Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2018, 03:09 AM   #1
Valentini89
Registered Member

Do you shop at your LFS or online more?

Personally, I hit up the LFS for most items. Unless I can find it alot cheaper online. I like supporting local business. I have only ever ordered from Amazon, Marine Depot and saltwaterfish.com for aquarium needs.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 03:19 AM   #2
steved350
Registered Member

It depends on what I’m looking for. I have one store that I frequent the most locally for livestock and things I know he will give me a good deal on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unread 02/19/2018, 05:19 AM   #3
kevin j.
Registered Member

For dry goods usually online. Live stock locally.

kevin j. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 05:52 AM   #4
alton
Registered Member

For dry goods and equipment especially if it is under map pricing LFS, if something goes wrong my LFS will help with warranty, online stores make you fight with manufacture. If they do not carry or there is no map pricing then BRS. Fish in the past I bought most from LFS, but in the last two years that has reversed with most buys coming online. All of my LFS have gone to only getting in meat and potato's fish / same ole stuff.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 06:16 AM   #5
Cliving1
Registered Member

Lfs definitely. Never bought live fish or coral online

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 06:40 AM   #6
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

depends on what I need, most of the LFS up here dont carry what I need for dry goods or if they do it's at 3x the online price. corals and fishes I go local, especially other reefers for corals and frags but surprisingly there are several local fish places that have not the worst price on corals, and theres one semi-local store that I have a great swap history with i'll trade in frags for other stuff.

Unread 02/19/2018, 09:31 AM   #7
jacksonpt
Registered Member

LFS for most things, especially live things. I'll occasionally trade with local reefers, but most live goods come from my LFS.

Dry goods go either way. If it's something I can get through my LFS and I don't have an immediate need for (LFS is 90 minutes away, so I can't just run across town for something), I'll go through my LFS. If it something they don't carry or I need more urgently/quickly, I usually look to Amazon or BRS.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 09:32 AM   #8
anthonys51
Registered Member.

If we don’t support the lfs they will be gone before you no it. I like looking at the fish before I buy it. Like having the product only 15 mins away instead of waiting overnight. If your lfs doesn’t have a Fish ask him to get it. Don’t get me wrong if your lfs isn’t a good one don’t support it but if it’s a good one please do

We all complain about the rich getting richer but then we buy from Amazon to save 5 bucks. Things will only get worse. This isn’t a political post. Just support your local businesses. It’s so much better for the local economy even if it cost a little more

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 10:52 AM   #9
gonereefing654
Registered Member

I buy my fish, fish food, corals, salt and few other things at my lfs. I buy most dry goods like carbon gfo cal/alk from BRS.
I totally agree that even if it cost a little my we should be supporting our local businesses it’s just not possible for them to carry everything and ever brand.

gonereefing654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 10:55 AM   #10
GQuinn
Registered Member

When your only local pet store is Petco you have to buy more online. I have to drive almost an hour one way to a decent store.

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 10:59 AM   #11
anthonys51
Registered Member.

I understand that. No judgement here Just saying if possible we should all do our part.

Unread 02/19/2018, 11:22 AM   #12
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

LFS for livestock only....nothing but trouble for online livestock.....too much travel equals too stressed out fish......unless I had no choice.....on line for all else...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 11:50 AM   #13
homer1475
Registered Member

Livestock and some dry goods I get from the LFS, anything else comes online. Even if it's just a few bucks more, I support my LFS because if we don't, they won't be around too much longer. Besides a good repertoire with your LFS can carry it's weight in gold when all of a sudden you need to rehome your fish or corals because your tank busted or something.

I am all for buying local, but when your LFS is a 2 hour drive, it's more convenient to buy online.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 12:10 PM   #14
HBtank
Premium Member

Both. Even some "good" LFS can't resist marking some items up 50%+, sitting there for years, dusty on their shelves. Big ticket items are price controlled or they will match, but I can't be bothered being nickled and dimed for small dry goods etc.. But of course, they still get 10% of that business because of "emergency".

Same for livestock. I have had very good experiences with LA/DD (0 deaths), and the LFS is hit or miss for specific fish, even with special orders. Planned rarer orders are usually on-line, impulse or "common" fish like my Foxface are at the LFS.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 03:54 PM   #15
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Both here as well. Almost all dry/frozen online; about 75% of live on line. Whether I buy locally or not, I figure shipping stress is about the same. LFS where I am are 50-100% higher than online; in a few cases much more. But, I do still like to go to the LFS so I feel it is important to support them.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 04:36 PM   #16
NYCBOB
Registered Member

if the lfs has what i want, then will try to support lfs. if its an expensive fish, then liveaquaria bc of the guarantee.

NYCBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 09:31 PM   #17
Mknuwet
Registered Member

Since I shop for more “rare” or expensive fish, I tend to go online or my buddies who have diver contacts.. for more basic stuff I get at one of my lfs

Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 09:46 PM   #18
lionfish300
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQuinn View Post
When your only local pet store is Petco you have to buy more online. I have to drive almost an hour one way to a decent store.
Same here

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 01:37 AM   #19
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

I try to support my LFSs as much as possible. I buy online when the pricing is a lot better or the LFS does not have what I want.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.

Last edited by DesertReefT4r; 02/20/2018 at 09:57 PM.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 07:21 AM   #20
rogersb
Registered Member

For more finicky fish I like to get them in person. See that they are eating and healthy. Most of my coral I get in person for the same reason plus then I won't get fooled with a photshopped piece.

rogersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 08:31 AM   #21
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

I buy nearly all my fish online and have for the past 19 years. LFS don't get what I want or if they do they want a absurd price by comparison.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 03:27 PM   #22
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
I buy nearly all my fish online and have for the past 19 years. LFS don't get what I want or if they do they want a absurd price by comparison.
The price variability is wonky sometimes, and not always as clear cut as local versus online. I paid $100 for a 5" adult emperor angel online. Other online places wanted $300 and my LFS $400. Similar story with a sargassum trigger, $150 online, $200 at one LFS, $400 at the other.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 07:59 PM   #23
marinelife
Registered Member

I buy most of my supplies online, fish and coral both online and kinda local. We really do not have any good placed without driving an hour or more. So far my local Petco has not been too bad and I have several fish from them that are doing great!

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 08:02 PM   #24
anthonys51
Registered Member.

Msybe I am just lucky because my lfs beats live aquaria prices by a lot And they get common and rare fish.

Unread 02/20/2018, 08:42 PM   #25
Reefpuck
Registered Member

I buy almost all drygoods online (BRS). All corals have been either a lfs or local reefer...much more affordable imo than ordering corals online. Order fish online if I can't find what I'm looking for locally.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote