Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2019, 05:56 PM   #1
Aquaman101
Registered Member

Sump Question - Fuge before Skimmer

Hi All,

Question about the layout of a sump tank if you incorporate a refugium.

Do you put the refuge before or after the skimmer?

My thought was if you put it after the skimmer, it might fail to thrive if the skimmer is doing it's job.

On the other hand, if you put it before the skimmer, some could break off and get into the skimmer.

I was looking at some Triton documentation and they have the refuge in the first section where the tank drains into

Aquaman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 06:21 PM   #2
ibryson
Registered Member

I’m interested to know too. I bought the Skimz UP39 and it’s layout is fuge then skimmer. I always wondered how that would affect copepods. I don’t want the skimmer sucking them up before they can reach the display tank.

I’m thinking there can’t be a huge difference because it seems like a pretty even split between fuge > skimmer and skimmer > fuge.

ibryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 06:59 PM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

A couple thoughts:

The skimmer does need to be in a chamber that's constant water level.

Skimmers don't process anywhere near 100% of the water that goes through the sump, even if the flows match.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2019, 09:01 PM   #4
Kriegad
Registered Member

Triton method depends on macroalgae for primary method of nutrient export, so they want the dirtiest water hitting the fuge to maximize macro growth. If your primary function of fuge is to grow copepods, and secondarily nutrient export, it may make sense to put the skimmer first. If you have a big refugium, I think enough pods would make it past the skimmer to keep your display tank populated.

Kriegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2019, 09:31 PM   #5
CLM65
Registered Member

I believe this is discussed in a BRS video. IIRC, they suggested skimmer before the refugium, but acknowledged either would work.

CLM65 is offline   Reply With Quote