Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2011, 12:19 PM   #1
abezr
Registered Member

How to remove corals safely transport need help!

Hey guys, I need help with an issue.
I am buying the stock off of a private seller, his tank is completely full of very nice corals that have been established over a very long period of time.
\My question is... when i show up to his house to pick everything up, how do i transport it and remove from the aquarium without completely destroying all the corals and so on... any tips?

Personaly... i was thinking to bring large plastic boxes from homedepot and placing them in with some water... anyways thanks for any help i can get.

abezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2011, 02:21 PM   #2
steelhead77
Registered Member

That is the prefered way to do it. I've used 18 gallon Rubbermaid Totes to transport water, live rock and corals that were attached to rock. Fish, delicate corals, and single specimans should be bagged first and transported in a cooler or styrofoam box separate from the rock to avoid damage. Sand can be transported in 5 gal buckets. As long as it smells like the beach and not rotten eggs, sand can and should be re-used. Do not rinse it before adding it back to the newly set-up tank.

Current tank info:

180 gallon AGA, 40 gallon custom sump, AquaC EV240 skimmer, PM calc reactor, 3x 250w DIY MH, PCI CL-650 Chiller, 2x Koralia 4's, 2x Koralia 2's
steelhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2011, 02:41 PM   #3
stingythingy45
Registered Member

Are we talking SPS,hard coral?

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon,mixed Reef,2-250 watt Optix 3 pendants(Phoenix 14K)2-54 watt T5 Super actnics ,ASM G-2 Gate/recirc mods,70 gal. basement sump,20L ref
stingythingy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 01:33 PM   #4
abezr
Registered Member

mixed, its got everything... he has a 50 gallon tank with about 25 corals.

abezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Palting
Registered Member

Best way to get a good deal is finding another reefer getting out/upgrading! Congrats.

I assume you have a fully cycled or mature tank ready to receive them, right?

I am also assuming he is selling you the rocks that the corals are attached to as well, right? Makes it so much easier, otherwise near impossible any other way. I've bought rocks with corals and softies on them. Agree with the plastic boxes. Use the original water from the guys tank. Things can get cold pretty quickly in my neck of the woods at this time, so I would take at least 1 heater for each box. Need a power inverter for those. Unless you are transporting several hours, I wouldn't worry about aeration. If it's several hours, then, yes, aerate and agitate with a powerhead.

One more thing. I don't know what you are transporting, other than "he's got everything", so make sure you know the corals so you don't inadvertently put things that can sting one another too close to each other.

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 03:42 PM   #6
mcoomer
Rat Bastard!

If you can get the rocks into a container with the corals attached and prevent the rocks from being jostled and potentially breaking off the corals I'd go that route. If you don't think you can positively secure the rocks to prevent this I'd remove the corals from the rock for transportation. For the SPS, if possible I'd break off a chunk of rock. If not, use cutters to break off the coral as close to the rock as possible. Attach the coral or chunk of rock to a frag plug, poke a hole in a small piece of styrofoam, and use rubber bands to strap the frag plug to the styrofoam. Float the corals upside down in your container.

Mike

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon mixed reef; Reeflo Barracuda, Tunze 6105 (X3), 250W Radiums with dual HQI Blue Wave 7, Reefkeeper Elite controller, custom sump with ASM G4, carbon and GFO reactors
mcoomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corals, safe transport.