help people for free" ...........that one is true. You cant even begin to imagine what my PM box/ E-mail has been like since that original post! And yes I still get questions on almost a daily basis asking for help............which I almost always have time to respond to all of them. I remember at one point I had to turn off my P.M. box just to get a break!
For the record...........I NEVER put myself up on a high pedestal and claimed to be all knowing, inventing the wheel /gravity and such!!!!!!!

As for Beans addaption of a now very popular overflow method.............I say GREAT. It what makes this hobby even better for all of us. I think Beans method leaves a little more margine for error.........which is good.
This hobby is constantly changing for the better do to members whom are not afraid to post up there ideas...........good or bad.
Let me tell you this though................you have better have thought your idea out VERY thoroughly BEFORE you choose to post it!!!! The naysayers will come out of every nook and cranny to find every flaw they can think of. Badger and personally attack you they will.

Bean has come-up with a very nice system. Nice cad drawings too! I feel Beans method, although I am sure is MORE effective, is not as easy for a average reefer to apply. Believe it or not, MOST reefers do not really fancy the idea of building "Calfo" style drain boxes and drilling holes in there "brand new tank". Thats just to advanced for most average entry/intermediate level reefers. My basic idea was geared for an average reefer, who could go out and buy an "off the shelf" reef ready tank, and adapt a silent siphon system with an emergency drain, very simply..........yes the emergency drain idea WAS in the very first post on that "old" thread.

liveforphysics............brilliant with the traps! That an idea that a lot of people can use irregardless of whether they use the siphon method or not!............NICE

Shame for Bean............he will be back. We need more members like Bean. He is very passionate about his ideas, and THIS hobby. He is not afraid to post his views, good or bad.It can only benifit ALL of us in the long run. It does seem that his passion does get him in trouble from time to time though...........hmmmmm.

As for the whole "Patent" issue.........I dont recall Bean or myself ever saying anything about financial restitution or patents or anything like that. To date I have made exactly $ 0. on this. UNLIKE all of the other overflow gimics out there!
Like Bean..........the original intent was only to help anyone who need additional ideas, on how to SAFELY, quiet down ther tanks, after all other resources have been used. This method has been widely used and proven now, with very good results. I get "thank you" P.M.s weekly...........that is enough for me!

In the end............lets all not forget...........
We are "just" dealing with a "fish tank" here. Just a hobby, in which I would choose to spend time with my family............WAY above this silly "fish tank".

Later....................Herbie

P.S............Check out my Sig. I have since found better/simpler ways to keep my tank silent!

Unread 02/09/2008, 10:26 PM   #94
GuySmilie
Premium Member

New way?!
Sumpless was the original way.

Unread 02/12/2008, 06:29 PM   #95
H20ENG
Pro builder/aquarist hack

Herbie,
I was in no way attacking you, simply being sarcastic. I should have mentioned so and apologize. In no way was I trying to damage your good name, just making light of all of kimoyos posts.

I do appreciate that you posted your DIY for all, as many of us do. I also did NOT claim you were NOT "a true hobbyist and help people for free". I'm glad your design made you famous, I was simply pointing out that there are others out there.

No harm meant to you personally.

Unread 02/12/2008, 09:49 PM   #96
MeuserReef
Welcome to the next level

Quote:
Originally posted by H20ENG
Herbie,
I was in no way attacking you, simply being sarcastic. I should have mentioned so and apologize. In no way was I trying to damage your good name, just making light of all of kimoyos posts.

I do appreciate that you posted your DIY for all, as many of us do. I also did NOT claim you were NOT "a true hobbyist and help people for free". I'm glad your design made you famous, I was simply pointing out that there are others out there.

No harm meant to you personally.
Nice to see a good example of having some class here. Well done H20ENG.

Herbie, thanks for the link and for taking the time to document. My "patent" comment earlier in this thread was just my class-LESS way of saying that a good idea is a good idea,... PERIOD... regardless of who "invinted" it. All of us can benefit from a good idea/solution without knowing (or really caring) who came up with it originally. I didnt really see (or read) that Bean was trying to "steal your thunder" by taking credit for the concept, he was just posting his way of applying the concept to his tank.

I just bought a new tank that will be setup using this type of overflow. After this thread, and the thread you started, I know exactly how Im going to build it!

Too bad this seems to be the "Farewell BeanAnimal" thread. I hope the mods let him back on. His knowledge was an asset to RC.

-MR

Current Tank Info: tankless
Unread 02/13/2008, 02:16 AM   #97
ThrowinRoost89
Registered Member

im running the herbie method on my 120 with 2 1in drains and 2 1in emergency drains drilled in the back of the overflows. im completely happy with it.

but, *** does beans 3rd drain do with the airline?

Current Tank Info: 120g reef...... WITH A TANG IN IT!!!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Unread 02/13/2008, 02:24 AM   #98
Siffy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThrowinRoost89
but, what does beans 3rd drain do with the airline?
It acts as a regular Durso preventing any siphoning (that would be broken because the return pump cannot keep up) and "gurgling" when everything is normal. When the main siphon is slowed by either obstruction or incorrect adjustment the water level raises to the point the airline is blocked and a siphon is started to quickly drop the level and prevent a tank overflow.

Under normal operation it handles a very small portion of the water drained. It's what makes Bean's method easier to "dial in" than Herbie's as the emergency overflow should never see water unless there's an actual emergency.

Unread 02/13/2008, 02:28 AM   #99
ThrowinRoost89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Siffy
It acts as a regular Durso preventing any siphoning (that would be broken because the return pump cannot keep up) and "gurgling" when everything is normal. When the main siphon is slowed by either obstruction or incorrect adjustment the water level raises to the point the airline is blocked and a siphon is started to quickly drop the level and prevent a tank overflow.

Under normal operation it handles a very small portion of the water drained. It's what makes Bean's method easier to "dial in" than Herbie's as the emergency overflow should never see water unless there's an actual emergency.

isnt that the point of the emergency drain?

i personally dont see the need for 3, the 2ndary drain will handle the flow if the primary drain gets clogged.

Current Tank Info: 120g reef...... WITH A TANG IN IT!!!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Last edited by ThrowinRoost89; 02/13/2008 at 02:35 AM.
Unread 02/13/2008, 02:39 AM   #100
Siffy
Registered Member

Somewhat. Except (I believe) Bean didn't want the emergency drain to have water in it at all except in an emergency, to increase the viability of the emergency drain when it is actually needed. Having it a Durso rather than just an upturned 90 makes its operation quieter, and in most cases it will be able to handle the return pump's output unless obstructed. The emergency drain in this scenario is a worst case last chance of prevention.

Current Tank Info: 29g Mixed Reef with Metal Halide
Closed Thread