Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2020, 06:01 PM   #1
nickrosenthal
Registered Member

Gigantea care

Hello,

I’ve been wanting one of these for some time now
and finally have one coming. It will be the only thing in the tank so I was wondering what salinity do these guys prefer, how intense of
Lighting they like, and how often do you feed them? Thanks so much and any other tips you’ve learned would be appreciated.

nickrosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2020, 08:38 PM   #2
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Hey Nick ask Orion n he's a guru for anemone. He's in the anemone forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2020, 02:19 PM   #3
ChizerBunoi
Registered Member

First know that there is a very low survival rate on them, but much higher nowadays compared to the past.

If you are getting it shipped to you, ask them to send it in a bag with no air. Just full of water. This was an observation from another poster who has had much success using this method.

Giganteas are very prone to bacterial infection during shipping. And when a sick anemone is introduced to a tank with other anemones they can transfer and cause the other ones to be sick. If its coming from another persons tank (not LFS) and has been very healthy in their tank for long term then you will have great success.

I would suggest that you quarantine it for a week with no other critters and just do full daily water changes. Have a powerhead and heater at one end, and egg crate to separate it. Be careful with light intensity as acclimation needs to happen. When it spits out its zooxanthellae (looks like anemone poop), you want to clear that out.

Then monitor for the next week. If it keeps deflating and pancaking then you need to start antibiotic treatment. Suggest you read the stickys in this anemone thread on that.

Apart from that, they want high random water flow, high lights. They grow fast and have a mean sting to them that will give you a rash for over a week. Also one of the most beautiful anemones.

Welcome to the club?

ChizerBunoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2020, 03:53 PM   #4
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrosenthal View Post
Hello,

what salinity do these guys prefer, how intense of
Lighting they like, and how often do you feed them? Thanks so much and any other tips you’ve learned would be appreciated.
1.026 seems to work best in my tank. Even with a smaller drop to 1.024 my Magnifica and gigantea anemones wouldn’t look as happy.
Radion and AI lights have been better for the anemones I have had than Kessil. I’ve kept them under XR 15 Gen 4 Pro Radion at 45% on a 20” tall tank. My current gigantea resides on the sand bed under XR30 Gen 4 Pro at 45% intensity. Its the spot the anemone chose even though I put it up higher in the tank initially.
I don’t generally target feed my nems

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2020, 08:41 PM   #5
Omri
Registered Member

Following! I’m looking for some brightly colored carpet nems even though I know they may be problematic in my mixed reef.

Omri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2020, 10:46 PM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

I keep my tank at 80C and Salinity at 35ppt. Clean water, very bright light and high current. I just took a Video of my Green Gigantea which I had around 7 years, will attach it here
https://youtu.be/VhO2Bd1eFBk

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2020, 10:50 PM   #7
OrionN
Moved on

A video of another of my tank with Gigantea and Magnifica
https://youtu.be/6b8BvtwiGzs
Top down view of another of my Gigantea:
https://youtu.be/O8X_RqGzdtk

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote