Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/06/2003, 04:15 PM   #51
cratylus
Registered Member

Day Nine Update:

It's been a few days since I reported. I've continued the same regimen with the ginger supplement. Still no sign of the ich returning. No sign of problems with any of my fish or inverts.

Either the ginger is working wonders or the ich went away on its own (or it's in the middle of its reproductive cycle and waiting to return with a vengeance).

Anyone want to try the clownfish experiment proffered by john f?

Unread 05/06/2003, 06:49 PM   #52
musicsmaker
Premium Member

Re: Possible New Cure for Ick?

Quote:
Originally posted by cratylus
I tried something a bit unorthodox. I added ¼ tsp. of ginger to my normal homemade fish food concoction (don't ask why, you'll think I'm crazy).
I'm suprised nobody asked this already. What made you decide to try this?

Unread 05/07/2003, 05:50 PM   #53
cratylus
Registered Member

Musicsmaker,

If you read one of my other posts, I give some of my thoughts on that.

Unread 05/09/2003, 11:00 AM   #54
reefer240
Registered Member

What, no update since the 6th? I hope this is still working for you. I'm wondering if I might be able to make this work for my foxface. It won't eat anything meaty, but maybe I could soak the nori in puree of ginger or something...you think?

Current Tank Info: 92 gal corner; wet/dry; CSL 175 skimmer; CC/live sand; ~80 lbs LR; 250 W MH, 10,000 K; 2- 65 W Actinics.
reefer240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2003, 04:16 PM   #55
cratylus
Registered Member

Day 12 Update:

I've continued with the ginger supplement and there is absolutely no sign of ich on anyone. I'm 99% convinced at this point that it is gone! No ill effects on my corals or my other inverts. Various water tests (pH, SG, Temp, Ca, ) read normal (for my tank).

Was it the ginger? I don't know. Will it work for your Foxface? Again, I don't know. It appears to have worked for me. It might be worth a try.

Unread 05/09/2003, 04:34 PM   #56
berger034
Registered Member

hey i was reading the post about this subject. i was wondering about someone posting that ich comes back with a vengence. is this true that the ich will go away and just come back harder then ever. i think this is what killed my cow but my lion and my angler are not affected.
whats up

berger034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2003, 10:28 PM   #57
chicki
Premium Member

Interesting thread. There could be something to this? or maybe it's like the garlic treatment...seems to work for some and doesn't help others one iota.
I'm experimenting with adding Vit C to one of my tanks right now. My tang shows up with a few dots every once in awhile.
I may be switching to ginger Wonder if powdered ginger in the can would be the same??

Current Tank Info: 180 is a reef/fish tank, 7' (220)is a softie/fish, and the 159is a fowlr, 33 hex with jawfish etc., 180 gal/frontosa tank, new 6' bowfront with???
chicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2003, 10:42 PM   #58
LA-Lawman
Registered Member

you should continue for 30 days.... if u can prevent spores from potting on the fish. then u might actual beat it without having to remove every fish in the tank....

keep us posted

Current Tank Info: 180g AGA RR, 3 250w DE 14k , 2 160w VHO actinics, ATI BM250 skimmer,RM media reactor, LifeReef LCR-1 CaRX
LA-Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2003, 12:52 AM   #59
mountainbiker619
Registered Member

cratylus,

Is the ginger making your skimmer to crazy?

berger034,

"is this true that the ich will go away and just come back harder then ever"

I have a feeling that who ever made that comment does not understand the life cycle of Ick. During the time it appears to have gone away is actually the second stage of the life cycle. During this stage is has removed it self from the host (fish) and it is multipling. Once it is done multipling, then it will find another host to attach to.

mountainbiker619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2003, 11:43 AM   #60
melev
Moved On

cratylus, what's the latest info on your ginger cure?

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2003, 11:54 AM   #61
berger034
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mountainbiker619
cratylus,

Is the ginger making your skimmer to crazy?

berger034,

"is this true that the ich will go away and just come back harder then ever"

I have a feeling that who ever made that comment does not understand the life cycle of Ick. During the time it appears to have gone away is actually the second stage of the life cycle. During this stage is has removed it self from the host (fish) and it is multipling. Once it is done multipling, then it will find another host to attach to.
I dont understand the lifecycle of ich, thats why i asked the question.... duh! but you have answered my question. SD rules.

berger034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2003, 09:53 PM   #62
cratylus
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Day 24 Update:

Sorry for the length of time since my last posting. Been extremely busy with some other projects (like replacing the top on my convertible!). Anyway, I've continued the ginger usage as before. Still no ick on the Hog, the Damsel, or the Goby. There are still no apparent ill effects on the corals or other inverts.

By the way, I'm running skimmerless right now so I don't know what the ginger would do to a skimmer.

I am trying another little experiment. Tonight I got a Purple Tang from the owner of a LFS. It was covered in ich when I saw it in one of his tanks. He said he was getting ready to euthanize it because it was such bad condition (it is in BAD shape). I offered to take it off his hands (at no charge of course). I told him about a little experiment I wanted to run and that I would give him $20 for the fish if I was able to cure it. If the fish died from the ich, I would owe him nothing. I'm a regular customer who has built up a good relationship with him over the past few years so he agreed. I now have the tang in my 29 gallon quarantine tank. I gave him a dose of my ginger-laden food tonight. I'm hoping to get a better idea of whether or not the ginger has any real measureable effect on severe cases of ich. Wish me luck.

