Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2020, 08:05 PM   #1
bjledbetter
Registered Member

Gigantea

I got this Gigantea back in March and had to do a cipro treatment on it to save it. It was touch and go for a bout a week but sense then it has done really well. It was almost 12” when I got it now it’s almost 17” and I’m gonna have to move it to a new tank soon. But what has me puzzled is that when I bought it, it was completely blue. Over the last few weeks it has went from completely blue to gold with blue tips. It looks like a Australian gold torch. I’ve never seen a gigantea that looks like what this one is doing. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

bjledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2020, 08:13 PM   #2
bjledbetter
Registered Member

What it looks like tonight.
https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds
What it looked like when I Got it https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...unds&crop=fill

Close up of the Tentacles to show the colors
https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

Last edited by bjledbetter; 08/18/2020 at 08:50 PM.
Unread 08/18/2020, 08:16 PM   #3
cali9dub
Registered Member

Possibly not enough light and it’s losing its color. What lighting are you using ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali9dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2020, 08:24 PM   #4
kris4647
Registered Member

Mine looks just like yours, eh, I’m not seeing the gold you mentioned.....it’s very a very healthy gig.

The colors do look different in different temperature lights. Maybe?

kris4647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2020, 08:26 PM   #5
bjledbetter
Registered Member

Remind me of how to post photos on here. I haven’t done it in forever and I didn’t have a iPhone then. And I’ll post some better pics of it

Last edited by bjledbetter; 08/18/2020 at 08:42 PM.
Unread 08/18/2020, 08:38 PM   #6
bjledbetter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4647 View Post
Mine looks just like yours, eh, I’m not seeing the gold you mentioned.....it’s very a very healthy gig.

The colors do look different in different temperature lights. Maybe?

I just changed the photo link to a pic where you can see the colors better. It started out solid blue and now has changed to this and it’s been a really noticeable color change of the nem not just lighting. I’ll try to get some better pics

Unread 08/18/2020, 08:51 PM   #7
cali9dub
Registered Member

If anything it’s color should get more intense/darker, not lighter. Again, What lighting are you offering it ? It should enjoy all the light you can throw at it and tons of flow.

cali9dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2020, 08:09 PM   #8
Omri
Registered Member

This is so pretty. Did it grow so much because you actively feed it or is it just doing well in your tank? This is exactly what I’m looking for only I don’t want such a large one :-/

Omri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2020, 07:13 PM   #9
bjledbetter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omri View Post
This is so pretty. Did it grow so much because you actively feed it or is it just doing well in your tank? This is exactly what I’m looking for only I don’t want such a large one :-/
It gets mysis, bloodworms and what ever else the fish eats everyday

Unread 10/08/2020, 03:13 AM   #10
hottuna
Registered Member

looks fine to me.

Unread 10/13/2020, 07:33 PM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

There are several reasons that cause you to have the above observations.
1. The light may be different. seem to me the light spectrum cause the earlier picture to look blue while later picture to look purple. This however does not cause change in the intensity of the color. The 2nd reason below is most likely reason for this.
2. initial picture show that the anemone is not as healthy, tentacles are contracted and much shorter. Looking closely at it, you also see the color tip and the body of the tentacle are of lighter color. Seem to have bluish tip and purple body and brown base to me. Need better focus, enlarge picture to tell for sure. The reason why the tentacles are much lighter now, is because the same amount of color got spread out to many times the surface area. I guess that the original picture the tentacles are but a mm or two. Currently tentacles maybe 20-30 mm. If you have the same amount of color but spread out to 30-40time the surface, this would nessesary result in lighter colors. We see this in other anemones. Then they are sick and contracted, their color would look much more intense, but the anemone is not very healthy.

Hope this explain why a few months ago, your anemone look darker, more intense in colors abut lighter now.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote