Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2019, 10:44 PM   #1
wk1428
Registered Member

Powerheads and what to choose

I am not a fan of the powerheads I am running. The inability to slow them down at feeding time is getting pretty annoying. So I have been looking at my budget and it is around 300 dollars. So I had a few thoughts. Running a 150 gallon aquarium.
1. Buy nanos connected to a controller and position a few of them to get nice flow. I wouldnt know a good nano set up though.

2. Buy a gyre. At 300 dollars and a aquarium at five ft long it seems smart. I hear it pushes a lot of water but this is not my favorite choice as cleaning would be annoying as well as it seems gimmicky. However, if that's the one to go with I wont disagree.

3. Get mp40s. No electrical inside sounds great and they look sweet. However they are more expensive then the other choices and I have read of them failing which at that price point it does not excite me.

3. Get a nero. It looks nice but internal electrical isnt that exciting. Pushes a good amount of water but not as much as mp40s. At the price point I could get two and not be that sad. Plus i run al lights so combining both under the same controller is kinda neat. But it feels like the wrong choice when just a little more i can get an mp40.

wk1428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2019, 09:34 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

5. Get a feeding ring if thats what your problem is..

The ocean doesn't slow down to allow critters to feed.. Neither should your tank..

Also..Nero/Gyre just have DC power running into the tank (aka harmless)..
That "benefit" that the MP40 states about electricity on the outside is really only a benefit when comparing to old AC (non-controllable) powerheads..

Unread 04/15/2019, 11:14 PM   #3
wk1428
Registered Member

Well wouldnt the electrical being on the outside make it easier to clean and last longer?

wk1428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 02:10 AM   #4
bshow24
Registered Member

Gyres have a decent rep and, although more difficult to clean than a vortech, really aren’t that bad if you stay on top of it. I personally prefer the vortechs though, and have never had an issue with them failing in my 10 years of owning.

Also, listen to Mcgyvr here. The REAL benefit of not having a cord in the tank is more about aesthetics than anything else.

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 09:52 AM   #5
smatter
Registered Member

Tunze isn't a consideration? They just go and go and go. Best customer service in the business.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 11:16 AM   #6
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk1428 View Post
Well wouldnt the electrical being on the outside make it easier to clean and last longer?
That is a nice point. I just hit the power button on the controller and yank it off the inside glass. No wires to pull or rerun and the dry side stays put, have not moved that in 3 1/3 years.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 11:21 AM   #7
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

Had all of them, I converted to all Nero 5.

Hardware quality is very nice, software is very nice and easy to use. You can do some really cool stuff in anti-sync and completely customizing feed modes. I also like that you can slightly aim them and they're smaller than the MP series and you don't have an ugly wart on the side of your tank.

Only thing it needs is a battery backup but I think the new Jebao batteries that just came out works with them.

I've had an MP10 fall off and chip the glass of a tank

FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 10:41 AM   #8
ksed
Registered Member

Have you got a link to the new Jebao battery back up?

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 12:05 PM   #9
75mixedreef
Registered Member

Personally, I have gone through about 3 Jebaos in the last 3 years. I do run 2 powerheads at a time so it was more like 2 years a piece than one but still. Just this morning I ordered a Tunze from BRS using their 10% off spring sale.

After coming home last night to no working powerheads in the tank, reliability is my main focus. If I was short on cash then I might consider the Jebao to put the bigger purchase off like I did before, but since I'm not I'm going to invest a little more so I don't have to keep making short term purchases.

I did consider the Gyre since they were on clearance, but one, they are still expensive for a purchase I was not intending to make, and two, they require more maintenance when cleaning. I have 2 kids 4 and 2, I don't have the time to be messing with crap like that. Cleaning a power head should take about 3 min. I've had a Tunze before and the only reason I haven't been using it is because that one isn't controllable, they are pretty easy to clean.

75mixedreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 02:39 PM   #10
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

The Gyres are also the noisiest when compared to all the new pumps especially a Nero5 or MPx0 Quiet Drive.

I am interested in the new Reefbreeders RPM powerbeads. Looks like a good compromise between a Nero5 and a Jebao.

FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 02:52 PM   #11
75mixedreef
Registered Member

Yeah the noise was another factor since the tank sits right behind the couch at home. I like to keep mine as silent as possible, but the cost and maintenance already helped me make my decision before I read up on that detail.

Last edited by 75mixedreef; 04/17/2019 at 03:25 PM.
75mixedreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2019, 02:14 AM   #12
bigbpro916
Registered Member

I had the reefbreeders RPM on my IM 30l and didn’t like it. I swapped it out for a MP10. Noticed a difference right away.

bigbpro916 is offline   Reply With Quote