Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/23/2011, 01:47 AM   #1
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

Unhappy Coralife 150w MH NO UV PROTECTION.

I have searched and searched and have not found anything on this pendant and whether people have put a UV guard on the pendant or their tanks. My biggest concern is if I put the tempered glass on that pendant, it will overheat or if something splashes on it my glass will shatter. If I put a glass lid on my tank it will create a mini sauna in there. Please put my worries to rest here... Will my fixture do fine with a glass slid in the pendant or do i do a top on my tank?

Reeferz412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Guacamole
Registered Member

Is this a double ended MH or a single end. Im pretty sure if it is single end the UV protection is on the bulb itself, and require no further UV shielding. The DE ones are the ones you need the glass on.

Guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

It is the DE and I am kicking myself for not getting the Mogul or uv protected filament bulbs. But oh well. I know I need some sort of glass shield but I am afraid the Halide bulb will explode due to the glass shield slid into the pendant and not enough cool air to run through the pendant. I really want my tank to stay open, I hate canopies or any sort of lid on my tank. If anyone has slid a glass into the pendant and has had no overheating issues PLEASE let me know.

Unread 05/23/2011, 07:33 PM   #4
allsps40
Registered Member

If you have the clamp on fixture then NO there is not a good UV shielded glass on it. The glass it comes with is only light UV shielded. Coralife DE bulbs are made from UV shielded glass just like all SE bulbs. I found out the hard way when I switched from Coralife bulbs to Phoenix and burnt the crap out of all my corals. I ended up getting a new light after that. Now if you have an Aqua Light that is not the clamp on fixture then it should have come the UV glass to cover the bulb and reflector. In either case you can have a piece of UV glass cut to fit your light for fairly cheap.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
allsps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2011, 10:16 PM   #5
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

Alright that is good, and it has a slot to slide in a piece of glass but will my fixture overheat? It has one fan but I am afraid it will overheat with the glass on the pendant.

Tags
coralife, tempered, uv rays