Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2017, 07:48 PM   #26
surferarnie
Registered Member

Wow , you made me freak out and tear apart my 2 mp40 wes. They look nothing like that they have a black zinc oxide nut and bolt holding the impeller together. No rust.
Oh well they need a vinegar dip anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

surferarnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 11:59 PM   #27
Breadman03
New Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchmob3000 View Post
Have the wet sides been cleaned in say vinegar or acid before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd given my 4-5 year old 40 WES multiple soaks in vinegar with no indication of rusting or swelling of the magnet. The new QD wetsides have only been brushed with a nail brush and soaked in peroxide.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2017, 09:01 AM   #28
jccaclimber
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferarnie View Post
Wow , you made me freak out and tear apart my 2 mp40 wes. They look nothing like that they have a black zinc oxide nut and bolt holding the impeller together. No rust.
Oh well they need a vinegar dip anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure that nut is plastic.

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 11:42 PM   #29
bobssecrtsn
Registered Member

Wow. I think this needs to either be stickied for awhile and we need to have ecotech go warranty everyone's QD wet side. I'll write and photograph what I found and you all will not like this. But short story, I removed my mp60 QD (as a matter of fact it's literally NEW 1-2 months, not even 50% power) and I can already see a hairline fracture. I will post pictures shortly. Currently doing 30% wc daily.

Unread 02/07/2017, 12:21 AM   #30
bobssecrtsn
Registered Member

So For weeks I've been hitting my head figuring out why they sps would die within a month, from dipping, QTing process, waiting weeks for a sps free tank etc. I then tried Triton test.

a week past by and I get the results, High Tin in my system, 14 UG/l.

Found checked all my pumps, Magnets are GOOD. I then suck out the sand, and say " just for shits lets check my 4-5month old mp40 QD wetsides"

Triton test does not lie, Found my cuprit. Call up ecotech and ask for a new wetside. no questions asked. They will send me 2 new ones.

A few days past and doing 10% WC daily, with only 1 mp60QD in my tank, I remove it, and behold, a hairline crack? What do you guys think? this mp60 is 1-2 months old I should add.

Same place where the rust was coming out of..

I believe it has to due to where both joints meet, It seems as if its to weak and causes it to crack like this.

I say Ecotech needs to warranty all wetsides, and have a solution for this.

As a result all my sps has perished leaving me only just 4-5 thats hanging on.

I wish I would have checked sooner..

My symptoms would include

excellent p.e for the first week, Encrust, then slowly no p.e, sps starts to fade and then rtn/stn from base or tips, in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

Please leave your input and I would recommend EVERYONE check their wetsides.

as well sorry for the bad grammer, P.OED about this hobby and all the money i spent on good equipment to have it fail so early and kill everything.

and YES, Its properly maintained and cleaned.

Last edited by bobssecrtsn; 02/07/2017 at 12:29 AM.
bobssecrtsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2017, 07:48 AM   #31
Magem
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Magem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2017, 08:12 PM   #32
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
I like to point fingers at manufacturers, but I'm not sure how much better they could handle this.
They could use ceramic impellers instead of making the active decision to use cheaper metal core ones.

Quote:
From what I've read elsewhere on this page they will replace the magnets for free, even if they are out of warranty by several years.
I can tell you from personal experience that is not true. You might not be paying full price, but after warranty they aren't free.

After seeing some replies in this thread where people did have them replaced for free after warranty I'm going to take it up with ecotech.

Unread 02/07/2017, 08:24 PM   #33
organism
code monkey

Just so I can get an idea, how many people had their wetsides replaced for free when they were out of warranty?

Unread 02/08/2017, 02:31 PM   #34
africangrey
Registered Member

sorry this is not the wetside, but my MP40QD dry site was recently making grinding noise, after taking a video with sound, they replaced it free of charge. And the pump was manufactured Mar 2015 when it first came out. For customer service they are outstanding, but how good is that if they don't replace your perished SPS. and what the consequence would be if this is your full grown SPS garden and all of them just perish because of the so called trustworthy Ecotech Marine pump.

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2017, 09:16 AM   #35
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

On my second tank, I went for vortechs and had magnet issues, wets side falling off and noise. I loved the idea of them and still do.
Been using tunze 6095 on my last tank and new one, although not perfect they are much more hassle free.

It seems a really reliable sealed magnet would be worth it weight in r and d.

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2017, 12:21 PM   #36
duberz
Registered Member

My triton test also showed my tin was through the roof. I've been going nuts trying to figure out the culprit. I'm tearing apart my two mp10's and pray I see rust. At least I will be able to sleep at night. Been beating myself up over loosing so many corals.

duberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2017, 12:24 PM   #37
duberz
Registered Member

If it is the mp10's and I get a replacement,I'm not sure if I would put it in. Won't the same thing happen again?

duberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2017, 04:45 PM   #38
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by duberz View Post
If it is the mp10's and I get a replacement,I'm not sure if I would put it in. Won't the same thing happen again?
The odds aren't necessarily high. This sucks, and it sucks especially badly considering the high end cost. Every time you get in your car, there is a small percentile chance you will die horribly. Will you never use a car again?

Truthfully, the fact that something that is this high quality causing a mass outbreak of STN in your tank isn't okay. Personally? I don't think it's good enough that you get a replacement pump.

If your tank had been more mature, they'd have killed thousands of dollars worth of Livestock. Oops! Here's another mp10, our bad.

They should send you a gift certificate to WWC / Unique Corals or something. If they *really* stand behind their product, they should be held accountable for the loss of livestock.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2017, 06:07 PM   #39
jccaclimber
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
The odds aren't necessarily high. This sucks, and it sucks especially badly considering the high end cost. Every time you get in your car, there is a small percentile chance you will die horribly. Will you never use a car again?

