Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2017, 12:22 PM   #1
bobssecrtsn
Registered Member

Possibly found the root cause of all my sps stn

I just recieved my triton test and it came back with some high level Tin, some say pvc but I doubt this is the cause.

Over the past months I would see all my sps perish, first no p.e then rtn from the tips then a white sps.

So I tested my water at triton, and the results came back with

Sn 14 ug/l
Ba 124 ug/l

All other elements seem fine, looks like I'll have to find the root of it.. any input ?

Unread 01/26/2017, 12:48 PM   #2
farfromsea
Registered Member

Any clamps in your tank or sump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farfromsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 02:53 PM   #3
Mortie31
Registered Member

Are you using iron based phosphate remover? some of these can lead to high barium levels

Mortie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 07:48 PM   #4
aromano
Registered Member

what kind of sealants are you using on fittings plumbing. Some silicones and urethanes use tin catalyst to cure them. Barium could come from fillers in PVC Barium sulfate is white and a lot cheaper than titanium dioxide which is primary white pigment used today. Barium is used to lower cost as a partial substitute

aromano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 09:30 PM   #5
Mr.Fishtank
Registered Member

What salt are you using?

Mr.Fishtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 10:43 PM   #6
bobssecrtsn
Registered Member

Hello everyone, Sorry for the late response. I found the culprit of high tin.

Im using aquaforest probiotic salt,

the pvc sealant is unknown, I used the piping that came with the tank its the purple and clear stuff, (regular i guess )

But I would have never guess my new QD wet sides were the culprit, There only a few months old! (4-5) I hope i still have warranty for them.

Unread 02/01/2017, 11:22 PM   #7
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Interesting, a fellow reefer in my area had found his Ecotech powerheads to be the culprit to his tank crashing except his powerheads were much older with the unsealed magnets. He only checked them because Battlecorals advised him to look.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mav3rick478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 11:49 PM   #8
Potatohead
Registered Member

Wow that's lame. MP10's or 40's?

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 11:52 PM   #9
organism
code monkey

I had the same thing happen when 2 MP10's in my tank had corroded impellers. They'll replace them for you if it's still under warranty... I figured they would've fixed this well-known problem in the new QD wetsides, not cool.

Unread 02/02/2017, 01:06 AM   #10
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
I had the same thing happen when 2 MP10's in my tank had corroded impellers. They'll replace them for you if it's still under warranty... I figured they would've fixed this well-known problem in the new QD wetsides, not cool.
There's no money making something last forever!

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 01:08 AM   #11
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Tell that to Eheim.

I hate to admit that there is not much stuff I have faith in anymore. You can spend more money on what should be better products and you still have issues a lot of the time... It's really lame and frustrating.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 07:44 AM   #12
crawlerman
Registered Member

Wow, that is disappointing. You would think for that price they would not continue to put out a product with a known problem. Especially when it could crash your tank. I have 2 older MP40's, guess I'll have to keep a close eye on them.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 09:55 AM   #13
jduck
Registered Member

Ya I've had several in the last year with issues. Just like some of the original ones did.

Unread 02/02/2017, 10:06 AM   #14
gdemos
Registered Member

Guess I'm not seeing the impeller corrosion in the pic...? How did you open that part of the wetside? Is there some type of grease in there? Is it food grade silicone?

gdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 10:39 AM   #15
bobssecrtsn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemos View Post
Guess I'm not seeing the impeller corrosion in the pic...? How did you open that part of the wetside? Is there some type of grease in there? Is it food grade silicone?

There tabs on the side of the covers after you remove the snail guards, just pop them out and you should be able to slide out the impeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
Wow that's lame. MP10's or 40's?
Their mp40..

So I contacted them and they're sending me 2 replacements, free of charge. Glad there still good costumer service!

Anyone know if the rock absorbed any of the heavy metals?

Unread 02/02/2017, 11:14 AM   #16
gdemos
Registered Member

How bad is the corrosion?? and you said you've only run these pumps for a few months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobssecrtsn View Post
There tabs on the side of the covers after you remove the snail guards, just pop them out and you should be able to slide out the impeller

Their mp40..