Unread 05/21/2003, 10:01 PM   #63
vester_72
Registered Member

please make sure to update us if you can on the Tang.

good luck - I hope you can save it!

vester_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2003, 10:12 PM   #64
macg
Registered Member

oh boy, this should be exciting. i'm an avid fan of "alternative" ich treatments and fortunately, they have worked wonders for me (garlic, ginger treatments).

i have had a yellow and sailfin tang show signs of ich. i treated immediately with a combination of floating crushed cloves of garlic and mixing ginger with my homemade fish food. 3 days and bye bye ich.

macg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2003, 10:18 PM   #65
justletmein
Premium Member

cratylus, I just want to know who that is in your avatar!

justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2003, 10:25 PM   #66
melev
Moved On

I hope to read good news with your new patient. Please keep us updated.

Unread 05/21/2003, 10:29 PM   #67
emull
Registered Member

Always looking for something new too. Hope all goes well.

Current Tank Info: 92 gallon corner 120 lbs Lr 150 lbs live SD sand, aquac ev 180 W/ mag 7, 20 gallon sump
emull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2003, 06:45 AM   #68
bigevill1
Big and Evil

just tagging along

bigevill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2003, 08:13 AM   #69
porky
CORA President

Thumbs up Good Luck!

Good luck Cratylus

Current Tank Info: 125 AGA, Large Polyp Stonies dominate! Followed by soft corals and clams.
porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2003, 08:19 AM   #70
Holyreefer
Octopus Extreme 300 Skimr

Cratylus
Good Luck man I hope you save that Tang and shut all of those "Haters Up"

Personally I have never had ick but if i ever did i would be willing to try your method!

Also what is you complete live stock i noticed the Hog, the Damsel and the Goby, but do you have any more?

Current Tank Info: GYRE 150,Seaswirl 1.5, Barcuda Pump, Custom LED system, Extreme Reef Octopus 300 Protein Skimmer, 80 watt Aqua UV, Korallin BioDenitrator Nitrate, Hydor Magnum 8 Powerheads
Holyreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2003, 11:30 AM   #71
DNA
Registered Member

Anyone know the mortality rate for ick or how long it takes to cure on it's own?

If everyone with SARS would drink Pepsi it's very likely they'd recover. See my point?

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2003, 07:19 PM   #72
cratylus
Registered Member

Ok, first the avatar: it's actually a painting by Dorian Cleavenger.

Second: the Hog, the Damsel, and the Goby are the only current fish inhabitants in my 125 gallon. The Purple Tang is in its own tank (a 29 gallon quarantine). Still no sign of ich returning in the 125. Everyone seems normal.

And I have great news to report about the Tang. As difficult as this is to believe, I see an extremely noticeable improvement in just two feedings. When I got him last night, the tang's body was covered in white dots and he was clearly laboring to breathe. After one feeding last night and another this morning, I'd estimate that 60-65% of the white dots are gone and his breathing is markedly improved.

I'm very glad to see that macg has also had success with using ginger to combat ich. I'm hoping that others will give this method a chance before dismissing it out of hand. I'd recommend trying it in their quarantine tanks first.

As far as Pepsi being used to treat SARS, I suppose if DNA would like to self-experiment with that I'd support him 100% in his efforts.

Unread 05/22/2003, 07:39 PM   #73
charvel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DNA
Anyone know the mortality rate for ick or how long it takes to cure on it's own?

If everyone with SARS would drink Pepsi it's very likely they'd recover. See my point?
Wow, DNA it is pretty cool seeing someone from Iceland, I am half Icelandic my mother moved here when she was 20 to go to school. I am 35 and have never once met someone with my nationality(in person or online)My grandfather was just here and brought Flatkokur,hardfiskur,and hangikjot. I wish I could answer your question,but I don't know to much about ick. Mike.

Current Tank Info: 120gal. 180.LR,225lbs.S,75gal.sump,20gal.refuge,2 green chromis,1 false perc.clown,shrimp,mushrooms,leathers,star polyps,zoo's,snails,crabs,Euroreef CS8-3,
charvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2003, 07:49 PM   #74
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by cratylus
Ok, first the avatar: it's actually a painting by Dorian Cleavenger.

Second: the Hog, the Damsel, and the Goby are the only current fish inhabitants in my 125 gallon. The Purple Tang is in its own tank (a 29 gallon quarantine). Still no sign of ich returning in the 125. Everyone seems normal.

And I have great news to report about the Tang. As difficult as this is to believe, I see an extremely noticeable improvement in just two feedings. When I got him last night, the tang's body was covered in white dots and he was clearly laboring to breathe. After one feeding last night and another this morning, I'd estimate that 60-65% of the white dots are gone and his breathing is markedly improved.

I truly find this fascinating, and really appreciate your further testing your idea. I'm sure it is in this thread, but would you be willing to repost exactly how you are using Ginger in your feedings?

Is this raw ginger root from the grocery store, grated finely into frozen food? I believe you'd said it was a 1/4 teaspoon worth, right?

Do the fish (the tang in this case) simply eat the frozen food and ginger bits as well? Does the ginger float or sink? I'd like to know the details so I can share them with others in the future, plus be able to implement it immediately if the need arises with my own tanks.

Unread 05/22/2003, 09:01 PM   #75
NewMariner
Reef Tank Aficionado

I have to owe you an apology Cratylus.......your first post just led me to believe that your fish really didnt have ick.....but with the tang Im convinced....I truly do find this fascinating about ginger being able to cure ick..........

The tang, you said it was breathing heavily....Did he readily eat the ginger food? Or did he just kinda pick at it? Most of the time when Ive had fish get to where they are having hard times breathing they just dont want to eat...........

Current Tank Info: 96x36x32 Envision Acrylics Tank
NewMariner is offline   Reply With Quote