Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2018, 06:14 PM   #1
KTwo
Registered Member

Recurring Time Investment

You know what I think would help me and a lot of other 'I think I want a saltwater tank...' type people would be some idea of the recurring time investment required to maintain a tank.

What things am I doing everyday and how long does it take?

What things am I doing every week and how long does it take?

Bi-weekly? Monthly?

I think most people realize that in the beginning few months that it's a fair amount of work that differs for everyone. But having a good idea of what your signing up on a long term, recurring basis could be a potential eye opener.

-K2

KTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 06:42 PM   #2
Reef noob_
Registered Member

Recurring Time Investment

Here’s a rough estimate for me, erring on the long side for all times.

Every day:
Feed fish—-> 30 seconds (5-10 minutes if I watch)
Clean glass (magnet)—-> 1 minute

Every 2 days:
Clean filter sock—-> 2 minutes

Every week (weekend)
Clean skimmer—-> 5-10 minutes
Check all equipment—> 10 minutes
Fill ATO reservoir—-> 2 minutes

Every month
Replace GFO—-> 5 minutes
Remove chaeto—-> 10 minutes

Every 3 months
Water change—-> 30 min - 1 hr.

I might be missing something but that’s what’s coming to mind right now. Really not bad at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Build in progress http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2528685
90 gallon DT, 65 Gallon Fuge, Chinese LEDs, LPS and Soft coral reef
Reef noob_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 08:39 PM   #3
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTwo View Post
...having a good idea of what your signing up on a long term, recurring basis could be a potential eye opener.

-K2
stony coral growing machine with metal halides = 1200 to 1500 KWH per month. High water mark set June 2012, 1817 KWH.

Fish only tank now with T5's = 309 KWH in January. In Michigan. with the furnace on all the time.

HTH

I know you asked time. I believe it's money more than time that chases people out.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 08:02 AM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Time spent is usually equal to output quality.
Mixed reefs required attention, but time is irrelevant to the serious hobbists.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 11:12 AM   #5
KTwo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef noob_ View Post
Here’s a rough estimate for me, erring on the long side for all times.

I might be missing something but that’s what’s coming to mind right now. Really not bad at all.
Thanks. Doesn't seem unreasonable. Does any of that include time spent cleaning equipment/fighting salt creep/etc?

Unread 02/17/2018, 11:17 AM   #6
KTwo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post
stony coral growing machine with metal halides = 1200 to 1500 KWH per month. High water mark set June 2012, 1817 KWH.

Fish only tank now with T5's = 309 KWH in January. In Michigan. with the furnace on all the time.

HTH

I know you asked time. I believe it's money more than time that chases people out.
True - money is not infinite. Does the 309 KWH in Michigan include the furnace? Seems to low to include the furnace. I just checked my latest electric bill - 700 kwh, with a gas furnace. In Maryland. Which isn't as cold as Michigan but has been a cold year for us.

Unread 02/17/2018, 11:20 AM   #7
KTwo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Agreed.

However, not having a reasonable understanding for Input(x) = Quality(y) can significantly skew your enjoyment. If I think I'm going to maintain an established 100g reef tank with only 20 minutes a week to find that it's 60 minutes a day will produce that expectation skew.

Just trying to set my expectations should I decide to take the plunge.

Unread 02/17/2018, 11:27 AM   #8
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

This is kind of a minimum for my mixed reef to keep it nice looking. I'm rounding up to the nearest 5min increment. The more time you put in to a mixed reef, the better it looks. I copied reef_noob's format.

Every day:
Feed fish—-> 5 minutes to thaw frozen food and feed (10 minutes if I watch)

Every evening
Enjoy watching the tank -> 30 minutes

Every 2 days:
Change mesh sock -> 10 minutes (remove, replace, wipe up water) (if I'm using them)

Every week (weekend)
Clean skimmer—-> 10 minutes
Check all equipment—> 10 minutes
Clean glass -> 5 minutes
10% Water change -> 20 minutes (although I have the genesis auto change system now so it takes no time)
Test for Alk & Calc -> 10 minutes
Make new RO & Salt water -> 20 minutes (includes testing for chlorine breakthrough)

Every month
Replace GFO—-> 10 minutes

Every 6 months
Remove, dismantle and clean all pumps -> 1hr

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 07:52 AM   #9
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Does the 309 KWH in Michigan include the furnace?..
Yes.

1800 SF, 2 story.

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:56 AM   #10
KTwo
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes.

1800 SF, 2 story.
Now I'm jealous. You're probably paying less than 10.5 cents/kwh to boot!

Unread 02/18/2018, 01:45 PM   #11
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Now I'm jealous. You're probably paying less than 10.5 cents/kwh to boot!
sort of.

the electricity part of my bill was $29.01, so just over 9 cents per.

after I pay for the wires to get it here and all the knuckleheads that didn't plan on needing electricity when they quit working, plus all the "extra nonsense", it's 18¢.

I'm not complaining of the cost, as I understand it can be more in other parts of the country/world. but the add ons seem excessive.

When the pendulum swings back towards reefing those numbers will climb back up again. Kept the halides.

Unread 02/19/2018, 09:53 AM   #12
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Ok, your right, I have a 70g mixed reef, six fish, 3 shrimps, 50 softies and LPS, 4 SPS, 2 clams.

