Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2012, 11:47 AM   #1
seanothon
Registered Member

Trouble with my coralife fixture

I'm having some trouble with half of my coralife 4 x 65W CF fixture. I recently replaced a bulb that had went out and when I tried to put in the new bulb I found the socket to be quite brittle and some of the plastic just chipped off. It didn't get down to the metal parts so I figured it wasn't a big deal. A few days later I notice that now neither of the back lights are on. I turn it off and turn it on and see them light up at the base of the light for an instant, but then nothing. The bulb I replaced lit up extra bright, as if it was getting too much power. I undid that bulb and the other one turned on with no trouble. Also, the fan that is powered with that same switch ran with no issue whether both bulbs were plugged in or not. I'm no electrician so I would appreciate some advice.

seanothon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 01:19 PM   #2
calvin12
Registered Member

sounds like the ballast is gone. I have the 2x65 corallife fixture and had to replace the ballast and one of the connector wires. I dont remember where I bought the parts from though. But they are available. Easy fix, dissassemble, unplug bad ballast and replace.
Just looked they are all over the place, amazon, marineandreef. etc.

calvin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 02:47 PM   #3
seanothon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin12 View Post
sounds like the ballast is gone. I have the 2x65 corallife fixture and had to replace the ballast and one of the connector wires. I dont remember where I bought the parts from though. But they are available. Easy fix, dissassemble, unplug bad ballast and replace.
Just looked they are all over the place, amazon, marineandreef. etc.
Thought it may have been the ballast. Do you think I need to replace the ballast on both bulbs in the back or just the one that seems to be the issue?

Unread 01/24/2012, 02:53 PM   #4
seanothon
Registered Member

Never mind, I think I answered my own question. I'm going to open it up and find the model #.

Tags
4 x 65w, coralife, fixture, trouble