So I contacted them and they're sending me 2 replacements, free of charge. Glad there still good costumer service!

Anyone know if the rock absorbed any of the heavy metals?

Unread 02/02/2017, 11:31 AM   #17
dson78
Registered Member

Wet side split and rust

Same exact thing happened to me last month, i removed them and sent pictures to Ecotech and their amazing tech support replaced both of my wet sides for free. After replacing the wet sides with new ones and a 50% water change, my corals started to look a lot better after a week.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8212.jpg (32.5 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8214.jpg (39.3 KB, 305 views)
dson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 09:38 PM   #18
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
At the same time it's hard to have faith in a product when it messes up people's tanks...

I could understand a company wanting people to replace stuff, but knowing a product can corrode and not doing anything about it on future upgrades is not cool. Rusting impellers isn't news to Ecotech, so my guess is their cost/benefit ratio on fixing it didn't go in our favor if it's cheaper for them to replace the wetsides that corrode in our tanks than give us a redesigned dependable product. They only have to cover it for a year and after that you pay them to replace it. Pretty easy decision if you like money more than happy customers and ethics.

Here's how both of mine looked and what some of you with MP's get to look forward to one day. If you're past warranty like I was then you get to give them even more money for the privilege of having their pump rust in your tank.

Unread 02/02/2017, 09:53 PM   #19
gdemos
Registered Member

Wow that is Bogus. Shame on ecotech if this is to be expected it is unacceptable. Have you guys posted this on their sponsor page? I'd like to see their response to your inquiry to inform consumers of their service handling practices. Even if customer service is stellar, an inferior product at that price point is like I said, Bogus. Please share your interactions and correspondence for the benefit of others.

Unread 02/02/2017, 10:28 PM   #20
jccaclimber
Registered Member

I like to point fingers at manufacturers, but I'm not sure how much better they could handle this.
From what I've read elsewhere on this page they will replace the magnets for free, even if they are out of warranty by several years.
I do wish they'd use something better for that rod in the center, but other than plastic coating the magnets (which they already do) I'm not really sure what you can do there. I don't know of any salt water resistant materials that are nearly magnetic enough.

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2017, 02:57 AM   #21
biggles
Registered Member

That sucks big time Bob and pretty disappointing when you support a good but expensive brand name. It's all well and good to have free replacements of gear but what makes up for the misery and coral losses many suffer over an extended period prior to checking equipment that should not require checking for design fault failures.

My maxspect gyre better not do that............

Unread 02/03/2017, 01:39 PM   #22
steallife904
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
That sucks big time Bob and pretty disappointing when you support a good but expensive brand name. It's all well and good to have free replacements of gear but what makes up for the misery and coral losses many suffer over an extended period prior to checking equipment that should not require checking for design fault failures.

My maxspect gyre better not do that............
was just thinking the same thing about my gyre's....

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 12:55 PM   #23
Myka
Reefing since '93

Just an FYI for the Barium. My tank, run using AF Probiotic Reef Salt has super high Barium, 264 mg/L IIRC. So I did a bunch of research. It turns out that Barium isn't soluble in saltwater past 60 mg/L. What's happening is that Barium is binding with other elements and precipitating in the tank. Though these compounds won't unbind in typical reef aquarium conditions, the ICP-OES testing breaks the compounds into ions, and then counts all the ions.

Think of it like this...you take vial of saltwater and add some super fine aragonite sand to the bottom of the vial. You test the vial for calcium with your hobbyist test kits, and it reads let's say 400 ppm (the sand doesn't add calcium to the water column). You send this same vial for ICP-OES testing and calcium is going to be off the charts because it's breaking the sand up into its ions.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 03:41 PM   #24
TNT32D
Registered Member

No!!!! I have ecotech!

TNT32D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 05:21 PM   #25
lynchmob3000
Registered Member

Have the wet sides been cleaned in say vinegar or acid before?

lynchmob3000 is offline   Reply With Quote