Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2014, 07:55 AM   #51
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Big Update (continued)

So we got all of the coral and fish over initially. I dunked all of the rocks in new saltwater and then put them in the new tank as fast as possible. It was a stressful mess.

The guy from the bushes followed me all the way to my new place and kept photobombing me...

This was taken right after we had finished taking all of my livestock out of the tank and completed the transfer. I did have 2 issues. My starry blenny hid in a rock and fell out in a shallow bucket of cold water and died. My other issue was that I could not find my candycane pistol shrimp! I was really worried about him because him and my goby are besties. When we were completely draining the 60 to get it in the truck bed of the guy who bought it, the pistol appeared and I just scooped it up in a fist of sand and threw him in a bucket of cold saltwater since it was all I had. I then ran him over and placed him in and he was all good! (RELIEF!)

I had my tank setup like this for a few days because my apartment was a complete mess and my life was in shambles. I also had to move everything else out of my old apartment and that took forever.

Instagram: Oshanickreef
oshanickreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2014, 08:05 AM   #52
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Big Update (Continued 2)

So, Now i am going to show off all of my work in the past few months. I still have lots of work to do... but it is looking pretty awesome right now.

I put all of my apex stuff on a piece of 24x24 plywood with 2x2s under it so i can hide the wire (eventually...)

The fact that I now have a sump closet is amazing! My previous tank i had a sump that filled all of the area under the tank and just had fish tank stuff scattered throughout my apartment. This is so much more organized and I love it!

Two nights ago, I decided to glue all of my corals to where i think they will thrive. I really like how it all turned out and I cannot wait to see what happens with the growth!

Here is my last pic of this crazy update. Las tnight after programming all my dosers and cleaning my living room, I decided to take some angle shots and this one seems to stick out compared to the other 200 pics I took.

In all of the moving and setup of this tank, I definitely owe a thanks to Pife. He really helped me out on this. Thanks bro! lol

I will be updating soon with a bunch of coral photos. Stay tuned!

Unread 11/19/2014, 08:27 AM   #53
mpcart
Registered Member

Looks great!

-Mike

mpcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2014, 09:17 AM   #54
smoothdog
Registered Member

Great job, looks really nice!

Current Tank Info: 150DD SPS dominant mixed reef. 100g sump/fuge, 6'x28"x12" frag tank, Diablo xs200 skimmer, Apex controller, Custom GEO 824 calcium reactor, panworld 200PS return pump. Lumenmax Elite reflector with Radium 250HQI bulb and 3 AI 32 HDs.
smoothdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2014, 10:26 AM   #55
rams
ramtheory

You should be very proud of that setup. Looks awesome.

Current Tank Info: 60 cube tank, 93 cube tank
rams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2014, 10:29 AM   #56
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rams View Post
You should be very proud of that setup. Looks awesome.
thank you thank you! Now that i have settled a little it is hitting me and I'm loving it! lol

Unread 11/19/2014, 10:30 AM   #57
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothdog View Post
Great job, looks really nice!
thanks dude!

Unread 12/02/2014, 02:22 PM   #58
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Update: December 2, 2014

So I have been doing a lot of purchasing in the past weeks as I am trying to get all of the fish i want in the next couple weeks/months and then not have to deal with territory issues. My goal is to have a bung of little fish everywhere so when i feed it is crazy! lol

anyways this update is more focused on coral. I am posting pictures now and will keep positing pics of new coral and coral that has grown significantly.

Blue tiped white acro... (i dono the name)

Maze brain coral

My beautiful Chevron!! (sorry its not a coral... but i love him)

My derasa clam... with photobomb credit that goes to the Chevron

green birdsnest (photobomb credit goes to the onyx percs)

green leather

green slimer

Unread 12/02/2014, 02:26 PM   #59
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Update: December 2, 2014 (part 2)

Here is my open brain (some call it a meat coral) along with the pair of helfrichi firefish that are a new purchase!

Top down pic of my aussie maxima

front view of my aussie maxima

ORA Gorgonian

Oregon Tort

The Helfrichis again!

and last but not least, this is a side view to show the depth of the tank. I love it!

