Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2019, 05:52 AM   #1
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Balancing phosphates and nitrates

Hello,

I am fighting a battle with dinos at the moment. The more I read it seems clear a contributing factor is the nitrate and phosphate balance. My nitrates are at 10ppm and phosphates are at 0.024ppm

Are my numbers out of wack?

Unread 10/23/2019, 06:17 AM   #2
JWClark
Registered Member

With those #s you shouldn't have an issue unless they dropped to 0 at some point, allowing the dinos to take hold--or you lack the algal/bacterial diversity needed to out compete them. In my case, my tank hit 0 for both at one point precipitating the problem. Was using a Chaeto reactor and it stripped my tank. Once the dinos were established, simply raising nutrients wasn't enough to get the algae back and knock the dinos out.

Throw a UV on to kill the floating population and you should see them go away and other algae make a comeback. Think I also used a baster on the corals and rocks to suspend as much as I could periodically. Worked for me, but there are others that had no success (though can't remember if they ever confirmed the strain they had). I would try this and see if you could increase biodiversity somehow. Ideally w/ some good rock from the ocean.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2019, 07:43 AM   #3
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWClark View Post
With those #s you shouldn't have an issue unless they dropped to 0 at some point, allowing the dinos to take hold--or you lack the algal/bacterial diversity needed to out compete them. In my case, my tank hit 0 for both at one point precipitating the problem. Was using a Chaeto reactor and it stripped my tank. Once the dinos were established, simply raising nutrients wasn't enough to get the algae back and knock the dinos out.

Throw a UV on to kill the floating population and you should see them go away and other algae make a comeback. Think I also used a baster on the corals and rocks to suspend as much as I could periodically. Worked for me, but there are others that had no success (though can't remember if they ever confirmed the strain they had). I would try this and see if you could increase biodiversity somehow. Ideally w/ some good rock from the ocean.
Thanks. My phosphates did zero out

Unread 10/26/2019, 08:55 AM   #4
Vio
Registered Member

I help few friends to beat Dino , Yes works.

Run UV during the light schedule only.
Run 20-50 micron (light schedule only}
Blow all you can see (Dino) by using Feeding pipette or small water pump.
Remove all you can see die or is about to die ( in special snail).
Clean Protein Skimmer almost daily.
Use Active Carbon, Do NOT make water change .
Do this for 2 weeks,
Adding Bacteria after this.
Try to keep NO3 around 4-5 ppm ( steady) PO4 will balance according whit that.
Do NOT try to save Coral witch may die,

Vio is offline   Reply With Quote