Truthfully, the fact that something that is this high quality causing a mass outbreak of STN in your tank isn't okay. Personally? I don't think it's good enough that you get a replacement pump.

If your tank had been more mature, they'd have killed thousands of dollars worth of Livestock. Oops! Here's another mp10, our bad.

They should send you a gift certificate to WWC / Unique Corals or something. If they *really* stand behind their product, they should be held accountable for the loss of livestock.
I'm not sure I agree with this one. On one hand, when a heater explodes as they were a couple years ago, tank and living room carpet replacement is in order. On the other hand, if you buy a chromis that gives your tank ich do you expect the LFS to replace your breeding pair of gem tangs (just making up an example)?

Edit: I want to agree with this. Perfect customer service is a 110% reparation of damages done. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to pay for that sort of liability coverage.

Last edited by jccaclimber; 02/12/2017 at 06:14 PM.
jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2017, 06:25 PM   #40
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Someone with a faulty wetside needs to put one in a bucket of water and send that sample to Triton. Only then could you prove the Vortechs introduced the issues. One thing I've learned in this hobby is that no matter how careful we are, things can be introduced from anywhere.

Rusty magnets aren't new to the hobby. That possibility is always present

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 08:49 PM   #41
bobssecrtsn
Registered Member

So here's one of my sps that was crashing and going downhill ever since adding it to the tank, but it looks like it's recovering! Hopefully it will continue to show p.e and start to color up.

Unread 02/20/2017, 11:45 PM   #42
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

That sucks, I remember a bout of these on the original ones years ago..

I could be wrong but Are you sure that's not an mp10 wetside? My mp40's look nothing like it's a plastic nut holding it onto the shaft and a screw to the magnet.. .. My mp10's do though..

The mp40QD must have gotten a redesigned wetside that I don't know about cause it looks just like the older mp10's Wes ( that I've had no issues with in the 7 years on some original wetsides).. Looks like they should have stuck with the old design/manufacturer if that's what we can expect now on the 40's..

Hope the tank gets back on track quickly and good luck..

280g radium lit sps flat living in my garage rent free.

Current Tank Info: 105g SPS dominant euro braced powered by 4 ecotech pumps and lit by an ATI powermodule controlled by a reef angel =).

Last edited by Dapg8gt; 02/20/2017 at 11:55 PM.
Dapg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2017, 08:45 PM   #43
atp0726
Registered Member

[/QUOTE]My symptoms would include

excellent p.e for the first week, Encrust, then slowly no p.e, sps starts to fade and then rtn/stn from base or tips, in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

Please leave your input and I would recommend EVERYONE check their wetsides.

as well sorry for the bad grammer, P.OED about this hobby and all the money i spent on good equipment to have it fail so early and kill everything.

and YES, Its properly maintained and cleaned.[/QUOTE]

So glad I found this thread! My SPS corals have experienced the same symptoms. Been racking my brain trying to figure out why they were dying when parameters were perfect. Some of my Acropora displayed almost constant sliming like something was bothering them. I was ready to make some drastic changes to my system and a friend advised me to check my MP 10s wetside. Sure enough the plastic casing was cracked in a few places and rust colored as well as the shaft had a crack and some rusting.

Added some Polyfill and will be doing some big water changes. Hopefully, things start turning around!

atp0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 11:35 AM   #44
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by atp0726 View Post
So glad I found this thread! My SPS corals have experienced the same symptoms. Been racking my brain trying to figure out why they were dying when parameters were perfect. Some of my Acropora displayed almost constant sliming like something was bothering them. I was ready to make some drastic changes to my system and a friend advised me to check my MP 10s wetside. Sure enough the plastic casing was cracked in a few places and rust colored as well as the shaft had a crack and some rusting.

Added some Polyfill and will be doing some big water changes. Hopefully, things start turning around!
Great to hear you caught it in time! Can you post photos?

Unread 03/05/2017, 11:38 AM   #45
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
Someone with a faulty wetside needs to put one in a bucket of water and send that sample to Triton. Only then could you prove the Vortechs introduced the issues.
I'm going to do that as soon as I have a spare $50...

Last edited by organism; 03/05/2017 at 11:43 AM.
organism is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 11:43 AM   #46
atp0726
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
Great to hear you caught it in time! Can you post photos?

I can try and get some better ones later. These I took right after I found it. The plastic casing is obviously cracked in a few places and on the shaft of impeller. To early to tell but hopefully things start perking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atp0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 12:32 PM   #47
Mr.Fishtank
Registered Member

Starting to have some of the same issues with my sps. Tip recession and lack of pe. I took my 1 1/2yr old mp40 apart and everything looks ok. Didn't see any cracks or rust. I guess I should pull out my vectra pump and check that just to make sure it is ok. I'm also going to put a poly filter in to pull out anything that might be causing this. The lab test last month showed high Molybdenum. I know it is some kind of metal but what equipment has this type?

Mr.Fishtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 12:34 PM   #48
btb72
Registered Member

Are all of these the new qd?

btb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 03:51 PM   #49
Mr.Fishtank
Registered Member

My MP40 is the old style.

Mr.Fishtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 04:22 PM   #50
bobssecrtsn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fishtank View Post
Starting to have some of the same issues with my sps. Tip recession and lack of pe. I took my 1 1/2yr old mp40 apart and everything looks ok. Didn't see any cracks or rust. I guess I should pull out my vectra pump and check that just to make sure it is ok. I'm also going to put a poly filter in to pull out anything that might be causing this. The lab test last month showed high Molybdenum. I know it is some kind of metal but what equipment has this type?
You will have to inspect the magnet very very carefully you may not see rust coming out yet, it can even be a hairline crack as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btb72 View Post
Are all of these the new qd?
Mine were the new QD models