Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2020, 06:59 PM   #1
Kansas Reefer
Registered Member

Tunze Powerhead Recommendations

I have a 96" x 30" x 30" mixed reef tank. It has three large islands of rock and the water flow right now is via XF350 gyres. I can sure use some help selecting additional powerheads and placement to maximize flow. I want to use Tunze controllable powerheads. I need more turbulence on the islands and a bit more flow along the sandbed, especially on the ends of my tank. I welcome your suggestions!

Kansas Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2020, 08:50 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

How thick is the glass?

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2020, 10:43 PM   #3
dgunn
Registered Member

I just purchased 3 used 6105's from a friend. One of them has the impeller shaft stuck inside of the impeller. Is there anyway to remove the stuck shaft without ruining the impeller?
Another one has a shaft that was not attached to the motor block, I was able to push it back in and it seems pretty tight. Will the shaft stay in the motor block without coming back out?
Thanks in advance for your comments.
I will need to order 3 of the bushing sets as well as one shaft and possibly one impeller.

dgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2020, 09:39 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Just to be clear, there are two versions of 6105 drive unit design, 2008-2012 the drive shaft is removable, it has a blue bushing on each end and the shaft reaches the front cover. On the version made since 2012 the shaft is a permanent part of the motor and does not pass through the front of the drive unit.

If the shaft is a permanent type and has come out your best bet is to tap it in with a hammer after getting everything clean and dry and using a drop of super glue on the end of the shaft seated in the motor. How permenant this repair will be depends on how badly worn or damaged the shaft seat is.

For the shaft stuck in the drive unit, I generally use either a suitably sized nail and hammer to drive it out, or carefully grab an end that will not have the impeller in contact with it and pull it out with pliers, a twisting motion will tend to help and you can take breaks if it gets stuck and try soaks in vinegar for several hours.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 02/12/2020, 12:17 PM   #5
dgunn
Registered Member

Thank you Roger for the response,

I must have the newer version since one of the units has the shaft installed already and also has the blue bushing. On the drive unit with the shaft loose I was able to tap the shaft back in and it seems to be tight although I didn't add the "super glue".

On the third one it appears to also have the ability to have the shaft reinserted but the shaft is stuck so I can't try it.

If I can't remove the stuck shaft from the impeller is the shaft available with a new impeller?

How do I order three new bushings and a new impeller and shaft if needed?
The Tunze website is rather confusing... is that so that an individual has to reach out to a second party retail site for parts?

Thanks for the help.
Doug

Unread 02/12/2020, 02:13 PM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

We try to make it fairly simple, but we have about 800 skus and parts for things we made 10+ years ago so by nature of that it gets confusing. If you have the manual still the easiest way is to get the part numbers from that and just search them on the site.

The old pre 2012 drive unit is 6105.700, that includes the removable shaft that fits those older pumps. Post 2012 the shaft is not available as a spare part as generally when the shaft comes out of the motor we would consider it ruined. The drive unit is 6105.701 and the bushing is 3005.740. I can get you a shaft but it would be used, I would yank it out of a dead motor in the recycling bin.

Unread 02/12/2020, 07:27 PM   #7
dgunn
Registered Member

Thanks Roger,
I was able to remove the shaft and clean it up with some steel wool.
I super glued it back in the motor.

I'll just order three of the bushings 3005.740
Amazon has them for $12.40 apiece.
Doug

Unread 02/13/2020, 10:20 AM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

That is kind of steep, it is around a $3 part, but with that said I am out of stock and shipping and the fees on a marketplace add to the cost.

Tags
flow, gyre, large aquarium, tunze