15 minutes a day for top off, cleaning glass and manual dose and feeding
2 hours every Saturday for water change, pump cleaning, and testing and recording.
1 hour monthly to make water.
2 weeks every 5 years for a rebuild.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 10:36 AM   #13
gonereefing654
Registered Member

I had bought my first tank used. Almost a full setup. It came with mh lights and a chiller. I was new to the hobby so of course I ran my light 12 hours a day (I’m sure the chiller was running that long also) I had my chiller on the stand. My first 2 month electric bill was almost $200 higher. So of course I told my wife she must be running the central air to much and I quietly up graded my lights to led lol.

gonereefing654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 01:12 PM   #14
KTwo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonereefing654 View Post
I had bought my first tank used. Almost a full setup. It came with mh lights and a chiller. I was new to the hobby so of course I ran my light 12 hours a day (I’m sure the chiller was running that long also) I had my chiller on the stand. My first 2 month electric bill was almost $200 higher. So of course I told my wife she must be running the central air to much and I quietly up graded my lights to led lol.
Nice recovery!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Unread 02/19/2018, 01:14 PM   #15
KTwo
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, your right, I have a 70g mixed reef, six fish, 3 shrimps, 50 softies and LPS, 4 SPS, 2 clams.

15 minutes a day for top off, cleaning glass and manual dose and feeding
2 hours every Saturday for water change, pump cleaning, and testing and recording.
1 hour monthly to make water.
2 weeks every 5 years for a rebuild.
I like the 'two weeks every 5 years to rebuild'. So true of many hobbies I'm sure.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Unread 02/19/2018, 05:56 PM   #16
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I do a 15 gallon, water change every week, clean the skimmer cup & do 6 separate water tests in an hour.
What you don't know is I did maintenance for almost 2 years & learned a few shortcuts for time.
Clean glass 2-3 times a week @ 10 minutes a clip.
5-20 minutes once a month to change GFO, clean 4 power heads, a few hrs twice a yr, refill calcium reactor 30 minutes when needed, once a yr.
Refill co2 tank every 18 months 1 hr with a 40 min. drive time to & fro.
I could go on but the bigger you get the more you work.

Unread 02/19/2018, 06:27 PM   #17
HBtank
Premium Member

I am simply going to say:

Daily: 15-30 min
Weekly: 1 hour
Monthly: 2 hours
Yearly: A weekend (16 hours)

This are independent of eachother and simple routine maintenance, not upgrades, researching and building, which can suck up vasts amounts of time... but is part of the fun The weekend every year is simply some major maintenance project that is unavoidable (leaky X etc..)

I would say large systems easily double our quadruple this...

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 11:29 PM   #18
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
You know what I think would help me and a lot of other 'I think I want a saltwater tank...' type people would be some idea of the recurring time investment required to maintain a tank.

What things am I doing everyday and how long does it take?

What things am I doing every week and how long does it take?

Bi-weekly? Monthly?

I think most people realize that in the beginning few months that it's a fair amount of work that differs for everyone. But having a good idea of what your signing up on a long term, recurring basis could be a potential eye opener.

-K2
Hi! Great post by the way! Here is my schedule:

Daily:. Feed Mysis twice a day, observe all fish for health issues etc, empty skimmer if needed, clean glass...I am OCD about clean glass LOL, and add to sheets of seaweed to grazers.

Twice a week:. Change filter socs, and fill 10 gallon ATO container.

Once a week:. Mix saltwater and do 10% water change, run RODI in 32 gallon brute trash can.

Once a month:. Clean MP40, take apart and clean all pumps, and skimmer.

I am sure I am forgetting stuff....but that is most of it. Over the years this has worked for me. I don't look at this as a chore though. I feel that by putting in a little work...it pays off in the end with a healthy tank and healthy livestock.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 10:55 AM   #19
big_aug
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes.

1800 SF, 2 story.
Quote:
Yes.

1800 SF, 2 story.

There's no way. I have nothing but a refrigerator, PC, and a few LED lightbulbs in my 900sqft condo. I pulled my electric bills when I read this just to see. I use 300+ kwh a month sometimes in the summer when my usage is lowest.

big_aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 10:57 AM   #20
big_aug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_aug View Post
There's no way. I have nothing but a refrigerator, PC, and a few LED lightbulbs in my 900sqft condo. I pulled my electric bills when I read this just to see. I use 300+ kwh a month sometimes in the summer when my usage is lowest.
No aquarium yet. I'm just researching. Theres no way you're running an 1800sqft house with an aquarium and using less electricity than me. I literally have four total rooms.

big_aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 03:42 PM   #21
mitch91175
Premium Member

Quote:
Preach uncle99! I work from home and I am always doing something fish related (I say fish related because it doesn't always directly affect the DT).

I am preparing for adding more SPS to my setup so I can trying to calculate depletions of ALK/CAL/MAG so I can setup my dosing regiment properly. I measure ALK multiple times per day right now to try to get it dialed in. Once I have a good number of ml/hour to dose, I will start doing with my doser and measure once per day just to make sure that everything is in line with what I want to keep my reef. Then will repeat the cycle for CAL/MAG. I know I can do them at once, but makes me better understand MAG affects on ALK/CAL doing it this way I think. My MAG is holding steady right now.

With all that said, I still am learning everyday something new. Again, not that it is always something that directly affects the DT in it current state, just learning more daily.

My plan is to have a thriving mixed reef. Wish it could happen over night, but we all know how that goes.

mitch91175 is offline   Reply With Quote