Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/16/2014, 02:47 AM   #101
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Can you describe the issue with the sps?
A lot of them are browned out and the tissue is receding on some of them. 1/3rd of them are completely fine though and its only the SPS. My red dragon had some STN a few weeks ago but it stopped and now is just covered in brown algae where it receded.

Not sure how anything is browning out with such low nutrients and high lighting though. Im thinking of sending in a water sample to triton to see if anything is really off. I have the red sea coral colors kit and cant seem to get accurate results from it. It's saying my iodine is off the charts and that my potassium is inexistent. Red Sea is sending me new reagents soon so I will test again with the new ones.

tmantaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2014, 10:15 AM   #102
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmantaylor18 View Post
A lot of them are browned out and the tissue is receding on some of them. 1/3rd of them are completely fine though and its only the SPS. My red dragon had some STN a few weeks ago but it stopped and now is just covered in brown algae where it receded.

Not sure how anything is browning out with such low nutrients and high lighting though. Im thinking of sending in a water sample to triton to see if anything is really off. I have the red sea coral colors kit and cant seem to get accurate results from it. It's saying my iodine is off the charts and that my potassium is inexistent. Red Sea is sending me new reagents soon so I will test again with the new ones.
Your tank is fairly new...but not as newly setup as mine. My Acros are doing pretty well...

So; ensure you have doubled checked Ca, Mg, Alk, and Salinity with a different set of test kits.

Not sure what your Alk level is, but try and keep it lower than 8dKH since you are running a small amount of Pellets.

Also, ensure there are no pests like AEFW and Redbugs.

Lastly, if running any GAC or GFO ensure you are not over using too much.

If all that works out, then simply keep up the water changes, and run around 1/5 BRS recommended GAC.

The brown SPS will colour up...on some systems it just take a while longer for conditions to be optimal for good SPS colours.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2014, 04:12 PM   #103
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

I got all new test kits for Ca, Mg, and KH and tested them against the old ones. (Salifert) I always calibrate my refractometer with the calibration fluid. Maybe I'll take in a water sample to the LFS to have them go over these.

I took the bp reactor offline for now since I have such low nutrients anyways. I may bring them back on if I can manage to bring up the nutrients. My alk is at 8 right now. Do you think I should bring it down to 7.5?

I've had red bugs before and know those are not an issue at this point. I also haven't seen any aefw.

Im not running carbon or gfo right now since I have no detectable p04 as tested with salifert and hanna meter.

I have noticed that my red milli always has mesenterial filaments showing.

Quote:
Your tank is fairly new...but not as newly setup as mine. My Acros are doing pretty well...

So; ensure you have doubled checked Ca, Mg, Alk, and Salinity with a different set of test kits.

Not sure what your Alk level is, but try and keep it lower than 8dKH since you are running a small amount of Pellets.

Also, ensure there are no pests like AEFW and Redbugs.

Lastly, if running any GAC or GFO ensure you are not over using too much.

If all that works out, then simply keep up the water changes, and run around 1/5 BRS recommended GAC.

The brown SPS will colour up...on some systems it just take a while longer for conditions to be optimal for good SPS colours.

Last edited by tmantaylor18; 11/16/2014 at 04:55 PM.
Unread 11/17/2014, 10:56 AM   #104
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
I have noticed that my red milli always has mesenterial filaments showing.
Sounds like you have everything in order. Just have the Salinity checked out in case the calibration solution is at fault.

The mesenterial filaments being out most of the time suggests irritation. Only time I have seen them out on my Millepora is after feeding coral foods or my Trochus snails spawning.

Most other times people say mesenterial filaments are a sign of stress.

Since the Red Dragon has shown improvement, maybe things are on the mend. If there is no significant recovery after another week or two, I'd be inclined to run a SMALL amount of GAC.

Unread 11/17/2014, 04:19 PM   #105
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds like you have everything in order. Just have the Salinity checked out in case the calibration solution is at fault.

The mesenterial filaments being out most of the time suggests irritation. Only time I have seen them out on my Millepora is after feeding coral foods or my Trochus snails spawning.

Most other times people say mesenterial filaments are a sign of stress.

Since the Red Dragon has shown improvement, maybe things are on the mend. If there is no significant recovery after another week or two, I'd be inclined to run a SMALL amount of GAC.
Thanks for the suggestions Sahin. Im going to send a water sample off to triton to see whats going on. I'll update the thread once i get the results.

Unread 11/19/2014, 01:32 AM   #106
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Found my flame angel nipping at the red milli that has been looking pretty beat up. Looks like I found part of the problem.

My sunset milli has some really nice looking growth though which is good.

Think I'm going to remove the flame angel and my flame hawk tomorrow. The hawk fish has been been super aggressive to all of my fish.

I'm going to hit up a friend that can import Fish from Hawaii. Pretty sure I can grab a black tang and other nice fish from him.

Unread 11/20/2014, 03:55 AM   #107
Benar
Registered Member

My sps took off the moment I removed my majestic angel :-( sad, loved that fish

Benar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2015, 12:35 AM   #108
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Looks like Im just at the 6 month mark now. Things are finally stabilizing and the SPS are starting to color back up. I am doing bi-weekly water changes of 20% right now and currently not dosing alkalinity and calcium. Levels have been stable at 8dKH, 470 Ca, 1400 Mg for about 2 months now.

Unread 01/15/2015, 02:11 AM   #109
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

Nice pics Taylor what camera are you using? Quality looks great and so does the reef but Where's the stick shots =)..