Unread 12/02/2014, 02:33 PM   #60
tilo
Registered Member

Very nice side view. Also love the chevron, wish I had the tank space for it..

Your Oregon tort doesn't look like the oregons I see. Was wondering if you bought it online? Also if it's slowly coloring up, do you see any green?

Everything looks great, those LEDs have a great mix of colors in them.
Have fun and good luck.

Ps was thinking the coral was a Cali tort, please don't take any offense just asking.

tilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2014, 07:41 AM   #61
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilo View Post
Very nice side view. Also love the chevron, wish I had the tank space for it..

Ps was thinking the coral was a Cali tort, please don't take any offense just asking.
Thank you! and i have been told many times that my Oregon tort doesnt look like an oregon tort... so no offense taken. but i really dont know what it is. i really like it though so whatever it is it is one of my faves.

The person i bought it from at a frag swap said it was oregon tort so that is my source. the only color i see in that coral are a purpleish base with a very deep blue blend to the tips which are a brighter blue and the polyps are sorta yellowish brown

Unread 12/03/2014, 09:31 AM   #62
Pife
Registered Member

[QUOTE=oshanickreef;23300784]My goal is to have a bung of little fish/QUOTE]

That's really weird but OK whatever.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2014, 09:32 AM   #63
oshanickreef
Registered Member

a bunch*

Unread 12/09/2014, 07:30 AM   #64
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Update: December 9, 2014

A LOT has happened in the past 4 days with new fish that I bought, making a new screen lid, and fixing a leak that has been happening since the tank has been set up.

I will start with the leak. Behind my tank I have my return line hooked up so it splits off to get to both sea swirls. When I was gluing the PVC I remember struggling with this becuase it is a really tight spot and I could barely get my hands on the pipe to push them into one another.. The leak was very small and I figured I was going to have to cut it out and use couplings to make another section. After procrastinating for a month I decided to use waterweld from walmart... low and behold IT WORKED! relief!

So my other issue was the lid. These sea swirls are great... but they make the whole "having a lid on the tank" thing seem impossible. I made a lid that butts up against the sea swirls but there were three large spaces where fish could easily jump... of course I procrastinated a little and when I was rearranging my rock one of my new anthias jumped out and slapped herself on the floor. I decided to make a screen that would fit under the sea swirls and but up against the overflow and somehow it worked and actually looks pretty cool.

So now for the real problem I was having. Two days ago I bought 4 Lyretail Anthias (1 male and 3 females). They were eating like champs and their coloring is stunning. So, once they were in the tank, my juvi chevron tang went bazerk and was beating the crap out of them. So, I rearranged the rocks where the anthias were and then all seemed to be okay, but after a litle bit the chevron gained a lot of interest in them and began to beat them up agian. So, I went to work and printed out 9 large (about 3 inch) pics of a juvi chevron tang and taped them all over that side of the tank. Worked like a charm! haha the chevron immediately was all freaked out and now leaves the anthias alone. I am very happy because these anthias are beautiful and now they are out all the time and I love their color.

Okay time for pics!!!!!

New Welso

It is hard to see... but there is a lid in the back area that fits snug inside the tank.

Here is a pic of my Purple Rain Monti

Here is the Male Lyretail Anthias

Full tank shot! (note the pair of helfrichis on the left!)

Another Tank shot

Here are all the anthias together. They are very small, which I like so they can grow with the tank.

Thanks for Reading.

Unread 12/09/2014, 08:00 AM   #65
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Here is my updated Fish List:

Midas Blenny (3 1/2 inch)
2 ORA Hybrid Cleaner Gobies (1 1/2 inch)
2 Onyx Percula Clownfish (1 1/2 & 2 inch)
1 Male Lyretail Anthias 2 1/2 inch
3 Female Lyretail Anthias (1 inch, 1 1/2 inch, & 2 inch)
2 Helfrichi Firefish (2 inch)
Chevron Tang (1 3/4 inch)
Royal Gramma Basslet (2 1/4 inch)
Blue Stripe Pipefish (3 1/2 inch)
Randall's Goby (4 inch)

I made this last night because i felt like I had more fish than I thought... turns out I thought I had 12 and I currently have 16... So, I am done adding fish, for now

Unread 12/09/2014, 05:01 PM   #66
kegogut
Registered Member

Yea I'd say thats a full load for your tank. lolz.

