Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2018, 07:30 AM   #1
MIKE NY
Two Decade club

ESV Transition Elements

FYI......At the meeting this new product from Bob S and Joe Y was being discussed with a few bottles raffled. For those inquiring on where to purchase the reg TE and the plus I got mine at Aquarium Village.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 170 gal Reef, 20 gal frag/reef,90 gal fuge, 65 gal sump, 2-250 Radiums on Hamilton M80 HQIs, T5 actincs, Vertex in280 skimmer, MRC-2 Cal Reactor, Reeflo return pump
MIKE NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 03:48 PM   #2
NS Mike D
Registered Member

thank you

NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 03:47 PM   #3
Editour2
Frank

Hey Mike....it may not be long enough for you to answer this but have you noticed a change since using the product? I have been reading about potassium dosing....I don't even know what my levels are but I just purchased a test kit and will test when I receive it.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 06:30 PM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Frank,
I have a pink Goniopora that stayed the same for 4 years.
With this product it has started growing.
Potassium I have no idea but there are 2 versions, one for nitrates over 5 & 1 for under 5.

Unread 02/13/2018, 08:59 AM   #5
Editour2
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Frank,
I have a pink Goniopora that stayed the same for 4 years.
With this product it has started growing.
Potassium I have no idea but there are 2 versions, one for nitrates over 5 & 1 for under 5.
Vinn....are you referring to the regular and the plus versions?

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Unread 02/13/2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Yes, used orange label till trates dropped, now I use the yellow label.

Unread 02/13/2018, 08:31 PM   #7
MIKE NY
Two Decade club

Frank I’ve only been using it a couple of weeks and don’t really notice any change except some cyno which I can’t say if that’s the cause. I’m carbon dosing so I’m using the regular.
I would worry to much about potassium unless you r tank is heavily populated with SPS. I’ve been dosing potassium, strontium, iodine and although the TE has potassium in it I don’t think it’s much because it hasn’t effect the amount I have to daily dose.

Current Tank Info: 170 gal Reef, 20 gal frag/reef,90 gal fuge, 65 gal sump, 2-250 Radiums on Hamilton M80 HQIs, T5 actincs, Vertex in280 skimmer, MRC-2 Cal Reactor, Reeflo return pump
Unread 02/14/2018, 09:23 AM   #8
Editour2
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE NY View Post
Frank I’ve only been using it a couple of weeks and don’t really notice any change except some cyno which I can’t say if that’s the cause. I’m carbon dosing so I’m using the regular.
I would worry to much about potassium unless you r tank is heavily populated with SPS. I’ve been dosing potassium, strontium, iodine and although the TE has potassium in it I don’t think it’s much because it hasn’t effect the amount I have to daily dose.

Hey Mike......I currently don't dose any additives.....I do have a calc reactor and dose vinegar every day (carbon dosing). I was just curious about the potassium...so I will be testing that soon. How much potassium do you dose daily and what product are you using? What levels are you trying to maintain? (approximately 420ppm or higher?)

Unread 02/14/2018, 06:42 PM   #9
MIKE NY
Two Decade club

I’m currently dosing 25ml of ESV Potassium a day to try and maintain a level of 380+.

Unread 02/22/2018, 01:24 PM   #10
Editour2
Frank

I purchased the Salifert Potassium test kit and had a reading of 360ppm....I didn't test the Reef Crystals (salt mix for water changes) to see what those levels are. I purchased the brightwell Potassium-P and mixed up a solution...added about 8 ounces dripped slowly to my sump and the next day tested again....370ppm. So...I am going to repeat (only increasing by a max of 10ppm per day) until I hit 400ppm. Then I'll try to establish how much to dose daily/weekly to maintain that level....after I see how Potassium is effected from a water change (6% weekly/approximately 18 gallons).

Unread 03/08/2018, 02:41 PM   #11
Editour2
Frank

Regarding adding ESV Transition Elements: do you drip the amount into your tank over a period of time or just pour the whole amount into a high flow area all at once?
thanks

Unread 03/08/2018, 05:29 PM   #12
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Dosing @ once requires doing it within a few hrs. of the lights coming on.
That's how I do it now but just got a single doser to do it for me when not around.

Unread 03/09/2018, 09:55 AM   #13
MIKE NY
Two Decade club

I really can’t see any significant difference, but it can’t hurt so I’m still dosing it ....however I did change my potassium dosing product. Because of the amount I’m dosing. The ESV contains iodide.

Unread 03/09/2018, 11:07 AM   #14
Editour2
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Dosing @ once requires doing it within a few hrs. of the lights coming on.
That's how I do it now but just got a single doser to do it for me when not around.
Vin,
for my total water volume (320 gallons) it's only 8ml for the first week....so I just dumped it into the sump during the peak photo period. I guess if I were to dose it I could either dilute it in RODI and drip OR get another pump for my litermeter III and dose it directly from the gallon container.

Unread 03/09/2018, 11:11 AM   #15
Editour2
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE NY View Post
I really can’t see any significant difference, but it can’t hurt so I’m still dosing it ....however I did change my potassium dosing product. Because of the amount I’m dosing. The ESV contains iodide.

Mike,
I'm using Brightwell Aquatics Potassion-P - Powdered Potassium Solution.....I drip this from my pre-made solution into the sump usually at night. I haven't noticed a change yet either. I'm reading about 380ppm currently and trying to get this up to 400, (I started at 360ppm). Time will tell regarding any benefits.....
Frank