280g radium lit sps flat living in my garage rent free.

Current Tank Info: 105g SPS dominant euro braced powered by 4 ecotech pumps and lit by an ATI powermodule controlled by a reef angel =).
Dapg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2015, 12:57 PM   #110
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapg8gt View Post
Nice pics Taylor what camera are you using? Quality looks great and so does the reef but Where's the stick shots =)..

Thanks Daniel. The camera is a t2i I believe. I just borrowed it from my brother for these shots. I wasn't able to get any decent Sps shots but should have access to it again soon. I'll upload some crappy iphone shots later too.

Unread 01/16/2015, 02:43 PM   #111
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Here are some poor iPhone shots from the other day. Im going to try and get my hands on another DSLR soon.

Recovered red dragon that is looking super deep red now. I have this pretty low down with good flow

ORA blue tort that almost didn't make it

pink lemonade that had zero polyp extension and was completely browned out.

random reef raft piece I grabbed during a sale about 9 months ago. It's slowly looking better but the polyps used to be red/purple.

Icefire is somewhat new and has retained its color. I slowly moved it up to one of the highest spots. Hoping to get the pure white with blue tips.

reef raft sunset milli that has taken off. To the right is a tiny SSC frag that I got $5 during a sale. This piece has started to develop color the last week or so.

Unread 01/16/2015, 02:49 PM   #112
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Also did an extensive water change last weekend to get all of the detritus out of my refugium. I haven't had great luck with growing chaeto but this red gracilaria grows crazy fast.

I keep a bunch of live rock and live rock rubble in my refugium. It's mostly hidden by the macro algae. I wonder if removing these from the water has any effect on all the sponges in the rock.

all cleaned up

Unread 01/16/2015, 03:46 PM   #113
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Corals are looking pretty nice now. Keep doing what you are doing, hopefully it will just get better and better from here on.

Unread 01/16/2015, 04:40 PM   #114
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

Corals are looking great man I may need to hit you up for a small starter piece of the red algae once I set up the big fuge on the frag tank. ..

And on the sponges in your LR I do believe it's best to keep them submerged at all times, I've always read that sponges die when air gets inside of them..

Current Tank Info: 105g SPS dominant euro braced powered by 4 ecotech pumps and lit by an ATI powermodule controlled by a reef angel =).
Unread 01/16/2015, 04:41 PM   #115
guc32
Registered Member

Looking good Taylor. Would like to stop by one day and see your tank.

Been mia from reefing. Slowly starting to get back into it.

guc32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2015, 05:00 PM   #116
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Quote:
Corals are looking pretty nice now. Keep doing what you are doing, hopefully it will just get better and better from here on.
thanks Sahin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapg8gt View Post
Corals are looking great man I may need to hit you up for a small starter piece of the red algae once I set up the big fuge on the frag tank. ..

And on the sponges in your LR I do believe it's best to keep them submerged at all times, I've always read that sponges die when air gets inside of them..
I'll give you a few nice sized pieces. I also have two kinds of chaeto that dont really grow for me.

I've heard that about sponges too but everytime I take them out they're full of sponges still. Maybe just reproducing fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guc32 View Post
Looking good Taylor. Would like to stop by one day and see your tank.

Been mia from reefing. Slowly starting to get back into it.
Yi-Woei right? (probably spelled wrong)

Did you break everything down? You're welcome to come by any time. I have a ton of zoas if you want some help getting started back up.

Unread 01/16/2015, 06:12 PM   #117
markalot

Looking good, nice to see everything coloring up. I'm coming from a brownout as well ans everything is coloring back except my millis, which are lagging behind.

Unread 01/16/2015, 06:36 PM   #118
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Looking good, nice to see everything coloring up. I'm coming from a brownout as well ans everything is coloring back except my millis, which are lagging behind.
What caused your brownout? That sunset was the first to show some decent color and now my bubblegum is starting to look better. Do you have a build thread?

Unread 01/16/2015, 06:42 PM   #119
markalot

Quote:
What caused your brownout? That sunset was the first to show some decent color and now my bubblegum is starting to look better. Do you have a build thread?
Yep, in my signature. I had a Phosphate spike which resulted in a KH spike that I did not correct fast enough. Silly mistake.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2419443

Unread 01/16/2015, 08:30 PM   #120
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Yep, in my signature. I had a Phosphate spike which resulted in a KH spike that I did not correct fast enough. Silly mistake.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2419443

Went ahead and skimmed through the thread. Great looking tank! You liking the T5s over LED?

Unread 01/17/2015, 11:13 PM   #121
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Sunny Delights mixed with Rastas and Tubs

Red Dragon

Sunset Milli

Icefire Echinata

SSC nub

Unread 01/17/2015, 11:20 PM   #122
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Tyree Purple Unknown

Pink Lemonade

ORA Blue Tort

Unread 01/17/2015, 11:24 PM   #123
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Green Slimmer

Raspberry Sarmentosa

This is a recovering Pearl Berry

Bubblegum Milli

Unread 01/18/2015, 11:03 PM   #124
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

no idea what this piece is but the coloring/swirling looks really cool. Anyone know what it is?

Unread 01/19/2015, 02:09 AM   #125
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

That's a super nice piece it's definitely different.

Looks like a grafted acro search green fluorescent protein infection or green jacket should point you to some corals that look similar or lead you to a possible ID.

The rest of the sps are looking good also looks like the tank is getting into its groove.