Thats more than I have in my 225 =P

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
kegogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2014, 07:21 PM   #67
oshanickreef
Registered Member

ya but they are all very small fish.. so i think i should be good

Unread 12/17/2014, 07:06 AM   #68
oshanickreef
Registered Member

UPDATE: Pests

So, over the past few months (back before i switched tanks) I started noticing that one of my corals wasnt growing and was losing color. It wasnt dying... just looked kinda whited out and not good. Turns out that it was covered in Red Bugs. I have never dealt with these before so I just pulled it and one other coral that had a bug on it and dipped them in Revive. I made this pic huge so you can see how many bugs fell off the one staghorn (which is the lighter colored coral in this pic).

I heard about using interceptor but i have a lot of inverts and I am hesitant to use it. any advice on what to do?

Unread 12/17/2014, 02:59 PM   #69
kegogut
Registered Member

I doubt youll get rid of them just by dipping the two corals. Smack just got rid of them (I think). You might wanna hit him up and see the whos what.

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
Unread 01/15/2015, 07:36 AM   #70
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Big Update! Jan. 15, 2015

Happy New Year Everyone!

I have some update news that is both good and bad.

I will start with the bad...

a few days ago i lost a nice crocea clam and then yesterday my nem moved in on my derasa clam (which never had any issues) and the clam was gone. I was sad about that because i really liked that clam.

also, Ich got the best of the helfrichis. they were completely covered and seemed fine but they vanished overnight.

also, my cherub angelfish decided it liked coral and clam mantels so i caught him and he is now a sump fish... which he seems to actually enjoy. he was introverted and beat up on all the fish.

so now for the good news!

I bought a Hog algae scrubber and it took a few weeks but i have been slowely backing off my GFO reactor and my phosphates are still at 0! I would love to not have to buy GFO all the time because that stuff is expensive.

In addition i borrowed 2 dropcams from my buddy and they are awesome!
I have one on my sump and the other on my DT and now i can turn things on and off using my apex while out of town by looking at my camera vs having someone describe to me what is happening when they really have no idea... lol
here is my day and night dropcam shot:

When my phone is connected to wifi the quality is rediculous. i can zoom on my tank and see fish swimming around. they also have sound so that will come in handy if my skimmer were to overflow or something else were to happen while i was away.

Recently, I bought a dragonface pipefish to deal with redbugs and it literally wouldnt leave my corals alone so i bought another one and they seem to be good friends. they hunt together and sleep together. They are probably my favorite fish as of now. I also bought a redline wrasse to deal with flatworms and i got lucky because it definitely has been reducing the FWs and also it will hunt out bristle worms and throw them up in the water column and then rip them to pieces. it is pretty awesome to watch.

On top of all of that stuff i got frustrated with my rock layout and my buddy and i decided to change it up a bit. now i have a lot more room for corals and am excited to get more in there. My parameters have been excellent lately and it definitely is showing in some SPS corals.

here is a full tank shot of the new scape:

thanks

Update Over!

Unread 01/15/2015, 08:07 AM   #71
Pife
Registered Member

Your tank is looking good.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2015, 11:28 AM   #72
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Thx bro

Unread 01/15/2015, 01:51 PM   #73
kegogut
Registered Member

Tank is looking good Nick,makes me want sand in my tank.

Unread 01/16/2015, 11:52 AM   #74
oshanickreef
Registered Member

i dont remmeber seeing no sand in your tank...

Unread 01/16/2015, 12:02 PM   #75
kegogut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshanickreef View Post
i dont remmeber seeing no sand in your tank...
When I moved into the new house and upgraded from the 120 I didnt put sand back in my tank.